Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 29.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

to be fair, it IS kinda the time of year for freezing. Can u blame that on nintendo?

You are not alone. I am here with you. Though we're far apart...you're always in my heart. Love u!

Touche. U should try it up here, bloody baltic!

Time for a bit of Zombi bashing, nothing like the undead to warm a friday night :p

Barry Lewis [ nin10do :: General Writer :: Feature Writer :: Fountain of Industry Statistics ]
"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh."
Our member of the week

My Wii froze on the "How Long will you survive" screen on Zombi U, just once. Friend of mine also had only one freeze, and on the exact same spot in ZombiU as well. Otherwise my main complain is how the network has frequent issues (online content not being available)... AND the system has the worse Wi-Fi reception I've seen in any device. The Wii received my Wi-Fi signal twice better than the WiiU... heck, even my cheap smartphone gets a better Wi-Fi reception than the WiiU.

( Edited 07.12.2012 22:40 by RudyC3 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

I've had no problems with WiFi reception but it can be bad where it counts (like download speed is a bit meh?)

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

SuperLink said:
I've had no problems with WiFi reception but it can be bad where it counts (like download speed is a bit meh?)
Hmm... my download speed seems to be fine. Weird.

Clearly Nintendo are giving their users very mixed experiences! Smilie This is bizarre!

Our member of the week

I was talking about the hardware... as in the WiiU console has a bad Wi-Fi antenna inside. Sometimes I just can't catch the signal from my domestic network at home when all my others devices can do it just fine. i always had my console inside a small piece of furniture and the Wii for example could catch the signal just fine from inside, without interruptions, but with the WiiU I have to place it near the door in my bedroom so that nothing around it blocks it from receiving the signal coming from downstairs.

When it does catch it, I don't have any major speed problems. The first update took about half an hour for me.

( Edited 08.12.2012 01:19 by RudyC3 )

RudyC3 said:
I was talking about the hardware... as in the WiiU console has a bad Wi-Fi antenna inside. Sometimes I just can't catch the signal from my domestic network at home when all my others devices can do it just fine. i always had my console inside a small piece of furniture and the Wii for example could catch the signal just fine from inside, without interruptions, but with the WiiU I have to place it near the door in my bedroom so that nothing around it blocks it from receiving the signal coming from downstairs.

When it does catch it, I don't have any major speed problems. The first update took about half an hour for me.

An in that case I think I know what you mean and my WiiU is very near to the router still with minor signal issues, I wonder how my WiiU will cope at my mother's house in that case Smilie

Weird.. my router is in our spare room (my brother's room until he moved out a couple of months ago) which is on the other side of the house from my room. I haven't experienced any connection issues yet, which is strange indeed.

The only problem I had regarding WiFi is that I had to enter my IP, Subnet and Gateway manually. Which, I've heard quite a few people had to.

My wifi is fine. The Wii U loads pages faster than my 3DS, usually even faster than my iPod Touch. I had wifi problems somewhat frequently with my Wii, which is slightly closer to my router than the Wii U, but I've had no problems with the Wii U.

NNID: crackedthesky
My blog, mostly about writing: http://www.davidjlovato.com
Our member of the week

My Wii U is not only on the other side of the house, but two floors above as well, so you could say that I might be the worst case on here. Nevertheless, like I said, I never had such issues with my other devices.

I've had one freeze (or at least I think it was) when my Wii U Menu loading screen kept going and going. Might had resolved eventually but I reset anyway. Aside for the initial Wi-Fi issues that's the only problem I've had. Smilie

Had no problems connecting it to the internet at all but the Wii U doesn't really give you any good idea of how good the signal it's getting is. My router is downstairs and I already need a really good WiFi adapter with an external antenna to get 100% of my speed for my PC in my room. I think I remember my PS3 getting about 75% when I did a test but no idea about my Wii, though online play on it was always fine. Really hard to say anything based on downloading the Wii U updates, since Nintendo's servers were most likely busy during those times.

I had one freeze yesterday on Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed while in the middle of an online game which was annoying.

