RE5 XBL demo out today.

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 25.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Well if you look at comments on destructoid and kotaku there seem to a fairly vocal group of people who totally hate it. :/

^^Click for a wallpaper version^^

Mario_0 said:
Well if you look at comments on destructoid and kotaku there seem to a fairly vocal group of people who totally hate it. :/

Why? C3 is the only games website that I post on, so I'm not really familiar with the trends of other sites' communities.

SuperLink said:
But it seems lots of people think not being able to move while shooting sucks.

That does suck, to be fair. If they could think to grace the protagonists with the ability to sidestep/strafe, then surely a hipshot isn't too much to ask? They could do it like in Call of Duty 4, where shooting without stopping and aiming is possible, but highly inaccurate, and used mostly for covering fire whilst you're retreating, or when you suddenly get ambushed, etc. You never use it if you've got time to aim.

I suppose in RE5's favour, you have always got time to aim, such is the ridiculously meandering nature of the game's enemy's, whenever they come within range of you. They'll sprint across a courtyard to get within your personal space, and then proceed to basically inch their way very slowly towards you, giving you loads of opportunity to fuck them up. Which makes no sense.

On the Public Assembly level for example, it'd be really handy to be able to blast a crowd of fools randomly with your shotgun as you're running through them. Perhaps they should have made the enemies a bit more vicious in the way they attack you, and allowed you to shoot whilst moving.

It's not a big deal, since the enemies seem to be built around how your character can and cannot move. For example, the Exocutioner from Public Assembly, and the chainsaw boss guy from Shanty Town both have one-hit attacks that either mortally-wound your character (requiring your partner to resuscitate you before you die), or just kill you outright. However, it takes both of them ages to do these moves, and you can always really easily just run right past them, and they'll just sort of look at you as your shoulder brushes against theirs Smilie

I was doing a little online Co-op with some random last night and we had just passed the Sheva ambush where Chris has to cover her, I procceded to kick Zombie ass (I was Chris) then rather stupidly the guy playing Sheva din't unlock the gate so he was left to fight Bag head on his own, I was shooting at Bag Head thinking I was safe in the building I couln't get out of then Bag Head rushed up and cut through the lock on the gate so I was free! I think it's pretty cool that the enemies can interact with the enviroment once and awhile.

Project Trico Love
"Please keep all comments clean and friendly!"- C3 Bot
No chance of that.

I played this last night for a few hours on the PUUS3 and I just can't get used to it with a PS controller, it just doesn't feel right! Smilie
The graphics are amazing, and the weapon switch is really good, but the only thing that bugs me is the PS controller and the aiming isn't great to be honest, I know its just a demo but from what I've played I think this needs to do something amazing to beat Resi4, also the Offline multiplayer is effin rubbish, I did not like that at all!

I see all these people insulting the Nintendo corporation because of the lack of mature content. Yet there is something about Nintendo (at least their games) that strikes a certain unadulterated feeling of joy!!!  Pokemon Y - 1048-9263-5562

Zapp said:

The graphics are amazing, and the weapon switch is really good, but the only thing that bugs me is the PS controller and the aiming isn\'t great to be honest,

The aiming seems fine to me if I switch to control type A and the fastest aiming speed.

I just hope Sheva isn\'t with you all the time in the full game. She can look after herself pretty well, but I still find it annoying having her tagging along.

I keep finding myself wanting to waggle the remote. Smilie

( Edited 04.02.2009 09:14 by Trepe )

I just hope Sheva isn't with you all the time in the full game. She can look after herself pretty well, but I still find it annoying having her tagging along

She almost has to be with you, or at least two people at all times because of the co op element of the game. otherwise, one person would be stuck with nothing to do!

My pictures wont appear so heres a smiley

Not necessarily. They could take separate paths during the game, with the person playing as Sheva playing that other part away from Chris, and maybe corresponding with him via radio or something? It's perfectly possible that they could spend large portions of the game apart, and that both the levels in the demo were of the two together merely in order to demonstrate the teamwork aspect of the game, which is sort of new to RE.

I've been using the Type A controls on the PS3, and i don't see the need for strafing. The game is easy enough with the control scheme in the RE4 style that having strafing added in as extra would make the game almost laughable in difficulty.

Strafing is only used in dodging bullets, the worst you have to dodge is thrown axes in this game, which can be shot down with one bullet.

I don't agree at all. I like the strafing. I primarily just use it as a general movement tool, and occasionally to dodge an axe. You can say it makes it easier, but I don't think so. It just makes it a little less tank-like. It's not as if RE4 was difficult, now was it?

After playing it a bit more, I'm really liking it now. It took a while to get used to it but once I learned that items are assigned to the d-pad, I started to like it more, especially in online co-op.

My tv is only 19" so split-screen co-op is just not worth it since it becomes too small to see anything.

Martin_ said:
I don't agree at all. I like the strafing. I primarily just use it as a general movement tool, and occasionally to dodge an axe. You can say it makes it easier, but I don't think so. It just makes it a little less tank-like. It's not as if RE4 was difficult, now was it?

It was easy, but i can imagine how much easier it would be if strafing was implemented. The way they present it just feels more intense, and that if you see trouble comiing you can't simply sidestep a huge axe, but quickly 180 turn and run the ehll away and get yoursel fin a better position for your next stand off.

mage_mccloud said:
It was easy, but i can imagine how much easier it would be if strafing was implemented. The way they present it just feels more intense, and that if you see trouble comiing you can't simply sidestep a huge axe, but quickly 180 turn and run the ehll away and get yoursel fin a better position for your next stand off.

Yeah, but what if they just made the enemies faster? That way, you'd be able to move while shooting and still keep the intensity of being surrounded and chased. Smilie

mage_mccloud said:
It was easy, but i can imagine how much easier it would be if strafing was implemented. The way they present it just feels more intense, and that if you see trouble comiing you can\'t simply sidestep a huge axe, but quickly 180 turn and run the ehll away and get yoursel fin a better position for your next stand off.

Nah, that\'s still bullshit. It\'s like making Doom harder by not allowing you to sidestep. Why not just make it harder in a good way? Besides, the RE5 demo is quite challenging. The Public Assembly level is harder than anything in RE4.

( Edited 05.02.2009 01:56 by Martin_ )

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.