Cave Story Goes Fully 3D on the 3DS

By Jorge Ba-oh 11.02.2011 15

Cave Story Goes Fully 3D on the 3DS on Nintendo gaming news, videos and discussion

WiiWare and DSiWare project Cave Story is being upgraded as a full retail release for Nintendo's upcoming 3DS console.

Instead of a straightforward port with 3D output tagged on, NIS America and Daisuke “Pixel” Amaya will be remaking the entire game as a side-scrolling 3D platformer, trying to keep the feel of the original retro project but injecting a lot more polygons.

Image for Cave Story Goes Fully 3D on the 3DS


Remixed music, bonus easter eggs and content will be introduced to add longetivity and for fans, but will remain as close as possible to the original - even down to the level design, enemies and environments, all modelled in 3D.

Image for Cave Story Goes Fully 3D on the 3DS


Original opening level design:

Image for Cave Story Goes Fully 3D on the 3DS


Cave Story 3D level design:

Image for Cave Story Goes Fully 3D on the 3DS
Box art for Cave Story 3D
Developer

Nicalis

Publisher

Nicalis

Genre

2D Platformer

Players

1

C3 Score

Rated $score out of 10  8/10

Reader Score

Rated $score out of 10  8/10 (2 Votes)

European release date Out now   North America release date Out now   Japan release date Out now   Australian release date Out now   

Comment on this article

You can comment as a guest or join the Cubed3 community below: Sign Up for Free Account Login

Preview PostPreview Post Your Name:
Validate your comment
  Enter the letters in the image to validate your comment.
Submit Post

Comments

I though its appeal was its 8-bit graphics. It'll be interesting to see what they do in 3D.

Our member of the week

Same here, the whole appeal of the game was the retro style, so making it into a 3D game, I'd have preferred that they made a completely new game instead, like a sequel or something.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

I wonder if we can pan the screen and look around the level. it will be pretty cool to be able to look around a 3d cave like that.

When all is bad don't look for a easy way out. Because you wont know what to do once your out

This game had miles of appeal beyond retro graphics. How about the unique and original stroyline? The riveting character development? The clever and beautiful level designs? Or the fact that game is just plain fun?

NNID: crackedthesky
My blog, mostly about writing: http://www.davidjlovato.com

justonesp00lturn said:
This game had miles of appeal beyond retro graphics. How about the unique and original stroyline? The riveting character development? The clever and beautiful level designs? Or the fact that game is just plain fun?

Indeed. I must say, I kind of like the new look. I'm glad they're brining it to the 3DS actually, never really played it, so I may pick up the full retail, portable version. I'll definitely give the PC version a try beforehand though.

( Edited 11.02.2011 17:05 by Mush123 )

I never got around to getting this yet, so a remade 3DS version with bonus content and other goodies is coming in handy. Smilie

KeithMuiier (guest) 11.02.2011#7

Same here, I have yet to play this but it looks great can't wait for it on the 3DS!

Phen0m (guest) 11.02.2011#8

I look forward this one. Sounds interesting...

I just bought the game on Wiiware a few days ago, it's an amazingly fun game.

Definitely double dip for this version!

I hope they put some more modern sensibilitys in too though.
None of these choices-of-no-return where you miss out on stuff because of some weapon choice. Repitition isn't fun so the player should be able to expirence all the game without having to replay it again.

http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+

Darkflame said:
I hope they put some more modern sensibilitys in too though.
None of these choices-of-no-return where you miss out on stuff because of some weapon choice. Repitition isn't fun so the player should be able to expirence all the game without having to replay it again.

Nah those are good, you have to make a choice and stick with it.
It's not like there detrimental to the game, it's dosn't make you get stuck in an area and now you can't continue.
And some people do like playing through it multiple times so it's kind of cool doing it differently the next time you play.

This...isssss.................AWESOME!!!! I was thinking about buying either the Wii or DSi version but now I'm glad I didn't. This is the one I'll be getting!!

It is not wise to speak on subjects you do not know all facts about, nor is it smart to judge a game based on looks alone. PSN: Nintendo_Gamer 3DS: 4296-3029-7422

This makes me kinda sad... for me the old school graphics were what made the game so fantastic, like a beacon of light in a hungry market right next to Megaman 9 and 10. It IS a great game and has a great story, but the old 2D graphics were a massive part of it's charm for me.

Jimmy2000 said:
Darkflame said:
I hope they put some more modern sensibilitys in too though.
None of these choices-of-no-return where you miss out on stuff because of some weapon choice. Repitition isn't fun so the player should be able to expirence all the game without having to replay it again.

Nah those are good, you have to make a choice and stick with it.

If your not told in advance its as good as random. Its just frustrating even if it doesn't make the game impossible or anything.

People have limited lives and if your going to make them replay the game there has to be a LOT more differences.
Eternal Darkness pulled it of to some extent (different enemys and boss's, despite all the same puzzles).

http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+

Darkflame said:
Jimmy2000 said:
Darkflame said:
I hope they put some more modern sensibilitys in too though.
None of these choices-of-no-return where you miss out on stuff because of some weapon choice. Repitition isn't fun so the player should be able to expirence all the game without having to replay it again.

Nah those are good, you have to make a choice and stick with it.

If your not told in advance its as good as random. Its just frustrating even if it doesn't make the game impossible or anything.

People have limited lives and if your going to make them replay the game there has to be a LOT more differences.
Eternal Darkness pulled it of to some extent (different enemys and boss's, despite all the same puzzles).

In what way is it frustrating? I just can't see it that way, if it's not impeding my progress then it's not frustrating in the slightest.

Having everything spelled out for you is kind of annoying in most games these days imo.Smilie

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Sign up today for blogs, games collections, reader reviews and much more
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Flynnie, jesusraz

There are 2 members online at the moment.