3DS Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Super Mario Galaxy 3DS

A possibility

A game that would benefit from 3D

Would be fucking Epic

That is All.

But it's more of the same... again and it would tarnish why the original was so good in the first place.

No more Super Mario Galaxy, please.

I was thinking more along the lines of a remake of the original Smilie

Yeah I think the Galaxy series should be left alone. This is Nintendo's oppertunity to launch a new Mario series. Personally wouldn't mind finally seeing a Mario 128 style game - just simple platforming, castle-hub, a shit-load of new worlds and so forth. But I'm sure they'll want to be more original than that.

A remake would be nice, but it's way to soon to be recycling that game - and there's really no excuse for not producing an original title. To be honest I really hope the 3DS marks a stop in the remaking tradition on Nintendo portable systems.

Oh yeah... Star Fox... never mind.

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

From what I've gathered and have seen previously, I didn't even think you were really into the Super Mario Galaxy games, yet you'd play a remake on the 3DS?

Why would you want to play a visually worse, more uncomfortable to play, worse sound quality and also a small screened version of Super Mario Galaxy?

Then there's the fact that it doesn't even need a remake, it's only just over 3 years old. It'd be totally pointless and would offer nothing substantial over the original game.

I want new games. No more remakes and use the systems abilities to create new experiences.

Because of the quick fire nature of the levels themselves, easy to pick up.

True, I'm not a fan of Mario games in general (In fact, Galaxy is the only Mario game that I actually own and have completed) but the thought popped into my head because of the way the planets curve and the cinematics within it would be pretty impressive on a 3D screen giving some mad depth to the galaxy.

And it wouldn't be that visually worse/worse sounding due to the resolution of the screens, the amount the cards can carry and the closeness of the 3DS to Wii's visuals.

It was just an idea, I know the game is only 3 years old, I just thought it could look quite impressive. I would actually rather a remake of that for portable necessities than Ocarina of time for the fourth time again. Not even Paper Mario does it, its third time we've seen it. Granted, if they did remake Galaxy its the same situation, I just thought it would look quite impressive.

But then thats just my opinion isn't it Smilie

And true, the less remakes, the better in my opinion, its just that Nintendo keeps going down that path, and no doubt we'll see tonnes appear on 3DSware or whatever its called of ported GBA games etc.

( Edited 28.01.2011 11:42 by Echoes221 )

Echoes221 said:
Because of the quick fire nature of the levels themselves, easy to pick up.

True, I'm not a fan of Mario games in general (In fact, Galaxy is the only Mario game that I actually own and have completed) but the thought popped into my head because of the way the planets curve and the cinematics within it would be pretty impressive on a 3D screen giving some mad depth to the galaxy.

And it wouldn't be that visually worse/worse sounding due to the resolution of the screens, the amount the cards can carry and the closeness of the 3DS to Wii's visuals.

It was just an idea, I know the game is only 3 years old, I just thought it could look quite impressive. I would actually rather a remake of that for portable necessities than Ocarina of time for the fourth time again. Not even Paper Mario does it, its third time we've seen it. Granted, if they did remake Galaxy its the same situation, I just thought it would look quite impressive.

But then thats just my opinion isn't it Smilie

For the last time, OoT on GC in form of the Collector's Edition and the Bonus Disc with Wind Waker and on the Wii VC, all of those were ports. There were some very slight improvements/changes but barely anything noticable. Ocarina of Time on the 3DS is the FIRST remake the game has had. Just look at the graphics and how fluent the game is running compared to the original. There could be a fair amount of bonus content and changes as they didn't want to show off anything outside of Kokiri Forest.

Either way, it will still be worse. I'd rather play the superior version, on the Wii.

In my opinion, Ocarina of Time even looks worse than the N64 version.

Also, I doubt the 3DS speakers will provide as good sound as TV speakers or a separate sound system. Again, from what I've heard coming out the system, the sound effects sound worse quality. I noticed this on the Resident Evil game, when watching someone play it.

( Edited 28.01.2011 12:13 by Marzy )

SirLink Said:For the last time, OoT on GC in form of the Collector's Edition and the Bonus Disc with Wind Waker and on the Wii VC, all of those were ports. There were some very slight improvements/changes but barely anything noticable. Ocarina of Time on the 3DS is the FIRST remake the game has had. Just look at the graphics and how fluent the game is running compared to the original. There could be a fair amount of bonus content and changes as they didn't want to show off anything outside of Kokiri Forest.

