Final Fantasy

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 25.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

I'd emulate it if I was you, then you don't have to worry about dieing ;3

( Edited 13.07.2017 19:12 by Guest )

Its pretty cool that you can play the first 6 FF games on the DS either through the DS itself, or through the GBA slot.

Don' emulate.

You can never be a real Faris fan if you emulate.

EDIT: Do you think the 20th anniv versions of FFI and II were a wasted opportunity? They could have remade them in AWESOME 3D on PSP, or at least on DS, but now we'll prolly get neither out of fear of "Holy shit not these games again".

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Do you think the 20th anniv versions of FFI and II were a wasted opportunity? They could have remade them in AWESOME 3D on PSP, or at least on DS, but now we'll prolly get neither out of fear of "Holy shit not these games again".

I think they just threw I and II at the PSP to appease Sony and PSP fans, which seems fairly clear to me as if they really cared they likely would have put more effort into it.

I'll probably still get them, though the music says a LOT to me about the effort in them, because they're not much better than the GBA versions.

Infact they're pretty much the same as the GBA games... except seperate.

Wish I could understand what S-E were thinking.

Funny how Square screwed over PSP owners with their FF Remakes yet they'll be giving the system 3 of the potentially best RPGs in Birth By Sleep, Dissidia and that FF13 Spinoff. Smilie

I'm currently playing IX, at the end of the second disc. Still ploughing through it...

But at the end of the day none of them are proper FF games and BBS will probably just be short but with 3 scenarios.

Meaning 358/2 Days > BBS Smilie

Also it has best CoOp ever.

Thought I'd pop into this thread as I'm a big FF fan. Admittedly, like a lot of people, I started out at FF7. I was probably about 11 or 12 at the time when my dad got it for me for Christmas. I think I got Ocarina of Time that year too and I played that loads before I tried FF7. FF7 was my first RPG game really, so it was all new to me. I couldn't get the hang of it at all. But after giving it the time it needed, I became engrossed.

I played that thing day and night and it soon became one of my most favourite games ever. From that point on, I was a big FF fan and got FF8 and FF9 when they came along.

To this day, I cannot choose my favourite game between 7, 8 and 9. They are all brilliant games in their own right, each with different battle systems and mechanics, which is what I like about FF - it's not always the same, like Zelda for example. They like to change the way you equip your characters and fight.

I bought FF1 & 2: Dawn of Souls for GBA and beat them both. I own FF4, 5 and 6 on PlayStation, and I have also got to the final boss of FFX on PS2. Sadly, I haven't beaten 4, 5 and 6, even though I really want to. I went back to play 5 after ploughing through 10, but I couldn't get into it again because everything was so slow compared to FFX.

The battles, the menu screen, the loading... I couldn't handle how long it took to play the game. So I guess I'm holding out for potential DS remakes too. I'd like to bring myself to get through these games because I know they are good, but I don't know when it'll happen.

In response to all of the bumming of Cloud and Sephy, I think it stems from being that age when the game first came out. I was like 12 when I got FF7, not too long after it was released, and I grew up a massive fan of Cloud. People that play FF7 today for the first time probably won't see what all the fuss was about. I guess you had to be a kid playing it when it came out to jump on board the bumming wagging for Cloud and Sephy.

It's probably the same for the characters of the other series too. I don't get the fuss for certain other characters, and I'm only really looking forward to seeing Cloud and Squall the most in Dissidia. But others really love Terra and Bartz and Cecil. So I guess you had to be there to fall in love with them.

Anyways, FF7, FF8 and FF9 will probably always remain my most favourite FF games. I grew up on them during my teen years and have loads of memories.

FFX is great too but I have only played through once up to the final boss. I loved how quick the battle system was and I enjoyed it a lot, but I need to play through it again.

Crystal Chronicles I really enjoyed. I mostly played it alone to be honest, and I actually really liked it. I appreciated it for what it was, and not what it wasn't. I spent a lot of time on it and beat it. I thought it was a great game but it needs the online multiplayer it craves. Hopefully the new DS/Wii game will be that game, but it looks very odd on the Wii in those graphics. Hopefully Crystal Bearers is still alive and kicking and will be the true successor to Crystal Chronicles on GameCube.

