Zelda: Skyward Sword - Official Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Discuss The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), news, the latest pictures and videos!

Only just finished the third dungeon but haven't gone further. Seen the "bridge" scene but nothing beyond that.

Please tell me it picks up! Having great fun so far, but the story doesn't seem too involving at the moment.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

It picks up :]

SirLink said:

After hearing so many versions of this awesome song, I was only waiting for someone to make one in Mario Paint. Smilie

Love it. Smilie Thanks for sharing that with us.

Maxing the Pumpkin shooting is so easy.

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

The following comes from Eiji Aonuma in the latest Nintendo Power...

...Skyward Sword is a title where we took aim at all the conventions of the Zelda series. While that may have been difficult, I think that confronting those challenges resulted in something that has a great deal of value. When it comes to Wii U, we'll obviously want to add new elements that take advantage of the capabilities of the platform. I think using that as a lens through which we once again challenge the conventions of Zelda is more important than just making another Zelda game. With that in mind, please expect big things from the Zelda series to come!

Two new Zelda's in the works:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=167519&sid=529dbeaa5add187ffcea83e2f4dad80b

Listen to the 40min mark....

( Edited 01.12.2011 07:00 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Voice Acting

GI Interview: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/02/eiji-aonuma-and-koji-kondo-on-voice-acting-and-zelda-39-s-future.aspx

Kondo: The most important thing about the Zelda series is that the player becomes Link. One of the challenges with full voice is that if we’re trying to convey the player’s emotion through Link, but you hear Link talking in somebody else’s voice, that creates a disconnect between you and the role that you’re taking on.

Aonuma: ...if you create a game where everybody else in the game speaks but Link doesn’t, it emphasizes the fact that he is silent and draws even more attention to it. Of course, this was the first time we went with fully orchestrated songs in the game, and we’ve seen what that can do to help bring the world alive and make the game that much more fun. We’re continually looking at ways that we can evolve the series. We’re not confident that we can find the right balance with full voice, so we’ll see. (Jokingly) Everyone would be speaking Hylian, so even if you heard them speak, you wouldn’t understand them."

Aonuma also discussed what he saw in the future of the Zelda series...

Aonuma: I started working on the series not at the beginning but part-way through its history. I think because of that, early on I was more looking objectively at the series and how we could change small, individual elements within it, rather than looking at how the series should evolve. As time has passed ��" particularly in the last few years ��" I’ve started to think a lot more about how I can take the series and really make it my own Zelda and evolve it further. As Mr. Miyamoto has allowed me to take the reins on the Zelda series, ultimately that’s what I need to do. Perhaps some people will think it’s a little bit late for me to start thinking about that, but as time goes by, that’s becoming more of a theme in how I’m approaching the series.

Nintendo should develop a proper Hylian language like Trekies have done with Klingon.

Here's some Zeldery music...

( Edited 04.12.2011 07:19 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

The thing with full voice acting is that you'll never be able to call Link what you want, he'd always have to be called Link, even though it was a joke, I think the Hylian Language thing isn't a bad idea.

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Not really, Stu. FFX, a text heavy game, used full voice acting, never once calling Tidus' given name, and it worked perfectly fine.

Ok, where can I find the shooting range for the bow??!?! I'm about to enter the 6th dungeon, if that matters. Thanks. Smilie

Coincidently, Aonuma and Kondo discuss voice acting for Zelda here and also the future of the Zelda franchise.

Squidboy already posted about it... ignore. Smilie

( Edited 04.12.2011 00:24 by Marzy )

Finally completed The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword in approximately 45 hours.

Jesus. Christ. T^T

Spoiler about the end:

~Getting on C3's massive tits since 2K5.~

More info on game-breaking glitch (source).

Email response from Nintendo:

We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in a late-game , three-way branch quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.

