Racing Games?

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 28.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Is it just me or is there a worrying lack of racing games on the GC? Okay, perhaps not racing games in general, but decent racing games.

I can list:

Xtreme G
Burnout/2
Need For Speed: Underground
Mario Kart
F Zero

Erm...and is that it? If anyone can restore my confidence and name some more titles I'll be relieved Smilie

Trying to think of a witty signature after 'Hacker-gate'...

*whistles*
*runs away*

Smilie

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Quite the opposite - The GameCube has the two best racing games of all - Mario Kart Double Dash and F-Zero GX - they compliment each other so well that other racing games are just bonuses.

Right...you call Mario Kart Double Dash one of the best racing games of all? It is just over average after more than 2 weeks of playing it. A lot of the tracks are mundane, the controls can be nasty and the computer cheats like its going out of fashion. The mutiplayer is alright, but the whole thing falls waaay short of being a great game.

F-Zero though, now thats a title Smilie

And it is a problem if the GC lacks games in a genre like racing, the XBOX and PS2 don't, does that perhaps speak volumes for:

1) an image problem?
2) a reluctance amongst devlopers?

It's a general problem for Nintendo...and the DS doesn't look to change matters, since Namco is bringing Tekken and Ridge Racer to the PSP, but not the DS, and Konami is bringing Metal Gear Ac!d over to Sony's handheld not the DS...

In fact Hideo Kojima, the f*cking w*nker, has gone on record to say that the DS will never get any Metal Gear games because it's probably only going to appeal to the traditional Nintendo 'kiddie' audience!

WHAT THE F*CK?

Giving the system the tag of 'kiddie' before it even hits the market? Okay Kojima-san, where's your Nintendo respect buggered off to then? F*cking monkey-r*ping b*stard...

Smilie Smilie Smilie

Adam Riley [ Director :: Cubed3 ]

UNITE714: Weekly Prayers | Bible Verses

Well, Konami are full of idiots but I think Kojima is generally a good guy - he just appears bad because he's working for a bad company.

Mario Kart Double Dash and F-Zero GX - neither are perfect games, but together provide all the racing entertainment you could ever wish for. MKDD is really great in multiplayer but crap in single player - and F-Zero GX is really great in single player but crap in multiplayer. Combine the two and you have the best of both worlds.

I just really do disagree with the narrow-mindedness of Kojima at times...he only agreed to MGS: TTS on the GC because Shigsy said 'Work with me, please'...

Burnout 2 takes the racing biscuit for me. MK: DD bored me to much, even F-Zero GX didn't live up to the N64's extraordinary iteration...I wish Nintendo would release the revamped version of Rev Limit that it and Seta has stored away under lock and key!

Smilie

The fact that the GameCube isn't getting Burnout 3 speaks huge volumes, doesn't it? You have to take into account that the same thing happened on the N64 with both racing and beat-'em-up titles. Its all very annoying, but something that will continue to happen until Nintendo's masterplan for Third Party World Domination shifts into place.

It is already happening with EA, so hopefully more can follow with a little persuasion Smilie

Beamy is right... together, MKDD and F-Zero make a perfect combination.
What good racing games are there on other consoles. Even a racing fan would only buy 2 realistic racing games.

to me, the argument that GC is short of good racing games is ridiculous.
GC has the two best recers of the generation, and they're different in speed, graphics, challenge, best number of players...they compliment eachother perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Duffman ~~~~~~~~~
"If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything", Daniel Dennett

Hey you missed out Ridge Racer and...Crash Nitro Kart...and I loved MK: DD, the multiplayer was great, tracks hectic and was overall really enjoyable, though I still need to look into F-Zero. But I was under the impression Namco and Nintendo were back together...I guess not... Smilie

So back together that Tekken 5 has been announced as PS2-exclusive...

Smilie

Well, personly i'm not a big racing fan, so i think the current list of titles we have will suffice! Smilie

The only problem is, blizz, that if such a popular genre is lacking from a system, then other popular genres tend to disappear as well...

You did miss out on quite a few Tempo, as sharpshot pointed out there is Ridge Racer - my mate has it and from the breif 15 mins I played it was pretty good. The poly's in the cars and reflect technology looks as good as it has to i.e. pretty good. Then there's V-Rally, a WRC game (can't remeber the name), ATV Quad 2, a host of bike games and now the stunning looking (and I think GC exclusive) Lotus Extreme. All in all the racing games situation on the GC isn't perfect but it is overlooked.

There is the best multiplayer racer - MKSmilieD, fact. PGR2 and live aren't as good, better with real friends!

The best futuristic racer - F-Zero, fact. Wipeout looks like a very crud PS1 game next to it and plays like a bag o spuds! XG isn't bad but not a scratch on F-Zero.

The best Arcade racer (bar F-Zero!) with Burnout 2, EA will probably destroy 3 even if it does make it to the Cube!

And with a few pretty decent realistic titles out there I think Lotus Extreme has a good chance of taking on the best. OK all i've seen is the breif game page that came in a few mins ago, but I have a strange feeling this'll be a great game and also fun to play, last time I had a strange feeling about something it happened (C3 gold prize winner!). I reckon it has a chance of challenging the GT series, which IMO is pretty poor. Looks all nice and polished and there's alot to do off the track but on the track is as boring as watching a Conservative Party Political Broadcast!

Barry Lewis [ nin10do :: General Writer :: Feature Writer :: Fountain of Industry Statistics ]
"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh."

