Latest Purchases

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Image for

�335, which isn't too bad.

I also have the next version up, but it's a fat bastard and I hate carrying it around. It hurts my arms - which ain't good when you're preparing for a gig. This isn't as loud, but it still should suffice for most nights. Smilie

Oh also...

Image for

For a tenner. Smilie

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

mOojc said:
Image for

Yay, my friend imported it for me.

Image for
Image for

Found these 2 gems at EB really cheap. I am so happy. Smilie

Timesplitters 3 on the GC is awesome. such a ood game.
It killed my mates GC though. we were playing multyplayer deathmatch and it froze (his is onld gc) and we tried to turn it back on again and it dint. still brill game, good grfx as well for a third party game on ninty console.

Image for

Ticket to see WALL E �4.80

Great film really enjoyed it.

Hellboy DVD �3

The sticker on the DVD said �4 although I was charged �5. So I want to the desk and they gave me �2 back... thus the DVD costing �3 Smilie

You should watch Hellboy 2 it's funny and enjoyable watch. Strauss is fucking awesome Smilie

Linkyshinks said:
You should watch Hellboy 2 it's funny and enjoyable watch. Strauss is fucking awesome Smilie

Well i've seen Hellboy before and I am going to see the new one. I've actually been wanting to see it for ages but it's not out here until next month Smilie

I just bought the first film to refresh my memory of the series 8)

Forgot to mention that I got these two for a quid each at a Car Boot last week;

Image for

^One of the best Movie-tie-ins ever, and enjoyable as hell^ Smilie

Image for

^Needed a good Xbox fighter^Smilie

Found this at a Car Boot today for �2.50;

Image for

^Have heard some good things about it, so thought I'd give it a try^

Also have just won this off eBay, and am currently hunting for the sequel;

Image for

Can't wait to play it again.SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

36 kronenberg 1664 for a 4 day camping trip with a load of mates (like 100) staring today!

Just bought this;

Image for

Haven't played it yet, but will do after this uni week is over.

I've bought shat all lately really as I've been working as a radio journalist. I've been looking for Metal Slug Anthology on the Wii (just to give the console some sort of use) but I can't find it for less then �20. Ideally, I'd pay �10-15 from a shop.

Last things I bought were The Walking Dead volume 1 and 2. Very good reads. I'm looking forward to picking up the third one next chance I get.

Image for
Had to be done. I need that original Ewok song in my life again.

I also received my Indy hat from the nice man from ParcelForce!!!SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

Suffice to say my schedule is pretty tightly packed now, what with all the hat-wearing. You could even say it's brimming. If you wanted to make a terrible hat-based pun.

Less posty, more gamey.

I got a Band of Brothers t-shirt (the television mini series)

�10

Sorry no picture though.

just bought theese:

Image for

Image for

I was gonna buy guitar hero on tour as well, is it any good/worth buying. I have a 4 week holiday to occupy myself, so i need some games (ds).

I've bought nothing recently ._.
Replaying Jump Ultimate Stars I bought over a year ago...and Ouendan (EBA) that came out soon after the DS did in Japan lol.

And Smilie tell me your impressions on Ninja Gaiden, echoes - I'm pretty interested in it - and linkyshinks told me I should get it too :p - I need a 2nd opinion Smilie

Avoid Games Like the Plague, productivity++

iSimon said:
I've bought nothing recently ._.
Replaying Jump Ultimate Stars I bought over a year ago...and Ouendan (EBA) that came out soon after the DS did in Japan lol.

And Smilie tell me your impressions on Ninja Gaiden, echoes - I'm pretty interested in it - and linkyshinks told me I should get it too :p - I need a 2nd opinion Smilie

Its really good, only played the first 3 levels and i think its brilliant.
Ulitnate stars i think is still one of the best games (my timer is 99:59:59 XD) and i have completed everything and have unlocked everything (took ages online for gems)
I love osu! tattakae ouendan, so addictive.
I need an opinion on GH:OT thoughSmilie

Echoes221 said:
iSimon said:
I\'ve bought nothing recently ._.

