Cubed3 Feature | Nintendo 3DS: Hands-on Launch Review

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 29.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Great review jb, thanks for this!

With all the features on, the battery life is a little unfortunate, but I guess I'd get accustomed to switching off the 3D etc if I don't need it. Especially if I'm playing a DS game.

Perhaps a silly question, and sorry if I missed any mention of it, but can you play it while it's in the charging dock? I haven't seen too much of it, but I couldn't tell if it was still usable when hooked up to that thing.

Also, how big are the screens? I'm more curious about how big the touch screen is compared to previous models of the DS.

One more actually: is there a dimmer for the screen light? PSP has a simple button to flick through the brightness settings. Is this changeable in the home menu at any time?

( Edited 15.03.2011 15:08 by Azuardo )

Azuardo said:
Perhaps a silly question, and sorry if I missed any mention of it, but can you play it while it's in the charging dock? I haven't seen too much of it, but I couldn't tell if it was still usable when hooked up to that thing.

Why would you? It probably is, but it would be awkward and completely unnecessary. You could just take the charging lead out the back of the cradle and plug it straight into the 3DS.

Add me on anything. I'm always looking for new friends/opponents/town visitors/chances to appear more popular than I actually am.

Lynk said:
Why would you? It probably is, but it would be awkward and completely unnecessary. You could just take the charging lead out the back of the cradle and plug it straight into the 3DS.

Both options work - charge cable alone and charging station.

Azuardo said:
With all the features on, the battery life is a little unfortunate, but I guess I'd get accustomed to switching off the 3D etc if I don't need it. Especially if I'm playing a DS game.

3D is really not necessary for the menu screens, so I turn it off. Became a really natural switch after just a few minutes, to be honest.

Also, how big are the screens? I'm more curious about how big the touch screen is compared to previous models of the DS.

The touch-screen is a tiny bit smaller than the DSi, whilst the top screen is actually bigger.

One more actually: is there a dimmer for the screen light? PSP has a simple button to flick through the brightness settings. Is this changeable in the home menu at any time?

There is no extra option to change things, but the brightness on-screen button is shown constantly on the menu screen. I've not found a way of reducing or increasing the brightness whilst in-game, but there is a button combination on the DSi XL, if I recall correctly, so I'm sure it's just something I've not stumbled across yet. Would be weird if Nintendo had removed the feature.

Adam Riley [ Director :: Cubed3 ]

UNITE714: Weekly Prayers | Bible Verses
Mush123 (guest) 15.03.2011#4

Using select + volume up/down changes brightness at any point on the DSi/XL. Not sure whether the 3DS has a slider or buttons for volume control though.

Didn't get a chance to look when I tried it out. If it does have buttons though I'm guessing it will have some kind of shortcut.

Whoa... rainbow Kirby, I'm freaking out man.

Also damn you jb for increasing my hype level with your positive review. Next Friday seems so far away. >_<

Great review jb, you're even excused for those horrible puns in there although I admit, the Bowser one was pretty good. Smilie

Like L, I'm counting the days till I get my 3DS in excitement, probably a bit less though since I really can't wait for Okamiden. It's driving me nuts. Smilie

I was a bit on the edge when deciding whether to get one a few months back, but now I'm quite excited. I just hope next Friday doesn't take too long to get here

Mush123 (guest) 16.03.2011#8

I am also counting down the days for the 3DS, I'm so hyped. Especially after playing one.

Wait, "2 buttons on either shoulder" --> 4 shoulder buttons? Smilie

Crobb (guest) 16.03.2011#10

I actually can't wait for this! I know it's been said before but I wish Zelda had have been a launch title! Because thats the game i'm really excited about! But saying that i'm excited about Pilotwings, Nintendogs, Pro Evo and Splinter Cell! Those are my launch titles woot

I have a couple of questions that I've heard nothing on:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/19/nintendo-3ds-to-allow-for-game-installs/

Does the 3DS allow games to be copied to internal memory to be played without a cartridge (I don't think you can as no one has mentioned it since the rumours).

Any idea on the internal memory? Does it give a block count like the Wii/DSi?

And can saved games be saved directly to internal memory/SD card or do they have to be saved to the cartridge?

( Edited 16.03.2011 14:40 by Lynk )

Add me on anything. I'm always looking for new friends/opponents/town visitors/chances to appear more popular than I actually am.
Our member of the week

With 3DS turned down to minimum, wireless off and power saving mode on, it shifted towards the seven, eight hour mark

Awesome news ^^. I don't plan to leave the Wi-Fi on when not necessary anyway. I was affraid it would painfully reach the 5 hours mark with everything at the minimum, so knowing that it actually goes above that, I feel reassured Smilie.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Cheers guys,

You're able to switch into the Home screen at any time and can adjust brightness (except playing DS games). There are 5 levels of brightness to choose from, and a nifty power saving on/off switch. Power saving on dims the screen to a yellow-ish hue.

Does the 3DS allow games to be copied to internal memory to be played without a cartridge (I don't think you can as no one has mentioned it since the rumours).

Not sure - don't think so, haven't seen the option to.

Any idea on the internal memory? Does it give a block count like the Wii/DSi?

At the moment you can manage channel data (it says this will be available with a system update). Save software titles. As for save data, it is presented in the same way with a list of titles and blocks. With the default SD card (2GB) you get around 15,000 blocks.

And can saved games be saved directly to internal memory/SD card or do they have to be saved to the cartridge?

By the looks of things, save data for games remains on the cartridge. Don't think you can backup/transfer onto the 3DS, however any installable apps will likely use the SD card for extra save data, and internal for the install.

I actually can't wait for this! I know it's been said before but I wish Zelda had have been a launch title! Because thats the game i'm really excited about! But saying that i'm excited about Pilotwings, Nintendogs, Pro Evo and Splinter Cell! Those are my launch titles woot

Not too long till Zelda - June 2011.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

For reference, Face Raiders takes two blocks and Mii Maker is also two blocks. AR Games doesn't show up on the 'Extra Data Management' screen.

jesusraz said:
For reference, Face Raiders takes two blocks and Mii Maker is also two blocks. AR Games doesn't show up on the 'Extra Data Management' screen.

True - I guess it's because AR games would hold high scores, and the rest would be stored as images on the SD.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

I really dislike how IGN have given the console a review score. I think its ridiculous. It can't be given a rating, a console is only as good as its software which is likely to improve over time.

On the other hand, sweet review JB Smilie

Echoes221 said:
I really dislike how IGN have given the console a review score. I think its ridiculous. It can't be given a rating, a console is only as good as its software which is likely to improve over time.

I never read IGN anymore. I didn't realise they'd done something as odd as that. Consoles should never be given review scores - that's ludicrous.

jesusraz said:
Echoes221 said:

I never read IGN anymore. I didn't realise they'd done something as odd as that. Consoles should never be given review scores - that's ludicrous.

Actually there's no reason why not. It's just like any other piece of hardware, like a PC or mobile phone, and it's important to know how various features of the hardware are presented. I can agree that scoring it is rather moot, but nobody readig a website like this is going to make a purchasing decision based off a 7.5.

( Edited 20.03.2011 19:14 by Lynk )

It looks great but I think I will give it a few months and wait for better games to come out. The only one on there that interests me is PES 2011 but I already have it on the PS3.

I'm not sure if this has been covered but does it have a built in Web Browser?

Yoshidude said:
It looks great but I think I will give it a few months and wait for better games to come out. The only one on there that interests me is PES 2011 but I already have it on the PS3.

I'm not sure if this has been covered but does it have a built in Web Browser?

Afaik, that and many other things like the eShop will be added via a system update in late May. Smilie

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.