Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer

By Jorge Ba-oh 29.08.2014 10

Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer on Nintendo gaming news, videos and discussion

This morning Nintendo confirmed rumoured character Shulk for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. games.

Within today's myriad of announcements, the company confirmed the Xenoblade star as part of the ever-expanding roster of fighters in both the Wii U and 3DS versions. Wielding his rather chunky sword, the fighter unleashes nippy combos and can alter his movesets using the Monado ability of his blade - manipulating the energy around it.

To ease him into the action-packed fighter, Nintendo also put together an existing debut trailer, which sees Shulk fending off other swordsmen - Link and Marth - in a duel to end all blade battles.


 
Image for Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer
Image for Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer
Image for Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer
Image for Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer
Image for Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer
Image for Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer
Image for Shulk Announced for Super Smash Bros - Watch Debut Trailer

What do you think of Shulk's inclusion in the game?

Box art for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Developer

Bandai Namco

Publisher

Nintendo

Genre

Fighting

Players

4

C3 Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10

Reader Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10 (6 Votes)

European release date Out now   North America release date Out now   Japan release date Out now   Australian release date Out now    Also on Also on Nintendo eShop

Comment on this article

You can comment as a guest or join the Cubed3 community below: Sign Up for Free Account Login

Preview PostPreview Post Your Name:
Validate your comment
  Enter the letters in the image to validate your comment.
Submit Post

Comments

Its great that Nintendo is seeing Xenoblade as a significant asset. 

http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+

I don't really know a lot about Xenoblade but he looks pretty fun to use. Lol at that alt costume though xD

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

It's a great edition! I would have thought that Pheonix Wright and Professor Layton would have had a better chance than Shulk. I am hoping for a few more fighters to join the fight but I can't really expect anymore, with the obvious inclusion of some of the more recently *spoiler revealed* fighters plus the hope of inclusion of Ness and Ice Climbers it feels like the roster is going to top 50 fighters! 

I am still hoping for Rayman, Crash and Bayonetta! That would be a perfect roster then!

Flynnie said:
It's a great edition! I would have thought that Pheonix Wright and Professor Layton would have had a better chance than Shulk. I am hoping for a few more fighters to join the fight but I can't really expect anymore, with the obvious inclusion of some of the more recently *spoiler revealed* fighters plus the hope of inclusion of Ness and Ice Climbers it feels like the roster is going to top 50 fighters! 

I am still hoping for Rayman, Crash and Bayonetta! That would be a perfect roster then!


I wouldn't hope for many third party characters, they are always always going to be very special exceptions and will never take up a significant part of the roster. I'd say Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man are it. Bayo also has no chance because Sonic is the SEGA rep for this game, and there's apparently a "one character per company" rule when it comes to third party charas. This is ultimately a Nintendo characters fighting game rather than a video game all stars game.



( Edited 29.08.2014 16:31 by SuperLink )

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

SuperLink said:
Flynnie said:
It's a great edition! I would have thought that Pheonix Wright and Professor Layton would have had a better chance than Shulk. I am hoping for a few more fighters to join the fight but I can't really expect anymore, with the obvious inclusion of some of the more recently *spoiler revealed* fighters plus the hope of inclusion of Ness and Ice Climbers it feels like the roster is going to top 50 fighters! 

I am still hoping for Rayman, Crash and Bayonetta! That would be a perfect roster then!


I wouldn't hope for many third party characters, they are always always going to be very special exceptions and will never take up a significant part of the roster. I'd say Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man are it. Bayo also has no chance because Sonic is the SEGA rep for this game, and there's apparently a "one character per company" rule when it comes to third party charas. This is ultimately a Nintendo characters fighting game rather than a video game all stars game.

I was going on the basis that Shulk is surely a 2nd/3rd party character? Ok well on that basis then Professor Layton, Rayman and Crash could still make it Smilie

But I do agree, its not a en masse all-stars game. I really want a few other Nintendo based characters in there. Would love to play as more DK/Starfox/Metroid characters but fat chance of them being included!

I'm already satisfied with the roster so anything more is just a massive bonus! 

Flynnie said:
I was going on the basis that Shulk is surely a 2nd/3rd party character? Ok well on that basis then Professor Layton, Rayman and Crash could still make it Smilie

Monolith Soft is wholly owned by Nintendo (technically 97% owned, with the three founders each owning 1%), which means Shulk is a 1st party character which is pretty awesome.

If they were going to add someone, Professor Layton is probably the most likely since I think he's only appeared on Nintendo platforms (and maybe an iOS game).

Crash would be unlikely since, even though he's technically a multiplatform character, he has a strong associated with Sony and Playstation.

Rayman could probably have served as Ubisoft's rep (and in a way he is since there's a trophy of him).

Flynnie said:

I was going on the basis that Shulk is surely a 2nd/3rd party character? Ok well on that basis then Professor Layton, Rayman and Crash could still make it Smilie

But I do agree, its not a en masse all-stars game. I really want a few other Nintendo based characters in there. Would love to play as more DK/Starfox/Metroid characters but fat chance of them being included!

I'm already satisfied with the roster so anything more is just a massive bonus! 


A 2nd party is a company that is owned by Nintendo iirc, like Monolith or HAL. Monolith is owned by Nintendo, so Shulk is just as much a Nintendo character as Kirby is (Kirby being a character created by HAL, a Nintendo owned 2nd party).

Layton, Rayman, and Crash are all free to appear on other platforms (Crash especially has very little association with the Nintendo brand), whereas the Xenoblade IP is totally owned by Nintendo despite Monolith creating it. The only guest characters in SSB4 are Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic.

I do agree there should be another DK character especially given how successful DK has been lately, but I think the Nintendo characters in this one have been fantastic and have covered a much wider amount of games than usual so far. As for Metroid.. that's a toughie. I can't think of many characters besides a certain space dragon that'd fit the role, and that character seems to be destined to be a boss no matter how popular he is.. Smilie

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

I think its asking a lot for Crash to be fair, he's more likely to appear in the Sony knock-off game. 

Nonetheless I can't see why holding out for Layton/Wright/Rayman isn't possible. Especially the latter, I think the whole trophy situation is surely a wind up, I can't see why he would be a trophy and not a character...

On the Nintendo front I am happy that Fire Emblem have had a good showing with a fair few characters. It would be amazing to see a revised Wolf (Starfox), Krystal (Starfox), Cranky (DK) , Mini Ridley (Metroid)

On the whole though this is a dream team of Smash characters, i'll certainly be getting both the 3DS and Wii U version!  Absolutely stoked with the line up and features! I also love the audio option in sleep mode! I've been wanting this for ages! 


Flynnie said:
 I also love the audio option in sleep mode! I've been wanting this for ages!

That's going to be awesome!

I missed hearing about this feature when it was first announced - had to just go look it up!

I wish this could some how be implemented into older games. Id love to be able to listen to Awakening's , OoT and Starfox 64 OST's on the go. 

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Sign up today for blogs, games collections, reader reviews and much more
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz

There are 1 members online at the moment.