Super Mario Galaxy 2 Official Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 29.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Discuss Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), news, the latest pictures and videos!
Image for

Welcome New Galaxy!

Welcome to the Official Super Mario Galaxy 2 thread. Here we can discuss one of the most anticipated games on the Wii and maybe share your opinions on what you would like to see in the game. Not much is known about it yet, but Nintendo have commented on a few points about it.

Reggie Fils-Amie has stated in a IGN interview at E3 2009 that Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be more challenging than the first game. Shigeru Miyamoto has said in an E3 interview that the game will also have 95-99% new features and the rest being previous features like the Bee Suit. He also said the game will have less focus on a plot than the original game and that the game is very far in development and is planned to be released early 2010.

Screenshots

Image for
Image for
Image for

Image for
Image for
Image for

Videos

E3 2009 Trailer

IGN Rewind Theater

Reviews/Scores

[100] Edge Magazine

This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away.

Read Full Review

[100] 1UP

Takes everything its predecessor did and maintains that urgent sense of wonder and discovery, creating a world that copies its past self, yet keeps the freshness that made it so exciting when the first game debuted two years ago.

Read Full Review

[100] IGN

Consider me “wowed.” Again. Yes, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it’s not a “me too” experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new.

Read Full Review

[100] Games Radar (in-house)

Expanding on the original’s brilliance, this ingenious platformer only gets better by embracing the Wii’s limited capabilities and adds so many ideas, big and small, that we can’t help but love it. Even if you (mistakenly) believe it’s too similar to the first game, what’s wrong with more of an incredibly great thing?

Read Full Review

[100] The Escapist

Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't tinker with the established formula very much, but we didn't really want it to. It's huge, brilliant, and gorgeous. It's why you started playing videogames in the first place.

Read Full Review

[100] Digital Chumps

Even the harshest critics will struggle to find fault in its symphony of imagination, execution, and polish, while fans will cherish its brilliance for years to come as one of the very best games in history. Quite simply put, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the reason I still play videogames.

Read Full Review

[100] Kombo

Super Mario Galaxy was a triumph, but the sequel manages to take things to a new level of excellence by adding new material as well as fixing elements that, in hindsight, did not appear to be broken.

Read Full Review

[100] Giant Bomb

For all the meaningful changes and additions that have been made, this is still more Super Mario Galaxy--which is to say that it looks and sounds about as good as a game for the Wii ever has, with consistently inventive level design, and exceptionally responsive gameplay.

Read Full Review

[100] GameSpot

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is simply an outstanding game. It never rests on its laurels for a second, constantly presenting new objectives and mechanics to push you to never before seen places. Even the two-player mode offers new abilities and delights, making it even more fun to play with a friend by your side.

Read Full Review

[100] Nintendo Life

Every once in a while a video game comes along that's just so spectacular that it ends up defining the very system it's released on and raises the bar by which all other games in the series and genre will be judged. It's safe to say that game has now arrived on the Wii console.

Read Full Review

More

Enjoy and discuss! Smilie

( Edited 23.05.2010 10:21 by Marzy )

Guest 19.10.2009#2

The question of course is, will this beat Uncharted 2?

Please ignore the comment above and do not discuss it, please.Smilie

Well, the only sensible thing I can say about it so far is that I'm probably going to get this if I get a Wii, it looks and sounds absolutely great. Oh and I can wait until it's released.
First I will need to get the first game and complete it though. Oh what a wonderful feeling to be able to do that still. Getting a system late in it's life rocks.Smilie

The IGN rewind uncovered some interesting tidbits I hadn't heard about before.

Anyway, I'm completely stoked for this and have been sine the initial announcement, more of something incredible will probably be incredible too, unlike New Super Mario Bros Wii, which imo doesn't look like it'll be anywhere near Galaxy or this.

Also rewatching the trailer I'm actually a little surprised by all the "newness" (I'm probably too used to watching NSMBW videos), like Yoshi, the lovely grass, and the wider variety of world designs.

As for reception, since it is essentially "more of the same" I don't expect it will be received anywhere near as well as the original game, but it would definitely be nice if this complimented Galaxy well, rather than seeming completely unecessary.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Damn, I was thinking of making a thread for SMG2 this morning. And I watched the original trailer on youtube after seeing the dolphin emulator in HD.

I think that more of the same is a good thing. Plus I think it's different enough to be worth buying. I'll be lookig forward to this for next year.

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Well I have to say i'm not particularly excited about it. For some reason, I wasn't excited about Galaxy either. It wasn't a first day purchase (more like a week later but meh) But I had a brilliant time with it. I wasn't that bothered to get all the stars, I may go back and complete it properly (only have like 25 stars left or something). I'm still looking forward to this though, Some of the levels on Galaxy where truly breathtaking just the field of vision and the smoothness of the gameplay overall.
I will be getting this, but I'm more psyched for titles such as Marumasa: The Demon Blade or Metroid Other M (And Red Steel 2 tbh). This will still be a first day purchase though as I loved the original and it was my first *propper* Mario game that I actually (and only) own.

How you didnt complete Galaxy i do not know, i was highly critical of the game initially but after i got to grips with the motion-sickness of the game it was absolutely fantastic. THe game really picks up in the last 20 odd stars and the purple coin challenge was fun, wasnt amazingly challenging but was a nice game to play through.

