Final Fantasy

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 25.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

It was more reasoning behind the name that change was really silly.

Did have some good character development but as a whole I wasn\'t keen on the story.

Kuja was kind of a lame sephiroth clone and

( Edited 30.10.2008 13:19 by Mario_0 )

^^Click for a wallpaper version^^

I think Dagger is a good nickname, and especially Garnet, who was spoiled and kept locked away until she escaped would probably not know what a dagger was.

Despite only having played FFIX once so many years ago, I remember that conversation too. She also cut her hair short, which arguably symbolises a dagger being shorter than a sword. Also she likely didn't want to be indecisive with her new name, and wanted it to be something perhaps even roguelike.

Garnet's real name is a great tribute to the FF series too. Smilie

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

I remember IX, I talked to this guy behind some sort of chair in Memoria and got Ark. Complete with 5 minute intro cutscene.

In FFVIII, I also got the Mog, Chocobo and Moomba summons. Aswell as the Devour and Explode battle commands Smilie

360 Gamertag: shiptoncraig
PSN: shiptoncraig
Steam: Guess what?

After being in full speed Sonic and Pokémon mode for a little while now, I got my PSP and Crisis Core, and am now very much in an FFVII mood again, so after I play through Crisis Core again (most unfair game ever...) I'm going to continue playing FFVII.

I also plan to get FF Tactics on my PSP.

Final Fantasy VII will always be the game I loved the most whilst playing it. The story was very well crafted and all the characters were interesting in the game. For ages nothing was cooler to me than Sephiroth. The most satisfaction in the game for me was:

1. Earning a new limit break to use
2. Breeding a gold chocobo
3. Using Knights of the Round for the first time
4. Killing Emerald and Ruby Weapon

lol the only thing I didn't do in that game was get Tifa's final limit break but I didn't rate her character in battle anyway.

Fond memories *sniff*

Now I am looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII. Much to my pleasure it appears that they have gone back a bit in terms of the battle style (XII didn't feel like FF to me anymore, it instead felt like Vagrant Story). Active time battles are back which is fantasic to me though it will work in a much more fluidic way with Advent Children style fight scenes happening. The fact that all the videos I have seen for FF XIII have had sex with my eyes is a good sign that Square isn't losing it's touch yet.

My problem now is that Final Fantasy Versus XIII also looks quite swish and interesting though I don't have a PS3 and I don't have pots of money lying around to get one! Smilie

Woooooooo!!!

Crazylurch, where the hell have you been!? Good to see ya back.

I'm liking the characters for XIII so far. Lightning looks too androgynous though, but I do like her hair. Snow looks like Seifer, Vanille seems like Nomura's answer to Rydia (because everyone loves Rydia so much), and Razh reminds me of Balthier, which can only be a good thing as Balthier is so damn awesome.

Still, seems like we won't be getting XIII until summer '10 anyway, which is a bummer.

SuperLink said:
Crazylurch, where the hell have you been!? Good to see ya back.

Losing track of time it appears. Haven't been round here in a fair while. Nice to post again though.

SuperLink said:
Still, seems like we won't be getting XIII until summer '10 anyway, which is a bummer.

Which sucks a lot considering they have been making this game since what seems like the dark ages now. Well if it is that far away I will probably buy a PS3 to play it on because one disc is nicer than 5 million that it will be on for 360. I may have overexaggerated there.

Oh on another note from what people have been saying earlier in this thread. Yes I am very much a FFVII fan because it took over my life for a while. Never been hooked like that before. But BEFORE anyone thinks that I have not considered it against all the others; I do own most of the Final Fantasy games. VI is a very very good game indeed in my opinion. Was very amusing having Moogles with weird weapons coming to my rescue. I remember liking very much the opening FMV in VIII though the game was up and down from there (end boss was great).

The summons in IX were something to behold. When I watched the Odin destroying Cleyra scene for the first time I think my chin may have been on the floor. Was also loving the Bahamut vs Kuja scenes.

I could talk about them all for about 3.5 years I imagine so I will stop now before I rant on about tiny things in the games that I loved for no apparent reason. Smilie

Woooooooo!!!

I don't really like the actual FF games because of the turn base i never really like turn based games instead of pokemon to be honest unless they had a EV, IV thing like pokemon or be able to add "Ability/skill" points. I liked legends that was for the GB and FF:CC was quite fun even playing alone but i got stuck in that area where there was fake treasure chests.

