Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64) 3D Official Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Image for

That's a long title, but I love the Lylat Wars name and wish they had have kept the name in Europe. It's less of a mouthful to say, as well.

So, Lylat Wars 3D comes out next Friday. What seemed like it'd be a long wait, with it coming out in Japan much earlier, has gone quicker than I expected. Who's planning on buying this fantastic Nintendo title on launch and are you excited? Perhaps this will be your first time experiencing Lylat Wars, what are your expectations of it?

This thread can be used to discuss the game and perhaps be used to post up your highscores and such. It's a real shame there's no online in it. There was no excuses, even Command had that feature and that's a DS game.

Hits Leaderboard

Nintendo 64 Mode

Kafei - 1461
Marzy - 1240

Nintendo 3DS Mode

Marzy - 942
Mush - 909
SirLink - 661

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Release Dates

Japan: July 14, 2011
North America: September 9, 2011
Europe: September 9, 2011
Australia: September 15, 2011

Images

Image for
Image for
Image for
Image for

Videos

Enjoy!

( Edited 19.09.2011 15:49 by Marzy )

Our member of the week

It's confirmed now that the game will be released with a different VA for each language. The french one sucks Smilie !
I hope there will be an option to revert to English, or why not, even Japanese.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Wait, seriously? I really hope there's an option for English VA as well. I have yet to hear "Do a barrel roll!" while playing the game myself and I don't want to hear some crappy German translation of that. Last time I've heard German VA was in Red Steel 2 and I felt the urge to jump out of my window every time.

If it doesn't have the option then I'll actually get an UK copy from ebay or somewhere else. For some reason I've started disliking my mother tongue more and more; my Wii is actually set to English now as well.

( Edited 31.08.2011 18:45 by SirLink )

Our member of the week

I haven't heard German VA for this, but if French was made, I'm pretty sure that German is planned as well. Whether it's an option or not remains to be determined though. Makes me anxious for when I'll get my copy, because if there's no option and you're stuck with your own country language, then I'll try to import a UK copy ASAP.

I know this doesn't directly have anything to do with the game but I still found it funny as hell, I couldn't stop laughing for almost the entire video. XD

Squidboy (guest) 03.09.2011#6

I'll see you guys online for some Starfox MP action.

I think i'll use my old avatar for this game.

Unfortunately, there isn't any online mode.

Our member of the week

That was brilliant SirLink XD. Smilie

The lack of online is really bewildering, especially since they've replaced the old Lylat Wars vs mode with a Command-like multiplayer.

360 Gamertag: shiptoncraig
PSN: shiptoncraig
Steam: Guess what?

The visual upgrades are impressive, Solar especially looks amazing, as does the water on Corneria. I can't wait to see how some of the other stages look, particularly Venom.

Our member of the week

Some of the stages in the original had some very ugly blurry textures (so that the system could handle more flying objects on the screen, no doubt). So to me, the enhanced textures alone will surely have a bigger impact on the whole than on Ocarina of Time for example.

Squidboy (guest) 04.09.2011#12

Curses!, lol. Damn Nintendo, after that advert of theirs implied that it did. There's little point to being able to see players reactions when you can hear and see them. I'll still get it...but i'm in no rush now.

Squidboy (guest) 04.09.2011#13

Haha, now that I think about it, I do actually remember being pissed off post-E3 because of the lack of online MP. I must have buried this bad news in the back of my mind, then assumed the best when I saw the latest advert on 3DS Smilie.

This makes MK even more important, It HAS to run as smooth as the Wii game does online. 3DS software updates lessen my fear, but around the Xmas period servers could go red hot very easily. There's a lot riding on the impression the game will give to owners.

I can't wait to play some Cubed 3 members at Mario Kart 7 online. If it's anything like the Wii version, the online component will eat up many hours of my time.

Christmas will be exciting this year. Smilie

IGN's review is now up.

( Edited 04.09.2011 23:28 by Marzy )

I've added a hits leader board to the opening post, so we can get a little more competitive with the game. Posting a screenshot of your score would make it more legit, but I think we can trust each other without one.

I got the game yesterday and I've played through it four times already! The visual upgrades are very nice and overall, it has some nice upgrades over the original. The circle pad certainly takes a bit of getting used to, compared to the original and in turn makes the game more challenging. I'm still not sure what the difference is between the 3DS mode and N64 mode, they both play the same to me.

The voice acting and music is certainly a little worse, in my opinion, but it's not that bad that it ruins the game or anything. It all still very much enjoyable. Smilie

The Score Attack mode might be even better to have leaderboards for.

( Edited 10.09.2011 11:38 by Marzy )

Marzy said:
I've added a hits leader board to the opening post, so we can get a little more competitive with the game. Posting a screenshot of your score would make it more legit, but I think we can trust each other without one.

I got the game yesterday and I've played through it four times already! The visual upgrades are very nice and overall, it has some nice upgrades over the original. The circle pad certainly takes a bit of getting used to, compared to the original and in turn makes the game more challenging. I'm still not sure what the difference is between the 3DS mode and N64 mode, they both play the same to me.