The situation is caused by performing the following sequence of events during a late-game quest in which the game reaches an obvious 3-way branching point:

1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to talk to plot-relevant character (you'll know who this is when you get there)

2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron. You have to speak with him the first time to progress.

3. Complete the plot-relevant character's quest.

^^^
This stuff is alright to do.

DON'T DO THIS NEXT PART! IF YOU DO, BETTER PLAY THE SONG OF TIME!!!!
Before doing the other two parts of the quest, speak with GOLO THE GORON.
At this point, the next two quests will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.

Solutions:

• This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the other two parts of the quest have already been collected before beating the Lanayru Quest. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue if the quests have been completed already.

• If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.

I wish I had a better answer, but I'm afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny

Basically, don't talk to the Goron until after you've fully completed the three-branch quest.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

I need help with playing the song at the Pumpkin Pie. Before I snap the game in two and smash the controller into the wall and enjoy how it shatters in a thousand pieces.

THIS. IS. THE. WORST. MINIGAME. IN. A. ZELDA. EVER.
I'm doing it perfectly. PERFECTLY. I've been trying for over 45 minutes and it's driving me CRAZY.

So what the heck am I doing wrong? What I do is strum from left to right and back, following the hands of the spectators. MOst of the time slow, sometimes fast and sometimes a pause. And does the freestyle part matter?
I discovered I shouldn't follow the hands 100%: they do this stupid bouncing movement at the extreme left and right. I once tried to imitate that, but I got cut off halfway the song, so I figured that was wrong.

So now I've tried it for about 25 times. I get the timing exactly right, following the rythm for 99%. Sometimes the calibration messes up and I make a mistake because of that (I HATE THAT!).

So I think there ar 3 options:
- The game is clearly broken. You cannot beat it.
- You have to do it 100% correctly, which is pretty much impossible.
- I'm doing something wrong.

Please help me. Smilie Please please please please please please please please...... this minigame is making me hate the game SO much right now.

Oh and if this doesn't unlock the mentioned 'pumpkin shooting range', I'm going to scream. What torture is this anyway, giving you the best bow controls ever, but not showing you a shooting range.

Pumpkin shooting range? Don't you unlock that doing a sidequest for Fletch? I unlocked an arrow game doing so, where you have to shoot pumpkins with your bow.

As for this sidequest, I've not done it, so I have no idea on what advice I could give you. Good luck though.

A sidequest for Fletch... That sounds SO logical. I guess I'll have to revisit the whiny bastard again. Thanks for the help. Smilie
Bah, this pathetic minigame makes me hate the game so much and I don't want that. Smilie

( Edited 06.12.2011 12:07 by Canyarion )

Canyarion said:Oh and if this doesn't unlock the mentioned 'pumpkin shooting range', I'm going to scream. What torture is this anyway, giving you the best bow controls ever, but not showing you a shooting range.

If by that, you mean the pumpkin archery minigame, then I hate to tell you but this doesn't unlock anything. IIRC, all you get is a Piece of Heart.

I wish I could give you some good advice on how to beat this but I somehow got lucky the first time and I had no idea what I was doing.

Er, I have no idea what your problem is to be honest. I thought my attempt was rather mediocre but I passed first time.
I just tried to follow the hands of the guy on the left. I got slightly out of sync when they did the really fast left-right-left, but I always brought it back into line again.

My game must be broken then. I wonder if I can get a refund.

Seriously, you guys got it in your first/mediocre attempt and don't know how? I try 25 times (I actually started to register how much time each attempt takes), long enouth to remember the rythm by heart.
Pathetic. Broke game design.

Our member of the week

Here's what I did : I took down notes of every movement the two dudes make (since they're always the same) In the end I managed to get it perfectly (no mistake) without even looking at the screen.

There you are :

Image for
click on it to enlarge

The asterisk is when the girl starts singing. Pauses are when they stop moving briefly. faster is obviously when they move faster than the usual. simply listen to the rhythm of the music, and follow the movements (don't even look at the screen it can be misleading at times).