When all is bad don't look for a easy way out. Because you wont know what to do once your out

I just suppose it depends on how much of a fan you are of good old JRPGs. If you are not into active time battles then no most of the FF series is not going to be for you. I love it so am quite excited about the 13th installment of the series. It's ironic how they're all 'final'. I hope there won't be a final Final Fantasy yet!

Woooooooo!!!

I for one cant wait for ff13 so much im going import it

any way what you thinbk of the new guy they show

Image for

Sazh Kalzroy he have a afro and chocobo chicksin his hair lol and his weapon is a pair of pistols

ff9 and ff6 and ff7 are my top ff games others are good but them 3 are work of art for games

( Edited 17.01.2009 10:08 by Jump_button )

Wait, I don't think it was ever confirmed that FFXIII was turn based or active time battle? From the screenshots it looks like a mix between FFX and FFXII. I know the gameplay can't be both, but somehow I highly doubt it will revert back to the original series gameplay.

I think SE have said that FXIII will be going back to a ATB system but it'll be heavily revamped and a lot faster.

My personal favourites are FF8 and FF9. The characters in FF8 were a lot more down to earth, it had a brilliant intro and the best mini-game in a FF game. FF9 had more character, some Fing amazing cutscenes but more importantly the character development was better than any PS title and it didn't require grinding which was my biggest gripe against FFX. In FFX if you wanted to see the additional content you had to grind your characters for days to level up enough which was far too boring for me.

Matthew Evans [ Writer :: Moderator :: King of Impartiality :: Lord of the 15min Thread ] As the wind blows the sand to cover the camel's tracks so does time move to cover the Lord's.
Rejoice for the Lord will taketh his quarter and give much back to his followers.

SuperLink said:
Wait, I don't think it was ever confirmed that FFXIII was turn based or active time battle? From the screenshots it looks like a mix between FFX and FFXII. I know the gameplay can't be both, but somehow I highly doubt it will revert back to the original series gameplay.

From every little bit of info I have managed to bleed from the internet I have been able to find out that it is ATB but with a difference. Instead of there being MP, every move you can make has a time cost before happening. So if you want to perform a powerful move you will have to wait and possibly take a pounding in the process. If you wish to do a simple attack then you can do it almost instantly.

The 'limit break' or whatever they will call it looks good. She can slow time and perform more poweful and acrobatic moves whilst this time period exists. There hasn't been any info yet on how their 'limit breaks' fill up. Most are guessing that they will all have very different abilities during their limit break. Guess that info will come out eventually.

I read that it started as a PS2 game too Smilie

Woooooooo!!!

its active time battle every thing have a cost they no MP

attack cost 1
fira cost 3

as time go by you get cost points and you can save them and do a combo of say 3 attacks or use magic or whatever

lighting have a attack called launch no one know what it do but if you ask me i think it a attack that toss them into air and he cut then down or her gun to sword

Sounds a lot like the Lost Odyssey battle system to me.

A part of me is glad it got delayed to next year. Aside from the fact that it gives the Squeenix more time to iron out any problems or make any new additions, it also means I can start FFXII, Rogue Galaxy, buy and enjoy White Knight Chronicles, and finish a plethora of RPGs in my collection. Smilie

Crazylurch said:
I just suppose it depends on how much of a fan you are of good old JRPGs. If you are not into active time battles then no most of the FF series is not going to be for you. I love it so am quite excited about the 13th installment of the series. It\'s ironic how they\'re all \'final\'. I hope there won\'t be a final Final Fantasy yet!

That is true and honestly But when playing a turn base game it get repeative even the enemies appear a lot of times are the same. Al thou there are a lot of same enemies in real time battles you need to stay active in the game.

Ok now back on topic. It\'s not that im not into turn based games it\'s because it isn\'t really much of a challenge if the enemy can be killed in one hit. Yeah i like Fire Emblem More Tactile but im also a huge fan of WarCraft because its more challenging because its... \"real\"... if your weak, HP wise, they will kill you.

( Edited 17.01.2009 19:43 by Wolvesgod )

When all is bad don't look for a easy way out. Because you wont know what to do once your out

Isn\'t there at least 1 final fantasy game out by now? (and I mean a new main series installment not a remake or side game) Were at least 4 years into this current gen and we still have to wait another year for this game to arrive Smilie

( Edited 17.01.2009 21:37 by Mario_0 )

Yeah, I think S-E are taking much longer to put out the main series FF games, but there have been loads more spin offs because of that, like it or not.

