Zelda: Skyward Sword - Official Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Discuss The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), news, the latest pictures and videos!

I think I'll enjoy it simply because it's a deviation from the normal formula. Twilight Princess was mind-numbing at times. I mean you could see that plenty of work went into it, but when you know exactly what to expect, it sucks the life out of that game world.

I would say it's not a huge departure, all things considered. There are significant differences, but it's still very much a Zelda game.

Those are two new criticisms as far as I'm aware. Is the game really that small? And I thought the controls were supposed to be pretty smooth?

I don't think it's that small really. I think it might seem small because you have to revisit areas. I MUCH prefer a smaller world with lots to do than a huge empty world anyway. As for the controls, they definitely take some getting used to, but after that it's all pretty tight. I've only had issues with jabbing, but even that works fine most of the time and isn't that important in the grand scheme of things anyway.

The Strat Man said:

Birdo Is A Tranny said:
I have to rant this is possibly the worst Zelda game (on a console) of all time. The controls sometimes makes the game so irritating it's unplayable and the fact that the game is so geographically small it has bugged me the whole time playing the game.

Those are two new criticisms as far as I'm aware. Is the game really that small? And I thought the controls were supposed to be pretty smooth?

If I had to try an explain it to you without spoiling it, Skyloft is like The Great Sea in Wind Waker but smaller. From there most of the action takes place on the ground, in 3 different, distinct and non-connected locations.

The controls are most annoying when in combat because it can get intense. Try to perform a sword thrust in the heat of battle is very annoying at first (I found holding my nunchuk close to my chest to steady it was the best way to perform a thrust). This game is ment to be played standing up.

Definitely get the special edition, the CD and the Wiimote are well worth it! Smilie

( Edited 08.12.2011 16:49 by Birdo Is A Tranny )

Our member of the week

Seriously... I litteraly threw my wiimote to the floor earlier tonight because of this game ! The minecart mini-game is so frustrating. I can't get under 1 minute and 5 seconds for the life of me. The best time I managed to get was 1:05.12 . Every so often (like at nearly every attempt I make), when I tilt the Wiimote left, Link leans to the complete opposite direction... in a mini game where you can't afford to lose time and need to gather as much acceleration as you can...

I'm depressed by this game, I don't even feel like going back to it knowing I might never get all the heart pieces because of this one simple mini game Smilie

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

@Kafei2006: I had the exact same problem and it took me at least 25 tries to get a 1:03:xx time. There is a point where you can choose which way you want to take, one of them is significantly faster than the other. I'm fairly certain it was the right one that's faster while it's near impossible to get the time with the left one.

I had problems with Link suddenly leaning in the opposite direction as well and to counter that I always centered my Wiimote position right after a turn because it usually happens when you want to go from a a left turn to a right turn or vice versa in one go.

Hope my advice is of any use to you, I know how frustratingly hard this can be. :/

Our member of the week

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try Smilie. As a matter of fact, if I managed to get so close to 1:05 by taking the left route (which "seemed" faster to me), then I might have a better chance with the right one. There's hope !

As you can imagine I was very frustrated getting so close to be done with that Nightmare of a mini-game and failing to do so Smilie. But I didn't try just 25 times though :/. I tried for over an hour to no avail Smilie

( Edited 10.12.2011 09:54 by Kafei2006 )

WHERE IS THE LAST BUG LOCATED? Honestly I have no idea where one of them lives. It's the bottom left one on the bug collection screen, anyone care to give me some insight into where I should be looking?

PS: I've just attempted the minecart game. The first 5 or so tries were all 1:08, did it sixth time. My advice would be to concentrate on the jumps, as your angle can make a big difference on them. And I didn't have any problems with Link leaning the wrong way.

( Edited 11.12.2011 14:44 by Cheesing it up )

I haven't read any of this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned but did anyone else not get a Club Nintendo points card in their Skyward Sword special edition set? I got mine of GAME's website and i got a Spanish version of the game...annoying..but even they have the same Club Nintendo as us so it is kinda strange...

We all got a Club Nintendo slip from what I've heard from the others. Was it sealed with those round sticky labels on the top? And it's definitely just a Spanish copy? They shouldn't be selling you that man.

So what do C3ers think of this game? I know next to nothing about it.

Azuardo said:
We all got a Club Nintendo slip from what I've heard from the others. Was it sealed with those round sticky labels on the top? And it's definitely just a Spanish copy? They shouldn't be selling you that man.

I was thinking this as well. It was a sealed copy and i got it a few days after release from the site. As for the actual copy it has the pink triangle on the back which i think is the Spanish copy,although upon further inspection there is more German on there, although its primary language is English it has the a lot of languages on the back. (German, French, Dutch, Spanish, Portugese, Italian and Russian!)

As we trade as a European Union i don't think there is anything i can do about this import? It's not really illegal is it?

Unless you have BBFC ratings on yours? I have a PEGI and a USK...but this could spiral into a sub-topic of its own really! Anyone else order off GAME.Co.uk and get the same thing?