You should get Ring of Fates on DS if you havn't yet, it's very good and much more fun in single player than the original FFCC.

Also, god knows why I like Bartz and Terra so much (they're prolly my fave FF heroes, except maybe Zidane).

I think I like them because they're unique for FF heroes. The first FF game I ever played was IX, and the first ones I ever bought were I & II on GBA, so I have no real connection with any characters (except possibly Zidane).

Bartz is original because unlike a lot of FF heroes he's mostly cheerful and optimistic. I like Terra because the plot of FFVI almost revolved around her, and she's a girl, which has only ever happened twice in the FF main series (including a game that won't be out for a year or two...)

I like Zidane, probably because he was the first FF main character I found out about, and he's generally pretty funny until he goes super-emo.

But to be honest I can't see why people like Cloud. He's an arrogant prick for nearly half of FFVII, and he's pretty bland other than his rather stupid hair. Sure he's strong, but so is every other FF main character, Cloud just doesn't have anything that shouts out "Ooh that's awesome". Zack on the other hand has a lot more personality and is pretty awesome. Another reason FFVII should be remade, maybe they could make Cloud a bit more likable.

As for FFV, I didn't really see it being that slow on the GBA version, and it definitely seems faster then FFVII (which seems pretty slow to me, probably because of the D-Pad and HUUUUGE pre-rendered backgrounds XD) GBA version has no loading either. And better translation!

( Edited 13.07.2017 19:13 by Guest )

Ah yeah, Ring of Fates. I do need that game. It's on my list. I would kind of feel like I'm wasting my money if I bought a GBA version of FFV when I have it on the PS1. They're effectively the same game, but the GBA version loads quicker I assume. Unless I found it really cheap then I don't think it's worth picking up. I just need to bring myself to put up with loading on the PS1.

I also think Zidane's one of my fave characters, probably because I used to relate to him a lot too. People bashed him for being cheery and un-emo-like (opposite of Squall and Cloud), but he was a refreshing change. And one that I really enjoyed learning about.

Back when I started at FF7, I don't know what it was about Cloud. I think I just used to think he looked cool. As plain and simple as it was, I think that was one of the reasons for my love for him. He used to have kick-ass hair and a massive sword. I think those two things gave him his "cool factor" and I for one admired him for it. Yeah, it sounds lame, but I was a pre-teen, and I admit it. I dare say many other Cloud followers like him for the same reasons, although might not want to admit it now.

Same pretty much applied to Squall too. Even though looking at Squall now, people think he is the definition of emo, back then it didn't really exist (and if it did, I'd never heard of it). So I used to think his black leather jacket and trousers, white shirt, silver necklace, gunblade, brown wavy hair and scar between his eyes were effing awesome. Looking at him, he seems like a biker in those clothes to be honest. But he looked so damn cool. And I think that's all that mattered.

Older gamers might have looked past all that and either liked or hated Squall for who he was. He was cold and arrogant. Didn't care about anyone but himself. How could anyone like that sort of person? So when it came down to it, I guess he got a following, just like Cloud did, from the pre-teens that thought he looked cool.

Then again, maybe not. I'm just trying to be honest here.

Did they give squall a personality change in Kingdom Hearts? I mean, I've never played FF8 nor have I seen any of it, but from what I hear, a lot of people say Squall's personality is really bad (If you don't like the whole emo thing) whereas in Kingdom Hearts, after he knows Sora, he seems sort of friendly towards him and some of the others.

Azzy said:
I would kind of feel like I'm wasting my money if I bought a GBA version of FFV when I have it on the PS1. They're effectively the same game, but the GBA version loads quicker I assume. Unless I found it really cheap then I don't think it's worth picking up. I just need to bring myself to put up with loading on the PS1.

Possibly, but the GBA version has:
- No loading
- Up to date names
- Up to date translation
- New dungeons and jobs

But if that's not enough I would definitely get the DS version if it comes out.

