3DS Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

The last 3DS Firmware Update seems to be improving the performance of some games:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538221

Our member of the week

Doesn't seem the be the case with Castlevania at least. The only other one I won, off the top of my head, which had framerate issues was Metal Gear Solid 3D. I might check that one later tonight.

Are we talking about the 5.1.0-11 update though, or yet another new one?

( Edited 11.04.2013 14:57 by RudyC3 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Yeah, that update. It was widely reported that the Mii Plaza was far less jittery after the update, but seems it can help cartridge games too. I just tried out Sonic Generations, and I could be mistaken but the framerate does look to be more stable during more intense sections.

Luigi Mansion 2 feels smoother.

Ni No Kuni 3DS

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Ni+no+Kuni/news.asp?c=50047

( Edited 11.04.2013 21:51 by Linkyshinks )

Our member of the week

Linkyshinks said:
Ni No Kuni 3DS

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Ni+no+Kuni/news.asp?c=50047

I'd rather like it if they finally released the DS game outside Japan. Now that the franchise proved itself over here, I don't see why they shouldn't.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

If they do decide to bring it over, I'd like a full digital version of the magic book. The bump in memory should make that possible.

Hot damn C3ers, more games are on eShop sale this week (starting Thursday as usual)! I know it's only been in the recent half a year that Nintendo have really done sales (especially this regularly), but it's brilliant and I hope they never stop! They're going to make a lot of fans if they keep it up.

Guild01 games are on sale, so both Liberation Maiden and Crimson Shroud are now under £5​ for this week. Considering I mentioned in the review that Liberation Maiden's main flaw was that it was too small for its price, this may be a good time to consider getting it. I myself am probably gonna pick it up this week since Rudy's review really made me interested in it!

Last but certainly not least, the incredible Virtue's Last Reward is on eShop for only £20 this week. You may be able to find it cheaper online, but if you can't.. now you can!
Though I would still recommend playing 999 first. Both games are amazing, but even moreso if played in order. I think playing VLR first would kinda ruin 999.

( Edited 15.04.2013 13:02 by SuperLink )

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Majora's Mask 3DS Reveal Tomorrow

AC 3DS XL UK Bound

http://shopto.net/video%20games/3ds/3DSHW49-animal-crossing-limited-edition-console-bundle

( Edited 16.04.2013 22:30 by Linkyshinks )

Linkyshinks said:

Majora's Mask 3DS Reveal Tomorrow

Dude you've gotta stop thinking rumours are fact, you're settin' yourself up for disappointment a lot. Smilie

Speaking of reveals, who's ready for NDirect? I'm expecting at least some Animal Crossing stuff, probably more Mario & Luigi 4 stuff considering Japan is having another Luigi Special at the same time.

Haha, yeah, I was gonna say, I'd really appreciate it if you posted all unconfirmed stuff with "Rumour" next to it in the future, Linkyshinks. I love all the news you share, but there are so many you post up with no source and make it sound like it's fact. There's a few too many fakes you fall gullible to :/

I'm guessing you're mentioning MM3D since some random retailer listed the game on their site right before today's ND. If Nintendo keep true to their word, they did say they wanted to do an original Zelda before MM3D, and I hope they stick to that, because, as much as I love MM, I need a NEW Zelda ASAP.

So... predictions for the ND. I'm guessing Zelda will be shown in some shape or form. Whether it's a new one or they go back on their word and it turns out to be MM3D. Bravely Default localisation confirmation, and more stuff on Mario & Luigi 4, Mario Golf, DKCR3D, and whatever else was announced in the last ND. Hope there's some new announcements, though. Can't think of much that has me interested right now.

I'm seriously hoping for Zelda news of some kind too. Some around the net have pointed out that considering most of the resources are already available, a GREZZO port of MM would take far shorter than an original Zelda and could probably be done alongside it, but if they're doing MM instead of an original Zelda I can't say I'd be happy. Let's just say I hope we see both, or if they do reveal MM I hope the original Zelda isn't far behind.

I'm also hoping for some localisations, Bravery Default is a must, Professor Layton Vs Ace Attorney or Ace Attorney 5 would also be fantastic. I have a slight suspicion we might get one or two new reveals, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I won't be massively disappointed if we get MM first. Like you say, if Grezzo could work on it whilst Zelda 3DS gets done, that's fine. I would just really prefer a new Zelda this year instead of waiting till next year. I hope they add some decent extras to it, too. Maybe a MM Master Quest.