The voice acting and music is certainly a little worse, in my opinion, but it's not that bad that it ruins the game or anything. It all still very much enjoyable. Smilie

The Score Attack mode might be even better to have leaderboards for.

I read through the manual because I was unsure too, Marzy. Here's what I managed to pull out.
Nintendo 3DS Mode - This mode is balanced to compliment the new gyro controls and the Circle Pad.
Nintendo 64 Mode - Recreates the original challenge of Star Fox 64.
Expert Mode - This is the challenging expert mode from Star Fox 64. This mode must be unlocked before you can play it.
I've played through about 3 stages, due to spending most of my time on Dead Island. I'm really loving the look of Fichina/Fortuna.. the snow looks amazing. Water effects are stunning on Corneria, too.

Has anyone played with the gyro controls yet? Also, am I the only one who prefers inverted Circle Pad controls? Smilie

Heh, don't have the game, but watched the training video from the game and noticed they said push the circle pad up to go up. Nah, Star Fox has always used inverted up/down as default, so I will always use that.

Azuardo said:
Heh, don't have the game, but watched the training video from the game and noticed they said push the circle pad up to go up. Nah, Star Fox has always used inverted up/down as default, so I will always use that.
Yeah, I thought it did. First time I played this version, I was like... hmm, I'm sure it wasn't up = up, down = down in the original. Thankfully there's the option to change it. :3

Total hits (3DS Mode) = 580. Took the easiest route, btw... can't remember how to take the other two routes. Been a little while since I played this game.

( Edited 10.09.2011 23:15 by Mush123 )

Thing is, at E3, Miyamoto joked that if you're used to playing games where up = up, you grew up playing Sega games, and if you're used to up = down, you grew up playing Nintendo games. Completely contradicted that by making the default in SF643D up = up!

Our member of the week

I have only been playing the first three stages of the hard path (Corneria -> Sector Z -> Aquas -> and tried a bit of Zoness)... and started over because I was so disappointed by my own scores XD.

I found very disappointing that you can't change the language of the VA from inside the game Smilie. I wanted to play it with french texts for the menus while having the voice acting in English, just like I did on the N64, but changing the language of the VA can only be done if you change the language of your system altogether. Pity.

And so this is for SirLink who was reportedly holding off before he knew for sure about the VA : You'll be able to change the language to English on your copy bought in Austria if you change the language of your 3DS to English Smilie.

I'll post a personal score when I actually manage to get a decent one, but I'm mostly fighting against the controls ATM, because they feel so different from the good old N64 pad Smilie. Also I'm busy trying to finally complete Xenoblade before I fully shift my efforts towards graduation Smilie.

EDIT : Has anyone been able to change the button setup ? Am I the only one who thinks it's super annoying that bombs are on the Y button when they should be on the B button like on N64 ?

EDIT 2: Nevermind. Found that Type B controls + Reversed Y axis fits the N64 style the best Smilie.

( Edited 10.09.2011 23:41 by Kafei2006 )

Kafei2006 said:
Has anyone been able to change the button setup ? Am I the only one who thinks it's super annoying that bombs are on the Y button when they should be on the B button like on N64 ?

There are only two types of action button set up -
Type A:
X - Boost
A - Laser
B - Brake
Y - Bomb
Type B:
X - Boost
A - Brake
B - Laser
Y - Bomb

I personally prefer Type A myself. Having boost set as X (Top action button) and brake set as B (Bottom action button) is so much easier. I also prefer using A as laser, rather than B.

Our member of the week

It's just that I find really hard to send homing bombs with Type A, which then requires holding down A while pressing Y .. which is nearly impossible to do with your thumb without accidentally pressing either B or X.

Homing bombs come in handy for scoring on some particular stages.

( Edited 10.09.2011 23:59 by Kafei2006 )

Kafei2006 said:
It's just that I find really hard to send homing bombs, which requires holding down A while pressing Y with Type A... which is nearly impossible to do with one finger without accidentally pressing either B or X.

Homing bombs come in handy for scoring on some particular stages.

You don't need to hold down A and press Y at the same time. After letting go of A, you stay locked on to your target for a split second, giving you the chance to move your finger over and press Y. Smilie

Our member of the week

That's just not the way I was used to on N64. I'm pretty sure on N64 you had no split second to do so, once you let go of A, you shot your charged laser which is what you'd expect, since you're trying to shoot down stuff as fast as possible.

Letting go of A to move your thumb over to Y just doesn't seem as intuitive to me, but... that's just me Smilie.

Also, I found, so far, that charged shot, and most particularly bombs don't seem to clear as many enemies at once as they used to in the original.

( Edited 11.09.2011 00:06 by Kafei2006 )

Reading this, I was sad there's no custom control setup (all games should have this!), as I wanted to use SNES Star Fox controls. Then I realised about the homing bombs and Type B sounds best. But yeah, I think the locking on and still letting go to bomb worked on the 64 game.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Steven M

There are 1 members online at the moment.