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

No Mature Content Before 11pm
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/talking_point_time_for_wii_u_to_treat_us_like_adultshttp://uk.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-blocking-18-wii-u-content-in-europe-until-11-pm-report-6401246

PAL Wii U Does Not Upscale Wii Games
http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/05/wii-u-pal-backwards-compatibility-doesnt-upscale-to-hd/

( Edited 08.12.2012 17:05 by Linkyshinks )

PAL WiiU does upscale the image if you are using HDMI cables, for some reason it doesn't do it through componant though.

justonesp00lturn said:
Also, I think Flynnie was talking about the Wii system update, not Wii U. Apparently the Wii got a system update for the first time in forever.

I was talking about the Wii U update. There was 2, the day one update and then another update they released at some point last week. Not sure what the 2nd one did but its all over now...well for the time being.

RudyC3 said:
My Wii froze on the "How Long will you survive" screen on Zombi U, just once. Friend of mine also had only one freeze, and on the exact same spot in ZombiU as well. Otherwise my main complain is how the network has frequent issues (online content not being available)... AND the system has the worse Wi-Fi reception I've seen in any device. The Wii received my Wi-Fi signal twice better than the WiiU... heck, even my cheap smartphone gets a better Wi-Fi reception than the WiiU.

Actually i disagree with this in my own personal instance. My router is downstairs and i am in the attic, my iPhone can just barely pick up Wi-Fi up here, the DSlite doesn't really pick up reception, my PS3 (used to... Smilie ) pick up 80% and my Wii U is picking up the strongest yet. No issues for me!

I have had a few other problems though such as with the freezing issue i had the system freeze up on me in COD today as well and annoyingly i was doing quite well. I couldn't literally turn it off, i had to unplug the system.  I have also had instances where the gamepad can't find the console despite the fact of only being around 1 metre away from the system! Other than that its all hunky dory!

Our member of the week

I sorta solved my Wi-Fi reception problem by setting up a Wi-Fi USB dongle as an access point, with my laptop, to sort of amplify the signal. (I'm in the attic too btw, just like you Flynnie). It's a pain in the strudel to have to leave the laptop running just so my WiiU can get a clear signal, but I don't really have a choice.

Because all my equipment is close by, I prefer using LAN.
I bought a USB LAN adapter and it works really well. Fast, stable internet, no problems at all.

Oh and my U hasn't frozen yet. Edit: Oh wait, it did freeze during the Wii transfer. Edit2: Oh that wasn't a total freeze... it was fine after 10 minutes or so.

( Edited 10.12.2012 14:09 by Canyarion )

Has anyone with Nintendo Land played the game a lot so far, particularly the multiplayer? I'm surprised by how great it is and the multiplayer sessions I've had were some of the best local multiplayer I've ever experienced. Smilie

Yeah, Nintendo Land's multiplayer is really nice. Smilie

This should be an official Wii U commercial.

( Edited 11.12.2012 18:34 by SirLink )

Earlier I pitted my Wii U's internet browser against my iPod Touch 5th Gen's by going to a website that liked to launch ads of all kinds, including ads in other tabs.

The Wii U blew Mobile Safari out the window. It loaded everything way faster, let me close the ads way faster, and opened tabs in the background (Mobile Safari opens new tabs and then automatically takes you to them) but left the little Xs up for easy closing. I'm really impressed with this thing's internet browser. I rarely use it though, and rarely will (just can't beat having the internet in my pocket at all times).

Also, I haven't had a system freeze since my rant about it the other day, so I think maybe the update did fix it and the time it froze after the update was just a fluke.

NNID: crackedthesky
My blog, mostly about writing: http://www.davidjlovato.com

The WiiU's internet browser is bloody brilliant and fast, I just hope it either expands on Flash or HTML5 or somethin soon.
Also the WiiU could do with some good apps/integration with Skype, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I always enjoyed that about the PS3 and all three run really well on my Vita (better than on my phone).

The Wii U blew Mobile Safari out the window. It loaded everything way faster, let me close the ads way faster, and opened tabs in the background (Mobile Safari opens new tabs and then automatically takes you to them) but left the little Xs up for easy closing. I'm really impressed with this thing's internet browser. I rarely use it though, and rarely will (just can't beat having the internet in my pocket at all times).

Whahey, who would have thought that a full-sized system with four times the RAM and a higher clocked, more capable CPU would be able to load web pages faster! Sorry for the sarcastic tone, but it shouldn't be that surprising that its speedier than an iTouch...

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.