I know the difference between ports and remakes dude, sorry that sounded kinda vague in my description up thar. What I meant is that even though there have been ports previously and there is now a remake, all in all it is exactly the same game we've played before (so now in total 4x), albeit with a few graphical and gameplay bells and whistles. Sure its one of the 'best games ever made' but how many times can you play a title before that starts to wear off with knowing all the puzzles, enemies, traps and, above all, the plot? Hence why I was suggesting something newer to be ported. Games such as Ocarina of time, Stafox and Goldeneye should be viewed and lived through the sugar coated glasses of nostalgia.

I'll still probably get it though, I still haven't completed it (Yes OMG HE HASN'T COMPLETED IT!!!), I had it on the Wii and got about halfway through before I got distracted by other titles such as Lost Winds etc. The reason I'll get it on Portable is because its easy just to boot up and blast through it, and for me, technically, it is a new experience, but I would rather play a new Zelda rather than one that has seen various iterations released.

Marzy Said:Either way, it will still be worse. I'd rather play the superior version, on the Wii.

In my opinion, Ocarina of Time even looks worse than the N64 version.

Also, I doubt the 3DS speakers will provide as good sound as TV speakers or a separate sound system. Again, from what I've heard coming out the system, the sound effects sound worse quality. I noticed this on the Resident Evil game, when watching someone play it.

That doesn't bother me because I tend to wear a good set of headphones anyway when I game regardless of it being a hand held or console, I find it much more immersive. And as with everything, they will get better at compressing the data and fitting more on, and don't forget they can get bigger space cards which will allow them to put more audio etc on. Music is always last on the list in gaming and compressed to such a state that it gets completely bastardised.

I'm split on the look of Ocarina of time, to me they could of made it look much more impressive than it currently is. At the moment it looks like they just increased the Resolution somewhat, when they could of given it a complete graphical overhaul.

I'd love Galaxy for the 3DS for the sole reason of it being an awesome game to play anywhere. Wouldn't bother me if it was a port of the 1st game or something. I do hope they do something different with Mario on the 3DS though.

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

I generally prefer handheld versions of games. OoT3D may look a little awkward in screenshots, but the polygon count is definitely higher, and the textures are improved. Unless gameplay itself is changed somehow, I don't see how it can be "worse" than the original? I mean I know it won't be a comfortable TV
experience, but it's still a dream come true to me.

Whenever I have the choice of a portable or console version, I will always choose portable, unless the console version is substantially better. Why? I can play it anywhere, I can keep it in my pocket and just take it out.

Infact right now two of my most anticipated "hypothetical games" are Majora's Mask 3D and Persona 4 Portable. Then I'll have my favourite two games handheld <333

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

They are making a Shin Megami Tensei aren't they? But I'm guessing its a new one not a remake of one of 1-4...I have still yet to play 4 due to lack of PS2 Smilie

Echoes221 said:
They are making a Shin Megami Tensei aren't they? But I'm guessing its a new one not a remake of one of 1-4...I have still yet to play 4 due to lack of PS2 Smilie

They're making a Persona game and an SMT game. The SMT game is a Devil Survivor remake, and we don't know what the Persona game it yet.

I think it's more likely to be a remake than a new Persona game. I think a new one would appear on PS3 tbh.

Unfortunately part of me thinks that it'll be Persona 1 or Persona 3, i.e. a port of a handheld Persona that's already on PSP.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Intersting piece about how the human brain can't handle 3D images that well.

Echoes221 said:
I know the difference between ports and remakes dude, sorry that sounded kinda vague in my description up thar. What I meant is that even though there have been ports previously and there is now a remake, all in all it is exactly the same game we've played before (so now in total 4x), albeit with a few graphical and gameplay bells and whistles. Sure its one of the 'best games ever made' but how many times can you play a title before that starts to wear off with knowing all the puzzles, enemies, traps and, above all, the plot? Hence why I was suggesting something newer to be ported. Games such as Ocarina of time, Stafox and Goldeneye should be viewed and lived through the sugar coated glasses of nostalgia.

I'll still probably get it though, I still haven't completed it (Yes OMG HE HASN'T COMPLETED IT!!!), I had it on the Wii and got about halfway through before I got distracted by other titles such as Lost Winds etc. The reason I'll get it on Portable is because its easy just to boot up and blast through it, and for me, technically, it is a new experience, but I would rather play a new Zelda rather than one that has seen various iterations released.

I'm split on the look of Ocarina of time, to me they could of made it look much more impressive than it currently is. At the moment it looks like they just increased the Resolution somewhat, when they could of given it a complete graphical overhaul.

