Official Shenmue Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Image for

As I have gone completely mad on shenmue in these recent weeks and that everybody here seems to like it I thought it was time to create an official shenmue thread. You can talk about the old shenmues or the new shenmue 3 (if it comes out) or talk about new feature shenmue 3 could have. Anyway it's up to you.

( Edited 25.06.2014 11:03 by Azuardo )

I really wanna be able to play these games! But I've only got Shenmue II & Shenmue I is harder to find! Ahh woe is me!

By the way, don't you need to ask a mod if you want a thread to be official? Smilie

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

By the way, don't you need to ask a mod if you want a thread to be official?

Opps! sorry I didnt know

Shenmue = godlike.

A simply sublime game, graphically brilliant, sweeping orchestral score and oddles of gameplay. Anyone else find that Shenmue 2 completely outclasses the original.

Actually I found that shenmue outclassed the second. The second one (even though im only near the beginning) Doesnt seem as good but I think it because ive got it on XBOX.

The XBOX controller just doesnt feel right with it.

Well get it on the DC Smilie

Anyone know what the songs called on shenmue were your taking Nazomi home on the bike.

Shenmue 2 certainly does eclipse the original, especialy since on DC you don't have the simply terrible american voice acting to ruin every important cut scene. The graphics are much nicer, a lot less slow down and pop-up and a much bigger more varied world.
Not to say Shenmue I is bad, its awesome and should be played, but Shenmue II improves on it a hell of a lot without changing the formula very much.

It's going to be shit and you jolly well know it.

Yeah, the voice acting does turn it into a differenct classo f game. Although we lose a few things in the translation.

For instance, Yuan is a transvestite. and the Dou Niu is gay, but we never get that in the translation.

For instance, Yuan is a transvestite. and the Dou Niu is gay, but we never get that in the translation.

Really? I had my suspisions...Smilie

Yeah, it's a big joke in a Japanese version. Ryo asking for a guy wearing lipstick and leapord skin.

I've got Shenmue II on DC too Smilie but I can't play it! I only have 4 DC games & it's one of them, all the others I've completed... Smilie

Well I hope I can find Shenmue I soon.

& OMG the topic got STICKZ0R3D!!

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Shenmue 2 certainly does eclipse the original,

Not to say Shenmue I is bad, its awesome and should be played, but Shenmue II improves on it a hell of a lot without changing the formula very much.

ok, i have Shenmue II on my x box, and i have to say its one of the most boring non eventful games i have ever played. infact i might go as far as saying it is the most boring game ever.

somebody please explain whats meant to be so good about it? you just walk around, asking stupid questions. you never seem to fight. im not just slating it becuase everyone loves it, i bought it expecting it to be amazing.. and it just isnt.

Have you played Shenmue 1?

nope, would that make me appreciate walking round for 20 hours more?

Yes, as by the end of Shenmue 1 you actually CARE about Ryo.

It's not a game for everyone, at its heart it's a pretty traditional, story driven Adventure RPG with some little innovative aspects that make it seem more revolutionary than it actually is. Shenmue is about the overall experience, if you can't cope with shitty controls and dodgey graphics it's not for you, if you can't see past the HORRENDOUS american voice acting that plague Shenmue and the Xbox version of Shenmue 2, it's not for you.

There shouldn't be TOO much wandering around, I'd played the original at that point so I knew exactly how the game worked, maybe if you jump straight into Shenmue II it's harder to work out. But please, bare with it for a bit longer, it's worth it. If not, get the original on DC and the sequal on DC as well as it is much much better.

( Edited on 26.04.2006 15:33 by Brenda )

well i stopped playing it after a few hours.

my brother has played up to the part of the game where you trying to get into some building, the yellow head building or something. dunno put it down months ago.

and the most challenging part of the game so far, has been walking across wooden beams suspended over a derelict building & tapping a direction on the pad, until you get up to the 10th floor. and if you fall off you have to start all the way from the beginning. which is probably the most annoying thing ive ever seen in a game.

Yes but the question is will shenmue 3 work really well with the wii.

I think Shenmue would work like a dream with Wii.
Using your hands to pick things up, then turning your wrist to see objects at different angles, also the turning of the capsule toy machine lever would be easily immitated.
Perhaps the QTE's would ask you to block or lash out to create a virtual martial art in real-time, you could also literally make a reach for a ledge when falling as opposed to tapping the A button which could be considered a little abstract now that Wii has materialised.

( Edited on 01.07.2006 22:55 by SKI )

( Edited on 01.07.2006 22:58 by SKI )

I played Shenmue 2 for about 1 hour and it was OK im not saying the game is shite (coz i havent played thru it) but it wasnt crap either it was OKeyish!!
Maybe i need to play thu the game to see how good it is!?!? I played it on the Xbox!

I see all these people insulting the Nintendo corporation because of the lack of mature content. Yet there is something about Nintendo (at least their games) that strikes a certain unadulterated feeling of joy!!!  Pokemon Y - 1048-9263-5562

Hmm, with the XBOX version I found the colours of this beautiful game were washed out and bland, not like the originally vibrant DC version.
And yeah, its a good idea to see them through, it's just a shame after completing the first game, you can carry your data across to the sequal using the DC's VMU, but once you finish with the sequel, your left with two games of Shenmue data and no Shenmue 3.
If Sega ever decide to release a threequel, they'd have to consider integrating the previous installments, otherwise Shemnue will lose its ability to tell a captivating story, through very important steps in the form of gameplay and adventure.
A 'previously, in Shenmue 1+2' wont suffice.

The thing with Shenmue was, I guess, is you either liked it cause you even had to wait for the buses, or you hated it cause you even had to wait for the buses!

New shenmue online vid

Currently downloading.

I'm not that interested in it though to be honest, seems like a cheap Korean cash in, and isn't even going to be released over here. Oh and MMOs are shit.

But high sales of this could prompt Shenmue 2 back into the fold.

Der SegaHund said:
Currently downloading.Im not that interested in it though to be honest, seems like a cheap Korean cash in, and isnt even going to be released over here. Oh and MMOs are shit.

MMOs aren't shit Smilie

"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh." Fly fast, stay low, hit hard
Guide to using the Metroid Bounty Hunters.
{Guild}Ohmdal: But how did you get the poo inside of the box when the goat was sleeping on top of it?
{Guild}Ohmdal: oops wrong chat

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, GamingLillyCat, mikem52

There are 3 members online at the moment.