3DS Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

What do you expect to pay, what games do you intend to buy at launch, and what are your overall thoughts on the new machine so far?

What GB games do you hope to see available on the 3DS's download service?. Are you tempted to re-buy classic GB games displayed with subtle 3D effect, or will you just be happy if they release games you never got the chance to play?

I can well imagine many kids are going to ask mom & dad to hold onto their xmas money in order to get a 3DS in March. It's going to be a dull Christmas for some kids, as always, I blame Nintendo.

3DS Japanese Overview Trailer

-FAQ Removed for Speed-

( Edited 21.02.2014 00:21 by Azuardo )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

$300 is BS unless it comes bundled with like...3 games.

It requires great courage to look at oneself honestly, and forge one's own path.

I could see Nintendo including some free Nintendo points, as they did with the DSi's launch. Super Mario Land and Link's Awakening 3D will available in the store at launch.

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

It's not confirmed that it will cost that much in the US and elsewhere though is it?

If it does though, yeah it would be nice if it came bundled with a few things. Not sure whether it makes sense for Nintendo to do it, but bundling OoT with the system would be nice. Practically everyone will be getting it either way. But failing that, a few Game Boy games would be nice. Maybe some points for the virtual console thing - is it just Game Boy or is it going to extend to GBA and others?

Anyway I cannot wait to get my hands on this. Little annoyed it's not out this year but ah well.

Anyone else think they need to make the slider the same colour as the base of the unit again?

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

@TheStratMan

I think it's unlikely they will bundle it, retailers may though.

It's Nintendo's intention that the 3D slider stands out. My concern is whether it still "feels cheap", as some E3 reports have claimed. Hopefully it doesn't now - it many have been one of the minor changes from the E3 prototype. There's certainly a change from the contours seen in the E3 prototype...I can't say I'm too happy about the curved lines, they feel old in comparison to the clean lines seen on the DSi and XL. It's a (intentional) step backwards in my eyes.

PR Images

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

Nintendo have issued the following 3DS release list. Those titled under "Spring 2011" are very likely to be launch games, while those that aren't, may still end up launching with the console here in the West.

-JAPANESE 3DS SOFTWARE RELEASE LIST-

SPRING 2011

Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo)
Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo)
Steel Diver (Nintendo)
Zelda Ocarina of Time (Nintendo)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom)
Pro Baseball Spirits (Konami)
Ridge Racer 3D (Namco Bandai)
Samurai Warriors Chronicle (Tecmo Koei)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Level-5)
Shanghai 3D Cube (Sunsoft)
Runabout for Nintendo 3DS (Rocket Company)
Cubic Ninja (AQ Interactive)
Fish On (ASCII Media Works)

SUMMER 2011

Earthpedia (Gakken)

TBA 2011

Kid Icarus (Nintendo)
Medalot for Nintendo 3DS (Rocket Company)

TBA

Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo)
Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
Paper Mario (Nintendo)
Mario Kart (Nintendo)
Chocobo Racing 3D (Square Enix)
Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom)
Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom)
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami)
Dead or Alive Dimensions (Tecmo Koei)

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

Resident Evil: Revelations

Image for
Image for
Image for
Image for
Image for

Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D

Image for
Image for
Image for
Image for
Image for

Mario Kart 3D

Image for

Image for

Image for

Nintendogs +Cats

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Image for
Image for
Image for

Image for
Image for
Image for

Image for
Image for
Image for

Image for
Image for

Pilotwings Resort

Image for
Image for
Image for

Image for
Image for
Image for

Image for
Image for

Starfox 64 /Lylat Wars - 3D

Image for
Image for
Image for

Image for

Steel Diver (Miyamoto's favourite)

Image for
Image for
Image for

Image for
Image for

( Edited 01.10.2010 23:36 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

good games and that all it need and my god have it got good games and im sure it will come down in cost, we all know so really it how long you are willing to wait

for me i think dayone i dont care i want this bad boy

( Edited 01.10.2010 08:08 by Jump_button )

Yeah I imported a DS on its US launch with a much weaker launch line-up. Though I do remember the actual launch set-up was missing a few very significant titles that were initially implied to be launch titles. They were all delayed for a few months - so beware of that, the launch line-up now could get worse - and it's probably not going to get better. Smilie

If this is the launch line up, I'll definitely buy it straight away seeing as I caved to the DS with much less interesting stuff going on!

