Cubed3 Nintendo gaming, Wii and DS

3DS AR Cards are Revealed! Including Zelda and Pikmin

3DS AR Cards are Revealed! Including Zelda and Pikmin on Nintendo gaming news, videos and discussion

Today, GAME got hold of a Nintendo 3DS and to get gamers excited, the company held an unboxing through images on their Twitter account. The new images revealed something that Nintendo have kept secret, up until now and the company revealed what other five AR Cards that would be coming with the system. What sort of cards would those be?

The image below shows a number of different Nintendo characters making it onto the cards, with Mario, Link, Kirby, Samus and Pikmin all making an appearance. It's not know yet what each of them will do though, but could we see built-in Pikmin and Metroid games from the systems launch?

Image for 3DS AR Cards are Revealed! Including Zelda and Pikmin

AR Games work by placing a card on a real-life surface. 3D graphics then appear on screen and you can then interact with them in various ways.

Read and post comments

Share this article Share this article

17.02.2011 16:21

61774

Reader comments - add yours today Comments on this Article

Ohhh hell yes!! I tried the AR game on the 3DS and it was simply amazing. I wonder if third-party developers would incorporate this part of their games. Imagine a Resident Evil AR game ;O

( Edited 09.10.2012 10:12 by Guest )

AR is the one thing I really hope get's used often in both the 3DS and NGP. With the 3DS, it'd be cool if every publisher put a card or two in all their games.

( Edited 09.10.2012 10:12 by Guest )

I keep forgetting the 3DS has this. Could be awesome, we'll have to find out.

( Edited 09.10.2012 10:12 by Guest )

Staff Member

Wow, I can't wait to find out what these do. Mostly excited about the Link, Kirby and Samus ones. Smilie

( Edited 09.10.2012 10:12 by Guest )

Oh wow! I'm really excited about this! What will this bring us I wonder?

Staff Member

I'm really curious what type of things they let you do. Smilie

Seeing Pikmin come to life on my desk is just going to be adorable.

Interesting. Perhaps this could be kind of a successor to the E-Reader?

It requires great courage to look at oneself honestly, and forge one's own path.

bruce1289 (guest) 17.02.2011 21:03#9

Resident Evel in AR haha that would be awesome.. Call of duty zombies!!!!!!

A RE one would be amazing. *Imagines Nemesis popping out* O.O

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

There are so many possibilities with this, I hope developers use this! It looks so good so far. Cant wait till March.. well really almost april Smilie

Sam (guest) 17.02.2011 23:21#12

Only 5, 6 weeks to go don't worry!

that was a low blow dont remind us how many weeks.. lol

This is so epic, I was not happy with the fact not mario no link or other big nintendo franchise for launch date, but this is is what I need, now I am happy with my 3ds ;p and doa and winning eleven ;p

PS3 is just good for Catherine, Demons souls, Dark Souls, and Folklore

Hey Miyamoto, kinda gave a Fore-shadow of the PikMin one, or someone did. when they are talking about the tech demo, and they said that it will be nice to see the little critters jump out at you.

When all is bad don't look for a easy way out. Because you wont know what to do once your out
Senior ModeratorCubed3 Member

How strange, I actually walked into game today as they got their 3DS (Oxford) and had a little mess, no games or nothing, just a mess with the cameras and the hub. The 3D is really effective! The sweet spot surprised me as well, it doesn't have just one (which is quite large), It has multiple sweet spots Kind of like a holo image,as you move to the side it jumps and re-adjusts. Obviously you get the best effect head on, but you can see it at an angle as well.
The circle pad was brilliant and the console felt sturdy. Glad I Pre-ordered one Smilie

Echoes221 said:

Are you F-ing serious?

That's amazing.

( Edited 18.02.2011 04:37 by Wolvesgod )

Echoes221 said:

That right there is great news to hear as no one said anything about "sweet spot" auto adjustments or ranges. Thanks man for making me even more thrilled to have pre-ordered it!

X7 (guest) 18.02.2011 06:41#19

But does it actually mean Mario and Link would come out of these cards? It might just be the design?

Staff Member

A user over at NeoGAF apparently has a 3DS and explained what some of those cards do, although he didn't get to play through all of them yet to test everything. He said that you unlock some other AR games by completing various levels in the already existing ones.

He also said that there's some sort of billiards style game in which the landscape is warped and you must shoot the ball, using the A button, to reach a target.

According to him, the ? card includes all six AR games and the other 5 cards are for that one AR game in which you can bring Link, Mario and co. into the world.

Senior ModeratorCubed3 Member

"sweet spot" auto adjustments

Not auto adjustment per se, more the image jumps. So you tilt it sideways from a head on position, it un-focuses as the 3D is lost then it kind of 'jumps' so you can see the image clear again. Like your eyes catch sight of the 'slats' that run over the screen to give the 3D effect like a hololgram image that you get on cards/kids books. Obviously its not as good, but the effect is still there and you can still see the image. But that Sweet spot is narrower than the main one.

( Edited 18.02.2011 11:23 by Echoes221 )

SirLink said:

After seeing how lazy and crap the Mii AR card was (static images? really?), I kind of expected Nintendo to go the lazy route with these Nintendo character cards. It's a shame we won't see a virtual Samus jumping and shooting aorund on our desks. Smilie

I figured they would be statues. Expecting anything more is a little naive, especially since Nintendo is throwing these in for free. However, changing the poses and being able to rotate around them is still pretty cool.

WOOT I CAN PLAY WITH SAMUS!!!! Finally my hottest gaming fantasies come to life.....

It is not wise to speak on subjects you do not know all facts about, nor is it smart to judge a game based on looks alone. PSN: Nintendo_Gamer 3DS: 4296-3029-7422
X5 (guest) 18.02.2011 18:26#25

Vorash Kadan said:

Shes not naked mate

Follow this topic Follow this topic

Keep up with new comments with the RSS feed for this topic, or subscribe via email above.
Turqoise Radio - Cubed3's Glass to the Wall