And Smilie tell me your impressions on Ninja Gaiden, echoes - I\'m pretty interested in it - and linkyshinks told me I should get it too :p - I need a 2nd opinion Smilie

Its really good, only played the first 3 levels and i think its brilliant.
Ulitnate stars i think is still one of the best games (my timer is 99:59:59 XD) and i have completed everything and have unlocked everything (took ages online for gems)
I love osu! tattakae ouendan, so addictive.
I need an opinion on GH:OT thoughSmilie

This is the person who buys the widely acknowledged cack Chibo Robo DS Smilie

My Review

When Ninja Gaiden DS was announced by Team Ninja last year some new fans to the franchise may have turned their noses up in disgust that their favourite games would be coming to the DS, in apparently reduced form. I myself was sceptical also as to whether you could recreate sufficiently some of the console game experience on the humble little DS.

Ninja Gaiden in it\'s modern form away from it\'s spiritual home on Nintendo NES concentrates very strongly on fast paced combat of the highest calibre. It is a game filled with depth of control that requires you to attack in a rhythmic fashion and to block so also. Watch a noob play and it seems like just another slasher, but watch a expert play and it can be wow worthy enough for you to drop your jaw. Also add in the fact it is notoriously hard. Trying to replicate that level of intensity depth and difficulty on the humble the DS must have made some weary of it all, not solely because of the machines technical limitations but also because of the DS user base and how it\'s populous would take to the game. This is partly because of what they are normally use to.

Ninja Gaiden DS is made by Team Ninja, not a second string team, but in fact the real deal headed by Tomonobu Itagaki himself, that fact alone tells you how important they see this title. So the question is has their commitment been worth it, and in turn does it mean the DS has got a great action game, well that will be answered in the conclusion of this review.

The Ninja Gaiden DS story is set 6 months after the one told in xbox game which was based around the Dark Dragon Blade Incident. It revolves around the story of Kureha and her sister Momnji in regards to the Eye of the Dragon, the jewel that will transform the Dragon Sword into it\'s true nature. The game opens to a beautifully drawn Anime style cut scene cut scene of which there are many in this game. You see a village elder Muramasa calling upon Kureha at her grave, she then appears to him as he then reminisces about how she and Ryu were once inseparable. He tells her little sister Momiji and Ryu are practising now....

The game starts with a degree of novelty, it sees you involved in a interactive cut scene with you actually in control Momnji, a beautiful female Ninja who is Kureha\'s little sister. You are sparring against the main protagonist Ryu Hayabusa in the Forest of Shadows by the foot of a waterfall. This area of the game acts like a tutorial teaching you the very basic combat techniques using stylus strokes. It\'s actually really more of a play around before the actual tutorial takes place when you set off on a journey and are attacked by monsters. The tutorial works well enough, but ideally I found that if you find a quiet area and actually take the time to practise as you learn new techniques it\'s a lot better.

The game as you may know requires you to hold the DS in book format, all attacks and movement and selections are controlled by the touch screen, all the buttons on the DS as well as the D-Pad act as a block, and block only. It all works very well and efficiently. I found it to be very comfortable to play in such a way and am sure others will do also.

The Ninja Gaiden series is about being able to employ defensive and attack manoeuvres seamlessly, Ninja Gaiden DS does this also, and it does so very well. Basic movement of your character is done via the sword-stylus, when you touch close to your character with the stylus held down on screen your character can be moved around the screen in the directions you guide the stylus. Slashing across enemies with the stylus causes Ryu to attack them with a series of swipes which is dependent on the number of times you slash across them. When you slash across a enemy while at distance Ryu charges over towards them with a sword swipe. When slashing upwards with the stylus, you see Momiji or Ryu jump upward. You can also double jump with two well timed upward slashes and also initiate attacks while up there. When double jumping you create more time to plan a route of attack even it it is a mere milliseconds. It comes in very handy when playing the game on the hard difficulty which I thoroughly recommend this game is played at, *sighs*, but I will get to that later.

