3DS Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 25.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Squidboy (guest) 03.09.2011#1276

The 3DS version of VectorRacing looks pretty good. In the absence of F-Zero, it may prove very popular on the eShop. I hope it's updated from the iPhone version.

Squidboy (guest) said:
@jb

I've lost the password and e-mail address associated with that account, and the password of my old account. I let some of my mail accounts die when I was ill.

I'll create a new account soon, possibly with an old username, if you're able to delete the old one. Perhaps you can refill my status to what it once was after a new profile has been created.

I have tickets to the Zelda concert in London this October, I was planning to do a report for GoNintendo, although it would be better posted here as they'll likely feature it anyway.

I'll be meeting the conductor and orchestra after as part of my ticket, but a "press pass" would really help in order to obtain a formal interview.

I have no idea what Nintendo UK's plans are. Will Nintendo officially be attending, will they be issueing press tickets and offer interview opportunities?. Also, will any 25th anniversary goodies be on sale to the public in the foyer? I know I'll be getting some stuff free, but what about everyone else?. I'd like to buy a load of stuff for friends, and eBay.

I've been meaning to email their PR, because to date they've given no indication of what their plans are. Which I do find suprising for such a momentous ocassion.

Ah right - if you could email me jb(at)cubed3.com we can sort something out. We do have press access/invitation going, so maybe it's something we can sort out perhaps!

Thanks!
J

( Edited 06.09.2011 11:48 by jb )

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

I'm actually hanging out for Harvest moon tale of two towns at the moment. I've also noticed a few references to fantasy life and am hoping that it will actually get a release in western society..

Squidboy (guest) 06.09.2011#1279

**** RUMOUR ****

Monster Hunter Tri G (100% sure this is true)

Mach Rider Unchained (woo!, if true)

Baten Kaitos (3): Silence of a Mechanised Son (99% sure this is true)

Squidboy (guest) 07.09.2011#1280

Monster Hunter Tri G CONFIRMED

Bolt-On Analogue Confirmed

(I think it looks disgusting - the housing cradle is lob sided, and the C pad is smaller than the original!. I sincerely hope this device is Capcom's, and not Nintendo made.

@ Jb, will do on Thursday.

I'm yet to play a monster hunter game, it looks interesting though. I hope the attachment cradle is only for monster hunter, it would be annoying to have to purchase an extra attachment just to play certain games.

Our member of the week

Squidboy (guest) said:
**** RUMOUR ****

Monster Hunter Tri G (100% sure this is true)

Mach Rider Unchained (woo!, if true)

Baten Kaitos (3): Silence of a Mechanised Son (99% sure this is true)

Saw this yesterday as well Smilie. I don't care too much for Mach Rider, since I got the NES one and wasn't a big fan of it (though a new one today would certainly play much better, and remains to be seen in action Smilie ).

But Baten Kaitos ??? Now that would be fantastic Smilie.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer
Squidboy (guest) 07.09.2011#1283

@Kafei

A Monolith rep (don't know which one off the top of my head) said the something along the lines of (search Google): "were making a third game in a RPG franchise for 3DS", very recently.

It's a given, there's nothing else it could be unless they're working on another companies franchise.

Mach Rider Unchained will do well in the absence of a new Road Rash game (EA cancelled / held back an upcoming game). It's also a decent filler while we wait for F-Zero.

Ace Combat 3D looks very cool, there are new screens on Gamekyo. It's easy to imagine how impressive it will look in 3D, but the HUGE question is, will it have Online MP / Local MP / and Single Cart Vs?... I'm not hopeful.

On a final note, Nintendo need to show something else of their own in addition to Mach Rider, and it needs to be huge. Just one extra title will suffice.

News of the new attachment isn't good news to prospective 3DS buyers in the West, they will start to wonder if it's worth waiting for a newly designed 3DS, and I don't blame them.

Calling it: New 3DS model will arrive in late 2012.