I think it's obvious from my post that I had to do with too many people who didn't know the difference in the past, isn't it. Smilie

I don't think you should take my opinion on replaying games because I replay the hell out of most of my games, just like I do with Zelda games. I've had a lot of people ask me already if that doesn't get boring after a while.

Why port something newer though? Super Mario Galaxy is a game from the current (home console) generation while Ocarina of Time is over a decade old. Shouldn't newer gamers be able to experience it upped to today's standards? I could imagine that there are quite a few people who would be turned off playing Ocarina of Time just because the controls, compared to today's standards, are damn awful. Same goes for the graphics. Sure, they could have given it a complete overhaul but I'm sure that a lot of nostalgia controlled fans wouldn't be pleased at all. Here, we're getting improved visuals that look awesome so far without looking too different from the original. I'd rather have them go all out on the next 3DS Zelda. Wouldn't you prefer that too?

I tend to think of handheld consoles as a different experience to be had. Some games will just work better on a handheld system, whilst others are more suited to a "home console".

For example, Animal Crossing is the sort of game I think suits a handheld far more. It's a personal game and something you can pick up and play any time, with no time constraints getting in the way. Games like Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Art Academy and Big Bang work well, due to the touchscreen controls and wouldn't play as well on other consoles.

That's not to say ports of older games can't be done on handheld systems, I just think "home consoles" offer the best experience there. I'd rather player Super Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo 64 and I would say the same for Lylatwars and also Ocarina of Time (Gamecube in OOT case).

If they add new features though, that can be good. I did enjoy Diddy Kong Racing online and I imagine an online mode will be added to Lylatwars, which I'd enjoy too.

Marzy said:
I tend to think of handheld consoles as a different experience to be had. Some games will just work better on a handheld system, whilst others are more suited to a "home console".

For example, Animal Crossing is the sort of game I think suits a handheld far more. It's a personal game and something you can pick up and play any time, with no time constraints getting in the way. Games like Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Art Academy and Big Bang work well, due to the touchscreen controls and wouldn't play as well on other consoles.

That's not to say ports of older games can't be done on handheld systems, I just think "home consoles" offer the best experience there. I'd rather player Super Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo 64 and I would say the same for Lylatwars and also Ocarina of Time (Gamecube in OOT case).

If they add new features though, that can be good. I did enjoy Diddy Kong Racing online and I imagine an online mode will be added to Lylatwars, which I'd enjoy too.

I think the same way. I totally loved Animal Crossing on my DS but when I played the Wii version, it just wasn't the same. It's just much more comfortable to just quickly turn on the game to check or do something with a handheld. Smilie

Animal Crossing on handheld's destroys my life because you can pop it open anywhere. I play it at night in bed, and then my Alarm goes off. Fuck. And for that reason, I love Animal Crossing. I didn't get the Wii one, looked like more of the same, but I will deffo be getting the 3DS one Smilie

Echoes221 said:
Animal Crossing on handheld's destroys my life because you can pop it open anywhere. I play it at night in bed, and then my Alarm goes off. Fuck. And for that reason, I love Animal Crossing. I didn't get the Wii one, looked like more of the same, but I will deffo be getting the 3DS one Smilie

Oh yeah, I definitely remember myself doing that ALL the time. My DS was always just right next to me when I was lying in my bed, I could never resist grabbing it, thinking "Who needs sleep anyway? Imma catch some fish/insects to get some money flowing." Smilie I also remember myself setting the alarm at 4am or something that I could catch a certain fish. Good times. Smilie

I used to amass 100,000 Bells a day through different fruit rotation as well as Fishing (Red Snapper and Sharks) as well as some of the giant bugs. Complete my Museum too. Oh god, thank Jesus I finish this years Uni before this comes out, it will absorb my holiday.

Echoes221 said:
I used to amass 100,000 Bells a day through different fruit rotation as well as Fishing (Red Snapper and Sharks) as well as some of the giant bugs. Complete my Museum too. Oh god, thank Jesus I finish this years Uni before this comes out, it will absorb my holiday.

I remember catching a TON of fish and insects and storing them all in my house till flea market was and because I had good relations with my neighbours they paid absurd sums for them. Smilie I had so many Bells, I had no idea what to spend them all as I had everything completely maxed out.

I really hope they're going to add a LOT of extra content this time. I don't care if it looks very similar, just give me stuff to do. The more, the better. Smilie

Image for

I would kill for this.

Smilie

Phoenixus said:
Image for

I would kill for this.

For a second there, I thought that Japan was getting that as an limited edition bundle. D:

Man, that would be amazing. I still prefer the gold GBA though. They made some mistakes, such as putting the CERO rating sign but leaving the title in English.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.