Nigh Tengine

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 29.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

See, I thought of a witty name for it now, I think you will agree anyway.

Well, I have a bunch of new shots and a video anyway, so I thought I\'d make a new topic instead of bumping the dead one which didn\'t get any attention anyway....*sigh*

This is just a nice shot of my main shader right now which handles pretty much anything \"ordinary\" (ie, not the water, leaves, terrain etc). It has diffuse, normal and specular mapping with support for up to 5 lights.

Refractions in mah water shader with massively sharpened specular highlights for the sun (interesting how water reflects light very different I\'ve found).

Made these rocks quickly this morning, they\'re supposed to be like the ones in oblivion. they look better when they\'re lower in the ground.

lil\' Sunset also showing off my depth of field and 3d water with procedural tidal patterns.

Finally a clearer shot of my depth of field which has come out quite nicely.

Sadly the video quality got somewhat raped and I\'ve actually done a lot of work in the past day, so it\'s \"old\" Smilie

( Edited 29.06.2009 22:07 by knighty )

Still very impressed with what you've done with the water and the lighting Smilie I hope you have fun with the rest of it too.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

You are pretty talented. Amazing. Smilie

I'm always amazed by the work you do. You working with a developer yet?

Are you still at college?

That's some amazing stuff. Hey, I'd hire you. Smilie

The former top user was Keven! You'd probably give birth to yourself 1000 times over until you sprout wings to fly away into the fading sun, that or you'd just turn into a lesbian. Who knows @_@ - L, 12/06/09

Alan WipEout. Good job with Nigh-T engine hope it improves over time.

Thanks guys. Jacob, I'm waiting to hear back from Lionhead at the moment Smilie

Guest 30.06.2009#9

*sticks another feather up Knightys arse*

Smilie

Great stuff. The water looks brilliant. Some other elements probably could use some work. The way the background is blurred looks sort of off-kilter in the woodland shot. But yeah, it's beginning to look like something you wouldn't mind playing.

Thanks. Yeah, the issue there is a result of the way I'm blurring it. See, what I do is I have the original image and then a blurred image which interpolate between based on the depth (the blurring is a bit more complicated than that, but that's the jist of it), so stuff which falls between has a sort of weird look as a result of it being less blurry, but the extents of the blur are the same. No real way to get around it easily in realtime. Well, I have an idea. Will have to see what happens with it.

Profoundly erotic. Penis erect status increase +1

IANC said:
Dude yuor totally awesome. And i won't be killing you anytime soon.

I read that as though you said you were faking depth of field. Is that right? I'm naked also...Smilie

Woooooow. Smilie
Stupid boring biology degree... Smilie

Well, what\'s your definition of fake? \"proper\" Depth of field requires more information than you can fit in the frame buffer because you can\'t blur stuff properly that overlaps sharp areas because you need access to information behind the occluding object. The way I\'m doing it is fairly typical for real time situations. It can be improved by creating multiple blur textures to interpolate between, instead of the 1 I have right now, but that eats up some considerable amount of fill rate for a very insignificant gain.

( Edited 30.06.2009 21:08 by knighty )

Could you get on with Shenmue III for me, mate? Cheers.

Sorry I was playing Escape from butcher bay on PS3 and that game has the best use of DoF. I'm not downplaying your abilities in anyway. Every dev has a time when they fake techniques in order to produce similar results to the real thing.

Look at Ubisoft faking Normal Mapping on PS2 by creating so-called 'Geotextures' in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Also Team ICO faked the HDR lighting in Shadow of The Collusus.
I don't care how you achieved the end result, I care when it looks awesome fucking wowsome.

All techniques are faked. I don't get what you're getting at. Geotextures? Never heard of it, and a google search gave me nothing. I'm gonna guess they are object space normal maps which are still used today for many things.

Try Geotexturing, it refers to the PS2 version of Chaos Theory which allowed Ubisoft to create a similar effect to Normal Mapping without crippling the PS2's hardware.

They aren't used by any other dev other then Ubisoft Montreal and because they don't have to do it no more (with PS360) they don't use it no more.

Fuck yeah guess who's working on the engine for Milo in a months time. Smilie

knighty said:

Simez?
Mage Mccloud?
Keven?
JB!? Smilie

Oh wait you meant yourself... nvm Congrats. Smilie
Hope you have fun torturing him etc Smilie

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery
Guest 01.07.2009#22

knighty said:

Gongrats, hope you have fun as well. Smilie

Very impressive work, Knighty! Inspiring too; gives me something of a benchmark to aim for over the next two years. Smilie

Congrats on the Lionhead placement, too. That's ace! Any plans to keep a blog detailing your time there? Would be interesting.

Cubed3 Staff [ Retro Editor :: Previews Editor ]

Well, I dunno how much I'd be allowed to say, so probably not. We'll see I guess.

I imagine you won't be able to divulge much of what you'll be working on, if anything at all. Congratulations though, mate!

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.