Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 28.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Image for

Console:

Image for

GamePad

Image for

Image for

Controller Pro

Image for

Specs
Launches:
Size:
Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
GamePad:
The Wii U GamePad™ controller removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. It incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks. Inputs include a +Control Pad, L/R sticks, L/R stick buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons, Power button, HOME button, -/SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button. The GamePad also includes motion control (powered by an accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic sensor), a front-facing camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, rumble features, a sensor bar, an included stylus and support for Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. It is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and weighs approximately 1.1 pounds (500 g).
Other Controls:
The Wii U console is capable of supporting two Wii U GamePad controllers, up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers or Wii U Pro Controllers, and Wii accessories such as the Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board.
Media:
A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
Video Output:
Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.
Audio Output:
Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
Storage:
The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
CPU:
IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
Clock Speed: 1.25GHz
GPU
AMD HD Radeon based GPU
Clock Speed: 550MHz
Networking
Wii U can access the Internet via wireless (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) connection. The console features four USB 2.0 connectors �" two in the front and two in the rear �" that support Wii LAN Adapters.
Other:
Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and nearly all Wii accessories.

( Edited 10.08.2014 23:19 by Azuardo )

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Summary of my thoughts:

- Vitality sensor is part of the controller, either in the casing itself to measure vitals like gym equipment handles currently do, or in a wrist strap.

- The screen on the controller displays vitals, gameplay elements. Allegedly there's a front-facing camera on the controller; if this is true, I expect video chat to be a key part of Nintendo's online strategy. They've already trialled this in Pokémon Black / White on DS.

- Enhanced sensor bar that incorporates Ambilight-like technology.

- I also want haptic force feedback, but I'm not betting on it happening.

- I'm expecting the controller's form to be similar to the Wii Remote (thus retaining things like the pointer, integrated or improved MotionPlus-like motion) - unsure how this could work with the screen idea, unless the screen is actually rather small or is thin and covers the entire front of the controller, 6" diagonal, which matches the dimensions of the current Wii Remote sans MotionPlus perfectly. Wireless nunchuk.

- Power terms, PS3.5 - a good leap over PS3 and 360 that will be surpassed by the other next-gen consoles when they launch in 2013 / 2014, which will leave it in a PS2-type situation when Microsoft and Sony choose to launch their new systems; capable of getting ports without getting left too far behind. Launching a year or so ahead of the competitors gives ample time for marketshare to be gained, and also time for third parties to get experience of the system, meaning that multiplatform systems get built for N6 and ported up, much like the situation with PlayStation 2 / GameCube / Xbox.

( Edited 16.04.2011 21:54 by Mason )

Cyanide (guest) 16.04.2011#3

I think this is shenanigans, if they do release a new console they obviously make it motion controled because its what sold the wii.

ShaneT (guest) 16.04.2011#4

Isn't there a topic for this alredy?

ShaneT (guest) said:

Nope, just a news report.

@Mason, I personally thing that the screen will be able to be strapped on to peoples arms so it can be used like the Pit Boy from Fallout, or the Watch from Goldeneye, that way it'll free up the controller and be able to read vitals and act like a menu screen while looking completely awesome.

Don't quite agree - a flexible screen may be out of the price range Nintendo want for it - but going down that idea path all the same...

Or you'd be able to take it out and about in that fashion, separate from the controller. I expect the system to link up to 3DS to use its StreetPass data somehow - alternately, it could do what you say and gather the data itself.

I'm surprised that no-one else has responded yet.

But yeah, I can definitely see your idea working Mason, it'll be like how you can store 10 Miis on a Wii Remote, only with more interactivity and memory.

ShaneT (guest) said:

There was, by me, until jb closed it for a news post lol

( Edited 24.05.2014 15:13 by Azuardo )

Well there wasn't much point in having two discussion topics at the time imo. I did merge the topics together.

But as it's spiralled into many rumours and over 70 replies, it could be best to have this topic to keep things together as more news comes in. I don't quite see all the who-ha about who "owns" what topic, but that's just me...

Anyway, back on topic.

( Edited 16.04.2011 22:58 by jb )

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Ah right, sorry Azuardo, I didn't realise.

So what does everyone want the next console to do, besides what's been mentioned?

Nothing to worry about Smilie

I'll try and post more rumours and info as I find it, as I'm sure everyone else will, just to keep things interesting.

