Final Fantasy

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 24.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

You're right, playing it now while knowing a lot (but not all of) the story means it won't be as special, but this way I get to see it for what it really is, just another Final Fantasy game.

FFVII is special for most because it's the first RPG they played, or because it took the series 3D, but from a completely objective point of view, FFVII is very overrated. It's amazing but the fact it overshadows FFIV-VI so much (especially V and VI!) is horrible. Cloud isn't even that interesting a character, yet people worship the ground he walks on, same goes for Sephiroth. I love FFVII and the story but people give it more credit than it deserves, and as a huge fan of FFV and FFVI, which hardly get any recognition compared to VII, it pisses me right off.

As for an FFVII remake, I say it has to be done. FFVII hasn't aged well, and the localization was awful (This guy are sick, you're limit gauge, Aeris, etc). Plus the story is deepened further by Crisis Core, which I think has a great story and good characters (Cissnei and Genesis would be present in a remade FFVII).

Plus Aeris would be called Aerith and this name argument would end forever.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

It's really cool to hate FF7 these days too.

^^Click for a wallpaper version^^

I don\'t hate FFVII, I love it, but I hate that so many people love it so highly above every other FF game.

Also I thought this way about FFVII before it was cool to hate.

( Edited 22.01.2009 22:13 by SuperLink )

I love it over the others because I simply feel that it was actually the best one in my opinion. In so many of the others the characters get way way too descriptive about every little thing and with constant back stories that I think it is overkill. With FFVII I think less is more, I like the fact that you don't know every little piece of information about the characters. I think this could be the reason why so many people think Cloud actually is cool. They think he is because they can fit whatever they want to with their imagination unlike many of the other characters from the other games that are described in every detail to death.

I'm not a fan of being tarnished with 'you love FFVII because it is the first you played' brush. I played the others without knowing anything about them and enjoyed them just not as much.

Plus I kind of the like the weird translation mistakes from Japanese games to the west. I think it just makes it a true JRPG. Smilie

Cloud and Sephiroth are cool Smilie

imo

Woooooooo!!!

I prefer Terra and Kefka, but hardly anyone knows who they are... Smilie

What's worse about this whole thing is that Squeenix milk FFVII for all it's worth, although I guess I'm glad that FFXII and even FFIV got sequels.

And Sora could so beat Cloud in a fair fight. Smilie

Crazylurch, for some reason I said shell (which is the mana shield) when there's a spell whcih casts protect and spell (the name escapes me).

Emerald Weapon also always used its massive attack when it reached a certain hitpoint level.

The regen was so I didn't have to worry about healing because with X-Summon, Knights of the Round and mime (sadly it didn't work with X-Command) you only need to double cast Knights of the Round once. After that the enitre party, including the original caster can double cast Knights of the Round for free.

I beefed my characters up to the point where they had full hit points and hit for 9999 on spells and melee so I could use pretty much any member and get the same results. The Limit breaks were insignificant once you acquired Knights of the Round and some master materia.

Matthew Evans [ Writer :: Moderator :: King of Impartiality :: Lord of the 15min Thread ] As the wind blows the sand to cover the camel's tracks so does time move to cover the Lord's.
Rejoice for the Lord will taketh his quarter and give much back to his followers.

MGE said:
Crazylurch, for some reason I said shell (which is the mana shield) when there's a spell whcih casts protect and spell (the name escapes me).

Emerald Weapon also always used its massive attack when it reached a certain hitpoint level.

The regen was so I didn't have to worry about healing because with X-Summon, Knights of the Round and mime (sadly it didn't work with X-Command) you only need to double cast Knights of the Round once. After that the enitre party, including the original caster can double cast Knights of the Round for free.

I beefed my characters up to the point where they had full hit points and hit for 9999 on spells and melee so I could use pretty much any member and get the same results. The Limit breaks were insignificant once you acquired Knights of the Round and some master materia.

The magic that casts both protect and shell in FFVII is Wall though if you found this creature on some beach near the ruined reactor where you find titan you can manipulate it and get it to cast Big Guard on you which you can then use to get Haste, Shell and Protect all in one move to every character. Regen runs out too quickly with haste on for my liking. Tagging on HP abosrb and MP absorb to KotR was much more effective.