I also think Zidane's one of my fave characters, probably because I used to relate to him a lot too. People bashed him for being cheery and un-emo-like (opposite of Squall and Cloud), but he was a refreshing change. And one that I really enjoyed learning about.

Same reason I really like Bartz. There is a part of FFIX that Zidane goes emo though.

Back when I started at FF7, I don't know what it was about Cloud. I think I just used to think he looked cool. As plain and simple as it was, I think that was one of the reasons for my love for him. He used to have kick-ass hair and a massive sword. I think those two things gave him his "cool factor" and I for one admired him for it. Yeah, it sounds lame, but I was a pre-teen, and I admit it. I dare say many other Cloud followers like him for the same reasons, although might not want to admit it now.

I used to be a huge fan of Link, but recently I can't think of why I ever liked him so much. I know the aim of his character was blank so people could interpret him, but I still really liked him for the longest time. It might be similar to that.

But unlike Cloud, Link is portrayed as a pretty nice guy. XD

Older gamers might have looked past all that and either liked or hated Squall for who he was. He was cold and arrogant. Didn't care about anyone but himself. How could anyone like that sort of person? So when it came down to it, I guess he got a following, just like Cloud did, from the pre-teens that thought he looked cool.

Personally I got really annoyed by people who thought that attitude was cool. It's like people who think 50 Cent is cool, and that really got up my grill, because he just sounds like a twat to me. Smilie

I've always had a problem with those "dark cool" characters though. How Sasuke and Gaara can be so popular I'll never know.

It sounds tempting lol. If I ever see FF5 Advance cheap, I'm sure I'll pick it up.

Perhaps you secretly liked the look of Link. I think a lot of the time, we just love the character we're playing as no matter what game it is. When I played FF7, I thought Cloud was awesome. When I played FF8, I thought Squall was awesome. When I played Zelda, I thought Link was awesome. Same with Leon in RE4, Lloyd in Symphonia, Ike in Path of Radiance.

Whenever I play a unique RPG/adventure game, I fall in love with the character I play as. Maybe it's natural for a lot of us to that. Then we think "Why do I actually like him/her so much?". And you can't always answer that question with anything logical.

Or that's just me XD

By the way, that budgie is freaking amazing.

Yup, the bird rules >:

To be honest I liked Lloyd because he wouldn't accept the way things were, he wanted to make a real change, even when it seemed impossible.

Nowadays when I play an RPG, some main characters shout out to me, and some don't.

Like more recently when I got into Kingdom Hearts, I realised that Sora is pretty ownage. Mostly the way he really Mary-Sues Disney worlds. Usually I hate mary-sues but there's something about Sora that makes it OK. Smilie

And more recently Cloud... after all the acclaim he gets from people, even now, I just don't see any reason to like him. I liked him in Crisis Core because he was a nice guy, but now he's kinda blank. Then in Advent Children... more emo than ever.

I'm a FF virgin. I don't like turn-based anything, but the enthusiasm of several friends has persuaded me to dip my toe. I'm thinking IV on the DS because:
1) I've got about 3 hours a day of bus rides to kill,
b) I already own a DS,
and iii) I don't want it to drag on for months and have to sit for 70 hours at a console. Don't have the time.

Any objections, or better, links to cheapness?

Less posty, more gamey.

Well, if you really don't like Turn-based games, I doubt FFIV would change your mind, no matter how good it is.

You could try an underated gem called The World Ends With You. I'm quite sure that title doesn't have Turn-based conditions, and it has quite a lot of unique elements to it. Smilie

Ugh, Advent Children.

There really was no point to that movie other than to reap in extra profit for Square Enix.

Okay, it looked great, and it was good to be able to see my fave FF7 characters again, but honestly, there really wasn't much point.

I also think they ruined FF7 by introducing all this impossible high jumping and almost flying moves the characters could do. It kind of detracted from the way FF7 was played on the PS1, and turned it even more unrealistic. It was kind of a "WTF?" moment every time I saw Tifa zooming across the church and then launching herself across the room off a wall.

