The Book Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 28.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Has anyone here ever read the Cirque Du Freak series? Its about a Vampire pretty much. Its not crap like Twilight. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. There are 12 books overall in the series. They are very interesting. Smilie

khaled hosseini's The Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns are must reads

reviews | mix coupon code | mix recipes | mix blender |

I'm now in the ever so prolonged process of reading The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I haven't laughed this much at a book in quite some time. Silly British humor...

The former top user was Keven! You'd probably give birth to yourself 1000 times over until you sprout wings to fly away into the fading sun, that or you'd just turn into a lesbian. Who knows @_@ - L, 12/06/09

Keven said:
I'm now in the ever so prolonged process of reading The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I haven't laughed this much at a book in quite some time. Silly British humor...

One of my favorite books ever. The original was the best, then quality gradually goes down.

I started to read one of the Assassin's Creed books, but it was crap as it seems all they did was let someone play the game and write what was happening on screen, except just skipping out on Desmond entirely.

( Edited 01.02.2011 17:09 by Lrrr )

I've just finished Safe Harbor by Nicolas Sparks. It contain pretty interesting story and i would like to rate it 8 out of 10. But now i am looking for a novel based on true story about someone. If someone have any novel in your mind then plz recommend me.

Revival!

I really recommend The Man Who Was Thursday. It's about a philosopher hired as a new kind of police officer to infiltrate a group of anarchists. It's a really good story that turns into a sort of comedy/farce towards the end, and is just an interesting read in general. It's public domain so you can download it or get one of several editions on Amazon.

One of my favourite parts (no spoilers):

"Naturally, therefore, these people talk about 'a happy time coming'; 'the paradise of the future'; 'mankind freed from the bondage of vice and the bondage of virtue,' and so on. And so also the men of the inner circle speak -- the sacred priesthood. They also speak to applauding crowds of the happiness of the future, and of mankind freed at last. But in their mouths" -- and the policeman lowered his voice -- "in their mouths these happy phrases have a horrible meaning. They are under no illusions; they are too intellectual to think that man upon this earth can ever be quite free of original sin and the struggle. And they mean death. When they say that mankind shall be free at last, they mean that mankind shall commit suicide. When they talk of a paradise without right or wrong, they mean the grave.

They have but two objects, to destroy first humanity and then themselves. That is why they throw bombs instead of firing pistols. The innocent rank and file are disappointed because the bomb has not killed the king; but the high-priesthood are happy because it has killed somebody."

You can download/read it at:

http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/1695

http://es.scribd.com/doc/66852974/The-Man-Who-Was-Thursday-A-Nightmare-G-K-Chesterton

And here's an audiobook version here:

http://librivox.org/the-man-who-was-thursday-a-nightmare-by-gk-chesterton/

I've read the First two game of thrones books, really good so far. I've got Inheritance on order, the last of the Eragon series of books.

I'm thinking of picking up an amazon kindle at some point, any thoughts on eBooks? Pricing of them seems a little extortionate for newer books..

Echoes221 said:

I'm thinking of picking up an amazon kindle at some point, any thoughts on eBooks? Pricing of them seems a little extortionate for newer books..

Yeah, when the Steve Jobs biography ebook costs more than the hardback, there's definitely something wrong. Some of the stuff I have or want doesn't have an ebook edition (John Hodgman in particular). When the paperback or hardback is within £1.00 of an ebook I would personally prefer that. Plus a pretty cool little second hand place nearby to browse every now and then with stuff under £1 and I can't justify a Kindle or similar right now.

Even a Nineteen Eighty-Four ebook is within 50p of the paperback for most editions it seems.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.