( Edited 01.10.2010 08:20 by TheStratMan )

TheStratMan said:
Yeah I imported a DS on its US launch with a much weaker launch line-up. Though I do remember the actual launch set-up was missing a few very significant titles that were initially implied to be launch titles. They were all delayed for a few months - so beware of that, the launch line-up now could get worse - and it's probably not going to get better. Smilie

If this is the launch line up, I'll definitely buy it straight away seeing as I caved to the DS with much less interesting stuff going on!

well seeing as the 3DS have been delayed itself and dont think we have alot to worry about

http://www.cubed3.com/news/14700

Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition's, optional Over the Shoulder Combat View:

Image for

( Edited 01.10.2010 10:51 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

The launch line up for Japan is actually quite weak. It seems like most of the games worth owning are remakes.

I'll be getting the blue one. However looking at it I don't really like the placement of the D-Pad. It's much too low D:

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

I can't remember. Will the 3DS play old DS games?

I'll definitely be getting it as soon as I can and have seen around twenty games that I'm already looking forward to coming out for it.

I haven't heard anything about how they'll be dealing with online play. I hope they're not continuing with friend codes.

SuperLink said:
The launch line up for Japan is actually quite weak. It seems like most of the games worth owning are remakes.

I'll be getting the blue one. However looking at it I don't really like the placement of the D-Pad. It's much too low D:

Yea, it definitely is. It was always destined to be weaker than ours when many of these are still deep in development.

Quality

Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo)
Steel Diver (Nintendo)
Zelda Ocarina of Time (Nintendo)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom)
Pro Baseball Spirits (Konami) (great series - very fun)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Level-5)
Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo)

Western Launch Hopefuls (these could all be added to the list above for the Western launch)

Kid Icarus (Nintendo) - very likely (March 25th)
Paper Mario (Nintendo) - very likely (March 25th)

Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo) - hard to say, it could release at launch split by region, or released separately in the Summer.

The concern for Nintendo as far as Starfox 3D is releasing 3 flight based games at launch. But they may choose to release it anyway, they've already said they want to make a lasting impact (among the audience and developers), and what better way than to have a highly impressive launch line-up. They also know that Starfox is an evergreen title, one that will easily make it's money no matter what.

(Ocarina, Nintendogs +Cats and Animal Crossing will become evergreens on this platform)

Kid Icarus releasing in both regions is a given, but I suspect Starfox and Paper Mario will be split by region, with the US getting the Starfox while we get Paper Mario. Alternatively, Nintendo may choose to release Paper Mario in both regions and push Starfox to May/June 2011.

Muck

Ridge Racer 3D (Namco Bandai)
Samurai Warriors Chronicle (Tecmo Koei)
Shanghai 3D Cube (Sunsoft)
Runabout for Nintendo 3DS (Rocket Company)
Fish On (ASCII Media Works)

Edit:

Removed Cubic Ninja from "Muck" - it's actually a very cool looking puzzle platformer. I'll post images later.

An action puzzler which gives you control of a cube-shaped ninja, who's attempting to escape a haunted mansion. You control the action by tilting the 3DS system. The game also includes a mansion editor - you can create your own trap filled mansions and exchange them with other players.

Image for

Image for

Image for

( Edited 01.10.2010 18:20 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Trepe said:
I can't remember. Will the 3DS play old DS games?

I'll definitely be getting it as soon as I can and have seen around twenty games that I'm already looking forward to coming out for it.

I haven't heard anything about how they'll be dealing with online play. I hope they're not continuing with friend codes.

It sure can, although DS games won't display in 3D. DS games with DSi exclusive features (not many) will run fine.

Nobody has, what is known is that we'll all have profile pages - an account which allows users to move DSiWare game they've bought over onto the 3DS.

In answer to your question - I expect things will have been made simpler now that we have profiles. Wii & Friend Code exchange may have been made simpler as a result also.

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

I'm a little worried about the battery life. One of the strong selling points of Nintendo handhelds over others has always been good battery life. But the big jump in performance and the statement that-

"3DS will be charged more frequently than the current DS systems".

**Nintendo is including the charge-cradle with all systems because of this**

- makes me a little worried. One of the things that puts me off playing on my PSP is the terrible battery life. I don't want to have to keep charging the damn thing after every three or four hours of gameplay. That would just put me off using it.

( Edited 01.10.2010 17:57 by Trepe )

Trepe said:
I'm a little worried about the battery life. One of the strong selling points of Nintendo handhelds over others has always been good battery life. But the big jump in performance and the statement that-

- makes me a little worried. One of the things that puts me off playing on my PSP is the terrible battery life. I don't want to have to keep charging the damn thing after every three or four hours of gameplay. That would just put me off using it.

