THUG...dissapointing?!

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Well I got it, and I can't say it is all that good. Whilst the skating sections are quality as ever it all looks a bit bland. You'd think that getting off your 'board and running about would be fun, well you'd be right. At first it is great entertainment and brings in good variety but soon I started to feel that I was playing a ballsed-up platformer. Some bits are good, some bits and bad...and some bits are plain duff Smilie

Trying to think of a witty signature after 'Hacker-gate'...

I've heard that on the PS2 version you can do something on the website where you scan in a picture of yourself and you are given a password, you then put the password into the game and your face appears in the game. Is there any sign of this is the GC version?

Really? How the hell does that work then?

I would've thought they could do something like that with the eyetoy?

Anyway, THUG will never be dissapointing for me because I had no expectations of it what so ever and I don't even really have the time for American 3rd-party games these days.

I seen someone playing the game a while ago - he was generally mucking about, but what was really funny was the way you jump; you jump Superman style as to catch crimanals. He spent a happy 10 minutes chucking himself in front of cars and buses to see what they'd do!

Anyway, I still want to get it, and I'm also interested in that face scanning thing. I can imagine Little Lee running riot in the streets of LA already! Smilie

"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh." Fly fast, stay low, hit hard
Guide to using the Metroid Bounty Hunters.
{Guild}Ohmdal: But how did you get the poo inside of the box when the goat was sleeping on top of it?
{Guild}Ohmdal: oops wrong chat

Sharpshot wrote:
Really? How the hell does that work then?

"Using its own proprietary scanning technology for the PS2, THUG enables players to flesh out the story mode to its fullest. It's a simple matter of sending in a digital photograph to [email protected]. Within less than 15 minutes, players have a low-res texture that's downlodable to their memory cards. The oval image is fit onto a character model, after which players can then go to town customizing their new babies.

This gimmicky feature, which has been available on PCs for years, works. Very well. It doesn't work so much because it's that accurate; my face never looked exactly like my own. But it functions well enough because of the customization I did afterward; because there is something magically connective and gratifying about seeing oneself in a game. In conjunction with the Story mode, it all fits together. You work your way up from local punk to a skateboarding pro. You really do feel like a skateboard star."

from IGN.com

I haven't played it yet but once I do I'll know.

"This is my friend Big Fat Paulie, and this is his big fat ass."

frazzle wrote:
I can imagine Little Lee running riot in the streets of LA already! Smilie

Terror in all the old peoples minds!

[:: Lee Sanders :: Cubed-3 :: News Reporter :: Writer :: Head Of Secret Operations:: Resisdentual Slacker ::] On Twitter = LeeTSanders I have a Cubed3 limited Edition mug!
DO YOU! So Cute - bit.ly/yIEgXv

Hmm, but that would only work with online rite? Something the GC aint really using atm...

Hmm, I don't think we need the GC on-line, just a PC. Though I think it may be limited to Japanese only kinda thing, with their exclusive technology.

"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh." Fly fast, stay low, hit hard
Guide to using the Metroid Bounty Hunters.
{Guild}Ohmdal: But how did you get the poo inside of the box when the goat was sleeping on top of it?
{Guild}Ohmdal: oops wrong chat

really though, what is the point of gettin of ure board in a skatin game, unless u wanted to go up some stairs to reach another jump it is pretty pointless. id say that no. 4 is the best.

They have being going on and on about being able to drive cars and my friend has THUG and he says that drivin cars dosent make a big part of the game!
Smilie

After reading countless reviews I was slightly put of THUG. However, my friend bought THUG a few days ago and I got to play on it yesterday (Tuesday).

I really did enjoy it; it might be the same-old same-old game with an added gimmick (getting on/off the board). However, didn't the previous games just have an added gimmick? Correct me if I'm wrong but the THPS series went something like this:

THPS2 - THPS1 with manuals
THPS3 - THPS2 with revert
THPS4 - THPS3 with no "timer" and spin tranfer.
THUG - THPS4 with a "platform" element (getting on/off board)

(I know there are other variables like level design and etc)

The only thing I can't stand when I was playing the game was the car bits. They are super-crap. Anyway, I've just ordered my THUG from play.com about 10 minutes ago.
Smilie

[ Edited by bmxgamer on 2003/11/26 17:06 ]

[ Edited by bmxgamer on 2003/11/26 18:34 ]

Has punk died?

I haven't got it yet, but from what I've played at my friends house. I don't think I'll be dissapointed. Smilie

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

From what IGN aer saying it is brilliant, I think I will pick it up come Christmas. Smilie

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.