The Legend of Zelda Discussion

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Image for

This thread is for discussing all things Zelda. Feel free to share any new info you find about upcoming games here, as well as discuss the series in general. Talk about the best and worst of the series, your hopes for future games, etc. Please keep all potential spoilers in spoiler tags. We have threads for each individual game, so please click the game below to be taken directly to its official topic, and to keep specific game discussion in the relevant thread, avoiding spoilers here.

1986 — The Legend of Zelda
1987 — The Adventure of Link
1991 — A Link to the Past
1993 — Link's Awakening
1998 — Ocarina of Time
———— Link's Awakening DX
2000 — Majora's Mask
2001 — Oracle of Seasons
———— Oracle of Ages
2002 — A Link to the Past & Four Swords
———— The Wind Waker
2004 — Four Swords Adventure
———— The Minish Cap
2006 — Twilight Princess
2007 — Phantom Hourglass
2009 — Spirit Tracks
2011 — Ocarina of Time 3D
———— Four Swords Anniversary Edition
———— Skyward Sword
2013 — The Wind Waker HD
———— A Link Between Worlds
2014 — Hyrule Warriors
2015 — Majora's Mask 3D
———— Zelda for Wii U

The official Zelda timeline:

Image for

( Edited 11.02.2015 11:16 by Azuardo )

As a Nitendo gamer I have a severe lack of gaming within Nintendo's core franchises. I've completed two of those; Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass. I'm on the last tower dungeon on Spirit Tracks - Pitch black dungeons are fucking dull. And I'm on the Forest temple on OoT 3D - of which I've played 8 hours or so today since I got it.

As it stands (before I've completed the other two), Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda game. It took me around 35 hours or so to get through it, and was technically my first Zelda game that I completed over the course of a year (in two bursts). I loved the environments especially Sky Town (the grappling was awesome) and Gerudo Desert with the spinner. It had a huge overworld, and I enjoyed the light/dark mix. Your sword was also given a load of extra flair and cool moves. Though I disliked two of the 'dungeons' a fair bit - the Snowy Yeti one (though I enjoyed the boss - the wolves were annoying) and the one where you have to control the statues. The ending was satisfying too.

Ocarina of Time is slowly worming its way in though - I have to say, the Forest Temple music is very annoying.

My favourite Zelda? ARGH! I'm leaning towards OoT, but I'll have to get back to you on that.

As for my least favourite, it's Majora's Mask easily. I know that may shock people, but really I had no idea what the hell was going on in that game. It didn't give you any directions on what to do or where to go and then after a couple of hours it sends you back in time and you're back to square one.

I've said it a hundred times, Oracle of Seasons is my favourite Zelda game of all time. It is in my honest opinion how a 2D Zelda game should play. Then after finishing the game and linking it up with Ages was brilliant. You felt like you were on a massive quest.
Plus you got to play as a kangaroo, a kangaroo!

My favourite Zelda item of all time would probably be Roc's Cape or the Spinner.

Worst Zelda? Phantom Hourglass.
Horrible, horrible, game.

Birdo Is A Tranny said:

But it had Linebeck in! Smilie

Linebeck was the only good thing about it. The rest was completely dull and it's definitely one the worst Zelda's I've ever played.

I could never get into Majora's Mask either, so that's also another I didn't like very much.

The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time are my joint favourites.

Cheesing it up said:
Birdo Is A Tranny said:

But it had Linebeck in! Smilie

I hated Linebeck, if anything he made the game worse.

PH looks like a shitty indie game compared to WW.

What's the bet that Nintendo do a Majora's Mask 3D? They have all the groundwork done for OoT 3D. I would buy it as I've never played it before. I don't want my 3DS chock full of ports, but it seems like they are keen on bringing over and remaking some of the better N64 games over. Shame that we won't get Perfect Dark or Goldeneye though :/

I can see a couple more N64 ports coming. I agree, I don't want it full of ports, but we'll get MM and then hopefully they can use the same engine for a brand new one.

I like how Birdo says Oracle of Seasons. That was the Oracle game I had for many years, whilst my mate had Ages, so I preferred Seasons. Those two games were definitely the best 2D Zeldas. So many characters, minigames, humour, unique items, clever puzzles, great music, and just pure fun. Working with Capcom for this was one of the best decisions Nintendo has made. It's one of the reasons I really want them to work with Capcom on a 3D game - maybe the next original 3DS Zelda.