That said, the sequel to Final Fantasy IV is new, and still being release episodic style I think, so that may be an ALMOST mainseries game.

Unlike other mainseries sequels or prequels though, the battle system is mostly the same as a mainseries game.

Must say it\'s been a bit crap so far this gen for JRPG\'s on consoles, if you didn\'t have a PSP or DS you would be a bit starved for choice.

*continues waiting impatiently for FFXIII and Dragon QuestX*

( Edited 17.01.2009 21:54 by Mario_0 )

360's got:

Eternal Sonata
Tales of Vesperia (soon)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (soon)
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey

PS3's got:
Valkyria Chronicle
Disgaea 3 (soon)
(if you count those)

Wii's got:
ToS2 (soon)
My Life as a King (if you count it)
And that's it for the moment...

But yeah, DS and PSP have tons. So if you don't have a DS, get one. Smilie

Been playing FFIV. Started pretty dodge, but going through that first cave has peaked my interest. I don't think I could stomach games and games worth of turn-based battle, but I think the last one I played was Pokemon Yellow back in't day.

Have just killed the Octo-wotsit after a few attempts, and I'm enjoying itSmilie

Less posty, more gamey.

SuperLink said:
360's got:

Eternal Sonata
Tales of Vesperia (soon)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (soon)
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey

PS3's got:
Valkyria Chronicle
Disgaea 3 (soon)
(if you count those)

Wii's got:
ToS2 (soon)
My Life as a King (if you count it)
And that's it for the moment...

But yeah, DS and PSP have tons. So if you don't have a DS, get one. Smilie

Disgaea 3 is already out in America, i finished it back in June thanks to my importing skills.

Mario_0 said:
Isn't there at least 1 final fantasy game out by now? (and I mean a new main series installment not a remake or side game) Were at least 4 years into this current gen and we still have to wait another year for this game to arrive Smilie

I don't mind waiting another year for the next Final Fantasy to come out, its only been about 2.5 years since FFXII hit the shelves, and the same length of development time was taken between IX and X, due to the new system. I'm guessing October release for XIII, and April release for Versus XIII

mage_mccloud said:
Disgaea 3 is already out in America, i finished it back in June thanks to my importing skills.

Yeah, I was going by UK releases since Tales of Vesperia and ToS2 are both out in the US already aswell as Disgaea 3.

I don't mind waiting another year for the next Final Fantasy to come out, its only been about 2.5 years since FFXII hit the shelves, and the same length of development time was taken between IX and X, due to the new system. I'm guessing October release for XIII, and April release for Versus XIII

I get the feeling we're gonna be waitin' ages for Versus and Agito. Information on them is still incredibly scarce.

Most people's problems with JRPGs is that when they play them they have this expectation of it being like an action game with fighting being in real time.

I'm quite happy for all the characters and enemies to just stand there whilst I decide on the optimum for that time. I enjoy JRPGS for the strategic element and taking my time in battles to see if I can kill enemies with the least MP and HP spent doing so. I was so obsessed with FFVII and leveling up magic and characters etc that I could have just gone into battle with Emerald Weapon and left them to fight it without any input from me. The battle would end with all characters having full MP and HP. Good old counter everything materia.

I would be thrilled if they brought materia back into a FF game in the future. I found it to be the system that was most fun to use. I am getting tired of earning points to move around some silly ass board uncovering abilities under tiles.

I'm a snob when it comes to RPGs. Only really a FF fan. Lost Oddysey would be so much better if the frame rate wasn't so horrific in battle.

Woooooooo!!!

I'm a fan of many JRPGs, including:

Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Tales

^Those are the big three for me, love 'em to bits (Pokémon's in a tier all to itself though)^

I'm in a REALLY Tales mood atm despite not having any new Tales games to play. Sucks living in Europe.

And yeah, I love Counter to bits, especially in FFIV Draw + Reach + Counter = ultimate attacker Smilie. Materia is FFVII lore though, so it won't be returning in games not set in the FFVII-verse, unlike Augments and Magicite which are pretty general terms that have appeared in multiple FF universes.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
juzzy

There are 1 members online at the moment.