By the way, you don't need to do it perfectly to get the piece of heart; Doing it perfectly just awards you with 50 rupees.

Now my turn to ask SS professionals around here : Do you get something special from the bamboo cutting mini game if you beat the score of 43 ? Same question for the pumpkin shooting range when you beat the score of 600 ?

( Edited 06.12.2011 13:02 by Kafei2006 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Kafei2006 said:

Now my turn to ask SS professionals around here : Do you get something special from the bamboo cutting mini game if you beat the score of 43 ? Same question for the pumpkin shooting range when you beat the score of 600 ?

I haven't gotten a score of 43 in the bamboo cutting minigame (think I got close to 40 but cba trying to get 43) but it can't give you anything special because I reached 100% in the game without it. Probably just a rare treasure.

As for the pumpkin shooting range, you actually HAVE to get over 600 in order to get one of the most annoying heart pieces in the game. It certainly takes a few tries to get a wombo combo going and keeping the +50 score up for the majority of the time. Of course, once you get close to getting that score he starts throwing them ALL over the place. Very nice minigame indeed.

( Edited 06.12.2011 13:11 by SirLink )

Our member of the week

I thought I got all of the heart pieces Smilie. I got 24 of those.

EDIT : Forget I said anything SirLink, I got the heart piece from shooting range (not by much though). So I have at least 3 heart pieces left to get.

( Edited 06.12.2011 21:59 by Kafei2006 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Thanks, I'll give it another try. When I've gathered enough courage.

Well I finally completed it. Smilie 37-odd hours on the clock. It was a great game. Not perfect, but great. Now I can focus on polishing off the sidequests.

I have to rant this is possibly the worst Zelda game (on a console) of all time. The controls sometimes makes the game so irritating it's unplayable and the fact that the game is so geographically small it has bugged me the whole time playing the game.

TP was a better game than this and WW was definitely better than it too.

Saying that the addition of the stamina meter makes the game better and a welcome change to the Zelda series. It increases the amount of different puzzles the developers can create and varies gameplay.

I'm still not sure about the upgrade system it's definitely interesting but I don't like the idea of the item change it seems silly, running back and forth. They should have limited it to 1 bomb bag and 1 seed bag, why the fuck would you want any more than that? It's totally pointless.

Probably one of my biggest problem were the gadgets Link picks up during the game, they lack variation and in essence are all point and click. SO much more could have been done especially when you compare them to TP gadgets.

Overall this is a good game, but there was potential for it to be a lot better than it is. I actually thought GOTY would go to Skyward Sword but Skyrim definitely deserves it more.

I'm struggling to remember the last game that has been received so well by some and so bad by others. Usually that sort of divide falls between those who are fans of the series and those who aren't invested. But with Skyward Sword, doesn't seem to work like that.

Looking forward to picking it up at Christmas. And bravo to everyone for being so careful with spoilers, I've been trawling this thread for weeks and weeks (so if I did find any it would be my own fault really) - nothing. Smilie

I think I'll enjoy it simply because it's a deviation from the normal formula. Twilight Princess was mind-numbing at times. I mean you could see that plenty of work went into it, but when you know exactly what to expect, it sucks the life out of that game world.

Birdo Is A Tranny said:
I have to rant this is possibly the worst Zelda game (on a console) of all time. The controls sometimes makes the game so irritating it's unplayable and the fact that the game is so geographically small it has bugged me the whole time playing the game.

Those are two new criticisms as far as I'm aware. Is the game really that small? And I thought the controls were supposed to be pretty smooth?

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

Comment on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Developer

Nintendo

Publisher

Nintendo

Genre

Action Adventure

Players

C3 Score

Rated $score out of 10  10/10

Reader Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10 (28 Votes)

European release date Out now   North America release date Out now   Japan release date Out now   Australian release date Out now   
Site Feed
Who's Online?
mikem52

There are 1 members online at the moment.