US Nintendo Media Summit Details

By Adam Riley 24.02.2010 35

US Nintendo Media Summit Details on Nintendo gaming news, videos and discussion

Whilst readers await the European Nintendo Media Summit, the US event is currently taking place. Want to know the details? Read on...Those of you expecting to find out more about the end of year line-up may be disappointed due to the fact that the US Media Summit is focusing on the first half of 2010.

However, as Cammie Dunaway claims, there is plenty to keep gamers happy. There will be 15 Wii and 8 Nintendo DS games on show, all of which are due to land in the first half of this year.

DSi XL - 28th March, US$189.99

To start with, Cammie reiterated how almost 25 million Wii games were sold in December 2009 alone. She then confirmed that the Nintendo DSi XL will land in the US on 28th March for US$189.99. Nintendo has big plans for the system, using it to fill in the gaps left in the market that have yet to be properly infiltrated. So far the approach has worked in Japan, but the major test is how Western markets will respond to the system, with its 4.2-inch screens. One of the games being pushed alongside the updated DS system is America's Test Kitchen, which works rather like Cooking Guide in that the product narrates cooking instructions to the user, notes can be input on the touch-screen and trading can take place amongst friends. 100 Classic Book Collection is finally heading across the pond as well, after being out in the UK since December 2008, under the new name of 100 Classic Books.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Sin & Punishment

Big news on the Wii front: Super Mario Galaxy 2 is set to launch in the US on 23rd May! It also looks like Nintendo is taking a leaf out of New Super Mario Bros.' book by including some 2D platform sections including Yoshi. Treasure's Sin & Punishment: Star Successor will launch on 7th June, complete with international leaderboards where high scores can be posted online. FlingSmash (a renamed Span Smasher, perhaps?) for Wii will launch in the summer, whilst Pokemon HeartGold / SoulSilver on DS will hit on 14th March, Picross 3D on 3rd May, and WarioWare: DIY on 28th March (alongside its WiiWare companion title, WarioWare: DIY Showcase).

WiiWare & DSiWare Offerings

11 of the games on offer at the US Media Summit are coming out on DSiWare and WiiWare. Dan Adelman, Manager of Business Development, confirmed that there are currently 347 Virtual Console releases on the US retro download service, as well as 189 games on WiiWare and 127 on DSiWare. A remake of bit Generations: Dot Stream from the GBA is heading to DSiWare in the form of Art Style: Light Trax and Art Style: Rotozoa is heading to WiiWare. Mega Man 10 will land on WiiWare on 21st March, Max & the Magic Marker is coming on 8th March, Cave Story will finally launch on 22nd March, whilst Super Meat Boy plus And Yet It Moves both still have a vague 'summer' window, with the latter game supposedly coming to retail as well.

Other games mentioned include Rage of the Gladiator, Metal Torrent, X-Scape and Photo Dojo (the US name for Photo Fighter X), all coming in Spring.

First & Third Party Million Sellers

Following the barrage of 2010 confirmed games, Nintendo has confirmed that 22 First Party games have passed the million sales mark around the world, whilst a further 54 from Third Party developers have also achieved that same feat on Wii. As for the Nintendo DS, 45 First Party and 63 Third Party games have managed to cross the same sales goal.

Wii Exclusive Prince of Persia Treat

Moving back to some new releases, it has been announced that a nice little exclusive treat will be included in Prince of Persia for Wii, with the original 1992 classic being available to play. Ghostwire: Link to the Paranormal is heading to Nintendo DSi, courtesy of Majesco Entertainment as well, with the title using the in-built camera to insert ghostly imagery right into the game itself. Disney's Guilty Party is coming to Wii, with four-player action where the Wii Remote can be used to interrogate people or search for hidden clues. This Disney title is actually coming in the second half of the year on Wii.

Monster Hunter 3 Bundle

Monster Hunter 3 is to be bundled with the Classic Controller PRO when it arrives on 20th April, be compatible with the Wii Speak peripheral and offer free online play (with text chat for those without Wii Speak). On top of that, a demo of the game can be played from GameStop stores from 8th March onwards. In an effort to convince as many people to buy the game as possible, the demo disc playable at GameStop stores will include two quests to tryout. Additionally, those that jump in with early pre-orders will get a special treat - a Monster Hunter 3 card that contains a code for 500 Nintendo Points, which can be redeemed for anything on the WiiWare or DSiWare services!

Nintendo Publishing Dragon Quest IX in the US

More massive news: Remember how Nintendo said it would help Square Enix will the publishing of Dragon Quest IX in the West? Well, Nintendo of America is actually set to publish Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies on DS over in the US!

Rewards for Club Nintendo Fans

Nintendo has not forgotten about the Club Nintendo scheme either, with a selection of new Mario posters set to be put up on offer, plus the Game & Watch DS Collection from Japan, and Grill-Off with Ultra Hand, a localised version of the game offered to Japanese Wii owners.

Team Ninja's Metroid Due June

But wait, there is more! Metroid: Other M, the joint project between Nintendo and Tecmo's Team Ninja, will hit US soil on 27th June. Who said we could not have three big hitters in a year? The Legend of Zelda could indeed be a Winter 2010 release after all.

[ Thanks to IGN for the updates ]

Comments

Tons of great news from the Media Summit.

