The game currently known by Western gamers as Fire Emblem: Awakening on Nintendo 3DS is all set to head to the US. Fire Emblem: Kakusei is currently storming the charts over in Japan, with sales of over 400,000 units now, steering it ever closer to becoming the second biggest selling game in the long running series that began on the NES / Famicom back in 1990. Following Nintendo's specific 3DS conference, many were sad to see that no word of the Intelligent Systems-developed Strategy RPG was uttered. However, since then, good old Reginald Fils-Aime has been informing all and sundry that it is in fact heading to the US this year. Why no Press Release has been dished out yet, though, is unknown, but the news is great nonetheless.
For reference, the Japanese sales are so impressive that some recap of its performance compared to other entries needs to be driven home:
- Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (Super Famicom, 21/01/94) - 776,000
- Fire Emblem: Holy War Story (Super Famicom, 14/05/96) - 498,000
- Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword (GBA, 29/03/02) - 345,574
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (Famicom, 20/04/90) - 329,000
- Fire Emblem Gaiden (Famicom, 14/03/92) - 325,000
- Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow (Nintendo DS, 15/07/10) - 247,248
- Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (Game Boy Advance, 25/04/03) - 265,286
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Nintendo DS, 07/08/08) - 252,309
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Game Boy Advance, 07/10/04) - 246,719
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 22/02/07) - 171,924
- Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Super Famicom, 28/08/99) - 158,695
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube, 20/04/05) - 156,413
Clearly to reach the dizzy heights of the Japanese-only Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem would be quite difficult, crawling towards the second position target of 498,000 is definitely possible given its current steady pace. Last week it sold 9,654, according to Media Create, bringing its total so far to 400,999.
Could Fire Emblem: Awakening climb the list into second position before the US, and hopefully European, release comes around?