Nintendo to Brick 3DS Systems With Illegal Activity on Them

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 24.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

There's ample piracy on both of Nintendo's current platforms, so I think steps like this are necessary. But as always, the pirates will find a way around this.

I'm getting a UK machine, but I'm hoping to get a US or Japanese ne later. I'm in no rush, but I want some great 3DS games by Christmas. I'm excited to see what Nintendo show at E3, in addition to the new Mario game.

( Edited 19.03.2011 11:48 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Wait, you can just format the 3DS and it will clear all history? What's the use of this whole system then?!

Yeah you can format it, but you will never be able to install the newest update, if you still want to use the illegal software Smilie

I feel that Nintendo is in the right. If people wish to Pirate their software, like crazy... then I see no reason why Nintendo shouldn't combat this, even if this is a harsh lesson,there's games out there, if you used a Macro/bot or cheating thing, they don't care if you're paying or free profile, they will delete your account.

Also Giluc, They also said the Firmware updates, are automatic, I don't think you'd be given the say for updates. (they said that spotpass was adjustable but I don't think that other things are.)
If that's what you were saying, if not just ignore it.

( Edited 18.03.2011 16:06 by Wolvesgod )

When all is bad don't look for a easy way out. Because you wont know what to do once your out

If it's right there in the user agreement and you fail to read it AND you do what is prohibited then sure, brick them systems

metro (guest) 18.03.2011#6

Illegal software, sure, but the impression I got is it'll block any custom or homebrew software as well. I think that's a bit extreme - homebrew is an obligatory part of a system's lifespan, and I wouldnt class it on the same level as piracy.

Our member of the week

As long as Nintendo brings over all the interesting games, I have no complains. But if they don't it sucks that we can't even play games from other regions, and that our consoles get bricked if we still want to play games from abroad for which we paid money :-x. Unauthorized software doesn't mean we want to do anything illegal with it.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

I wish Nintendo had a nicer policy about homebrew games instead of effectively lumping it with piracy. I guess it's hard to do practically, but I think it's worth the effort.

TAG: That American Guy

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Homebrew is fun as hell, but nowhere near obligatory.

I feel conflicted. We wouldn't have to homebrew if Nintendo would get shit right the first time Smilie

Of course, many of us still would, just because it's fun; like a puzzle. The unlocked features are sort of a bonus.

( Edited 19.03.2011 00:33 by justonesp00lturn )

NNID: crackedthesky
My blog, mostly about writing: http://www.davidjlovato.com

Okay... I have a problem with pirating the latest games, but c'mon, I LOVE using Homebrew on my Wii. Heck, apparently my Wii is, with the exception of possibly downloading the latest Wii firmware, more brick-proof than a regular Wii.

I honestly don't agree with bricking a Homebrew'd 3DS, but I suppose it would be hard to brick a Homebrew'd 3DS that pirates games and cheats online.. oh, I don't know. It's just... well, if they WERE to do something about it, I'd rather they ban the 3DS from all online features.

wait, if it bricks because of internal software changes, what about things like R4?

TinSword said:
wait, if it bricks because of internal software changes, what about things like R4?

I can't see DS carts affecting the system.
I think they are more concerned about 3DS pirating.

SINCE 06
Ninjanaut (guest) 23.03.2011#13

This is a bunch of crap, really. Nintendo can't legally get away with this, and as such I believe it will fail. Would they not have already been bricking Wiis? It's not as though a simple firmware update wouldn't do the trick, and yet here we are.

If companies could legally brick systems like that, Xbox modders and even PC users would get smacked with such updates. It's not something that has to be pre-packaged with the hardware... a firmware update would be enough. The best Nintendo could do here is to block online services... nothing more. Smilie

StonedMoose (guest) 25.03.2011#14

Yes I think this is a legit step to take.

j-rock (guest) 07.04.2011#15

nintendo has the right to block your iilegal flash card from being used on thier system but they dont have the right to brick your purchased console and if they do then they can get sued in a heartbeat!

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz, Sandy Wilson

There are 2 members online at the moment.