When performing a double jump, by slashing down on a enemy below while in mid air causes Ryu to charge down on the foes with a downward double handed sword slash. While you jump and slash horizontally across the screen it sees you perform a Flying Swallow attack. And yes, it looks as graceful as it sounds. Tapping on enemies directly at distance causes your character to throw Shurikens at them, while jumping and tapping on enemies while in mid air sees you float down gently while continuing to throw at your selected foes. There is also the powerful Izuna Drop that adds some depth into your attacks. By slashing downward on enemies then twice upward it causes Ryu to thrust up his sword at a foe making them fly up into the air, he then grabs them while in mid air and slams them to the ground with speed and jumps back into combat stance immediately. There is also the classic wall jumping of previous games to be found within the game. Zig zagging or double slashing upward with the stylus makes Ryu or Momiji rize upward in a acrobatic manner.

It all looks very cool and stylish, and it\'s a hallmark of the series. When you play Ninja Gaiden DS you will you are playing a Ninja Gaiden game, all the small subtleties are there like the stance Ryu takes as he enters a new area. It all looks great and will be appreciated by all regardless to whether you have played a previous game or not.

The Dragon Sword is your primary weapon in the game, Shurikens and a Bow act as distance weapons, as well as that you also have \"Ninpo\", that\'s Ninja magic to the ill educated Ninja. By tapping a Sanskrit icon in the top left of the screen when you have the required energy you go into a character input screen as Ryu shouts \"Nin-po!\", you are then required to fill in a Sanskrit character with your stylus to initiate the special move. It works well. The first Ninpo you get in the game is a large fireball which can be moved around directly using the stylus in order to take out enemies. Ninpo is also used in the game in order to solve physical puzzles and open new areas.

The controls in the game work very well for the most part, however, their are some issues. Due to the nature of some of the 2D water colour styled environments and the way the playing field has been constructed with alternating playing angles there are at times where the accuracy diminishes. These areas tend to be when your character is in the far distance and you are expected to employ the same deft touch as required elsewhere in combat in the foreground. I myself found that keeping my stylus locked onto the touch pad and drawing enemies out of distance was a way around the issue in heated combat, even still it\'s far from perfect. It\'s certainly a shame, it should not be a problem with clever level design to work around it. Thankfully though it does not impact the game too badly as the combat elsewhere is wickedly fun.

Combat can be blistering fast at times requiring you to perform series of attacks and combos in quick succession. Touch input, the DS working to it\'s strengths have in a way brought about a great Ninja experience where reflexes are paramount. Combat for the most part sees you drawn into what are essentially combat arenas where you have to defeat foes thrown at you via the dark portals that appear. Only after removing the foes can you move onto the next area. It\'s old school and cool and it works well.

There are sections in the game where after missions you go back to your Ninja village and speak to Muramasa the town elder, while taking the time to upgrade your basic abilities. It\'s a nice distraction for the combat and acts to add to the whole story. The combat is where this game really peaks though of course.

On the subject of sound, Itagaki as some of you will know has a liking for the ladies, some of the sounds Momiji makes at the start of the game sound suspiciously like little orgasms to me. That aside, the main combat sounds are fantastic and aid the intensity of the game very well. The soundtrack is composed mainly of Edo harmonies and the sound of Taiko drums that seem to try to persuade a degree of rhythm to your fighting style. There is speech, the odd line and murmur but it is nothing really note worthy even if cute and stylishly done. The game uses it cool comic book style cut scenes which hark back to days of old on the games on the NES which were noted by many at the time. They looks beautiful and use the dual screen ability well.

