PS3/Vita General Topic

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Sexy. Deffo wanna hear your thoughts.

I'm really impressed with it. It's definitely exceeded my expectations and I can safely say it was well worth the money.

The screen is absolutely fantastic and Rayman Origins just looks stunning on it. I literally was in awe for 10 or so seconds. Because the screen is so big, the touch stuff is also brilliant and works much like a tablet/smart phone, with multi-touch. It really makes the 3DS screens look ridiculously small in comparison, almost like they can't fit anything on them.

The system is really well built and feels comfy to hold, so no problems there. Everything feels good to me, especially the d-pad. The analogues might be a bit of a problem for some games, but I think they'll be functional. They're definitely nowhere near as good as the slide pad on the 3DS though and they're a little on the small side. I'll have to wait and see really, since I've only used the d-pad so far in terms of actual gaming.

Other than that, it just works really well. All the shop stuff is there from day one, with PSP games and Vita games, there's a Twitter application and other applications for social sites (Flikr, Foursquare). The menus work smoothly and it's easy to get around.

It's just really great! Smilie

I guess my only gripe is the camera quality, it looks as bad as the 3DS, maybe more actually. For such a big and gorgeous screen, it'd make more sense to have better cameras. Overall, not a huge deal, since I have a phone camera that takes great photos. I can also see the memory being a big issue, as most of the downloadable games take up quite a lot of space (even the small AR ones).

( Edited 24.02.2012 18:42 by Marzy )

Yeah I heard the cameras are worse than the 3DS's due to the pictures looking so washed out but It's not like anyone is ever gonna use them though because it's like you said everyones got a better camera on their phone.

Have you tried out the Near app yet Marzy?

After all my stating 'I won't get one' I broke today. HMV had a good deal; Vita Wifi+Uncharted for £229. I had around £175 in trade in so I spent around £80 in total.

In all honesty, I've been completely blown away by this system. Been playing uncharted - the first I've played of the series and it looks STUNNING. My jaw keeps dropping with the scenery and how well it plays. I'm just about getting used to the analogue sticks, made more bearable with auto-aim enabled and a slightly lower sensitivity. Loving the shit out of it.

Downloaded demos for Wipeout and Stardust, both are absolubtly amazing. I've never really played either apart from drunkenly at a mates. It's nice because I haven't had a Sony console since the PSX days so I have the PSP backlog to get through (Dissidia is a must!) and a host of titles that I generally prefer on handheld (fighting games especially).

Compared to the 3DS' launch, there is so much to keep me interested here for a long time that even if there is a dry patch, I can play through GTA or something in my own time.

In my eyes, the build quality of this machine crushes the 3DS to dust. It's light, the battery lasts around the same amount of time and the functionality is, so far, brilliant. Not too keen on the bubble menu, but will get used to it. It's so much more comfortable to hold, I haven't had my hand cramp yet. That said, there have been a few moments in Uncharted where I thought "This would look amazing in 3D". I still love my 3DS and both will get a lot of playtime over the next 5 years or so.

I wasn't really eager for a PSVita compared to the 3DS, but once I saw the bundle deal it was more of a "Fuck it, we'll do it live" moment. Great purchase so far Smilie

Oh, and my PSN is the usual: Echoes221 add me!

I'm having a hard time resisting caving in because it's only £197 on Amazon. >_<

The vita isn't worth the price f admition, it's nice how it's touch capable on both sides & multitouch capable, but it's not as accurate or reliable with touch or motion as the 3DS is.

The launch line up is nice but the system looses points with price point AND the fact that SOny left out the psp sales system Japam had, which means full price foe games I already OWN but can't play due to poor choices on SOny's part.

Again not worth the price of admition, wait till the inevitable price drop then it's worth it. I also can't delete certain titles from my mem stick like Unit 13 so careful there.

It is not wise to speak on subjects you do not know all facts about, nor is it smart to judge a game based on looks alone. PSN: Nintendo_Gamer 3DS: 4296-3029-7422

Vorash Kadan said:
SOny

Why do you always write the name 'Sony' like that?

Glad to hear you guys like the system. Smilie Will most likely wait for a revision myself, those buttons feel too tiny for my gorilla hands. Smilie And Persona 4 as well, naturally. ^^

Only when I'm pissed at them Martin, to add further insult to injury & deepen my hatred for SOny, my Vita is now not turning on. This all started, I feel, when I downloaded the demo for Unit 13. I played the mediocre third person shooter but oddly it had no sound. I then proceeded to delete it when I finished but it gave me an error message saying it could not. So THEN I thought to by pass that error & delete it manualy by connecting it to my computer & take matters into my own hands....but the system froze, I tried to shut it off & reset it, that didn't work as it just looped the shut down loading icon so I thought I'd kust let the batteries drain themselves since you can't access the battery pack manually. Now the screen is off but the PS button on the bottom right glows blue similar to the Wii when you get a message or update & the power button is non responsive....thanks SOny, thanks alot.