Well this is significant step up from the DS in terms of specs, and you are getting a charge-cradle for your money. You'll just have to get into a habit of charging when not in use.

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Squidboy said:
Trepe said:

Well this is significant step up from the DS in terms of specs, and you are getting a charge-cradle for your money. You'll just have to get into a habit of charging when not in use.

I don't think that's good enough to be honest. It may seem like a small thing, but it can have a big impact on a machines sales. I certainly would never take it anywhere if the battery performance wasn't very good and I would quickly get bored of playing on it if I knew I was gonna have to keep stopping to charge it or keep it plugged in when I play it.

Of cause this is all conjecture at the moment because we don't really have an idea of the battery life. But I have my concerns at the mo'.

( Edited 01.10.2010 18:24 by Trepe )

I'm a little worried about the battery life too Trepe. But then again, the system isn't using any UMD-type system like the PSP, and if I'm not mistaken that was pretty much the main reason battery life sucked on the PSP. So although this packs a bigger punch, I would guess that it'll last longer than the PSP's 3/4 hours. I would hope for at least 5 and a half.

Also, by this point, I think we have to accept that battery life is probably one of the various things Nintendo plan to significantly improve in later versions of the 3DS. Maybe back when they were developing the first GBA - they were trying to make it perfect first time round (though arguably if that was true there would definitely have been a back-light) but that is definitely no longer the case.

And you know what sucks? I will probably buy it at launch, then buy the next model when it comes out.

@ Trepe (quote's not working..)

It's not trivial, I know first hand it makes a difference to your playing habits. But I do think comparing the PSP's battery life to the 3DS is bad comparison to make.

If I stared at a dead PSP, a dead DS or 3DS, I know which one I would be eager to charge up

A lot will depend on the nature of your usage. If your running low turning off certain features in addition to 3D will reduce the energy draw.

@TheStratMan

Agree on your second point, that's a certainty once the price for high capacity mobile batteries lessen.

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

I'm not really comparing it to the PSP. I'm just using the PSP as an example of bad battery life and how I never play on it because of that. The statement Nintendo made about it needing more frequent charging scared me a little.

Battery technology is improving all the time and the 3DS doesn't have any moving parts. So here hoping it's not too bad . Smilie

I'm confident Nintendo have found a decent level of performance with the battery they are using Smilie

On the subject of 3DS software prices, CEO Satoru Iwata had this to say:

"We don't believe that the world is in a state where high priced software will sell well, so we don't believe it will be in a price range too far off from current DS software."

On the subject of 3DS-Wii connectivity, Iwata had this to say:

"We believe that, naturally, instant communication between the 3DS and a console in your home will become one topic in the future, but today I cannot talk about specifics regarding the kinds of things you can do in terms of connectivity between a 3DS and console."

"We'll surely be thinking about connectivity with consoles as well."

( Edited 01.10.2010 21:35 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744
bla (guest) 02.10.2010#21

you forget "Metal Gear 3D"

I'm hoping the battery life for the 3ds will be pretty good but then again I didn't mind the battery life for psp so I'll be happy.

New screens and info on Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D
http://www.dpadnews.com/?p=1986
http://www.dpadnews.com/?p=1948

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

LKR000 said:
I'm hoping the battery life for the 3ds will be pretty good but then again I didn't mind the battery life for psp so I'll be happy.

New screens and info on Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D
http://www.dpadnews.com/?p=1986
http://www.dpadnews.com/?p=1948

I am sure that the battery life woulod have to be a great improvement for the other DS's, because iof the 3D technology. I can see that it would take a lot of battery power to run it, so I am guessing Nintendo will make it last longer than the others. I will be rather pissed if it is low battery life.

SuperYoshi6 PSN name
3DS friend code 2878-9581-8999

IGN's comparison, Old Vs New: shows the difference between the games that are being ported/remade for the 3DS.

It's actually quite impressive, until you get to Ridge Racer that is...

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Stulaw said:
IGN's comparison, Old Vs New: shows the difference between the games that are being ported/remade for the 3DS.

It's actually quite impressive, until you get to Ridge Racer that is...

Nice, some of these games look REALLY impressive. Especially the Capcom-developed ones. They look epic.

( Edited 02.10.2010 00:17 by Mush123 )

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.