Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

There's no way technology like that could equal an affordable controller, awesome as it would be. Hell, a �£30 Wiimote was already a ripoff, and that was hardly state-of-the-art.

kotaku reporting(rumour) 8gb storageSmilieSmilie

I very much doubt it'll be that little.

Maybe it'll come with built in memory (Like about 64GB Flash) and a 8GB SD card.

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

they saying 8gb fash memory, which sounds really low, maybe they mixed it up with ram. besides if dlc, demos are stored on some sort of cloud based system 8gb would be enough for game saves and as you say theres always sd cards.

8GB is really pathetic. Xbox 1 had an 8GB HDD from launch, what.. ten years ago? Anyways, I personally hope Nintendo doesn't continue down this road of insisting on flash memory. I know it has it's advantages, but for the moment the price-to-storage ratio is still dire when compared with HDDs.

In other words, Nintendo - please just include a standard HDD. Copy the PS3 design and make it so that I can install any third-party PC hard drive with no hassle, and without voiding my warranty. SD cards are OK for some things, so why not continue to have SD ports as well.

Lack of a HDD will damage it if it truly intends to compete technologically with future competition, which will certainly include big HDDs that developers can use to enable more impressive games to run.

nintendo@ e3 7th june 5pm uk time

8gb of storage would indicate that they're still not taking online seriously, which would be prety fucking hilarious.

( Edited 04.05.2011 14:33 by Raff )

It's going to be shit and you jolly well know it.

not really. if they revamp the online and give us online storage then all vc, wiiware, dlc and demo could be stored online. 8gb for game saves and system updates is enough, if u need more theres sd cards, if u need more online storage outside of whats allotted to each user then im guessing it would be available for purchase.

this can be done on the psn right now....... well not RIGHT now

MiiWiiKing said:
not really. if they revamp the online and give us online storage then all vc, wiiware, dlc and demo could be stored online.

That'd be a rather terrible/hilarious situation. Most of the DLC I have on my PS3 and 360 is well over 1GB. Some of it is well over 2GB. Imagine having to download that shit every time you wanted to play it. You'd be waiting half an hour. Every time.

MiiWiiKing said:
8gb for game saves and system updates is enough, if u need more theres sd cards

It'd be just about enough for simple game saves. It'd quickly fill-up though with the size of today's game saves (do not look at your Wii save files for comparison). That's just simple game saves. What about installs?

The HDD is the one reason that some PS3 games looks way better than anything on 360. Roughly 20GB of install data is on my PS3 HDD. If installation of game data is going to be an option to Wii2 developers, they are going to need way more than 8GB of on-board storage.

Online storage for installation data is impractical to the point of being essentially impossible, due to the same reasons why having DLC stored online is stupid. Even more so in this case. The whole idea of installing game data to the HDD is that it can be read from that source much faster than it can be read from the disc.

Imagine GTA stalling for five minutes to load installation data from the cloud to load the next part of the city. Of course Rockstar would just opt to have the game run entirely from disc in that scenario. But then the game is worse than it might have been.

As for SD cards - they have their uses. Basically, I would use an SD card to take a game save to a friend's house. I would not consider SD cards as viable alternatives to a nice big HDD. I would end up having to have an array of SD cards, which would end up costing me a small mint. Plus, it would just feel like I'm buying memory cards again. Which would suck balls.

MiiWiiKing said:
if u need more online storage outside of whats allotted to each user then im guessing it would be available for purchase.

Uh, well I personally would consider that a rip-off. I got done paying for memory cards/equivalents years ago. Like relying on SD cards for saves, to me relying on 'paid for' online storage would just feel like I'm paying for memory cards again, and only because Nintendo are too short-sighted to include a nice big HDD.

I'm thinking by the time Wii2 launches, a 250GB HDD would be the absolute minimum acceptable amount. I'd totally be willing to pay a little extra for Wii2 if that's what needs to happen for them to consider including a HDD. Not including one will definitely damage the console in the long-run, and probably even in the short-run.

MiiWiiKing said:

The less said about PSN the better Smilie

Seriously hope MS and Nintendo have taken big notes on Sony's fiasco so that they never find themselves in the same boat. It would highly surprise me if they hadn't.

I just read the Kotaku "article" and if they did get the info from a source, they definitely purposely miss-interpreted the 8GB storage. As you know, a lot of journalists from these big websites like to do some shit stirring just to get attention. So I wouldn't take what they said seriously.

The way I read it, the 8GB may well be just for game saves, and then there'll be a Hard-drive on top of that.

Martin_ said:
MiiWiiKing said:
not really. if they revamp the online and give us online storage then all vc, wiiware, dlc and demo could be stored online.

That'd be a rather terrible/hilarious situation. Most of the DLC I have on my PS3 and 360 is well over 1GB. Some of it is well over 2GB. Imagine having to download that shit every time you wanted to play it. You'd be waiting half an hour. Every time.

MiiWiiKing said:
8gb for game saves and system updates is enough, if u need more theres sd cards

It'd be just about enough for simple game saves. It'd quickly fill-up though with the size of today's game saves (do not look at your Wii save files for comparison). That's just simple game saves. What about installs?

The HDD is the one reason that some PS3 games looks way better than anything on 360. Roughly 20GB of install data is on my PS3 HDD. If installation of game data is going to be an option to Wii2 developers, they are going to need way more than 8GB of on-board storage.