I know it's fantasy and I know it may have been a little less entertaining if they characters fought properly like in the game, but because that sort of stuff didn't really happen in FF7 the game, then it seemed so odd to have it in this movie.

That new Omnislash sucked too.

Well in reply to the opening question i've alway liked FFVI and IX the most then XIII and X following close behind while FFVII sat in the back seat. I'm planning on picking up IV on DS soon so i can play it again.....man its been along time and i only hope that they'll eventually remake the remake of FFVI

I noticed (and quite hated) the way that the characters in Advent Children, like in so many other films now, ripped from the Matrix again.

It wasn't even that good of a film and was basically four parts, mixed with nothing inbetween:
- Tifa fight scene with mobile victory ringtone
- Bahamut cameo frenzy
- Reno and Rude as comic relief
- Cloud vs Sephiroth again.

You could try an underated gem called The World Ends With You

Ugh, stick to Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. TWEWY is a mess of a game, maybe I just need to see past confusing dual screen battles, repetitive scanning for things to do, terrible looping music and nastily scaled sprites. Smilie

360 Gamertag: shiptoncraig
PSN: shiptoncraig
Steam: Guess what?

Yay Kingdom Hearts Smilie

Yeah if you wanna get into RPGs and you can put all your manliness behind you, try KH aswell. Smilie

shiptoncraig said:
I noticed (and quite hated) the way that the characters in Advent Children, like in so many other films now, ripped from the Matrix again.

Meh, not bothered about the Matrix stuff personally, it's just a load of special effects for melee fight scenes and may as well become a regular action adventure convention since any attempts at reviving the Matrix series will probably be crap like the last 2 films.

It wasn't even that good of a film and was basically four parts, mixed with nothing inbetween:
- Tifa fight scene with mobile victory ringtone
- Bahamut cameo frenzy
- Reno and Rude as comic relief
- Cloud vs Sephiroth again.

No it wasn't, since I started playing FFVII I've realised that it has nothing to do with the story and was really just FFVII fanservice. I guess that's OK really, and we get to see what the characters did after the events of FFVII... though personally I find it really hard to believe that Cloud and Tifa live together with a delivery service... it just sounds... stupid.

- The Tifa fight was pretty cool
- Screw Bahamut. I thought this was set AFTER FFVII, he shoulda been a pansy to the party.
- Reno and Rude are still awesome
- Putting Sephiroth in the film was a pointless waste of time. He still didn't show off his real powers. It was like Venom in Spiderman 3.

This is why films cannot always do much justice. Smilie

Yeh advent children was definitely fan service, although i didn't mind the bahamut fight, but the whole cloud sephiroth fight wasn't as exciting or engaging as it should have been

I developed a rather bias opinion of FFVII without even playing it quite a while back because if the irritating fanbase who completely ignored the brilliance and even existance of FFI-VI. Since I now own the game and started playing it I have started liking the game as I would any Final Fantasy, although I still see Cloud as a complete prick. ;-Smilie

Besides that, FFVI would have to be my favorite, there isn't a single character I don't like. After that from top to bottom would go; V, IV, II, I, III. People seem surprised when I say FFIII is my least favorite, this is talking about the DS version here. I still love the game, I just don't like it as much as any of the others, people also seem surprised when I say I like II a lot.

I haven't played enough FFIX or X to really know what I think about them, although I really loved what I played of IX.

( Edited 13.07.2017 19:14 by Guest )

Ha ha FFIX probably had one of the most retarded conversations I have ever read in a FF game, I'll always remember this quote.

Apart from that FFIX was pretty cool, not as good as some of the others I've played, had a very slow battle system which really annoyed me and the characters and setting didn't really click with me.

( Edited 13.07.2017 19:14 by Guest )

^^Click for a wallpaper version^^

Hmm, I dunno, her changed name really worked well the longer you played through the game with it, plus you can speed up the battles in Options. I reckon FF9 has the best Character development and individual personality out of all the FFs.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz

There are 1 members online at the moment.