Websites seem to be discarding the rumour of the new 3DS model already. I'm not sure why, when all the rumours so far have been true. My bet is, Nintendo won't want that information out and they'll want to show it at the conference next week.

Unless they're planning to release the revision before Christmas, no chance. It would destroy 3DS holiday sales. A DSlite scenario (reveal in march. release in summer) is far more likely.

A revision of the 3DS makes total sense in the future now, but only IF the cradle-thinga-ma-bob sells well and has good games. Monster Hunter 3G will be a killer app for Japan... Maybe a new shooter for the West?
And heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they actually called it the "3DS Lite" or the "3DS Plus".

I'm not sure what Nintendo should do anymore... They certainly aren't doing "bad" by any means. The Wii sold truck loads and the 3DS is selling ok now. I guess if I could ask them to do anything it would be to up the social aspects of the system. Pokemon has the most potential in that regard and I'd love to see the C-gear feature that's in Black and White implemented further. That is, have it evolve into a X-box live/PSN of its own. Just let it show you who else is playing and such. They even have that website thing now you can link your game to and that's a step in the right direction. Its almost akin to CoD stat tracking.

Which all makes me think, there are a lot of places on the net where people are clamoring for a Pokemon mmo and while its a good idea, I'd love for future iterations to do what the new DQ X is going to do. Have people drop in and out when they want. What would be cool is if they made a single player mode where you could go through the game normally, but then have a co-op mode where everything then becomes a double or triple battle. They already have the voice chat in place so it would be easy to strategize with each other and it would really add to the gameplay. A co-op battle tower/subway would be so much better with a friend. Oh, and Implement street pass for automatic trades. Kids would be dragging these handhelds to school again and no adult would say a word because they'd have them all in there backpacks just trading away.

Wow. Sorry for the length. And all I wanted to do was comment on the 3DS...

I played Ace Combat 3D at a Namco Bandai event last month, it wasn't great and the pace and framerate was slow. Not sure if it's because of it still being in development though.

It definitely wouldn't be called the "lite" if there is a revision of the 3DS, the thing's tiny as it is (it's almost exactly the same size as the DS Lite), so unless it loses weight, it ain't gonna be light.

I like your Idea of expanding the C-gear Duggler, I think they could easily do that starting with Pokemon Grey on the 3DS or something, checking if friends are online and maybe using the Xtranciever to call them out of game or something. Maybe Nintendo's whole online system should be the C-Gear in that way (although some parents would probably complain).

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

I'm thinking of selling my 3DS.I haven't touched the system in months, the games coming out are a long way off. I really regret being an early adopter and probably won't do again. It may not be indefinitely, something tells me that they will either remodel it in the near future, or discontinue it, its not doing well enough for developers to take a real interest in it. The games that are coming out for it don't really interest me, a re-hashed Mario Kart, luigi's mansion and Mario would be fun but again, nothing we haven't seen before. The only decent looking one is Kid Icarus. I think I'll sell, like I should of done a couple of months ago.

Echoes221 said:
I'm thinking of selling my 3DS.I haven't touched the system in months, the games coming out are a long way off. I really regret being an early adopter and probably won't do again. It may not be indefinitely, something tells me that they will either remodel it in the near future, or discontinue it, its not doing well enough for developers to take a real interest in it. The games that are coming out for it don't really interest me, a re-hashed Mario Kart, luigi's mansion and Mario would be fun but again, nothing we haven't seen before. The only decent looking one is Kid Icarus. I think I'll sell, like I should of done a couple of months ago.

Well I have to admit, until recently I was pretty on/off whether to get a 3DS sometime this year, now it's a definite no. I agree, not enough decent games currently, what's on the horizon isn't anything new and of course - a second iteration with dual slide pads looks like a certainty. Invest now I will not.

But I do think give it a year, a new sleeker model and a more promising batch of third-party games (plus a proper wave of first party titles, your marios, zeldas, metroids, smash bros and what not) - and it'll be a popular system again.

