Latest Purchases

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Is Agarest actually any good? (Otherwise I'm guessing you found it super cheap)

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

I won it in a competition on Ghostlight's blog o.o One of 10 people. But, it is super cheap right now - €16.99/£12.99 until the 9th January on PSN.

I've played it very briefly, like the first hour so I can't give a strong impression just yet, but it's an odd one. There's a mixture of graphical styles going on - gorgeous anime portraits when dialogue is happening, but then you seem to only be able to move around on a scruffy FF7-like world map with 2D sprite models. The sprites are well-done, mind, but it makes for an odd combination in a 3D world. From the small portion I've played, it doesn't seem like you can wander any towns. The towns I've come across have seen me only be able to choose which shop to go to - item shop, weapon shop, inn, etc. Now I'm working my way through a forest, but instead of walking through it, I have to pick a path, go into battle, new path opens up, battle. It's streamlined, which might be an incentive for it, but there's something to be said about being able to wander wherever you want in a town and raid people's houses. Random battles on the world map. Battle system and character customisation seems really in-depth, though, with turn-based strategic commands and formations, but I really haven't taken the time to learn it properly yet. You can pick difficulty levels, which is good to simply plough through the story, though, so you may not even need to learn it properly. Story-wise, typical cliché JRPG affair so far. Bouncy tits, though. Oh wait, that's a cliché, too. But tits.

Exploration might change; maybe I will be able to wander around a bit later on. But this is based on my first hour with the game. So far it seems alright, but nothing that's really gripped me in. £13 for it is probably worth a pop.

( Edited 17.12.2012 01:59 by Azuardo )

Our member of the week

Put my shiny new Mastercard to use on Nintendo's eShops Smilie.

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

And also Gunman Clive on 3DS eShop.

( Edited 28.12.2012 14:02 by RudyC3 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Well done on VVVVVV.

For me:

Image for

VVVVVV is brilliant. Love it.

Recently bought a bunch of stuff despite having so much work to do and so little time to do it in (as you do)

New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU)

Image for

Actually kinda hyped, I hope it's anywhere near as good as Mario World.

Journey/The Unfinished Swan bundle (PS3)

Image for

Not been able to play them yet, but I've heard great things about Journey.

Pandora's Tower: Special Edition (Wii)

Image for

£20 on Amazon, very nice.

Also got Gravity Rush (Vita) and Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita) for Christmas! Gravity Rush is really enjoyable, as you can probably tell by my new avatar.

Update time!

Got this for free (thanks for the votes everyoneSmilie);

Image for

Used some CEX credit for this;

Image for

and downloaded this to my 3DS on a whim;

Image for

Our member of the week

Bought this:

And preordered this:

Phoenom said:
downloaded this to my 3DS on a whim;

I got this on a whim too, because I was looking for a game to spend my my two and a half quids left before I switched my console back to my own region (I had it set on UK before so I could use UK eShop cards to download stuff, but now I have a mastercard, so I don't have that problem anymore).

The gam's not too bad. Not too fond of western music but the basic gameplay of such classics as Megaman, among others, is there. for the price, you can't ask much more.

( Edited 11.01.2013 23:09 by RudyC3 )

Hoo boy...

Less than a year ago I thought I was burned out on the series. Then I try the newest game again and get sucked in. Then Nintendo release a trailer with fuckawesome battle animations and get me hyped.

So the only main entry I've yet to play is now on the way;

Heaven help me. Smilie

Ikaruga Android & Aliens:CM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ggee.vividruntime.gg_1638

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/49540/

Linkyshinks said:
Ikaruga Android & Aliens:CM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ggee.vividruntime.gg_1638

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/49540/

O wow, didn't know Ikaruga made its way onto android. Does the android port do the game justice? Extremely tempted to purchase it. 

Image for

Image for

Made a rather impulse buy as I was in the need of a new JRPG to play after just finishing Xenoblade and Tales of Abyss. Read nothing but great reviews for this game so when I saw a special Vita sale at my local store, i knew it was time to grab one. 

mOojc! Smilie Where have you been? (in true Persona 3 fashion)

Ahh recent purchases? Well I bought... Balloon Fight, for 30p Smilie oops...

