March 2011 Music Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 29.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

It's been a long time since the last music thread and a lot of new music has come out since. What have you been listening to? do you have recommendations for others? feel free to share all here.

I've not really been listening to much new stuff, since there's nothing that I've found interesting lately. I did download an album about a month or so back though, by Department of Eagles. I've mostly been listening to that more than anything else.

Department of Eagles - Sailing by Night

Other than that, I've been listening to Siamese Dream, by The Smashing Pumpkins and the Dan in Real Life soundtrack, by Sondre Lerche.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Today

Sondre Lerche - Family Theme Waltz

( Edited 13.04.2011 01:02 by Marzy )

I've been getting my music grove on recently, been searching for a lot of new stuff, below are some of my fave's from this month:

Sia - Breath me - Embedding Disabled :/ A really heart warming track.

Some dub (Trust, this isn't that standard shit that everyone likes, a bit more varied Smilie )

A bit of Classical dub -

Been loving the Qemists recently they do such a range of tracks -

I think this is just a really nice mix -

Others:

There hasn't been that much metal/rock that has come out/caught my interest recently. Though there is this I guess:

Beirut, Elbow, and Sigur Ros right now. Saw British Sea Power live most recently.

IANC said:
Dude yuor totally awesome. And i won't be killing you anytime soon.

I've been digging Nneka lately. She's from Nigeria. I just found her CD in shop a few days ago and I'm loving it.

Her "hit" song is "Heartbeat (actually heard it on an indie-type radio station around here):

My favorite of the CD is probably "Mind vs. Heart," but really, everything I've heard her do has been great. At 2:55, I just fall in love with this song.
(Sidenote: The song actually ends at around 4:10. The rest of the video is silence. Stupid)

I also have been loving Shugo Tokumaru lately. I picked up his "Exit" not too long ago. I liked it, but it wasn't until just a few days ago I realized how awesome he is, specifically the song "La La Radio." The whole song is great, but around 2:45 to the end...it's the reason I love music Smilie
My understanding is he plays all the instruments himself. And there are tons of instruments on this album. He just put out a new album, but I've not heard it yet.

The youtube links aren't working, so I found a different place. Just press the Play arrow to stream the song.
*clicky*

Echoes, since your liking dubstep, this is what I've been liking lately. I don't know what everyone else is listening honestly, but here it is.

Skrillex (dirty dirty dubstep sound)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw

Flux Pavilion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfkOJcDkrjs&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hVIc6qC8k&hd=1

TAG: That American Guy

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Yeah, I've been loving Skrillex, never really been a Dub fan, but started to find some more obscure stuff which I've been digging. Skrillex is pretty Dark and full of wobble Smilie (e.g. Scary Monsters/Kill Everybody) I'll have a look into Flux though Smilie I think the sudden influx (c whut i did thar) comes from the amount of montages I watch >.<
EDIT: Yeah, I've come across flux before Smilie

I've also been listening to a lot of Nneka, I first caught it on the radio on a chase & Status remix, ofc I went to the source of the remixed song and been listening to her for quite a while Smilie

I've also been listening to a shit load of Massive Attack:

( Edited 20.03.2011 03:41 by Echoes221 )

Do we all use Spotify? Here's a playlist of stuff I've been listening to recently
Linky

Image for

My username is Marzy17, feel free to add me.

I get a lot of stuff from a music blog called Musigh. Generally has a lot of chilled out stuff and new/obscure artists.

My music tastes are all over the place, and recently I've been getting into more hip hop/rap. I used to hate the genre because of idiots like soulja boy dumbing down the music industry so much. Then I found out about Lupe Fiasco and some other people who are more underground (Blackalicious, Jurassic 5, Mos Def etc). This stuff is incredible because they're actually rapping about relevant topics and they've got amazing flow and lyrics.

Now, a couple months ago, I listened to Lupe's first two albums, Food and Liquor and The Cool. I thought they were fantastic. While listening to his albums, I did a little research. Damn, after realizing what he's been through, and how screwed up the music industry is, I have sooooo much respect for him now. Here's a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasers_(album)
There are also a ton of interviews with him speaking his mind against Atlantic Records, the music industry, corrupt governments etc.

So, having listened to both of his first 2 albums, I was stoked for Lasers. Then I heard it...SCREW YOU ATLANTIC. They messed it up so bad. Here's a few examples, forcing Lupe to make club songs so that the album could come out, autotuning a couple songs (including one about suicide), cutting the production budget, forcing him to make radio single hits, not releasing two incredible songs on the album that were supposed to (I'm Beamin and Shining Down) etc. Lupe even said himself that he hates his own album. I saw a review that said it felt like Lupe was a guest on his own album. That is so true.

Now there are a handful of extremely good songs though.
These are my two favorite from the album, Till I Get There, and All Black Everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0HQz6GRppc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71McnVwWPwU
Other great songs on this album, in my opinion, are Words I Never Said, Letting Go, and Beautiful Lasers.
The Show Goes On, and Never Forget You, are all right. They're feel good songs I guess. The rest though is garbage.

Oh well, looking forward to Food and Liquor 2.

Have you listened to MF Doom?

Have a look in to Operation Doomsday
Link

Fantastic piece of Hip Hop music.

Good post by the way!

Some pretty good recommendations in here lads, might have to give into my morals and get Spotify to listen to your playlists. Good shout on The Quemists too, I'm interviewing them in a couple of weeks time - should be good.

My two penneth:

J Dilla - U-Love

Fantastic album ('Donuts'), this is my personal favourite donut. It probably won't be yours; there are 31 to choose from after all.

MillionYoung - Easy Now

Standard chillwave, sounds like a mix between Gary Numan and the Rocky theme song.

TV On The Radio - Caffeinated Consciousness

From their new record 'Nine Types Of Light', which is their best yet in my opinion. This is the closing song.

The Go! Team - Apollo Throwdown

Been a fan of these guys since their first album came out five or six years ago, finally saw them live this year and it was simply amazing. New single of their latest album 'Rolling Blackouts'.

The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - The Golden Age

'That' song off the Heineken advert, but in truth the band are criminally underrated as their whole debut album is the nuts. Eagerly awaiting their follow-up.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the Go Team one the most out of those (thought it would have been the TV on the Radio one). It was nice and trippy.

I've been listening to My Bloody Valentine's album, Loveless.

My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes

Edit: I forgot to mention the new Strokes album. It's pretty good, but I still think Room on Fire is their best album.

The Strokes - Machu Picchu

( Edited 13.04.2011 14:45 by Marzy )

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz, Ofisil

There are 2 members online at the moment.