It is not wise to speak on subjects you do not know all facts about, nor is it smart to judge a game based on looks alone. PSN: Nintendo_Gamer 3DS: 4296-3029-7422

To be honest, I don't think I've ever witnessed you write it correctly. Which must mean you're always angry at them. Why do you buy their products if you have so much disdain for them?

Sorry to hear about your PSP. Sucks when new expensive things fail.

Vorash Kadan said:
Only when I'm pissed at them Martin, to add further insult to injury & deepen my hatred for SOny, my Vita is now not turning on. This all started, I feel, when I downloaded the demo for Unit 13. I played the mediocre third person shooter but oddly it had no sound. I then proceeded to delete it when I finished but it gave me an error message saying it could not. So THEN I thought to by pass that error & delete it manualy by connecting it to my computer & take matters into my own hands....but the system froze, I tried to shut it off & reset it, that didn't work as it just looped the shut down loading icon so I thought I'd kust let the batteries drain themselves since you can't access the battery pack manually. Now the screen is off but the PS button on the bottom right glows blue similar to the Wii when you get a message or update & the power button is non responsive....thanks SOny, thanks alot.

Having one issue does not mean that you should hate Sony. Have you tried holding the power button down for 20 seconds to reset the system? If that doesn't work then try a Hard reset: Hold R and the PS button and power for three seconds from an off starting position. You can probably also reset it via PC. Also, have you tried booting it without your memory card?

Try those, I know nothing about this console, but that was just a quick google search. Also, 'SOny' does not make any form of sense.

On my side, I am LOVING this system.

Yeah, it's even worse than when people write 'M$', which thankfully hasn't happened on these boards for many a moon.

Have you tried out the Near app yet Marzy?

I went on it, but it didn't work in my area. I'm not sure if I did it wrong. I'll give it a try again later. Does it use 3G? I only have the Wi-Fi model.

but it's not as accurate or reliable with touch or motion as the 3DS is.

I'd say it's perfectly accurate enough. The huge screen itself means you don't have tiny little on-screen buttons like the 3DS has (where you HAVE to use a stylus). Basically, everything is big enough to accurately hit with your fingers. I've not had any problems with it at all.

Regarding motion, I've not had the chance to try any of that out yet in a retail game. I did try it in the Welcome Park skateboard game and it seem to work well enough.

Rayman Origins is utterly amazing! I'm so glad I bought it. It's definitely one of the best platform games I've played in recent years. Actually, scratch that, it's one of the best I've ever played (so far, at least).

( Edited 25.02.2012 11:25 by Marzy )

Me (guest) 25.02.2012#1814

Vorash Kadan said:

The launch line up is nice but the system looses points with price point.

You mean the price point which is exactly the same as the 3DS last year? Granted you need to account for a Memory card, but loads of places were giving them free or discounted in bundles.

Nothing was forcing you to buy at the advertised price point, you said yourself you were hoping Sony pulled a Nintendo and gave you free things when they lowered the price in a couple of months (which they have no obligation to do).

Personally, I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop before biting, and if sales follow the steep decline seen in Japan (the PSP was outselling it last week) I don't think it will be a long time coming

Well, I got mine today. I'm not terribly blown away by it, though that could be because the games I've ordered (Wipeout, Rayman, and Lumines) have yet to arrive.

LiveArea feels like a work in progress, which is fine, because it's still in version 1. My biggest issue with it is the "pages" metaphor: I'm so used to apps opening nearly instantly on my iOS devices that needing to press twice to open an app feels annoying and pointless. Tapping on a LiveArea icon should jump straight into the app, not into the app's "page".

What's worse is that opening an app's LiveArea page doesn't actually start opening the app itself, a process which can take many seconds. Those seconds could be more excusable if they were all used for loading, but sometimes they aren't; they're used to display information which Sony has determined I need to see every time the app is opened, so an unskippable 10 second tutorial on AR cards displays each time an AR app is launched.

In other words, opening an app's LiveArea page does not also open the app. The page and the app itself exist separately in the system's processes. I think it would make more sense if the states of the app's page and the app itself were congruent.

I hope that they can polish the UI out. It's fast and smooth and hasn't crashed on me once, which means that it's in a better state than the iPhone running OS 1.0 was when I first got that.

