Covers Better than Originals

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Post up a cover of a song, where YOU THINK (music is entirely subjective) that it's superior to the original.

Our member of the week

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPsU0x-u3Rk&feature=grec_index

( Edited 05.06.2011 18:04 by Ultima )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

I'm too thick to embed videos =(

( Edited 05.06.2011 21:06 by K i n )

Hello!

It's OK to not embed, but if you're not going to at least tell us what song it is and who's covering it. To actually embed stuff, it's simple. Under the video, press the 'share' button. After that, press the 'embed' button. Copy & paste the resultant text into C3.

This is sort of on topic, but it's sort of not. Yesterday I watched X Men First Class, which I thought was just good. One of the trailers was for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and they butchered Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song with a horrible cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yUwXwrR35U

I think Jeff Buckley's version of Hellelujah is better than Leonard Cohen's.

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Pretty much anything by Fretkillr. Fretkillr was a guy who did covers of various artists on guitar/harmonica (along with a few original tunes I believe) but was unfortunately banned from youtube for copyright infringement. However, pretty much all his videos have since been reuploaded by other people.

Here's his version of 'Don't think twice it's alright' (by Bob Dylan).

@Martin

Never would have guesses you'd be into Jamelia, lol.
Very good cover though.

My pick would be tainted love (Probably one of the most covered songs of all time) covered by Imelda May.

Not to be a pedant, but you do know that Tainted Love is not a Soft Cell original, yes? Their version is also a cover. The original version was performed by Gloria Jones in the 60s.

Still, Imelda May's version is great. I'm a fan of rockabilly (especially the clicking and slapping of that double bass!).

As for my liking Jamelia, why does it surprise you? I suppose you have me down as some kind of metal head or something because I play guitar. I'm a musician, and love all music. I don't look down upon pop artists. It's a silly notion anyway, as if metal bands and such aren't basically just as fabricated as pop acts. They are when it gets down to brass tax. The producer calls the shots at the end of the day, re-writing songs and such to make more profit, regardless of genre.

Plus, Jamelia is one of the most beautiful women out there in my opinion! I get a hard one whenever I see her on telly Smilie

Bottom line: If a piece of music does what it was designed to do, then regardless of whether I personally 'like' listening to it or not, I have to regard it as a good piece of music. If the latest trance anthem gets people dancing in clubs, it is a good piece of music, because it's fulfilling it's true purpose. I wouldn't listen to it at home, but that's not the environment it was intended for.

Here's one of N-Dubz covering 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved', and for me it's better than the original. It's a nice tight live performance too, showing that they indeed do have talent, despite naysayers.

"Dappy, what's four plus five?"

"Na, na, na, nana.. niiiine!"

Smilie They have a good sense of humour, too.

It's a nice tight live performance too, showing that they indeed do have talent, despite naysayers.

I would say it more to do with hating them, rather than anything to do with talent. I mean the guy in the silly hat acts a bit pathetic, from what I've seen and heard.

I don't deny they don't have talent though, I mean I wouldn't be able to do what they do. I just don't like their stuff at all, from what I've heard of it. A disgusting example of their work is below.

Still, I got told by some girl on You Tube that I was a "d*ckhead" in the process of sharing my "rude" opinion on some child rappers off Britain's Got Talent, so who am I to judge? Smilie

( Edited 06.06.2011 11:17 by Marzy )

Not to be a pedant, but you do know that Tainted Love is not a Soft Cell original, yes?

I do yes, came across it when I was looking for covers of the song.

I suppose you have me down as some kind of metal head or something because I play guitar.

I had you down as more of a punk head to be honest.

Plus, Jamelia is one of the most beautiful women out there in my opinion! I get a hard one whenever I see her on telly

That's why you like the song! Smilie

Not a huge fan of N-Dubz, your man looks like a twat and the female could do with looking less chavy.

Till The World Ends (Tyler Ward Acoustic Cover), I'm a huge Britney fan. Smilie

It's not about how they look, it's the sound they make. I don't care what they get up to in their private lives. That's their business. I only mentioned Jamelia's beauty because.. I don't know. Ha.

On the subject of covers, I think a good cover is when someone takes a song and makes it their own. Makes it sound like it was always them that had done it.

( Edited 06.06.2011 11:59 by Martin_ )

It's not about how they look, it's the sound they make.

I disagree, especially if you are going to see the said artist live, then it's all about how they look and presentation. An artist has it all, the look, the feel and the sound. In my opinion, if they can only sing then they are a singer, not an artist.

I don't care what they get up to in their private lives.

I dunno it depends on how much their lives influence their music. Great artists can draw upon their experiences for inspiration. I think the more hardships a person faces the more emotionally powerful the song can be. Take Adele for example.

On the subject of covers, I think a good cover is when someone takes a song and makes it their own. Makes it sound like it was always them that had done it.

Quite true.

I really like this cover, he makes great use of the sustainer and there are some brilliant arpeggios towards the end. I'm not a huge fan of virtuoso guitar playing, but this is amazing.

Spoilered for being extremely off-topic, and nothing but a reply to Birdo Smilie

( Edited 06.06.2011 13:45 by Martin_ )

@Martin

It is slightly off topic, but still kind of to the point. Smilie

( Edited 06.06.2011 15:35 by Birdo Is A Tranny )

Our member of the week

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Nice arrangement. Bravo!

K i n said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

I'm too thick to embed videos =(

This is what sprang to my mind as soon as I read the topic title, really nice cover. ^__^

The best version of Dire Dire Docks I've heard.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.