Online storage for installation data is impractical to the point of being essentially impossible, due to the same reasons why having DLC stored online is stupid. Even more so in this case. The whole idea of installing game data to the HDD is that it can be read from that source much faster than it can be read from the disc.

Imagine GTA stalling for five minutes to load installation data from the cloud to load the next part of the city. Of course Rockstar would just opt to have the game run entirely from disc in that scenario. But then the game is worse than it might have been.

As for SD cards - they have their uses. Basically, I would use an SD card to take a game save to a friend's house. I would not consider SD cards as viable alternatives to a nice big HDD. I would end up having to have an array of SD cards, which would end up costing me a small mint. Plus, it would just feel like I'm buying memory cards again. Which would suck balls.

MiiWiiKing said:
if u need more online storage outside of whats allotted to each user then im guessing it would be available for purchase.

Uh, well I personally would consider that a rip-off. I got done paying for memory cards/equivalents years ago. Like relying on SD cards for saves, to me relying on 'paid for' online storage would just feel like I'm paying for memory cards again, and only because Nintendo are too short-sighted to include a nice big HDD.

I'm thinking by the time Wii2 launches, a 250GB HDD would be the absolute minimum acceptable amount. I'd totally be willing to pay a little extra for Wii2 if that's what needs to happen for them to consider including a HDD. Not including one will definitely damage the console in the long-run, and probably even in the short-run.

MiiWiiKing said:

The less said about PSN the better Smilie

Seriously hope MS and Nintendo have taken big notes on Sony's fiasco so that they never find themselves in the same boat. It would highly surprise me if they hadn't.

im not saying that a hard drive is not the best options, because it obviously is.

can u not access online storage files as if they were on the physical drive in front of you, internet connection permitted? besides i have now realised that this wouldn't be a viable option for nintendo as the internet connection speeds aren't there, tho online storage would fall in line with their ideas of wiiconnect24

nintendo hate loading times. always have always will so as far as installing a game to reduce loading times, i have faith they will come up with something if the 8gb rumour turns out to be true

Ubisoft Porting 360/PS3 titles to Wii2/Cafe/N6

IGN just couldn't resist yet again and basically built a PC with the N6 hardware components they've been told from their sources. Pretty interesting to watch and certainly one of IGN's better videos, even though we all know that something like this is not going to be near accurate even if the specs they have turn out to be true as a dedicated videogame console will always outperform a PC with the same specs and that's not even counting that the tested games aren't built specifically for the hardware while N6 games will obviously be.

( Edited 14.05.2011 10:36 by SirLink )

You're entirely correct SirLink, a console with optimised games will always outperform a PC of similar specs, but he did mention that, although I do doubt quite a few of IGN's rumours. The other thing is that that AMD processor is a lot slower than what I'd imagine the Power PC would be, but to run things on very high in native 1080p is quite impressive (except CoD, almost anything remotely modern can run that).

So yeah, we'll see a big difference compared to the 360 and PS3.

Plus, $199.99 for a 4850?

Doesn't stop the onslaught of stupid IGN comments though.

( Edited 14.05.2011 13:34 by Stulaw )

Image for

Seems like the N6 rumours made their way around the internet pretty damn fast(think it's actually #1 now), as seen in this chart for the most searched things on Yahoo. Smilie Oh yeah, I was shocked too that people actually still use Yahoo. Smilie

Btw, I refuse to call it "Wii 2" because it's certain that the N6 will have very little to do with the Wii brand. It's a strong brand but if they would call it like that, it would just scare off people who didn't like the Wii even though it's something completely different and that just wouldn't be worth it.

Wow, I feel so stupid. I had no idea what the name N6 was referencing till now...Anyways, why is it trending now?

Yeah, I doubt it will have anything to do with the Wii branding, especially since the majority of "non-gamers" or tech-illiterate people will just brand it as "Another Wii" and not buy it (referring to 3DS sales).

Still, I hope they don't name it Stream.

Wait a moment, why the outdated graphics card? My system has a HD 4850 in (admittedly without the awesome processor etc) but I got that for £80 a year and a half a go....Surely they would go for something a little more up to date?

It also makes me realise how awesome my system would be if I just upgraded the ram and CPU...

( Edited 16.05.2011 02:22 by Echoes221 )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Squidboy said:

When I'm doing nothing in university I rather play Street Fighter 2 or Super Mario World on the projectors rather than show fake Powerpoint presentations.

I like the fake Reggie sitting in front.

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Another Project Café hardware image has been "leaked" out. It shows the same design as we've seen previously. I'm actually starting to believe it really is the console now, though probably a prototype or development kit model. It just looks sort of weird to be the final design, in my opinion.

Those lights on the front do look a bit fake though.

Image for

( Edited 20.05.2011 10:54 by Marzy )

I still doubt it, I mean, why would the disc drive be at the bottom when it's the lightest part of the console? And why is it in the shape of Windows product cases?

The one thing you can say about Nintendo, is when was the last time they released an ugly console? ... virtual boy? If this is real (I'm not convinced) it's gottta just be a shell for developer units.

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

Stulaw said:
I still doubt it, I mean, why would the disc drive be at the bottom when it's the lightest part of the console? And why is it in the shape of Windows product cases?
Nintendo aren't releasing a new console, they're just rebranding Windows Vista.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.