Bit early to start a thread on it though, it won't be out until this time next year knowing shigsy, this will be the Christmas game for 2010.

With Zelda, Mario and Wii fit plus out for christmas i don't think Nintendo will release Galaxy 2 or Metroid other M until september 2010

White Ranger said:
Bit early to start a thread on it though, it won't be out until this time next year knowing shigsy, this will be the Christmas game for 2010.

Shigsy has said it's very far in development due to the fact they don't need to make a new game engine, and it will probably be out early 2010.

Guest 19.10.2009#8

It's anyones guess really. We all know release dates can change, so no one can make a definite statement.

How you didnt complete Galaxy i do not know

Sorry, should of made that clearer. I completed the Main Story but I didn't collect all of the stars for the bonuses.

Echoes221 said:
How you didnt complete Galaxy i do not know

Sorry, should of made that clearer. I completed the Main Story but I didn't collect all of the stars for the bonuses.

Nah i figured that, but the rest of the stars up to the end are great! i reccomend playing them, you've still got a 1/5 of a game there!

I agree, and the extras are one of the most awesome instances of "we didn't have to but we did anyway" ever.

In my opinion the whole 70 stars to finish the game and 120 for those that want to is a perfect solution to the casual gamer / hardcore gamer dichotmoy. Most people should be able to get the 70 stars required to finish the game, but to get 120 stars you have to try quite a lot harder. They should offer another final boss though for the 120 stars completion.

He also said the game will have less focus on a plot than the original game and that the game is very far in development and is planned to be released early 2010.

Odd, I didn't think that SMG emphasized too much on plot. I kind of liked what they did, making the story sort of semi-optional. Like Metroid, the story was there, only you got to choose whether to get involved in it or not.

ohm said:
Odd, I didn\'t think that SMG emphasized too much on plot. I kind of liked what they did, making the story sort of semi-optional. Like Metroid, the story was there, only you got to choose whether to get involved in it or not.

Yeah I thought that too. I think we\'ve all realised that Galaxy 2\'s story will pretty much be \"Bowser does it again, Rosalina helps again\", and that\'s it.

It\'s a big shame because I thought Rosalina was a really interesting character.

( Edited 20.10.2009 00:31 by SuperLink )

A user on You Tube has been producing his own fan-made music for the game. I really like the Driftwood Galaxy music they produced.

Driftwood Galaxy

( Edited 20.10.2009 17:54 by Marzy )

I sure hope it is more challenging. I found most of SMG to be far too easy and is what stopped it from being a really great game for me.

-Have you any idea what it's like to be a Fembot living in a Manbot's Manputer's world?
-What?

I miss 2D Mario. Smilie

I don't think Nintendo have ever made a 3D platformer that I thought was even close to Super Mario World.

This game looks like it is the same except the levels, and yoshi, and I am just talking about the trailer so none of us really know what nintendo has put in the game for us but all I know is I am buying this game!

( Edited 21.10.2009 00:55 by epicz231 )

I also do crack and heroin

This game will be awesome. Damn 3 Proper Mario games this Gen? Awesomeness, pure Awesomeness! Nintendo has to make another 2D or 2.5D mario too, just to keep it even!

I'd still rather have Galaxy 2 than New Super Mario Bros Wii. Just feels like you will be getting a much more detailed, longer and better game for the same price.

At Marzy's music post. It's a member of Neogaf I forgotten his name as his youtube name is different. But he's gotten alot of praise on gaf for his fan made midi synth work.

I'd prefer a Super Mario Sunshine 2 but I guess this'll do. Smilie

Hopefully Yoshi is used in a lot of levels. Would be a shame for him to only be in a few. Smilie

Super Mario Sunshine was one of my least favourite Mario games ever. In my opinion, the F.L.U.D.D and Bowser speaking in human language spoiled it and I generally didn't like the setting of the game.

Marzy said:
Super Mario Sunshine was one of my least favourite Mario games ever. In my opinion, the F.L.U.D.D and Bowser speaking in human language spoiled it and I generally didn't like the setting of the game.

Maybe that's why Nintendo doesn't really do voice acting now. Because maybe they tried it out with sunshine and some fans may have complained, or Miyamoto didn't like it.

I liked the voice acting in Sunshine, although, Sunshine seems to be the only Mario with More story. Maybe there shouldn't be much story in a Mario game than, the princess gets kidnapped by bowser. Mario goes to save her sort of thing. But I think the option of following a story is good. Rosilina's storybook was a nice touch to Mario galaxy for me.

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Imo the voice acting and expanded plot were the only particularly good things about Sunshine. Other than that it's my least favourite 3D Mario and my 5th least favourite Mario overall (Mario Bros 2, Mario Bros 1, and the 2 Mario Land games being the bottom 4 xP)

I liked sunshine, it was seriously underrated. Saying that, Mario Galaxy is still clearly the better game. I hope the soundtrack is just as good as the first, the trailer music had a midi sound to it.

Comment on Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii / Wii U Virtual Console)

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Developer

Nintendo

Publisher

Nintendo

Genre

3D Platformer

Players

C3 Score

Rated $score out of 10  10/10

Reader Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10 (1048 Votes)

European release date Out now   North America release date Out now   Japan release date Out now   Australian release date Out now   
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.