3DS Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 24.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Sure, there'll probably be one at some point, just not anytime soon. I guess I'm just seeing way too many people who actually think that there'll be a 3DSLite(I have no idea how much more "Lite" the 3DS could get, but ok) in one year or even by the end of this year in time for holidays and that they will be holding off buying one until then. People are kinda ridiculous sometimes...Smilie

Personally, I think it will be around 2 years till the next model comes out, maybe even longer.

I do find it odd that some people (who will be getting one on launch) get all whiny and defensive at the people who will be waiting till the inevitable next model.

( Edited 04.02.2011 00:20 by Marzy )

2013 most likely. I'd be surprised if it's past that. The earliest would be Winter 2012/2013 in Japan.

Plus the screens are most likely going to be bigger on the new version so the next iteration would be a 3DSi or XL and it'll probably be more expensive than the current 3DS price. So those waiting for a cheaper new model are going to be disappointed.

Yeah, if you really like the look of the system and games, I don't see the logic in waiting for a new model - its surely a couple of years away at least. Someone can quote me on this, if there's a new model out by next Christmas, I'll eat my hat.

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

When you design a handheld gaming system at Nintendo, everyone says, “Make it thinner, make it smaller, make it lighter.”
Sugino:
Yes. (laughs)
Iwata:
You’re also told to make it so it won’t break if you drop it, so you have to make a lot of tradeoffs, such that if you do this, you can’t do that.
Sugino:
That’s our fate. Take the first Nintendo DS, for example. You said, “Make it thinner!” (laughs)
Iwata:
Yes, I said, “Do you really think this is all right?” (laughs)
Sugino:
I thought, “If I could make it any thinner, I would have in the first place!”
Iwata:
You thought you had made it as thin as you could from the very start.
Sugino:
Yes. I mean, with a folding body and two LCDs, I didn’t see how it was possible. But when I gave it a shot, the result was the Nintendo DS Lite9 system.

9Nintendo DS Lite: A handheld game system released in Japan in March 2006. It features a thinner, lighter body than the original Nintendo DS model, and screen brightness can be adjusted to four different levels.
Everyone:
(laughs)
Sugino:
When you changed your approach and got rid of all gaps, Nintendo DS Lite was born. I think that experience can be seen in Nintendo 3DS.
Iwata:
The first thing (Nobuo) Nagai-san10, who’s in charge at the Uji plant, said to me when he looked over the designs for Nintendo 3DS before mass production began was “This time it’s fully packed right from the start.”

10Nobuo Nagai: Senior Managing Director and Representative Director, Nintendo Co., Ltd. General Manager, Manufacturing Division.
Sugino:
Oh, really? (laughs) But he was right. That’s why we don’t have any short-term plans for creating a more compact version of Nintendo 3DS like we did with Nintendo DS Lite. (laughs)
Iwata:
Yes. (laughs) When making Nintendo 3DS, we used all our tricks for Nintendo DS Lite - and more - for cutting down on size right from the start.

Was there a leak at a nearby nitrous oxide plant when that interview was taking place? Smilie

Egotism is the anesthetic given by a kindly nature to relieve the pain of being a damned fool. - Bellamy Brooks

What are you trying to get across Echoes?

We already know there's no "short-term" plans for a new model 3DS. Some people are willing to wait two years or more for a new one though.

We aren't all consumer whores. Smilie

( Edited 07.02.2011 22:51 by Marzy )

My problem is the price. They could bring out a re-design this xmas and I'll still not get one. Once I see it for a reasonable price (no matter how long it takes), then I'll get one.

Even if the 3DS has been designed with no redesigns in mind, I still think there will be one. It doesn't even have to improve much to be classed as an upgrade. Something similar like the PSP where the differences between the 2000 and 3000 models were very small. Nintendo will replace the current model with one that has a better battery etc.

Ignore this post.

( Edited 10.02.2011 22:27 by Marzy )

Yeah the topic has kind of derailed slightly. Smilie

Partly my fault. Smilie Time to get back to normality! Smilie

Wasn't really trying to prove anything, was just a piece that I found, I didn't know that they weren't planning any 'Short Term' 3DS upgrades myself. The fact that there will be an upgrade is inevitable, its Nintendo.

I wasn't trying to say "BUY IT NOA!" Marzy, you have your own reasons for waiting etc Smilie (BTW when you post things your new avatar makes you look uber serious/aggressive somehow....)

I'm getting one at launch (Yes a consumer whore as you so rightly put it) but not for the pure fact that I don't care if its going to get revised, moreso that I've never had a console at launch before, and now I have my own money (well, the governments Smilie )I plan to get it at launch instead of at the end of its lifecycle (gamecube, GBA (SP came out a month later grr)) so that I can see the console grow from its initial outings and see what developers produce for it.

