Rate the latest film youve watched

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 28.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

I read the same thing about Ford. He said he didn't half-ass it on purpose, but that it was bad writing. I think he was frustrated at not being clearly told if Deckard was human or not, and he liked to believe that he was human, even though Scott had confirmed otherwise eventually.

Some things are best left untouched, but in some ways, a sequel is more interesting to me than a remake. Remakes of movies seem to be popping up left, right and centre now, so at least it will continue the story. The cyberpunk setting should look even cooler too. But yeah, always remain skeptical. I think filming starts either this year or next.

Repo the Genetic Opera was the latest movie I watched. While it might have been like the 10th (or hunderth xD) time I watched it I find it just as good every time. It is a very powerful musical touching upon a dystopian futuristic world which is controlled by a corrupt health care/plastic operation company who for a "reasonable" price can change any aspect of a human being. If they are unable to pay back they send their repo man who is nothing short of a legal assassin who takes back what they bought with interest by force if needed be.

It is an interesting movie that in a dark and quite twisted way touches upon problems that might occur as humanity comes closer and closer to the point in which we can control every aspect of the world and how companies might monopolize on that. A truly well done movie with a nice list of actors and actresses including big names like Sarah Brightman, Alexa Vega and Paris Hilton.

The musical acts are wonderful and has a nice dark style that perfectly fit the setting of this splattermovie that could only be signed by Twisted Pictures. A wonderful movie that keeps the watcher thinking even afterwards and with a great cast able to truly act their characters well.

8/10. A movie that deserves a lot more fame than it currently has and a bigger spread. However, it is a great cult classic that anyone who is into more gorey movies and musicals should watch.

The difference between illusion and reality is vague to the one who suffers from the former and questionable for the one suffering form the later.

Life of Pi - 9

It was a really great film. Think Cast Away, but at sea and with animals and some trippy scenes that will question your beliefs by the end of the film. It's a survival situation throughout most of the film, but the beginning is setup nicely introducing the characters, ultimately leading up to a disaster that leaves a boy stranded at sea with a tiger.

The ending is interesting!

( Edited 20.08.2015 14:18 by Marzy )

The sci-fi marathon has commenced.

Watched Alien, Aliens and Alien 3.

Alien was the best. I'm glad the cat survived and was back in Aliens lol.

Mad to think that the young girl that played Newt in Aliens never pursued an acting career, and that was her only film role, having never acted before.

Aliens was pretty good, but Alien 3 was a fucking pisstake. Just shits all over the characters of the last film, as well as the fans. Reading up about the development and the constant script-burning and writer-firing, Fox sound like nobheads.

Watched Alien: Resurrection and Prometheus.

So that's the Alien series done (well, apart from Alien vs. Predator movies, which I may or may not watch after the Predator movies - few people consider them canon, and they sound a bit shit anyway).

I wasn't fond of Resurrection. I was surprised Sigourney Weaver reprised her role after wanting Ripley to be killed off in Alien 3. The fact she was a clone in AR, and that she doesn't have all the memories or same personality as the original Ripley, didn't make me enjoy her character anywhere near as much. She just wasn't the same Ripley. The human-Alien hybrid and the hugging going on with its "mother" Ripley was just ridiculous to me. The no-look basketball shot from Weaver is the best part lol.

There were rumours that the planned "Alien 5" would undo the events of Alien 3 and Resurrection, but they were sadly shot down, as far as I heard. I would love for it to be true. Alien and Aliens are easily the best, and everything after that was just a bitch slap.

Prometheus wasn't too bad. It sort of brought back the eeriness of the original Alien, but there wasn't much scare or horror factor. I'm still not entirely sure how it sets up the events of Alien, because when they discovered the Engineer in Alien, he was sitting in the cockpit with his chest burst open. At the end of Prometheus, he gets out and attacks Shaw in the shuttle, before that alien overwhelms him and gives birth to another alien. It contradicts the place the Engineer is found in Alien. Will have to research.

I've been having Alien dreams after watching five movies straight lol.

Our member of the week

Alien 3 I'd argue that if you watch the Assembly Cut (the one that runs approximately 2 hours 24 minutes), which completely changes some plot points, and shows actually more shots of the Alien, more gory ones too, then it's a decent movie and not a complete train wreck, though still not as good as the first two, but Alien Resurrection, no matter which cut you watch, it's definitely not good. Prometheus wasn't too bad indeed and it's nice to see the ramifications with the Alien franchise.