Marzy said:
I went on it, but it didn't work in my area. I'm not sure if I did it wrong. I'll give it a try again later. Does it use 3G? I only have the Wi-Fi model.

It works better with 3G but it should work fine with Wifi only.

I discovered something pretty cool about the Vita by accident. Last night, I was playing Rayman Origins and my Vita ran out of battery and cut out. I saw the low battery warning, ignored it and then forgot (It only warned me once). Anyway, this morning, I charged it up and when I switched it back on, it came up at the exact moment it cut out at. It saved everything and I just carried on with the rest of the stage.

Well martin it looks like you need to do your homework because there are posts I've made where I didn't use that casing for sony. And Echoes I listed at least THREE problems I had with the Vita.

1: Touch is not always accurate & is either miss read or not read at all.

2: The ripp off price settings for psp titles & the fact that SOny isn't bringing the sales option Japan gets, ON TOP OF forcing me to buy a new format of memory stick instead of allowing me to use my psp one.

3: My fresh off the line system had issues the FOLLOWING DAY I bought it.

Are we all on the same page now kids?

@Vorash - Whilst I do agree with your comments about the touch screen as I myself found it wasn't 100% responsive when I tried out the system they had in GAME, I still don't see why you need to be so much of an ass about it though. (No offense intended)

Sure, you're pissed off with the problems you've had with your new handheld, but there's no need to take it out on the members around here, because they have done nothing wrong. If you wish to get your point across, try to do it without offending people.

( Edited 25.02.2012 23:20 by Mush123 )

Alright simmer down a notch. Mush, no need to call Vorash an ass. The Vita just came out. Talk about how shiny it is instead of sniping at each other.

Jacob4000 said:
Alright simmer down a notch. Mush, no need to call Vorash an ass. The Vita just came out. Talk about how shiny it is instead of sniping at each other.
I wasn't saying it in a mean way, I was just saying. How he is wording things, he could be coming off as an ass to most people. So yeah.

I've had no issues with the touch screen at all. In fact, I find it more responsive than I'm used to, its capacitive so I find that I've touched something before I actually have.

You can all check out my thoughts in the Beyond the cube hardware review which I'm writing today.

That's ok, think I'll pass on that echoes. If you want a prime example of the Vita's touch not responding correctly try the Welcome Park slide puzzle touch game. It's pretty much impossible to get the trophies on 14 & 15 piece puzzles since the slides don't always move when you attempt them.

Again my point of pricing is justified, sorry if I sounded like an @$$ Mush but I mean what I say & I try to only speak the truth. Sony is making a BIG mistake in ignoring their psp install base & will pay for it DEARLY in the future...which is actually what I'm hoping for since I'm not paying more than $5 for psp games....esspecially ones I already own like Dissidia, Crisis Core, Exit, KH:BbS, Dark Stalkers, Megaman X, Castlevania & more. :-x

( Edited 27.02.2012 08:32 by Vorash Kadan )

Vita Wallpapers for people: http://minus.com/mzARKQ6pS#35g
You can change your home screen ones by holding down an icon and following onscreen isntructions there. To change the lock screen go to photos>album>tap bottom right icon> set to home. Enjoy!

Vorash Kadan said:
That's ok, think I'll pass on that echoes. If you want a prime example of the Vita's touch not responding correctly try the Welcome Park slide puzzle touch game. It's pretty much impossible to get the trophies on 14 & 15 piece puzzles since the slides don't always move when you attempt them.

Again my point of pricing is justified, sorry if I sounded like an @$$ Mush but I mean what I say & I try to only speak the truth. Sony is making a BIG mistake in ignoring their psp install base & will pay for it DEARLY in the future...which is actually what I'm hoping for since I'm not paying more than $5 for psp games....esspecially ones I already own like Dissidia, Crisis Core, Exit, KH:BbS, Dark Stalkers, Megaman X, Castlevania & more. :-x

I've yet to do all the welcome pack stuff yet, for other gaming applications such as uncharted I've found that they have reacted well enough. May be its worth exchanging your Vita with the store you bought it with as obviously it has some defects.

In regards to PSP games - Yeah, they are a little over priced. Some are fine like GTA etc, but some are still too extortionate. I really want to play Dissidia as I never had a PSP but the price is too much for a game that is now like 4 years old.

How much are the PSP games?

@Vorash - Don't worry about it mate, I'm all for you voicing your own opinion, just try to accept other opinions too. As it seems with most of your posts you only seem to really think about your own. Like I said, no offense to you or anything. I completely and utterly understand being screwed over. Like Echoes said, get a replacement, maybe your Vita is just one from a bad batch or something.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Steven M

There are 1 members online at the moment.