Free demo discs at GameStop of Monster Hunter Tri!

jax (guest) 24.02.2010#2

i'm so sad |( no last window midnight promise . but i'm glad for a smg2 date

I'm updating it as I get more info in Smilie

Adam Riley [ Director :: Cubed3 ]

UNITE714: Weekly Prayers | Bible Verses

Fact: Third party games don't sell on Wii*

*excluding the 54 that actually have sold more than 1 million

( Edited 24.02.2010 17:56 by Sonic_13 )

There you go - presentation over! Metroid and Mario early in 2010. I reckon that leaves Zelda and Wii Vitality for Christmas Smilie

Adam Riley [ Director :: Cubed3 ]

UNITE714: Weekly Prayers | Bible Verses

Ubisoft is going about making the Wii version of Prince of Persia different from the other versions the right way - not by making it easier, but by including the original SNES game and co-op play.

Ubisoft has been treating Wii really well; much better than most other 3rd parties. Hopefully they reap the rewards with great sales.

( Edited 24.02.2010 18:12 by Sonic_13 )

FUCK YEAR!!!

So I'm guessing that the UK one will basically the same, just replacing the dates with EU launches? I'm hoping for some extra details though....

I'll be live blogging (well, tweeting) on C3's Twitter tomorrow, so all the facts for the UK as we get them...Smilie

Mason said:

Sweet one Mason! Enjoy your early start tomorrow.....

I'm going to bed...Got to get my coach to London at 1:30am Smilie Will arrive there at 6am, meet Mike at about half 8, then toddle off to the O2 Arena Smilie

Adam Riley [ Director :: Cubed3 ]

UNITE714: Weekly Prayers | Bible Verses

Where you'll be accosted by me...full of man flu! Should be a good day. We'll be sure to get loads of great coverage for you guys.

Trying to think of a witty signature after 'Hacker-gate'...

Spotted this;

Metroid™: Other M, the incredible new Metroid game developed for Wii through a collaboration by Nintendo and the world-renowned Team Ninja, launches June 27. The game looks at the classic franchise from a new perspective: While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran’s past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote™ controller held sideways to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages.

So sole remote usage for Other M eh? Frees up the expansion slot for something else I'd say. *cough*VitalitySensor*cough*

jax (guest) 24.02.2010#13

jesusaz. do you think there is a chance for nintendo to give a usa release date for (last window midnight promise)

Phoenixus said:
Spotted this;

Switch to 3D at any time?
THAT...IS...AWESOME!!!!

I wonder how the sideways control will work when you switch to 3D.

Phoenixus said:
Spotted this;

I'm actually not sure how I feel about that. It sounds like it can be very useful, but it also sounds like it could be very annoying. But maybe I'm just thinking of that system in use with the Prime series, and I'll be pleasantly surprised at its implementation.

NNID: crackedthesky
My blog, mostly about writing: http://www.davidjlovato.com

justonesp00lturn said:
Phoenixus said:
Spotted this;

Are you referring to the 2D/3D mode or the idea of the vitality sensor?
Regardless, I'm sure both would be completely optional to use so I don't think it could be annoying...

So basically Metroid: Another M will use the control setup of Super Paper Mario? Seems good to me.

Good News: Pokemon, Mario, Metroid, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest all this summer.

Bad News: I'll be broke Smilie

"Do a Barrel Roll!"

Really not sure what I think about other M. Why make it Wiimote only? Just makes it seem like it will be unnecessarily awkward to play... Smilie

Yay, let's make it casual by having it play with as few buttons as possible, rather than opting for controls that actually work comfortably. Switching the way I hold a controller every few seconds? No thanks.

But... I'll see how it plays when it comes out.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Sonic_13 said:
Tons of great news from the Media Summit.

Free demo discs at GameStop of Monster Hunter Tri!

I assumed the demo disc wasn't free for the taking but that it would be playable in-store on their locked down system. Am I wrong and it is something that is free for the taking?

If so, it would be the only way I might be cajolled into buying the game. As it stands right now I have no interest in MH Tri (not my kind of game) and I would not be standing in a store playing a demo with people looking over my shoulder watching my character trip over his (?) bootlaces.

Give me a demo disc I can take home and get into and I might buy the full game.

Why don't publishers do this?

Look unto me in every thought. Doubt not. Fear not.

BlueRocks said:
Sonic_13 said:
Tons of great news from the Media Summit.

Free demo discs at GameStop of Monster Hunter Tri!

Give me a demo disc I can take home and get into and I might buy the full game.

Why don't publishers do this?

You're probably right. I hadn't considered that.
I had assumed that they meant a disc you could take and keep because IGN worded it "Nintendo announces a partnership with GameStop to release an exclusive demo disc of the game to the retailer on March 8."

Gamestop always has some game playable in store, but then again those are always the full version of the game and not special demos.

( Edited 24.02.2010 20:02 by Sonic_13 )

Not a fan of nintendo in this instance needlessly pushing the side remote setup because its newbie friendly. Metroid other M sounds suited for nun chuk and remote.

Why would you want to go between sideways to pointing at the screen through the game?

Lyra said:

Why do people always assume stuff like that is done for the casual crowd. This game is being made 100% not for the casual crowd. Blaming the casual crowd is really just becoming a lame excuse for people to criticize features they might not like.

"I found the game too easy. Obviously it was dumbed down for casual gamers"
"I don't like the controls. Obviously they were meant for casual gamers."
"The graphics aren't how I pictured they would be. Obviously this game is meant for casual gamers."
"Where's my guns, explosions, and gallons of blood splattered everywhere? Obviously this game is a casual game."

( Edited 24.02.2010 20:16 by Sonic_13 )

Sonic_13 said:

Hey, if the control scheme actually works I'll like it.

However, if it doesn't, it's either for the "use less buttons" reason, or sheer stupidity on Nintendo's part, because there would be no problem in allowing Nunchuck or CC control for this.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Anyone else notice there appears to be two cursors in this screenshot of Metroid: Other M?

Site Feed
Who's Online?
imjamesgrech, Insanoflex, Renan

There are 3 members online at the moment.