The AvP movies, the first one is not too bad in my opinion, I quite enjoyed it (and there's implied connection to the Alien movies too since the founder of the "The Company" Weyland Yutani, mr Weyland, is seen in the movie and plays a big role (other implications too from the actor chosen for the movie but I won't spoil anything). AvP Requiem is SHITE !! Waste of time Smilie. Not a good thing to save it and the worst Alien related movie for me, by far.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Yep, Assembly Cut is the one I watched for Alien 3. The thing with 3 is that I absolutely hated how they killed off essentially everyone but Ripley right at the start, not least because they were all brilliant characters in Aliens, especially Newt. I don't get why they even thought it was a good idea to do that. You build great characters in one film, getting the viewers attached to them and having them survive, only to see them killed right at the beginning of the next movie. For what purpose? It was just a total FU to fans. Although I see why Weaver wanted it, killing off Ripley also hurt. But then trying to bring her back in Resurrection just felt all sorts of wrong.

I don't particularly think 3 was too bad of a movie - just that I didn't like its script. It had some good haunting moments, but the final scenes in trying to capture the alien were messy.

Honestly, I'd just want Alien 5 to retcon everything after Aliens, even if it now takes place decades later (which it should, considering Weaver is now 65 and her age would be showing lol).

I have read about AvP so I know who you're talking about. I also heard the same thing - AvP isn't too bad, but AvPR is shit. But I'm not sure if they can tie into the plot since Prometheus came out. Apparently some people think they can coexist, but I'd prefer they didn't tbh. Prometheus 2 is also in the works.

( Edited 23.08.2015 23:52 by Azuardo )

Our member of the week

Yeah, both Prometheus 2 and Alien 5 are happening. Ridley Scott said apparently from what he knows of where Alien 5 is headed, it's set to receive his blessing. (apparently the guy for Alien 5 and ridley scott are in contact so as to not do anything that would cut prometheus and alien movies from coexisting within the same universe)

EDIT: Neil Blomkamp, from District 9 and Elysium is the guy working on Alien 5. I have seen the former movie but not the latter. District 9 was OK for what it was though it did end kinda weird from what I remember.

( Edited 23.08.2015 23:48 by RudyC3 )

That's good to know. I still don't know how much I'm gonna like the film if it does just continue on from Resurrection (which it supposedly will do). I just can't bring myself to like the clone idea and what's happened to the characters after Aliens. But I will definitely be seeing it when the time comes.

Yep, that's the guy. Weaver said she'd be up to do another Alien if he directed, and he is, so she's on board. I had heard decent things about District 9, although I wasn't too fond of Elysium, even as the biggest Matt Damon fan.

( Edited 23.08.2015 23:52 by Azuardo )

Our member of the week

No, apparently the guy said, while not making Alien 3 and resurrection not-canon anymore, that his focus is to bring back the series to its former glory by taking cues only from the first two movies. Some concept art showed Michael Biehn (Corporal Hicks from Aliens) having aged... I don't know how it would fit but if he can bring back some of those great characters and make it believable, that's fine by me Smilie

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/89318/neill-blomkamps-alien-sequel-closer-getting-made/

( Edited 23.08.2015 23:54 by RudyC3 )

Yeah, I think the 'erasing Alien 3 and Resurrection' rumour stemmed from him saying his faves were Alien 1 and 2, so that kinda went outta hand. But if the concept art shows an older Hicks, maybe that's possibly an idea that could still happen? Otherwise, what is he? What reason would they have to clone Hicks? I don't know what Blomkamp's plans are, but a retcon would be brilliant. I think I even read a proposed original idea for Alien 3 was to have an older Newt play the lead role back then. Seeing her grown up would be wonderful.

Our member of the week

I loved the character of Hicks so yeah I would love for them to do what needs to be done to bring back the character. Clone it or whatever, so long as it's not "too" far-fetched.

To quote Blomkamp :

"I want this film to feel like it's literally the genetic sibling of 'Aliens.' So it's 'Alien,' 'Aliens,' and then this movie."

I can't recall where I read that he wouldn't make 3 & Res not canon but I'm pretty sure he said so but references to past events from those two are likely to be sparse I imagine. Sigourney Weaver is also apparently very supportive of the project it seems.

I did some more looking into the franchise, and I don't know if you intend to play Aliens: Colonial Marines some day, but apparently, the game is considered canon in the timeline, after confirmation with 20th Centruy Fox when making the game. I think Alien: Isolation is supposed to be, too.