I'll be a bit disappointed if the next Nintendo console isn't much more powerful than a 360, but that will probably indicate it's going to be a competitor with the 360 and PS3, rather than starting off the next gen. Or, it kind of will be starting off the next gen as it might force MS and Sony to release new machines too. Or... MS and Sony might add whatever features the 'N6' has to their current consoles through peripherals or new addons and just let their systems run for a few more years. If the N6 is only on the same level as the others, they might not feel too forced into bringing out new consoles early.

It's just that if this is gonna be a next gen console, it's clearly gonna be the weakest compared to the PS4 and Xbox 3, right? I don't want a repeat of this gen again. But, saying that, the things I want most from a Nintendo console are PS3-level graphics with full online play for almost every Nintendo game, with voicechat and all the extra crap that comes with it. That's what should have happened this gen, but as long as it happens, I'll be happy.

I really want certain franchises to come out too: F-Zero, Star Fox, Pikmin. I'm not sure if Pikmin 3 will come out for Wii. It may do next year, we might hear about it at E3, but I'm thinking it might be best to just leave the Wii now and focus on getting these games as launch games for the 'N6'.

Star Fox. I wonder if the SF series will get a reboot now? I was reading an interesting article about the series on IGN yesterday, and it's interesting to see how the series has definitely gone downhill since Adventures. By no means a bad game, nor was Assault, but definitely not up to the standards of Starwing and SF64. In Command, it seemed they didn't really know where to take the team, what with all the different endings you could achieve. And now with the re-release of SF64 on 3DS, it makes me wonder if they will reboot the franchise in the future, and disregard characters like Krystal, and focus on what makes SF truly great. And of course, online dogfights and co-op. Co-op Star Fox hasn't been done before, but it would be great if they could get it working without your arwings clashing.

And F-Zero. I fricking loved GX. It had practically everything, and great customisation options. The only thing that it was lacking was full 30-player online races. Imagine racing against up to 29 other people from all over the world at once at 1000mph. It would be insane.

And of course all the other franchises that we love. HD Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Smash Bros. We need them.

( Edited 24.05.2014 15:14 by Azuardo )

Brain electrode 4D touch gyrogoggles with twin laser displays and only 1 friend code.

It's going to be shit and you jolly well know it.

On top of everything, Nintendo hasn't actually ruled out 3D, it's just that because IGN believe everything that Reggie Fills-Aime says, they ruled it out. I think it will support 3D, it just won't be a main selling point.

I also think they'll go a bit beyond PS3 level graphics, I mean, the Nvidia 8800GT that came out the same week as the machine can churn out better stuff than that (seriously), I'm hoping actually, that it'll be on the same level as atleast a Radeon HD4890, or HD5770, but overclocked, and I'm hoping it'll have atleast a gig of dedicated RAM.

But in terms of the CPU, I think all it'll need is a Quad core to compete or even outmatch the current crop, the 360 is quite old in tech, and the Cell in the PS3 is bottlenecked by the GPU (as mentioned above).

Now as for games, I would love to see a new F-Zero, and I wouldn't mind it, like GX, Nintendo outsourced it to Sega again since they did an excellent job on that with the Cube, the game was as hard as nails, that coupled with some new racers, a few more cups and a brilliant online mode would make it the best online racer out there.

Starfox does need a reboot, the only thing is, it's never had a very long single player (not counting adventures) and to do that they'll need to add quite a lot and change quite a few things. But then again, I'm sure people are happy with the Lylat Wars formula, just add online and some more maps and you've got yourself a winner (although I liked assaults MP).

I don't know if Pikmin 3 will ever come out, I mean, if Nintendo's next consoles is powerful enough, it could probably render a million Pikmin at once, all better looking than the Cube versions. Imagine that, a huge scale Pikmin multiplayer battle online.

This is what I want to see happen:

*Nintendo needs to make sure the online system works well. Take notes from the Xbox 360 and PS3.

*They should also make the Wii 2/Project Cafe/N6/whatever connect with the 3DS in powerful ways. Make the 3DS a controller or something (but of course, never make it necessary to have a 3DS. That would turn it into a $200 controller).

*Don't region lock (I doubt this will change, unfortunately).

*Nintendo should make the Wii 2 have a decent hard drive.

*Modern internet browser. You should at least be able to have multiple tabs.

*I would like to see the next console become a media hub. That would be very useful for me and many others. Personally, I use my Xbox 360 as my only DVD player and in the future I may very well use it for Netflix. Nintendo already has Netflix on the Wii, so that's good. The next console should be able to play DVDs and hopefully Blu-rays as well stream from Netflix.