I found that Emerald's Air Tam Storm was used at random points in the battle. It always did 9999 to my party because of the amount of materia I had equipped. But wasn't a problem with phoenix anyway.

I know the limit breaks weren't that good for battle near the end but they sure were pretty at the time. Plus I'm sure many are familiar with W-Summon (as it was called in my version's case). W-Item was a good materia because there was the glitch were you could make all your items go up to 99 if you had at least 2 of them. Megalixirs all round then! Smilie

The one only hassle with mime was that Knights of the Round lost power when mimed. Weirdly Bahamut Zero gained power when mimed but all that move for just 9999 damage? No thanks. I'd rather just attack.

MP plus and HP plus were the stuff you needed to be at 9999 for HP and 999 for MP. You had to have them or you couldn't reach the maximum even at level 99.

At one point during one of my play through the games I was very lucky to level Red XIII to a point so that he had maximum HP of 7777. This gave him the ability to use the lucky 7777 ability in battle and he would just continuously attack for 7777. This was amusing to use on Emerald weapon. Red XIII would stop eventually during the battle but when he did you just restored his health to 7777 again and he went on the killing spree again. Twas a shame I couldn't keep him with that maximum HP of 7777.

Come to think of it the game would have been better without Knights of the Round. It just made every other move look pathetic. Smilie

I know who Terra and Kefka are. I liked Kefka.

Woooooooo!!!

Me and my bro bought copies of DS Echoes of Time earlier. If anyone else has it we\'d ba glad to play some CoOp with you xD.

It seems pretty awesome so far. It\'s not much of a one player but it\'s huge as a CoOp game.

Lilties have spears again! Selkies have Paddles again! YAY.

( Edited 16.04.2009 12:58 by SuperLink )

I didn't know it was coop over wi-fi, I didn't buy it cus all my bros hate the Crystal series so I wouldn't have anyone to play it with. I might actually consider it now.

Once you get to the Adventurer\'s Guild, you can make 24 characters or something crazy like that. There are also full outfits for Chime, Leo and Pavlov from My Life as a King, and Layle from Crystal Bearers.

You can set 12 messages for multiplayer/WiFi alongside little character animations (waving, jumping, etc) but you can also write down messages in the middle of gameplay; no swear filter it seems.

The Wii version only has Mii masks and slightly better graphics, so yeah, DS version FTW.

( Edited 16.04.2009 16:47 by SuperLink )

I just got it as well, tis really awesome Smilie

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

Anyone see the new logo for the Crystal Bearers?

Image for

Street Fighter!Smilie

From the size of the Crytstal Chronicles text they seem to want to position this title away from those games.

( Edited 16.04.2009 21:17 by Mario_0 )

The new logo is starting to grow on me. I posted a link to it on the wacky FF trailers thread.

It makes sense for them to want to distance this game from the rest as it seems to be more story and single player focused which the others kind of lack. And with the Wii version of Echoes of Time getting crap sales and crap reviews, it seems like Square don\'t want this game to be associated with that title in particular as that could put people off.

( Edited 17.04.2009 00:36 by wAyNe - sTaRT )

SuperLink said:

And Sora could so beat Cloud in a fair fight. Smilie

Any of the main characters could beat cloud in a fight. Terra would snap him with magic, Squall would get up close and shoot him gunblade into Cloud's face, Tidus and Cloud would be an equal match, Zidane would be do fast and get cloud from behind. Cecil would do simlar to tidus, same for the guys from ff1-3 (all of which predominantly use swords), Vaan doesn't really stand a chance unless he used the zodiac spear. We already know that Sora beats cloud so nothing new there.

SuperLink said:
Cloud isn't even that interesting a character, yet people worship the ground he walks on, same goes for Sephiroth.