The launch period (3 months +) has some titles that I'm really looking forward to, namely; DoA, Resident Evil (both of them), Lylat Wars (never played the original), Ocarina of Time (I still need to complete it) Animal Crossing (skipped the Wii one, AC games are always much better on hand-held IMO due to the nature of the game), Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid 3 (no PS2, so new experience, haven't played a MGS since the PSone days). That's more than enough to be getting on with until the devs etc get used to the platform and the gimmick is stopped being exploited so readily as the DS was at launch. (Pokemon Dash, lol)

I just got back from the Nintendo 3DS event in London, it was very awesome indeed. Had a go Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and The Legend of Zelda!!!

First thoughts of the console, it is indeed slim, not sure about the weight cause they had that thing stuck to the back of it.

3D effects work well on some games and not as much on others, though it will take time to get used. The AR game used the 3D effect the most and was really impressed by it, moving the 3DS around while looking at the card was really cool, can't wait to see more of that.

Finally, the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, the game just felt more fluid and smooth. I can clearly say the game has been redone from the animations, models, textures and the environments, even the Deku has had a makeover Smilie. Running around kokiri forest with those orb like things passing you by with the 3D effect looks amazing.

Sounds brilliant Irfy! Smilie

Glad I pre-ordered one, can't wait to have a go on one myself. Sounds like Zelda has shaped up nicely compared to the controversy that the forumers have conjoured up (Me included I might add).

I don't like Yugioh games, but I'm hoping to hell that they make one for the 3DS with the AR mode, I would be all over that like butter, jam and peanut butter on bread.

Echoes221 said:
Sounds brilliant Irfy! Smilie

Glad I pre-ordered one, can't wait to have a go on one myself. Sounds like Zelda has shaped up nicely compared to the controversy that the forumers have conjoured up (Me included I might add).

I don't like Yugioh games, but I'm hoping to hell that they make one for the 3DS with the AR mode, I would be all over that like butter, jam and peanut butter on bread.

The AR games are incredible, took me by surprise, moving the 3DS Camera around and looking at the game from different views is just insane.

How much did you pre-order yours, I pre-orderd mine for �£197.

�£199 from Shopto.net, With any luck I'll get it early from them, that would be awesome Smilie

Geoff with Reggie, 3DS interview.

Echoes221 said:
��£199 from Shopto.net, With any luck I'll get it early from them, that would be awesome Smilie

Getting it a day early would be nice Smilie

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

Marzy said:
Geoff with Reggie, 3DS interview.

Those two really hate each other. Smilie

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

Here's the apparent UK launch line up http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287717/news/nintendo-3ds-uk-launch-line-up-confirmed/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

No Dead or Alive?! Blasphemy!!!
Well if that's true then I guess it ain't so bad. At least there's one game I want on that list Smilie

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

MegaMan Legends 3 Aero 3D (no not crazy pop out 3D just a model you can rotate) Model

http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman/dash3/en/3d/model1.html

Just preordered my 3DS which came with a free copy of Ghost Recon Shadow Wars for just $265 AUS!!! (about �£165ish). I am so happy, that is extremely good value considering that the rrp is at $350 AUS. I told myself I would not get one until a Ocarina of Time was released but oh wells. Temptation was TOO STRONG. Smilie

mOojc said:
Just preordered my 3DS which came with a free copy of Ghost Recon Shadow Wars for just $265 AUS!!! (about ��£165ish). I am so happy, that is extremely good value considering that the rrp is at $350 AUS. I told myself I would not get one until a Ocarina of Time was released but oh wells. Temptation was TOO STRONG. Smilie
�£165? O_O Awesome.
I preordered mine from GAME. It's �£220 but eh, I have the money and I get wary about preordering consoles online. xD At least I'll know I have it and won't have to worry about it.

For some reason Amazon.de still has it at 250€ while Amazon.fr already has it at 225€. That's more than half a game less. Smilie I'd be really pissed if Amazon.de kept it at 250€ at this point...There are actually a lot of people e-mailing them right now to get the price down. Smilie Hopefully that'll work, though I doubt it as pre-orders sell out rapidly even with the price the way it currently is.

Bring Alpha and Omega, to the 3DS. I like that movie, it's so cute, and there's adorable moments. Smilie

I can't wait till 3DS comes out. hurry more and more, about 3D I want to see, how the Conduit will look in 3D, and even be able to walk by something, and have the product pop out at you.

I think the steel diver looks fun, I saw the video or picture, where you use the Gyroscope, for the one thing the captain will look through.

I think it's pretty sad, that people only take out the bad moments, in a interview. i really just saw a fair-Fan of something having fun with someone in the company. I didn't see any signs of annoyance nor hatred/

( Edited 11.02.2011 17:10 by Wolvesgod )

When all is bad don't look for a easy way out. Because you wont know what to do once your out

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Sandy Wilson

There are 1 members online at the moment.