Regarding the touch screen rumors, I'm afraid I won't like it. First of all, a touch screen simply isn't as useful when you're not looking at it (you're looking at the TV). It makes sense on phones because the touch screen is the screen. Plus, with phones you want to make the little space you have as useful as possible. And on the DS, when you're not actively watching the touch screen, you can just quickly glance down a bit and see it. I could see a touch screen having some novel uses, but I can't see it being useful enough to make it part of the controller and add to the overall cost. If you want to use a touch screen in a novel way, use the 3DS.

( Edited 17.04.2011 02:00 by TAG )

TAG: That American Guy

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Perhaps the thought that the controller will use a touch screen suggests that the 3DS can be used as an extra controller in exactly the same way (or thereabouts). So if your buddy has a 3DS, he can bring it round to play a multiplayer game, while you use the Wii 2 controller. Obviously it would have other main uses, but just one idea that came to mind when reading your post, TAG.

I also want the system to be a hub of sorts. I want it to play and connect to everything. DVDs, blurays, bluetooth devices, phones, play music, etc. The PS3 is a fine example of this. Just something that will draw people in that want all that kinda stuff. I'm grateful that the PS3 plays blurays as it means I don't have to fork out for a bluray player. The Wii 2 needs to be multifunctional, and not just a games machine.

( Edited 17.04.2011 02:12 by Azuardo )

A good Online experience. Startags, voice chat, Star Achievements, text chat, group messaging, cross platform chat, party chat, cheaper virtual console titles, greater range of Indie games, better browser support, TV/Movie streaming, Lots of game demo's.

A hefty stream of first party titles, good third party support so that it stands on equal footing with the competition. Not too many ports, a few would be nice, e.g. CoD boxset (as mentioned by martin), Mass Effect 1/2/3, Bioshock 1&2. The AAA's. And Portal 2. Greater focus on the HardCore....I just can't help thinking that the ship has sailed for Nintendo on that front with its home consoles.

Cost effective, not so over priced like the Wii was, and still is.

Some people over at IGN are suggesting that the console might make use of cloud gaming like ONLIVE, so all you need is a small, not so powerful box that Nintendo Provide, and controllers, then you simply stream the games from a server, allowing for up to date graphics without too much expense.

Only problem I see with that is: a) What if the servers go down, b) Single player experiences may suffer c) Internet Limitations (i.e. downloads)

I have a feeling Nintendo is going to kick the door down on Microsoft and Sony and all the critics who think Nintendo have gone soft. All these rumors about how the next console will be HD and so and so is plausible as we all anticipated this to happen and it most likely will. Nintendo have realised they lost mature and hardcore audience with the Wii to the competitors, they HAVE to gain that back because if they produce another Wii console with just better resolution then I think they might aswell call it a day.

Bizarrely, video game rumours on the internet almost always turn out to be true.

It's going to be shit and you jolly well know it.

Can't see any big reveal happening, at least not this E3. Nintendo would be wiser to devote this year's conference to the 3DS, and maybe give vague hints as to the N6's features, with a full blow-out next year. Much like E3 2005 actually.

Phoenixus said:
Can't see any big reveal happening, at least not this E3. Nintendo would be wiser to devote this year's conference to the 3DS, and maybe give vague hints as to the N6's features, with a full blow-out next year. Much like E3 2005 actually.

I don't see how Nintendo can possibly announce the console at E3 2012 and have the console ready for 2013. By the next generation of consoles will be out, Nintendo have to make the first step this year by announcing the console.

Irfy said:
I don't see how Nintendo can possibly announce the console at E3 2012 and have the console ready for 2013. By the next generation of consoles will be out, Nintendo have to make the first step this year by announcing the console.

Wii was fully revealed at E3 2006, and was out the same year, I'd expect the same for their next home console.

What has the Wii got left apart from the New Zelda which will eventually make its way towards the new console like they did with Twligiht Princess...

Irfy said:
What has the Wii got left apart from the New Zelda which will eventually make its way towards the new console like they did with Twligiht Princess...

The new games they will reveal at E3.

Coming from a Eurogamer interview about the 3DS with Capcom's Yoshinori Ono...

Eurogamer: Do you see a future when you'll be able to play Street Fighter on a home console and then transport your profile onto a handheld when you leave the home and continue playing? Is cross-platform play between home and portable consoles possible?

Yoshinori Ono: Yeah, I think we're probably three months too early to answer that question. But if you're going to be at E3, see you there.

I wonder what console he had in mind, It could well be PS3 - NGP he had in mind, but you never know... Could SSFIV:AE be coming to Nintendo's next console, and will it feature cross platform connection with the 3DS game?.

( Edited 17.04.2011 15:48 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, Ofisil

There are 2 members online at the moment.