No, Isshi-san's Twitter:

私は答えることができない、私はマスクの後ろに隠れる必要があります

"Hide behind a mask"

Well that's something... At least it's more of a hint than all the previous MM3D rumours in the past.

On another note, I want 2D Metroid. There's really only 2 series I really care the most for from Nintendo - Zelda and Metroid. So one or the other would be awesome.

That is something, I wonder why nowhere has reported that (you should source these things in the first place Smilie. )

I'm pretty afraid that Metroid is all but dead right now considering Other M was seen as a failure on more than one account.. I'm also genuinely scared that they'll never make a 2D Metroid ever again. I'd love one so much if it didn't have Other M's awful character direction.

( Edited 17.04.2013 13:32 by SuperLink )

If anything, Other M should've taught them that fans really just want a true 2D game, preferably with little dialog and voice acting etc. There was plenty wrong with the game, but it should only serve as confirmation that they need to go back to 2D. I mean, what was wrong with Fusion that they haven't since made another? It was more linear and shorter than Super Metroid, but it was damn faithful and so much fun. It's so odd they haven't even attempted a new one since then. But please, no 2.5D.

As someone who adored Fusion and its plot/characterisation, I can't say I hate dialogue being a thing in Metroid games; it just needs to be carefully faithful and not foot-shooting like it was in Other M.. and I'm sure Nintendo are capable of that, Kid Icarus did it brilliantly.

Also, as a game, Other M's 2.5D wasn't awful and was nicely faithful to 2D Metroids, it was far too linear, had an awful story, and the stopping-to-aim stuff was wank, but fundamentally it worked I think. I wouldn't mind seeing another Metroid in that gameplay style so long as they stripped it of everything wrong with it, like you say, Other M should have served to tell Nintendo what it is people really do or don't like about Metroid.

"I can not answer, you need to hide behind the mask I"

(Google Translate)

Haha, yeah, I wasn't going to go in-depth about it (I was typing it up but then deleted), but I have the same thoughts with Other M. Pretty much all you said. The graphics, the style - all enjoyable. But the bad was bad.

And I really liked the plot in Fusion. I do like having more of a plot in games, and it was never really done in Metroid before. It wasn't too much at all - just a few scenes of Samus thinking to herself and speaking to Adam now and again. Then on you go with blasting shit up.

But if they go 2D, I just want them to not go the whole 2.5 route - 3D models on 2D planes, which has been done in all modern side-scrollers these days (New Super Mario Bros, Sonic 4, DKC Returns). I don't mind it, but I miss 2D sprites. When I see things like BlazBlue, WarioLand Dimensions and Rayman Origins, I just want those instead. Keep Metroid in its spritey world for the next 2D game.

( Edited 17.04.2013 13:58 by Azuardo )

Thanks Marz'! The intentional use of the term "mask" is definitely interesting.

@Az Oh yes then in that case I agree, 2.5D visuals is all well and good and I suppose they're easier to do, but Metroid could do so many amazing things by remaining sprite or art-based. A 2D Metroid 5 with HD art-quality sprites is one of my dream games, for like a decade. Dreamy sigh.
Speaking of interesting Metroid stuff, I'm not sure how much of this is true but this video was awesome;

Saw that vid not long ago, and it was a really cool watch. Didn't realise all the Aliens references before, or Samus' name origins!

I thought the Metroid Fusion plot was so cool when I first played it, I only just realised recently that it was so similar to the plot of the fourth Aliens film. Smilie Maybe Other M's plot was so bad because all along, Sakamoto has never actually come up with his own plots but used Alien ones instead! Oh boy.

Ok, I seriously think Majora's Mask is overrated. Its a good game, but Christ, people have been giving it WAY too much praise over the past years.

OOH, SPOOKY THINGS
DEATH
APOCALYPSE
BEN DROWNED

Yeah, its a good game, but extremely overrated.

Mm, I wouldn't say extremely overrated, but definitely at least a bit overrated. I don't like how much importance is given to creepypasta, MM was and still is my favourite game back since it launched, I didn't need some pretentious creepypasta to enjoy it.

Also gear up guys:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Latest-Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-698557.html

It's starting very soon! Smilie

37 minutes long apparently o.o

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Steven M

There are 1 members online at the moment.