Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector compatible with the 3DS?

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 24.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

I'm desperately trying to convince a friend to buy a WLAN router so that we can play DS/Wii/3DS games online together without any problems but she doesn't want to because she has a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector and thinks it would work with the 3DS. If it doesn't, she would buy a cheap WLAN router and all that trouble would be gone. As I don't feel like waiting three weeks to have something confirmed that I'm convinced of right now, I'm trying to think of arguments to convince her that it won't work with the 3DS in advance.

I had one of these for a while too and it's a PoS and not even compatible with anything over Windows XP. She even has to use a different PC to use it but she still won't believe me that the chances of it working with the 3DS are practically zero. If any of you guys, who are probably more experienced than me in that area, could help me out here with some arguments or advice to maybe convince her, I'd be really grateful. Smilie Smilie

I dunno, it should work if all it's doing is sharing the wired connection never used one before though so I can't say.

I have used my macbooks built in wirless adapter to share a connection for my DS when I was at uni so I think any generic usb wifi dongle/laptops built in wifi should do the same trick.

It would probably be best to get a new device simply because the Nintendo dongle is not receiving any support and is stuck on Windows XP though.

Best option as you mentioned would be buying a wireless router, means you don't need to keep the PC on when you use the DS for on-line gaming or whatever.
Which seems to be more important for the 3DS as the little light can tell you friends are online or that DLC is availiable.
That would only happen if you turned on your PC, so your friends 3DS won't be online all the time in her own home Smilie

I can't imagine someone not having a wireless router in 2011! Even if it's only used for wired connections most have it built in anyway.

( Edited 07.03.2011 18:47 by Jimmy2000 )

I've seen a video somewhere of wifi settings for japan, I couldn't see any option to connect to a USB connector. Nintendo discontinued them several years ago and haven't offered any new drivers past vista (which didn't work very well anyway). The Dongle is more hassle than its worth, I think Nintendo also do their own router now powered by buffalo. She would be better off buying a router for cheap, or upgrade her internet and you usually get a free router with that.

Edit: The dongle was due to WEP encryption, everything these days is WPA. Discontinued because the DSi and the DSiXL are compatible with most routers whilst he DSL/phat aren't.

( Edited 07.03.2011 18:42 by Echoes221 )

I couldn't see any option to connect to a USB connector

You don't need an option to connect to USB, the USB connector should simply be broadcasting a SSID like a router, at least thats how mines operated when I used my macs built in wifi adapter.

( Edited 07.03.2011 18:53 by Jimmy2000 )

Thanks for the answers! Smilie Smilie

@Jimmy200: Yeah, I couldn't believe that either since they have like 5 PCs, one being for Facebook only(lol). You would think that they could afford a router too then.Smilie

I haven't used the connector for ages because there's really no point after you get a router but I'm pretty sure that there was an option to connect with the USB connector, which I had to use.

I forgot about the features of the 3DS, so those will certainly convince her. Smilie I think the argument that you're pretty much stuck in the past using that PoS is solid as well.

Jimmy2000 said:
I couldn't see any option to connect to a USB connector

You don't need an option to connect to USB, the USB connector should simply be broadcasting a SSID like a router, at least thats how mines operated when I used my macs built in wifi adapter.

Nope, not for the Nintendo USB connector, it has a specific option to connect to one, it won't connect otherwise. Have a look at the Wifi settings Smilie

Nope, not for the Nintendo USB connector, it has a specific option to connect to one, it won't connect otherwise. Have a look at the Wifi settings Smilie

Thats shit, may as well get a standerd USB wifi adapter so you can connect other devices to it as well.
Oh well, suppose it doesn't really matter i'm sure not many people are stuck using these weird methods these days. Smilie

one being for Facebook only(lol)

What.The.Hell. Smilie

I do remember trying to convince my Dad back in 2004 to get a wirless router and wireless card for my laptop.
I finally remember him caving in and my parents got me a router and a PCI wifi card for my birthday (geekiest birthday present ever?)
His main concern was that I wouldn't be able to set up, but I showed him! (after 4 hours messing around with settings and not knowing wtf I was doing).
These days though it's such a piece of piss to set up routers with the install CD. (it was back then but I think I did something back to front and messed it up -_- so had to restart, plus I was going in blind!)

I learned a lot about routers in the process though now though, and everyone is at my mercy as I can shut of the router remotely muhahahah.