Sadly Ninja Gaiden DS is a easy game, especially for those that are seasoned Gaidenz. It will take six to seven hours or so in the default difficulty setting. It is understandable to some degree, but as I have said earlier Ninja Gaiden games previously have all been very difficult. The bosses in the game can be easily beaten when you apply any decent amount of attention, it\'s simply a case of working out their attack patterns and doing away with them. Very rarely will you have to lose life. Also add into the fact the game molly cuddles you with save points that litter the game.

In the normal difficulty you can stylus slash like a maniac and get through to the near later stages of the game with rarely having to use your block that much. This is a first for the Ninja Gaiden series, and a disappointing one for the purists. However, and this is a big however, after completing the game once the the hard difficulty is unlocked and this entire game becomes a bit of a revelation, foes will now take a much harder beating in order to die and blocking is all important. The bosses also need a serious battering requiring the very best of your skills you are capable of. The game then will last nearly twice as long and the experience far greater. I cannot fathom why the hard difficulty was not selectable from the start for those that wanted it straight off, it is shame in my eyes as it would have made the initial experience of the game superior for the seasoned players. Itagaki has stayed true to his word though, there is much depth to be had in the hardest difficulty, so much so that in fact it\'s only WiFi functionality allows you to post your stats and high scores via Nintendo WFC. This is something which will please the purists with fast reflexes.

Ninja Gaiden DS is certainly the best action game of it\'s kind on DS, and it also acts as a shining light for other developers to be so bold as do something only seen here so far. Itagaki and his team have created a little gem. It has excellent fast paced gameplay and excellent artistic direction and story well told for a handheld action game. I thoroughly recommend you all try before you buy, it\'s been available on demo booths in both Japan and the U.S. The demo is also available via The Everybody\'s Nintendo Channel for Wii owners to check out.

This game really deserves to be played by all, not just Ninja Gaiden fans alone. As Itagaki himself says \"when you play this game for the first time you will wonder why nobody has made a game like it before\" it\'s true.

Do buy this game if it\'s your thing, heed my advice and see what this game is really about in the hard difficulty setting, you wont regret it.

8.5/10 Great game, just too easy in the default difficulty setting.

( Edited 29.07.2008 21:59 by Linkyshinks )

Guest 29.07.2008#241
Image for

Finally!

Well that leaves a choice for me of trauma centre 2 or ninja gaiden D:
Hopefully I can get both eventually.

And wow chibi robo DS got a much higher average review than I'd give it. ._.
I'd say 6...good at first but repetitive.

( Edited 30.10.2017 05:40 by Guest )

Image for
Image for
Image for

I haven't bought any manga in ages. Total: �11.67.

omg death note is soooo awesome <3 Smilie
I have all 12 in the main series Smilie...but don't have 13 D:
Not sure I liked the ending much though :p

iSimon said:
omg death note is soooo awesome <3 Smilie
I have all 12 in the main series Smilie...but don't have 13 D:
Not sure I liked the ending much though :p

Yeah I had mixed feelings about the ending too... well the anime ending, haven't got that far in the manga yet obviously! Smilie

Smilie The anime ending was marginally better imo...as...

Now I want to see the 2nd and 3rd death note movies - I saw the 1st when I was over in Japan...and that was awesome <3 - and it had a slightly different plot to the manga, so it kept me hooked. Smilie
Love the actor off battle royal. :p

Image for
(signed)
Image for
Image for

Image for

The books wont last me long, but they will keep me occupied for at least a week of my four weeks...i read way too quickly for my own good.

Yeah same once I get into a volume of whatever Manga i'm reading thats it. I normally only read them during college though..

Manga is too addictive for its own good. TRY FMA youll love it.

i bought Brawl & BWII
both great games espacially online

-------Conduit FC=3738-7807-0409----------
--------Cod 5 FC= 3652-5701-8783----------
----------SSBB FC= Coming Soon------------

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, Insanoflex

There are 2 members online at the moment.