But basically, there's a mission in Colonial Marines (might be DLC) where marines Turk and Stone board the shuttle that Ripley, Hicks and Newt are in hypersleep on, and they manage to wake Hicks to combat the Weyland-Yutani PMCs that are boarding. In the battle, a fire breaks out and Turk is thrown into Hicks' cryotube. Ripley, Newt, Turk and Bishop are then ejected from the ship, and they crash onto Fury 161, which sets into motion Alien 3. Ripley didn't inspect Turk's body, so never knew it wasn't Hicks.

So that's a plausible way to have Hicks still alive. I guess they'll run with that if Hicks comes back in Alien 5. Just wish they coulda saved Newt lol. I just can't get over real Ripley and Newt being dead.

Even if the game is supposed to be crap, I will likely buy Colonial Marines at some point. I definitely am gonna pick up Isolation soon. The Nostromo DLC sounds awesome, with the original characters being playable, and how most of the actors returned to voice them, including Weaver.

Our member of the week

I never played it, but might do so on PC down the line. Same things for Alien Isolation, I have to look into both as, indeed, I knew they were both considered canon.

The Muppets - 8

Never really watched The Muppets before and I've not seen any of the previous films. I watched this new one and it was pretty decent and a genuinely funny and pleasant film to watch. Lots of crazy characters, good jokes and the musical bits made me smile (those were even well done and funny). The plot was kind of nice if you didn't know much about The Muppets either.

It was decent overall.

If you've not seen Muppets' Christmas Carol then you must! My family watch it every Christmas as it's such a great 'feel good' movie with some really catchy tunes. Smilie

( Edited 29.08.2015 19:22 by Ifrit XXII )

Our member of the week

The Muppets' Treasure Island (or a title similar to that) along with the Muppets Christmas Carol are the only two movies I saw involving them, and I liked both personally, they were good fun Smilie. I'm not of the original Muppets generation, cause i was either not born, or too young to remember the latest 80's one. But I quite enjoyed watching "Muppets Tonight" in my time, it was aired in my country every Saturday night around 1996/1997. Good memories Smilie.

I do like some of the versions of Christmas Carol, so the idea of a Muppet version I'd probably enjoy. I have seen bits of those old films on TV, but never watched them properly. If any of them are on this Christmas, I'll make sure to give them a watch!

Monsters University - 8

I watched Monsters University the other night and was surprised at how good it was! I went in with low expectations because of the some-what mediocre reviews and some not so good response from the general public. I thought it was a great prequel personally, even if it's not as good as Monsters Inc. I had a fun time watching it!

Our member of the week

Since I rarely watch a recently released film, and for once I did watch one that I liked a lot, I thought I might as well come and share on here. Sooooo...

Creed - 8

For the occasion I rewatched all Rocky films in succession. From the greatness of the first, to the "not-so surprising but still fun to watch" factor of II to IV, and then the abysmal level of V. Then Rocky Balboa which was a nice return to form, but so improbable and exaggerated, though the direction was great, that it came off as a light disappointment (I had never watched it until then, so it was another discovery).

So coming off of doing all these to prepare myself for Creed, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The pretext for the existence of the protagonist comes off as a real lack of imagination on the writers' part but hey, if the rest of of the film is good, that can be overlooked, right? And indeed it can. The main protagonist is not a Rocky bis, and that's for the best, better not rehash the same stuff. He's a loveable character, and doesn't fall into "too many" of the clichés of lead black characters either, which was one heck of a breath of fresh air... and casted aside some of my initial apprehensions about the plot. The direction is SUPERB imho, the story believable unlike Rocky Balboa and, speaking of the latter, the character of Rocky and his own struggles, was particularly moving. The sort of semi romance with a much younger woman in the previous one felt awkward and here, the aging character dealing with age itself and not trying to re-enact the past, moved me nearly to the point of bringing tears to my eyes at moments, no less. I believe this kind of respect for the old character we all know and love, through the acceptance of the age of the actor and what is expectable and believable that someone His age could do TODAY, was another welcome thing that contributed to my overall enjoyment of the film.

It's worthy of the franchise more-so than any film part of it released in the last 25 years, and that a sequel has already been announced does not bother me one bit if they manage to make it fresh like the first one, though I won't hold my breath too much either.

I watched 6 season "Game of thrones"...

I would like to see the show "True detective"

Blade Runner 2049 trailer

Alien: Covenant trailer

Our member of the week

Looking forward to Alien. Though Ridley Scott is a weird guy. Prometheus went from not being a prequel to Alien to being one in the space of just a couple years. I hope he has a clear idea of where he wants to lead the franchise with a solid story that does not contradicts what's already established.

im even more excited about Neil Blomkamp's future Alien film though. I want covenant to come out soon so work on that next one can resume.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex, jesusraz, Ofisil

There are 3 members online at the moment.