Heh, me too. You can't really say no to that price. Smilie

Edit: mOojc, be sure to keep us updated as you play through that game. Always fills me with joy whenever I see someone experiencing the awesomeness of P4. Smilie

( Edited 23.01.2013 20:36 by Phoenom )

Our member of the week

I regret purchasing it myself. That 50Hz nonsense on a HD system is starting to get highly ridiculous.

RudyC3 said:
I regret purchasing it myself. That 50Hz nonsense on a HD system is starting to get highly ridiculous.

Hm, still doing that, are they? Good god, they better be making sure all regions have 60Hz versions in their updated Wii U VC games. If they're being updated with Miiverse and GamePad support, I'd guess they will be the same 60Hz versions worldwide, but the language options for Europe make me think it'd be easier for them to grab the 50Hz ones and update them. Really hoping Nintendo know better with this.

RudyC3 said:

I was wondering about that, I did think it was running slower than it should have been.

What the hell Nintendo, not even the Wii VC was that bad with most NES games (pretty sure Kirby's Adventure wasn't slowed)

Our member of the week

Azuardo said:
Hm, still doing that, are they? Good god, they better be making sure all regions have 60Hz versions in their updated Wii U VC games. If they're being updated with Miiverse and GamePad support, I'd guess they will be the same 60Hz versions worldwide, but the language options for Europe make me think it'd be easier for them to grab the 50Hz ones and update them. Really hoping Nintendo know better with this.

If you haven't got a Wii U then you can't have seen the Miiverse hatred going on at the moment regarding the 50Hz issue. Nintendo need to react on this soon.

Unbelievable. Well, it's the reason I've never bought a VC game and it's the reason that I will continue to never buy VC games unless it changes. I know a lot of people have the same philosophy.

Nintendo have no choice but to react if people keep mentioning it on Miiverse, at least I hope so.

Also, does anyone know if Kirby's Adventure was affected by this? I had it on Wii and it seemed fine, but now I'm not actually sure :c
Either way it's just not on.

Tried looking into it. Doesn't seem like Kirby's Adventure NES was ever optimised for our region. So, it is slower.

Probably not as noticeable in a game like Kirby, as compared to say, Sonic.

Our member of the week

Azuardo said:
Tried looking into it. Doesn't seem like Kirby's Adventure NES was ever optimised for our region. So, it is slower.

Probably not as noticeable in a game like Kirby, as compared to say, Sonic.

The music was optimised, but not the actual gameplay. Most... say... second generation NES titles, like 1988 and onwards, had the music optimised in PAL versions so that the music wouldn't play any slower than in NTSC. Few games were truly fully optimised, really.

But right now, in the case of Ballon Fight on Wii U, both the music and gameplay are slower, which is unforgiveable.

At least there's one thing which is improved compared to the Wii VC, for PAL NES games: No more black borders.

I also have yet to try out whether they play in progressive scan, but I guess this would show on the gamepad screen if the video was interlaced, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

( Edited 23.01.2013 22:18 by RudyC3 )

I've never been one to complain about the whole 50Hz/60Hz deal. Mostly because I just play my games however the hell we get them in the UK and don't bother to look further into the matter. I've enjoyed PAL retro games, even if they are significantly slower (I haven't noticed a difference, but yeah). This just means I'm not bothered if we get the original 50Hz PAL games. However, I think for everyone else's sake that 60Hz should be a standard for upcoming VC titles. Or at least have the option to play the NTSC version, with the 60Hz intact.

Purchased Metal Gear HD collection, was waiting for that badboy to drop but noticed prices started going back up everywhere so grabbed it before it became to hard to find!

Image for

Azuardo said:
Image for

Mine arrived today.. when I opened it I was like "OMG.. THIS LOOKS SO SEXY" Can't wait to read through it. Had a quick flick through it earlier.

Mush said:
Azuardo said:
Image for

Mine arrived today.. when I opened it I was like "OMG.. THIS LOOKS SO SEXY" Can't wait to read through it. Had a quick flick through it earlier.

I literally tore open the packaging and well...held it over my head...while thinking of this....

The postman at work was pretty freaked out i must say...

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, jb

There are 2 members online at the moment.