Oh, no, you do have the same copy as the rest of us then. We all have the USK rating and pink triangle. But obviously if your Club Nintendo slip isn't in there, that's not right.

Ah right, fair enough then. It is a little bit skanky, but then i think about all the ones i have gotten in preowned games and i count myself fortunate.

Thanks for clearing that up though

Our member of the week

Thanks to SirLink and Cheesing it up for the advices, I succeeded at last Smilie.

Image for

The posters should appear on our Club Nintendo soon, they're arriving in the US next year. I paid £25 for my Wind Waker one...

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

"We will want to use the Wii Motion-Plus controls that we did not use this time in future games, so we cannot tell you now. Please look forward to seeing them in the future." - Eiji Aonuma

Club Nintendo Japan:

( Edited 14.12.2011 18:58 by Squidboy )

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744
Our member of the week

Finally beat the game Smilie, and completed everything.

I saw in the credits Monolith Soft was mentioned. I wonder how they contributed to it

( Edited 15.12.2011 23:58 by Kafei2006 )

Recognise the sword?...

Image for
3DS Code 2578-3122-0744
Our member of the week

( Edited 16.12.2011 11:41 by Kafei2006 )

Looks like Nintendo will patch the glitch, so when I play it come Christmas, I might just have to download it if it's out by then.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/121/1214853p1.html

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw
Our member of the week

That's not a patch, that's a program to repair the glitched sava data. You only need it if you come accross the glitch. If you don't then you don't even need to download it.

Bottom line, they won't fix the glitch (except in every future copies to come out of their production lines), they just offer a solution for those who are having problems with their save data because of the glitch.

( Edited 16.12.2011 15:01 by Kafei2006 )

Oh well, I'll just avoid the glitch then, it's easily done.

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Just got home from university earlier this evening, the game was waiting for me. I just moved rooms and in the process I lost my HDTV for the old standard def living room TV - part of an 'exchange' deal that got me my iMac last month. The game looks fantastic on this old TV, but I can see a lot of bluring in the background, I get the feeling this looks pretty awful blown up on a big HDTV? Really would like to look into this Dolphin emulator but it sounds like a lot of maintenance is required (especially on Mac) which puts me off greatly. That said, those HD shots of Skyward Sword look fantastic. So who knows.

Have barely scratched the surface - about an hour in, just opened up the first land area. Control wise I feel like motion plus finally has a reason to exist. The stamina meter is a nice addition but I agree that the screen in general is hugely cluttered. I vaguely recall somebody mentioning you can switch it all off, which I think I'll do once I get the hang of the controls a bit more.

The cutscenes strike me as quite a step up for Nintendo and Zelda, though still massively underwhelming in comparison to most other games of the genre. But as always, the character of the game seems far more important and I like the little things I'm learning about the series I grew up with - e.g. why Link wears his green tunic. I also really like the more intimate interaction with Zelda. Helps Link feel a bit more animate.

Tomorrow I'm going to put in a solid session on it. Can't wait.

Disagree it's the best looking game on Wii, Mario Galaxy 2 still takes that hands down for me. But design wise, it seems pretty breathtaking so far. Can only imagine what I'll come across down there. Twilight Princess felt very dreary after Wind Waker, so it's nice to return to something reminiscent of the latter. Honestly I think TP should have been cel-shaded too - realistic Ocarina of Time style game could have waited until high def.

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

The blurry backdrops are done on purpose to give the waterpainting effect. Jaggies are much more pronounced on HD sets for most people, so SDTVs are preferrable, as with all Wii games.

Ok, so I'm about 10 hours in (in the middle of the Earth Temple), and here are here's what I think so far.

Motionplus works great with everything, but sometimes I just want to get past the enemies without spending so much time analyzing their every moves.

The story is sort of weak so far. It's not really engaging and right now I have little interest in it. The npc's are really quirky and hilarious though.

I don't like flying. At least with windwaker there were tons of islands to explore, and tons of side events (like pirates or whirlpools). And at least you could put down the controller and do something else simultaneously. With SS, there's only 5 islands worth going to, pretty much nothing happens when you're flying, and you have to constantly pay attention, cuz if you put the controller down, the bird will start to go in circles or something.

Getting on to ladders is surprisingly sometimes really annoying, but I guess that's nitpicking.

The soundtrack is great, but it's more atmospheric like Hans Zimmer, rather than melodic like John Williams. Zelda's soundtracks usually fall into the latter category. This sort of sucks cuz I really wanted the songs to be more memorable.

The graphics are great, except for when there are closeups, but I can forgive that.

The first temple wasn't exciting. I don't even remember what it was called lol.

It is really good, but I'm still waiting for those spectacular moments that will blow me away. I guess that's it for now.

Comment on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Developer

Nintendo

Publisher

Nintendo

Genre

Action Adventure

Players

C3 Score

Rated $score out of 10  10/10

Reader Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10 (28 Votes)

European release date Out now   North America release date Out now   Japan release date Out now   Australian release date Out now   
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.