3DS Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Marzy said:
In my opinion, Ocarina of Time even looks worse than the N64 version.

I'm guessing it's been years since you last played OoT?
Image for

The games graphics have improved a lot since those screen shots from E3 2010.

Unless you like really blurry textures, the 3DS OoT looks worlds better, while still keeping to a similar style.

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/ocarina-of-time-3dsn64-video-comparison/

My favorite improvement there really is Link's model so far and that the Kokiri Sword actually looks like a Sword this time. In the N64 version it just looks so short, you'd think that you can barely hit anything unless you're right in front of it. Smilie

L said:
Image for

The games graphics have improved a lot since those screen shots from E3 2010.
WOW. That actually looks smexy.

I played through Ocarina of Time again, last year.

The 3DS version just looks worse, in my opinion. I don't see how it's "worlds better". The N64 version may have had blurry textures, but they fitted well and the lighting and colours looked better. The textures in this new one make it look out of place, with just hi-res ones slapped on over the environments (almost like those fan mods). Plus the water looks awful, almost like DS visuals.

Image for

A recent screenshot, from Nintendo World Japan

I'm generally speaking here though. Most of the footage and screens I've seen either look just as good or worse than the N64 version. I agree, the image you've posted does look better though.

( Edited 30.01.2011 13:51 by Marzy )

Jacob4000 said:
Unless you like really blurry textures, the 3DS OoT looks worlds better, while still keeping to a similar style.

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/ocarina-of-time-3dsn64-video-comparison/

I can't quite put my finger on why, but with the exception of Link's model and animations, I think I prefer the N64 look to the 3DS. Having said that, I'm sure it looks awesome on that screen in 3D. And when you're not comparing the two versions - it definitely doesn't look bad. It's just different.

Still can't believe this isn't a launch title...

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

^This.

The 3DS version looks a little blurry somehow. Possibly due to the recording setup? I guess the 3DS was recorded with cameras whereas the N64 was recorded with a capture card directly from the source? Thats my guess anyway.

3DS version looks MILES better, higher quality textures, better models, silky smooth frame rate, looks like theres some bump mapping applies on those stones, the game looks more vibrant and probably features much better sound quality than the N64 craptastic midi.

( Edited 30.01.2011 21:41 by Jimmy2000 )

I'm wondering if nostalgia is a factor for some of you in thinking the new visuals are worse? I never played OoT back in the day, I played it in the last five years or so. And it was blatantly obvious to me that the visuals had aged poorly.

This on the other hand, to me, since its coming from the creators themselves, is probably what they wanted it to look like. The game they would have made if they could have. I'm digging the silky animations, and the fact that each scene has more than four unique textures total in it. Smilie

And you can tell that they haven't just re-skinned it. Some of the things on display are clearly new objects, and not just a new texture slapped over it. I do agree that somehow the water looks a tad worse though.

As for why its not at launch, I think they're really taking their time to make sure they don't screw it up. I don't blame them. OoT is the most hallowed game of all time. Its very important to get this right, and I think Nintendo knows it.

( Edited 30.01.2011 22:09 by Jacob4000 )

It isn't a nostalgia thing for me either, some things look much nicer, whilst others don't. I can't quite put my finger on it. But as long as the framerate is smoother it will be so much better! >.<

Maybe its because I'm trying to compare it to other 3DS visuals, who knows.

God that is a terrible comparison! The 3DS obviously won't look anywhere near as bad as those gifs portray it Smilie

The only thing that I can see some people having an issue with is the N64 dosn't look quite as colorful, almost like the contrast has been turned up a few notches in the 3DS version.

Image for

N64 version seems to have a more earthy color, but other than that 3DS remake poops all over the original in terms of graphics.

I'd rather it not look identical to the original. Will make playing it seem fresh. Smilie

My main worries are weather or not Nintendo are putting effort into any new stuff in OoT. A simple straight forward remake seems pointless. Mario 64 DS at least has 30 new stars to collect and the mini games.

A Master Quest type difficulty setting would be a great Smilie.

( Edited 31.01.2011 23:34 by Ifrit XXII )

I would rather see all the extra Ura Zelda stuff from the 64DD expansion, rather than just sticking Master Quest on again.

Jacob4000 said:

As for why its not at launch, I think they're really taking their time to make sure they don't screw it up. I don't blame them. OoT is the most hallowed game of all time. Its very important to get this right, and I think Nintendo knows it.

Eh. I'm sorry but when you're talking about the launch of a brand new system, I think as a company you should put that sort of attitude aside. Every system needs a killer title at launch - rushed if it has to be. Microsoft pushed Bungie to finish Halo for launch. Would the Xbox have been as successful without that game from day 1? It's hard to say.

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

It's not there because they know it's not needed. Nintendogs (sold 22 million copies...) is probably a bigger system seller than Zelda.
They know it would be foolish to blow there load all at once so there padding out the game releases.

( Edited 01.02.2011 00:39 by Jimmy2000 )

just make majoras 3ds ;p Smilie

PS3 is just good for Catherine, Demons souls, Dark Souls, and Folklore
8)

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/01/3ds-super-mario-bros-confirmed-by-miyamoto/

No shit!

It's going to be shit and you jolly well know it.

Woot, am going to a 3DS preview event in Manchester courtesy of Eurogamer. Smilie I hope they have some half decent games to try out.

360 Gamertag: shiptoncraig
PSN: shiptoncraig
Steam: Guess what?

shiptoncraig said:
Woot, am going to a 3DS preview event in Manchester courtesy of Eurogamer. Smilie I hope they have some half decent games to try out.

Yup same here, Sunday London event. Gona be awesome!

There's a new Iwata Asks where they discuss the exterior and mechanical design of the 3DS here. The whole interview is worth a read to understand just how much effort has been put into the design and production of the 3DS. It's likely even more interesting if you actually know a bit about those things, I sure don't. Smilie

After reading it, it really seems like they've made the 3DS with no revisions in mind. There's not really anything important I could see them adding/changing either that couldn't be done via firmware updates. Battery life sure as hell won't improve that much in the coming year or two to warrant a new model. Camera quality and screen size are debatable and likely boil down to personal preference so I don't think that's anything that would warrant another model either, without having a major improvement accompany them.

A port of Geist to the 3DS would be great. It'd give people a chance to actually play it and it would suit the graphic style of the game.

Products can always be revised. The 3DS looks great but a new look would easily be possible. Whether or not it'd look better would be down to opinion but I can fully see them bringing out a new model in 2013.

Camera quality would likely be the same. The screens probably will get a little bigger with the touch screen becoming the same size as the DSi screens.

Battery life will improve to add a few more hours.

They could even add new built in games similar to the face raiders game on the 3DS.

Finally, they could increase the in-buit memory to allow for more games/music/photos to be stored directly on the 3DS. How much flash memory has the 3DS got? The DSi has 256mb

They will bring out another model, it's inevitable.

I always thought they could make the 3D screen better, as the technology improves. It would maybe have a better viewing angle/bigger sweet spot.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, Insanoflex

There are 2 members online at the moment.