Favourite Scenes in Films *SPOILERS*

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

So you've watched a film or two in your time, and there's some scenes in particular that have always stuck with you.

==================================================

RULES:

1) Only one video per post. Fuck it. Just post as many as you like.

2) DO NOT embed the video in your post. Otherwise every single post will have a video, and this slows some computers down. I know for many of us this isn't an issue, but I've noticed users complaining about this before (laptops can get funny with millions of videos). It's OK if it's just one or two in a non-video oriented thread, but that's not the case here. Link to your video Smilie

3) Give some kind of description of the scene in the text of your post, and why it stuck with you.

4) Never complain about spoilers. The thread is obviously going to contain spoilers, and in case you're too dumb to realise that I even warned you in the thread title. If your stupidity reaches such depths that you still feel something has been spoiled for you - fuck off.

==================================================

Now, my first one is from Rocky V. By many measures it's the worst film out of the entire Rocky series, but it also contains my favourite scene from any of them - a flashback to the era of Rocky I where Rock-o is training with Micky for his marquee fight with Apollo.

The scene in question (YT, 720p)

It stuck with me partly because Burgess Meredith arguably gives us his best performance as Mickey, the run-down boxing trainer who cares greatly (in a really rugged, rude and manly way..) about his protégé. He's a vulnerable old man who's been through the mill a thousand times, and it's just written all over his face. This speech he gives is spot on, and just 100% Mickey. In terms of the flashback, it also serves to cement in the audience's minds that Mickey is gone.

For those not familiar with the series, Mickey dies in Rocky III of a heart attack (brought on by an assault from Clubber Lang) just before the big fight in that film. He was obviously absent in Rocky IV, and Stallone brought him back for a short and extremely sweet cameo in the fifth (which is the scene we have here). Shame the rest of the film was kind of crappy, but this scene is golden as far as I'm concerned.

( Edited 09.03.2012 11:22 by Martin_ )

One of my favourite film scenes is from Lost in Translation.

The way it's been shot, but particularly because of the music from Squarepusher, just sets the perfect atmosphere for this scene. We see a lonely Scarlett Johansson perched upon on the windowsill of a tall hotel she's staying in. The hotel is of course in Japan, away from the culture she's used to. She looks across the cityscape and takes it in as this beautiful music plays.

Sitting on a window

If you've seen the entire film, you'll know the entire film is acted really well and captures this sense of isolation between the two main characters and a charming bond between them.

( Edited 26.02.2012 21:33 by Marzy )

Blade Runner - Tears in rain.

I love this scene in Law Abiding Citizen where Clyde makes one of his 'deals' with Nick. This particular occasion, for lunch Clyde wants a 20oz porterhouse steak "with all the trimmings". Then when the meal shows up, he has funny banter with the waiter ("Take 30% for yourself, my man"). He's just so fucking cheeky, I love it!

The scene.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the scene per se. So, I went to one of those channels on YouTube where someone has uploaded the entire film in parts. The link should take you to 5:54 of the video. The first thing you should see is Nick saying "I got everything I need". Just watch from there until the end, that's the scene.

( Edited 01.03.2012 20:41 by Martin_ )

This scene from 1984 (adaptation of the book) is one of my favourites - this clip isn't the full scene, but it's close enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YXWl6i2GBg

Earlier than in this particular clip, you see Winston (John Hurt) getting tortured as he answers "incorrectly" to the questions asked, which every time the dial is turned to move the table (stretching Winstons back) a rather horrible noise is made by it.

Obviously taken from the book, but it's done well here (the noise I mentioned is the sort that convinces you it must hurt and makes you slightly wince). The scene in general is interesting because the torture isn't punishment or trying to get information out of him, it's the means to convince Winston of something in what otherwise might be simply a discussion between the 2 (made clear by the "how many fingers am I holding up" part).

Also,whilst there's many I could post from Cowboy Bebop, here's one particular scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-jcE8kqK9k

It's a sort of life flashing before your eyes moment as Spike falls through a church window. At this point a lot of Spikes specific past is still a mystery and not clearly explained, so at the same time this kinda suggests a few more things about his relationship with Vicious (the guy with grey hair) Julia, and the syndicate (corporate gangs Spike and Vicious apparently belonged to). The music helps make this (along with the series in general), and it all just goes well together.

( Edited 01.03.2012 21:51 by Modplan Man )

Martin_ said:
RULES:

1) Only one video per post.

I'll allow it this one time because it's you, and you're awesome Smilie

The mule scene near the the beginning of "Fistful of Dollars." Nothing is spoiled in this scene, it's just awesome.

*link*

TAG: That American Guy

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Flight of the Navigator is my favourite film of all time. Therefore, it contains many scenes which I dearly love. However, I think it has a notable opening credits. Awesome music, and nice sunny scene of a Frisbee competition in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Here it is.

80s as fuck! Love it.