I agree on cloud as a crappy character...in VII, but he really good in crisis core. Luckily Enix made the character more interesting and the link between Zach and him, really drives VII home now. In all fairness VII sucked in my point of view until they released crisis core. CC simply extended the more interesting part of the story over the stupid writing in VII. Why did sephiroth go crazy, well instead of looking at a stupid jar and buring down a house, you get the whole neat backstory that makes sephiroth actually sound interesting.

Neither of the characters is exceptionally amazing, however CC did progress the characters liking for me. Cloud jumped way way up my list, and zach was an instant favourite, sephiroth still hangs as a mildly cool but not as interesting villian as say Kuja, Kefka or whats his face from FF2, he probably sits alongside Jecht as the whole, trying to be badass to protect the one who mattered most; lame but simple concept characters. Oh well, thats what happens when crazied fanboys get hold of titles in genres they've never played before, look at what happened with halo.

Stop bullying Cloud you lot! He's ok. Smilie

If a PS3 remake of FFVIII was made I would buy the console just to play it. I really wonder why Square refuses to remake it. The amount of discussion it gets on the internet is immense. I know several people that would buy a PS3 just to play it.

Woooooooo!!!

I think Square refuse it because they wouldn\'t want to reveal it and cause huge amounts of fuss if they take a long time doing it. Personally I think it\'ll definitely happen, but they\'re working on it without letting us know for a little while, hopewfully same with remakes of FFV and FFVI.

I think the Emporer from FFII is pretty lame really. He was REALLY evil, but that\'s about it. I think Kefka beats him because Kefka\'s not only insanely evil, he\'s also insane. He reminds me a little of the Joker (or the other way around)

I really like Sephiroth in Crisis Core. In some ways his story is almost as sad as Zack\'s, and it shows that there was another twattish character that influenced him along the way. Unfortunately Sephiroth didn\'t get the same second chance that Genesis got.

Still don\'t like Cloud too much though. Maybe an FFVII remake could change that.

EDIT: Echoes of Time Wii version is getting crap sales and reviews because it\'s just a bad idea. It has no real advantages over a handheld version, even in the graphics department! So I really hope S-E doesn\'t use EoT\'s poor Wii sales as an excuse to not make Wii games...

( Edited 17.04.2009 18:47 by SuperLink )

So I really hope S-E doesn't use EoT's poor Wii sales as an excuse to not make Wii games...

I doubt it, I mean it's an emulated DS game it's about as lazy a port you can get.

I hope they do away with that pollux engine or whatever it was called, it's obviously a pile of wank.

It\'s a good idea, but the visuals of the Wii version make it an instant turn off for probably every FF fan.

Personally I no longer see why the Pollux engine has to work with 2 games of near identical graphics. If the Wii version had the same visuals as FFCC or MLaaK, I\'d buy it in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately it seems like the Wii may never get a proper CoOp FFCC title; although that\'s not to say I\'m not looking forward to Crystal Bearers.

EDIT: Completed Echoes of Time Smilie Ending is pretty sad in true FFCC fashion.

( Edited 21.04.2009 20:53 by SuperLink )

I've played a bit of VII and VIII, IX, and IV. I can't say I ever really got into the FF franchise though. Out of the games I've played, IX is my favorite.

I've also played Crystal Chronicles, but that games no fun to play alone.

Final Fantasy is one of my favorite games of all time.

Jeezy69 said:
Final Fantasy is one of my favorite games of all time.

me too

I feel Final Fantasy X is the best among the lot. Do I have a reason ? well I dont.I playesd almost all versions but Final Fantasy X is the most liked ones. Even in forums people write very fond of the version. I am overwhelmed.

It was more reasoning behind the name that change was really silly.

Did have some good character development but as a whole I wasn't keen on the story.

Kuja was kind of a lame sephiroth clone and

look what coming!

Image for

Jump_button said:
look what coming!
Image for

Mr Jump Button.
Mr Jump Button.
If you\'re getting me excited for no reason I\'m going to kill you. In the friendliest way possible of course.
OMG. PLEASEBEREAL. FUCK.

EDIT: I let myself get excited and I\'m going to pay the ultimate price. Because I\'m gullible. Right?

( Edited 22.12.2009 23:12 by SuperLink )

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex

There are 1 members online at the moment.