Will post my fave Zelda later.

On the subject of ports, one Zelda that would work really well with Wii U would be Wind Waker. The U pad would be ideal as your sea chart when sailing the sea. No need to bring it up whilst sailing along; it's one of those games where you can let Link sail and still spend a good deal of time looking at the controller screen. Could zoom in on each segment, and draw on the map specific locations you want to come back to later. It's the perfect fit, and would keep the game going without continuous pausing.

On that note, I'm desperate for a new Celda. Can't stop imagining WW graphics on the Wii U.

Its tough but my favourite ones are:

Majoras mask, Oot and Link to the past very closely followed by twilight princess and wind waker.

I wonder how Skyward sword will fare.

Wii Code: 6399-3866-6269-0745
PSN: SherWiinator Currently playing: LOZ: SS
Wishlist: Last Story, Pandora's tower, Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3

Ocarina of Time

Anonymous (guest) 16.06.2011#12

My Top 5 Favorite Zelda Games

1. Ocarina of TimeSmilie
2.Majoras Mask
3. Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess
5. Oracle of Seasons

Well I understand it's hard to choose just one favourite for most people so I won't force people to vote for only one. Will do a quick count though at some point to get an idea of what is most people's fave. Rather than make a strict vote, they can just be topics for the thread from now on to keep discussion up.

For the longest time I've always said Majora's Mask is my fave Zelda, marginally. The departure from Ganon and the like was good for the series, and the dark and gloomy plot was welcoming and refreshing. They reused the same NPCs, but it gave us a better insight into their characters and personalities too. It was really interesting to delve deeper into the likes of Malon's self through Romani and Cremia, and see the fear, desire, drive and love come out of people in the events leading up to the destruction of the world. It really sent out messages to the player. And despite what people might think, there was a lot more going on with the story than first meets the eye, especially once you get to the moon and see the children with the masks.

But it wasn't just the story for me. It improved on what I think Zelda should be much more about, namely exploration and side quests. Dungeons will always be a big part of Zelda, but finding them and opening them is just as important, and has been since Zelda 1. I loved how much there was to do in between dungeons. It wasn't one dungeon after another; there was much more exploration and mini-dungeons of sorts before the big ones. And I can't forget the unique 3-day game mechanic either. Sure, it had its problems if you missed a specific event on the 3rd day and you had to rewind back to day 1 again, but for the most part, its completely new take on how to interact with everybody's daily schedules was awesome.

It's these reasons that I love MM so much and hope Skyward Sword is on a similar level.

That said, Wind Waker is very close behind. The freedom of sailing and the feeling you get is brilliant, and the cel-shaded graphics make this one of the most beautiful games in existence. Only thing that let it down for me was how easy it was, and was perhaps in need of a bigger piece of land and the extra dungeons that were cut. And despite it being Ganon/Zelda again, the story was really good.

Big shout outs to the Oracles games. Best 2D Zeldas and in dire need of another on the same level.

( Edited 20.06.2011 01:04 by Azuardo )

Inb4OoT BlowsDaPollsUp Smilie

Links Awakening was always my favorite game. Until the Oracle games came out. Always liked Ages more then Seasons though.

Loved the fact, they made Seasons more action oriented, & Ages with the puzzles.

Dimitri was my favorite companion.

I really wanted to love Majora's Mask, I really did. The story is the best I've played in any video game, and by the time you get to the kids with masks, it gets so crazy, deep, and philosophical. There were so many characters who you felt for, especially knowing that they're gonna die soon. The 3 day system was a delightful surprise, as were the new locations. I also loved the different masks and the stories behind them. But there was one thing that held me back. The dungeons.

Woodfall Temple was ok, it felt pretty bland. Snowhead Temple could've been great, but near the top where you have to roll around as Goron Link got so annoying. You had to be precise, other wise you'd fall down and redo whole parts of the dungeon. Great Bay Temple was the worst level of any video game I've played. Horrible design with moving around water. Horrible graphics and textures with the ugly pipes that felt like they should be in Mario, not Zelda. Horrible mini boss with the stupid jelly lizard thing. Horrible final boss with atrocious camera angles and way too many fricken blind shots.