When I first read this question some years ago, I had never thought about favorite scenes before. I always looked at films as a whole and not separate scenes. But then I realized the scenes make up the movie.

So the first one that came to mind was:

A Beautiful Mind (which I don't think is anything special at all)
So the main character is schizophrenic. He used to have it really badly, but now he's on medicines and it's going much much better. He hasn't seen any imaginary people in months. His wife is happy.

And then there's this scene:
It's in the evening and his wife asks him to put the trash out. He does... but she hears him talk to somebody. He comes back in and she asks him who it was. "The garbage man!" he replies. "... But honey, they never pick up the trash this late..."
They look at each other in disbelief. She knows what it means. He knows what it could mean...

And then they both hear the garbage truck ride off. The looks they give eachother and the confusing emotions you experience are just amazing.

I really liked the fight scene between Dr. Lem & Ryon as well as Kyan & Rion in the Galerians Rion film.

Also when Christian Bale's character wakes up to the sun rise in Equilibrium after he starts feeling emotion was pretty profound.

It is not wise to speak on subjects you do not know all facts about, nor is it smart to judge a game based on looks alone. PSN: Nintendo_Gamer 3DS: 4296-3029-7422

There are many. These are scenes that are prominent in my mind right now:

There Will Be Blood

The twisted humour played out in that dialogue, and then the following following brutality is brilliantly shocking. Loved it. I can see why people quote that bit.

Raging Bull

Uncomfortably intense scene. One of the best pieces of acting I've seen, coming from Robert De Niro.

IANC said:
Dude yuor totally awesome. And i won't be killing you anytime soon.

Everyone's ignoring rule one. I guess I learned something - don't make too many rules. It no longer applies, so have as many scenes in each post as you like. The other three still apply. Especially the one about not embedding.

Slydevil said:
There Will Be Blood

The twisted humour played out in that dialogue, and then the following following brutality is brilliantly shocking. Loved it. I can see why people quote that bit.

Yep, fucking love that scene. Day-Lewis kicks ass.

Drive -- a scene in an elevator..it's so awesome..in fact the whole movie is an awesome scene...."d'you understand?"

The ending of Final Destination 5. It was were the first movie started when Alex and his French class were on the plane to Paris, and the main characters were on this plane when it exploded. I was not expecting them to die the way they did.

SuperYoshi6 PSN name
3DS friend code 2878-9581-8999

The end scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey, where Bowman has gone through seeing the many ages of himself and becomes the starchild. The first time I watched this film, this made me cry. I don't know why, it's not sad. I just found it so powerful. Revelatory. Like rebirth or reincarnation, but better than either of those things.

2001: A Space Odyssey | Last scene

It's difficult to put into words. Many people love this scene (and the film), so it was probably going to show up at some point. What a fantastic moment in cinema.

E.T. Flying Scene

The most memorable scene in the film for me. I think the music makes it even more special though, the E.T. theme is so great. One thing I never understood is how it transitioned from day to night so quickly. Also a bit of film trivia for those that might not of known. In the original version the police are holding guns instead of walkie talkies.

( Edited 12.10.2012 13:20 by Marzy )

I didn't 'get' 2001: A Space Odyssey. I can appreciate the slow pace of the movie, but the ending? It's so confusing/depressing/lonely. Smilie

MEGABUMP

I got this awesome film off a newspaper a long time ago. Finally got around to watching it. It has an excellent ensemble cast. It even has Jack Lemon!

Glengarry Glen Ross - "Put that coffee down!"

It's a film about an office of struggling real estate salesmen. In this scene, the company who own the office (Mitch & Murray) have sent someone down to give these guys some motivation to close on deals (they've been doing really, really badly). Alec Baldwin plays this man, and it's just an awesome scene. He verbally tears them to pieces. So awesome.

"What's your name?"

"Fuck you, that's my name! You know why, mister? Because you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an $80,000 BMW, that's my name."

I know it is a very famous scene, but I am going to post it anyway. One of my all-time favorite movie scenes is the binary sunset from Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Star Wars isn't even a particular favorite series of mine, but this one scene has given me chills every time i've seen it since I was a kid. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the music, but the entire scene was a masterpiece. 

Binary Sunset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8&feature=related

Working like a fiend isn't very fun... and surprisingly isn't very fiendish either.

This is a scene from Moon, which isn't that well known but its definitely worth a watch. Probably my favourite sci-fi movie since The Event Horizon(these two films have nothing in common by the way). This is a really sad scene from the film. The main character has just discovered he's a clone with memories copied from the original. He's dying so he tries to contact his wife to say goodbye. His daughter picks up instead, who he's never met. How Sam Rockwell wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this role I'll never know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_VGqSaBgM

( Edited 11.11.2012 02:01 by JayUK )

Moon's a great movie. I might watch it tonight with some friends (the alternative is Inception which I've already seen twice).

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.