Though sometimes I do wonder, given no one really seems to care that much about 3D, whether the 3DS could be to the PS Vita as the Dreamcast was to the PS2: rushed too early out the traps, drastically inferior in hardware, not embraced by third-party developers - landing it in an early grave, like you mention.

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

I know exactly what you mean. I can easily live without the upcoming 3DS games. I only got one when it dropped to £115 because I thought it wouldn't go that low again in a long time, so thought it best to get it while it was cheap. Got no games with it so just play DS ones. I might get Mario Kart when it comes simply because of online, and I loved MKWii online, but still, no biggie if I don't. Only other game out now that interests me is DOA, but only because I haven't really played the series since the Dreamcast's DOA2.

Soundworks, good comparison with Dreamcast. It's not looking brilliant right now, and looks like it will be well over a year before we see big new titles that will do the system good, like the main series you mentioned. It's gonna be an interesting couple of years for 3DS.

Am I the only one who's content with his 3DS? I don't really feel fucked around at all, I think the 3DS is great and things can only get better. Still got a bunch of titles I'm looking forward too, plus my 10 free GBA games.

Fuck the dual-analogue 3DS for now. I'm just waiting for more awesome games. Smilie I'm perfectly happy with SF64 3D and OoT3D, both great ports/remakes and probablly the best versions of those games I have played.. plus they're portable, which is good.

Yes, maybe Nintendo has made some mistakes, but everyone makes mistakes and Nintendo are making up for them, imo.

Maybe I am just some dumb, stupid Nintendo fan, that will always support them, even when things are looking glum. Let me just say this one thing though, when things are looking glum for me, a Nintendo-developed game never fails to brighten up my day and that is how it has always been.

Sometimes I do stop and think "Am I stupid for continually supporting this company?" but then I remembered how well they treat their customers, even when they do fuck us over.

I'll stop this post before I make myself sound even more stupid than I already have.

Echoes said:

As of launch, the 3DS had first party titles Pilot Wings: Resort, Nintendogs, and Steel Diver. Eventually getting Ocarina of Time. It also has about a half dozen little games built in. Plus we got the Pokedex 3D for free and those 20 games for early adopters. The third party titles weren't bad either, with DOA: Dimensions and Street Fighters IV eventually joining the fray.

Compare that to the original DS. We had one first party title, Mario 64 DS and a dozen oddball third party games nobody remembers. We had Pictochat built in so you could chat (with pictures!) to the person across the room. Those who adopted very early got a Metriod Prime Hunters demo.

All in all, the 3DS launch wasn't crap your pants amazing, but compared to the Winter of 2004 its head and shoulders above the original DS launch.

This may be nerd blasphemy, but, like Mush, I don't get why people are so upset. I personally think we're all spoiled rotten. I hate to be the one on the soap box, but if you aren't happy with your 3DS now go hang out with friends or read a bloody book. You know, stuff you do in your spare time between console releases like we all probably did when we were younger. There is a whole slew of games in the works for the 3DS. Even ones we don't know about. Just give it time. Somebody somewhere is working on the next big thing.

P.S. Mush, you don't sound stupid.

( Edited 19.09.2011 05:04 by Duggler657 )

Add me to the crowd that don't understand what 3DS owners are complaining about. You've got everything Duggler mentioned, plus that little thing of the 3DS being able to play just about every DS game on the shelf! Yes, we buy new hardware to play new games, but older ones don't suddenly become crap just because there's new stuff out!

And this is the DS library I'm talking about. Y'know, one of the most diverse and quality-packed libraries? I'm actually thankful that the 3DS hasn't come storming out of the gate, I've been able to catch up on a lot because of it. Smilie

If it wasn't for DS games, it'd be in a worse situation. I think for me it's not so appealing because the stuff out or coming is stuff I've played before. Obv I can't complain really because I wasn't an early adopter, I bought mine for the time good games do come. But I do get why people feel a bit aggrieved. Good stuff will come eventually though.