( Edited 07.03.2011 20:39 by Jimmy2000 )

Yeah, that seems to be a problem too. She's concerned about having to set it up. I mean, come on? You plug those cables in, put in the install CD and you're practically done. I had no clue wtf I was doing when I set up mine 2 years ago too but I had no problems at all. If all else fails, you still have the damn manual with step-by-step instructions.

I managed to talk her out of that just now by saying how easy it is and quoting some reports from people who had no clue whatsoever and made it. Too bad that the setup they have at her home is some freaking mess that I can't even imagine. They have their modem on a wall or something with like all cables going into that modem and the PC that's next to that isn't her's and her mum says no because she thinks that it affects the other PCs negatively and all kind of weird stuff. Yeah, she didn't even know what WLAN was before that so go figure. It's REALLY hard to convince them of the opposite even if it's the absolute truth.

I really have no idea how I'm going to do this. Smilie She said that she might get one once she gets an online game for the 3DS which is ridiculous. Online is like one of the main features of the 3DS and she's totally isolating herself from that part of the console by not wanting to upgrade, if you can even call it that. This just sucks....

@Jimmy2000: Do you think that a normal USB Wifi adapter would be a viable, or at least acceptable alternative for online with the 3DS? Since you know much more than me in that area. Smilie

If you are so concerned with playing with your friend online then why don't you buy them a new router as a gift and set it for them?

Birdo Is A Tranny said:
If you are so concerned with playing with your friend online then why don't you buy them a new router as a gift and set it for them?

I would if I could but she lives in Germany and I live in Austria, so it's a pretty stupid situation. If I could just stop by her house with a router and set it up for her, this whole topic probably wouldn't exist in the first place.Smilie

I think a usb wifi adapter should work, somthing to do with internet conection sharing pretty sure it possible and should be easier to do with windows 7.
I havn't done it through a windows system before but i'll try it out tommorow using my ma's laptop and see of i can share a wired connection through the wifi card in it.

Jimmy2000 said:
I think a usb wifi adapter should work, somthing to do with internet conection sharing pretty sure it possible and should be easier to do with windows 7.
I havn't done it through a windows system before but i'll try it out tommorow using my ma's laptop and see of i can share a wired connection through the wifi card in it.

Thanks a lot. Smilie She said she would buy one right away as they're really cheap and, at least for her, easier to use. Smilie I actually didn't really know that those USB WiFi adapters are commonly used too to get your wireless connection going.^^

I would if I could but she lives in Germany and I live in Austria, so it's a pretty stupid situation. If I could just stop by her house with a router and set it up for her, this whole topic probably wouldn't exist in the first place

What it's about a seven hour drive is it? Not THAT long! Smilie
Can you not just get a bus/train and head down to them for the day or better yet talk them through it on the phone?

Birdo Is A Tranny said:

What it's about a seven hour drive is it? Not THAT long! Smilie
Can you not just get a bus/train and head down to them for the day or better yet talk them through it on the phone?

Yeah, that could be about it. It's pretty long and I have to get back too, soo... Smilie I don't think I could even fit that in somewhere right now. Smilie Talking her through on the phone would work if I could see their whole setup which seems to be very complicated.

A USB Wifi adapter should do just as well anyways and is cheaper than a router too, so yeah. Smilie

Our member of the week

I would have thought that the Nintendo USB connector was just a USB wifi adapter with an added function for making it easier to connect your Nintendo stuff, and that it could be detected by other Non-Nintendo devices just as fine...

If it is, then of course it'd work with the 3DS, like wi-fi enabled device. If it's not then it can't be guaranteed.

Jimmy2000 said:

Trust me, it's NOT ! It's worse to make it work in Windows 7 than it was on XP because they named stuff differently and security was tightened so there's more stuff to set up to get it to work. And I'm a Cisco Certified Network Associate technician so I'm certainly not a network illiterate. I tried like two weeks ago. It's not impossible to do, but the different tutorials I found on the web weren't very helpful. If you have some dedicated software with you USB wifi adapter to set it up, then it's OK, but if you're forced to do it through the windows 7 menus, it's a pain in the arse compared to Windows XP. For a long time, it told me it was running fine, and the Internet connection was shared correctly, but the DS always failed connection tests.

( Edited 09.03.2011 17:20 by Kafei2006 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.