I really liked the Stone Tower Temple though. That was a blast.

Willy Wonker (guest) 20.06.2011#16

Mah boi, my favourite Zelda is Link: The Faces of Evil!

Top 5 Zeldas for moi:

Ocarina of Time
Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Spirit Tracks
Wind Waker

I second the call for a MM remake also, and afterwards a new Hero of Time game covering how he became the Hero's Shade, for what would be an epic trilogy of Zeldas. Smilie

Double post, yay. Just wanted to highlight one of my favourite Zelda gifs. Smilie

Image for

My favourite Zelda's are pretty standard, probably not the order most people expect, but these are out of the ones I've actually finished.

1. Wind Waker
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Twilight Princess
4. A Link to the Past
5. Phantom Hourglass

I've yet to complete Majora's Mask, and although I liked the first Zelda, it wasn't great.

Nice gifs Shane.

One of the weirdest scenes I've seen in a Zelda game.

( Edited 23.06.2011 12:29 by Stulaw )

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Mind = FUCKING BLOWN. Watch this video at your own risk...because you might not recover from the compressed awesomeness.

Aonuma on potential Majora's Mask 3D:

After playing Ocarina of Time 3D, the next question that comes to mind is: Will we get a Majora's Mask remake next?

Would you like to play such a remake?

Well, Yes!

It's been 13 years since Ocarina of Time was originally released, and one of the big things that we made this remake possible was that there was an outpour of emotions from people who said they would like to see this game done. We said we could do it in 3D, so we did. I think certainly if there was a similar output of emotion and clamor from fans for a remake of Majora's Mask, it wouldn't be an utter impossibility.

Thinking on it now, having a handheld Majora's Mask where you could kind of just set things down on your own time - close it, set it aside and come back to it later - might be a game play element some fans will actually take to and might really appreciate. Especially considering how you really had to rush through the original game, in a sense.

Wow, that would be fucking awesome. Majora's Mask definitely deserves the same treatment, just as much as Ocarina of Time. It may be very similar to it but it's such a different experience at the same time. If Grezzo is handling the remake again while Nintendo's own Zelda team is working on a new 3DS Zelda, I'm all for it.

Since he said he wants to see similar emotion and clamor from the fans, how about we start... Operation Moonfall? XD

PS: Azuardo, you still have the courage to visit ZeldaInformer? I jumped off ZeldaDungeon a while ago when Skyward Sword spoilers started flying around everywhere.

I'd love to see Majora's Mask. Even better would be a Majora's Mask Master Quest. Smilie

Much like Echoes, despite growing up on these games, I've completed very few. Wind Waker, Four Swords, The Minish Cap and Twilight Princess. But I spent a hell of a lot of time with Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past - and I think my fave is probably OoT.

Been trying to find a standard def TV specifically to setup my N64 with OoT. Definitely need to complete it and still not convinced by the 3DS. Oh and I do expect Majora's Mask for the 3DS eventually - that game came pretty late in the 64's lifetime, I'm sure Nintendo won't miss an opportunity to get a classic out to the masses (i.e. make moneys).

( Edited 24.07.2011 12:30 by Soundworks )

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

I'm really torn.

On the one hand Ocarina of time is a classic and groundbreaking game. On the other hand I think Twilight Princess took everything that made Ocarina good and improved on it. Better graphics, bigger world, better story and amazing atmosphere.

I think it a criminally underated game which gets a lot of stick for being too much like it's predecessor. Since when was being too much like a great game bad? All Zelda games are very much like each other in structure and gameplay! Yeah, sure, it didn't innovate in anyway, but it improved on past itterations in lots of little ways.

In the end, I think I'm gonna have to say I think Twilight Princess is my favourite, but only just.

A close second would have to go to Ocarina and third Wind Waker.

I agree with some others that Majora's Mask was hard to get into.
I had real problems with it. The structure of it in particular. I played quite far through and saved it, not to return to it fow a few weeks. When I came back to it I didn't known what I was supposed to do next and forgot how to do some things. In the end I gave up because I couldn't be bothered to trawl through the game trying find where I was up to, or what I was supposed to do.

( Edited 24.07.2011 14:01 by Trepe )

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.