I couldn't agree more with Mush, Duggler and Phoenixus. I sometimes honestly wonder just what some people are expecting. They want new, innovative and original games with a ton of content and whatnot instantly, while disregarding almost all sequels to existing franchises that don't change enough make them seem new. It's probably a surprise to some but those "new, innovative and original" games don't make themselves and take a good amount of time to develop. In comparison, sequels that improve and add to an existing, loved formula that works take much less time and resources to make while also being much less of a risk to the developers/publishers. They always scream for new stuff just for the sake of it being new but when developers give us just that, it's usually disregarded as well for being too different. A recent example of this phenomenon would be Monster Hunter, a franchise that's regularly bashed for not changing at all between sequels. I honestly wasn't even surprised anymore when I saw the amount of negative responses to the Monster Hunter 4 trailer. It was largely them crying about the gameplay changes (even though it was just a teaser and we have no details whatsoever) and wanting the "same, old thing" but with new content back. No surprise that developers hate taking risks more than ever.

With all that said, I'm not even going to start with all the hate, crying and complaining over every little thing I see all over each and every gaming site. I swear, some gamers are the most spoilt beings I've ever seen. No wonder nobody takes this industry seriously.

( Edited 19.09.2011 09:15 by SirLink )

I bought Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge on the VC. I like it, but it's only for Mega Man afficionados really - it's very light on content.

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

To a certain extent, I’m just playing devil’s advocate now because like I said, until recently I was considering investing in a 3DS myself. But since when were Pilotwings Resort, Steel Driver and Nintendogs considered great first party games? Two feel like (yes I’ve played them all) glorified tech demos, and the latter I couldn’t really see any difference from previous iterations. As it stands, Ocarina of Time is the only quality first party game that I could walk into a game store and buy.

And that’s probably my biggest gripe with the system at the moment. Lack of quality, and what is considered quality, often is a remake, a virtual console game. And when a system has to rely on a back catalogue of games from the system before it, that in my opinion, is a good indication that all is not well.

Also this. All I see when I look at this is Nintendo giving all early adopters a giant middle finger:

Image for

I fail to see how any quantity of NES games, that could just as easily be emulated on my phone for free, make up for this. What is Nintendo's recent obsession with hulking as much plastic into their products? Especially with the Wii, all of those crappy add-ons, they all look like toys, and so does this.

Edit: And while I'm on the subject of the slide-pad add-on, does anyone else think that using the face buttons with that is going be extremely uncomfortable?

( Edited 19.09.2011 11:39 by Soundworks )

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

I'd like to join the 3DS positivity bandwagon, simply because the DS and PSP were utter shit for a good year or two before being considered amazing handhelds right? And the 3DS although launched without tons of promised features already has some good strong (remade) games with stuff like Mario Kart hitting before the end of the year. It really seems like a repeat of things that every new handheld goes through.. launched with ergonomic issues and only a handful of remakes to keep you going.

In a couple of years it'll be a beast.

Onto a slightly different topic, I'm a bit out of date with 3DS stuff atm (but I completely freaked out at the newest Kingdom Hearts info ok Neku and also a 999 sequel yes)
But uh when do we get GBA games :3 does anyone know yet?

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

SuperLink said:
But uh when do we get GBA games :3 does anyone know yet?

This information has not yet been released, but if you download the Ambassador Certificate and allow it to send you notifications to your 3DS, you will be notified as to when the games will be available and the complete list of games will also be sent to you.

Mush123 said:

This information has not yet been released, but if you download the Ambassador Certificate and allow it to send you notifications to your 3DS, you will be notified as to when the games will be available and the complete list of games will also be sent to you.

Aw ok I've done that. I guess we just wait.. I'm really excited for them especially since I heard one of them might be Golden Sun.

..Even tho I already have that.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
juzzy

There are 1 members online at the moment.