The fact that you chose MKSmilieD over PGR2 shows your taste in racers,

Some people and I must admit that although I am not a real racing/car fan I enjoy this too, like customising their cars, or driving realistically, Take the colin Mcrae series, the latest one is superb, but its all about the technicallities, the way you take a corner and raect on different materials,

Some people dont want to race against dinosaurs and using the very realistic method of Mushrooms to increase speed

ERM.....I said the best multiplayer racing game! I'll admit PGR2 has more options and longevity in the one player mode, I never dispute that but MKSmilieD is a far better multiplayer game. I for one would rather have a multiplayer game with mates that speak to someone in the US using some cheesy voice mask. And it's just more fun, the whole reason we play multiplayer games!

Barry Lewis [ nin10do :: General Writer :: Feature Writer :: Fountain of Industry Statistics ]
"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh."

Let's hope Street Racing Syndicate gets a PAL release.

:link: FAUSTSHAUSUK :mario:
My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/FaustsHausUK

Personally I'm a big Underground fan, with all its flaws its still a fun game but more than that I love customising the car, I know you can do it on other games like F-Zero, but when you cross the finish line in first position and you know that its YOUR car and not some pre-fabricated game car, it makes victory that much sweeter.

Matthew Evans [ Writer :: Moderator :: King of Impartiality :: Lord of the 15min Thread ] As the wind blows the sand to cover the camel's tracks so does time move to cover the Lord's.
Rejoice for the Lord will taketh his quarter and give much back to his followers.

I think with F-Zero GX and MKDD - possibly the only game thats missing is a Gran Turismo game. If GameCube had GT - then it would be totally 100% complete as far as a range of racers is concerned. If you've played a GT game then you'll know what I mean, its the perfect realistic "serious" racer - it gets the formula just right. Other games that try to challange it like the PGR series fall far short.

In general though, the GameCube has the best range of racers - so what if we don't get Burnout 3? We have the BEST version of Burnout and the BEST version of Burnout 2 (just look at any comparasons) - we've done burnout on GameCube and we don't really need another one...

jesusraz wrote:
So back together that Tekken 5 has been announced as PS2-exclusive...

Smilie

Yeah but MGS, I thought that was a pretty damn good sign of together...ness and putting the GC in MGS...and Mario and Yoshi...so many mis-interepreted signs. And like Blizz racers aren't my favourtie platform though I do like MK and F-Zero, but really the GC needs to accomodate for everyone and obviously it isn't...we lack good Beat em' ups aswell really...

There's a serious lack in realistic racers. I was just browsing the other day and was taking a look at Colin McRae 4 and the new TOCA Race Driver - both look amazing. At least the GBA has Colin McRae 2.0 though, which I've just got and it seems very good - although I need more practise on the later rallies... Smilie

you seem to be forgetting about MX Superfly and XGRA both great games

First of all BEAM , calling an entire company 'idiots' is a bit daft. The company has produced some amount of good games over the years, and they made the only footie game I've ever enjoyed.

I'm not a big racer fan - certainly not a fan of 'realistic' racers anyway. F-Zero GX and MKSmilieD!! are both excellent games in their own right. But it's true, the GC certainly does lack in some genres, but the games you mentioned are probably the some of the best examples on other consoles too.

I played an X-Box exclusive racing titile the other day...a rally game of some sort (I've had limited experience plying these games, and I have the knack for them) and it was good. It handled like you were control, the graphics were excellent and YAAAAAAAY!!! - you could damage the car!! Smilie

It just goes to show that game publishers and developers are a crazy bunch with the games.

Gastrian wrote:
Personally I'm a big Underground fan, with all its flaws its still a fun game but more than that I love customising the car, I know you can do it on other games like F-Zero, but when you cross the finish line in first position and you know that its YOUR car and not some pre-fabricated game car, it makes victory that much sweeter.

*Slap* *Slap, slap, slap, slap, slap and slap* *boot to the balls* Smilie

Um, I played both games at the same time, with my brother and our pal Jack. They both wetted their pants at playing Underground and it annoyed me. It wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't a great game either. And the customization?! What makes it better than the F-Zero one? You take a car that you like and best suits your skill. You can't mess with the engine specs or anything, you just muck around with the cosmetics of the car. That's it. This is the problem with the game - all style and only some substance.

In F-Zero GX, you can choose hugely varying parts from a large database and build, from scratch, a machine that completely suits you, and you can also customize the aesthetics to an extent as well. It helps the otherwise ailing multiplayer as well, racing friends with their own customized machine is a great laugh, not just because of the pretty colours (because you can do it in Underground too) but because of the difference in stats.

Phew, that felt good Smilie

"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh." Fly fast, stay low, hit hard
Guide to using the Metroid Bounty Hunters.
{Guild}Ohmdal: But how did you get the poo inside of the box when the goat was sleeping on top of it?
{Guild}Ohmdal: oops wrong chat

You should try Paris Dakar 2 frazzle, it's pretty good. Nice and realistic rally game, good physics, damage, cars, lorrys, bikes and desert racing. Pretty enjoyable if you like rally sims (T.T.) and cheap at

frazzle wrote:
First of all BEAM , calling an entire company 'idiots' is a bit daft. The company has produced some amount of good games over the years, and they made the only footie game I've ever enjoyed.

But their lack of Nintendo support proves that they are out primarily to make the most money possible, rather than making the best games possible.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, jesusraz

There are 2 members online at the moment.