Things Youd Change About Yourself

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 25.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Similar for me. Wish so bad I could play an instrument. Piano, violin and guitar would be amazing. Do have a guitar a friend gave me, but never bothered to learn it.

Wishing I'd stuck with playing football is another one. I was quite gifted as a goalkeeper, but I lacked confidence once I started playing in the adult league. My biggest regret is not at least trying to see if I could have cut it in a different position on the field instead of just up and quitting altogether. Even if it wouldn't have got me anywhere, I regret not trying.

Drawing would have to be another big one. I love fan art sites and wish I could draw like some people can. Used to draw loads as a kid, but never developed into anything spectacular.

I guess you could say it's never too late with these things, but football has definitely come and gone for me. Although guitar is something I could learn if I dedicated myself to it. It's just finding that time and motivation.

I'd probably change the degree I did, or even have not done one at all. Whilst I had fun times at Uni, it was ultimately a waste of 3 years - whilst I'm now in a job based on what I did study, what I learnt was either irrelevant, wrong, incomplete or out dated. Looking back, I feel I went more because it was an expectation (pretty much everyone at school went) rather than a choice. I am proud of what I did achieve there, but ultimately it was mostly for nothing and I would have been able to learn what I need for my job (and wouldn't have an £18000 (and growing) debt)

I also would have liked to pursue the piano more. I can sort of play a few simple things - some are even recognisable! - but I would like to know more. I feel an instrument is something you do better if done from a young age rather than trying to get taught it later on in life

Shouldn't this thread be called 'Things you wish you could change about yourself'?

I wish I was more intelligent and could cope with basic maths, it'd really help for certain jobs. I also wish I was able to communicate better with people and take in information better. On top of that, I wish I was a more motivated person and be able to put more work into my art (like I used to).

He he, to be honest, I've already changed a lot about myself over the years. I'm fitter, stronger (beat a weight limit at the gym last week that had me stumped for over a month Smilie), my teeth are fully restored, I'm getting more confident with people interaction by the day, a good job (could be better but I'm grateful for what I've got), and more entertainment options than I know what to do with. Smilie

Although, I do wish I didn't spend anywhere near as much time as I did isolated in my room playing videogames when I was younger, and instead getting out to see more of the world while I had the spare time (and zero need to earn money with employment Smilie), but what's done is done. Higher motivational levels would also be desirable, but I am working on that. Smilie

saunderscowie said:

Similarly I wish I could some kind of martial art when I younger. Wing chun or something. I am actually thinking about starting to take class in the summer, however I feel with both musical instruments and martial arts people need to start at a young age to be good or stand a chance at getting good? Maybe this is just a misconception i'm not sure...

And lastly I wish I was good at drawing! Maybe not so much taking lessons I think people are just born with a natural skill to draw well.

Vast misconception. Whilst it may be true that young developing minds take to learning musical instruments quicker than older ones, it's far from impossible and just requires more focus. My friend became interested in learning the guitar at age 19, he's 22 now and I've seen very few better at it. He's inspired me to take it up too, though admittedly I'm a slower learner. Smilie

If you want to get into drawing, try the Art Academy DS Retail/DSiWare games. I'm trying out the first DSiWare game right now and its doing wonders with teaching the very basics. Smilie

Lrrr said:

I also would have liked to pursue the piano more. I can sort of play a few simple things - some are even recognisable! - but I would like to know more. I feel an instrument is something you do better if done from a young age rather than trying to get taught it later on in life

Not to sound like I'm Nintendo's PR-man or anything, but there is a cheap DSiWare Piano-teaching game you could maybe try? It's nowhere near the level of Art Academy's teaching efficiency, but it does provide a full keyboard layout and highlights to help you hit the right ones in time with the tune. At the very least, you could try it to see if you'd like to take it further or not. Smilie

Firstly, I usually don't like to think in a regretting mode because personally I believe that I am a huge conglomeration of everything in my past. I am who I am, there's nothing I can do about the past. While all the good things help, the bad stuff also helps cuz it opens up doors to new waves of thoughts and it motivates me to not go down those paths again.

But, when I do think about ability wise what I could have done, two things always pop up. I really wish I had learned how to play piano. It's such a beautiful and somewhat necessary instrument. I did play baritone and guitar, but learning piano earlier would have helped by musical growth substantially. The other thing was that I should have stuck with soccer. I played it when I was really young but gave up on it (I didn't think it was fun, and soccer's considered a wimpy sport here (the mentality is changing though Smilie )). Instead I started playing American football. While American football is my favorite sport, my body is way more of a soccer type.

Martial Arts is a thing you can take up at any age, I only started IMA last year (mix between Thai Kick Boxing and Grappling Techniques) and I find the training involved helps you build the right muscles to pull of the moves easily.

Something I want to change about myself. Well it's mostly physical, I want to correct my Strabismus (which somewhat makes me look cross eyed when I'm tired), and I also want to get my teeth properly straightened and whitened.

I also want to learn how to play an instrument, and luckily I'm moving in with 3 musicians for my next year of Uni, and one of them is a Drum instructor in his spare time.

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Agreed with bornforthis, I'm by and largely a product of my past and personality-wise I've turned out to be a pretty decent guy, social and health issues outstanding who knows if doing something differently in my past could have changed drastically the person I ended up being today?

I like who I am, buuut
I'm not satisfied.

Above all, I wish I had social confidence irl, of any colloquial sort really. Interviews, formal events, fine, cool, I know when to speak when I'm being invited to speak. But groups of people, group discussions, crowds? Jesus I lock up and fall dead silent, my nervous habits run riot and sometimes I even shake or sweat. And then when I'm out of the situation I feel like I had no reason to behave in such a way.. it's become a bit of a bad psychological reflex or something like I genuinely can't help it no matter how confident I feel beforehand, because I know I'm a good and likeable person, and I just.. really don't like it hurr.

I also wish I was fit, not a body model or anything, just strong and healthy enough to shake my unhealthy vibe and appear more confident too (again it comes down to confidence in myself).

I'm working on those things a lot right now, exercising, eating healthily, sleeping plenty. While my bodily condition is slowly improving my social condition.. isn't, not really.

Also wish I could draw but this one's different because I'm not really bothered to keep practising, I admittedly want to be as good as all those Japanese fanartists without even trying, so yeah that one's not that important.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

The things is, we can all technically change these things about ourself. It's more down to a lack of belief that you can't achieve these things, or also a lack of motivation or maybe you have problems going on in your life?

Whatever reason it maybe, we all have brains and we can all make our own decisions, we just have mental barriers stopping us from doing these things we would like to do. It's kind of weird to say this myself, because I know how it feels to wish to do something and not actually do it, but if you really want to do something, do it!

Phoenix is a great example of how you can change yourself if you rewire your thoughts, put some work into it and achieve some results.

Again, it's easier said than done. I know, because I'm like it myself, I always say "I wish I could do this" and such and then I don't believe I can or have little motivation when it comes to actually doing it. You can ALL achieve these things though.

I'd say sit down one day and write some things down you'd like to achieve, even if they're small things and pick one to do. Try and achieve that goal, no matter how small and it might spur you on to continue with the others and gain more belief in yourself. You might want to push yourself more as you grow in more confidence to achieve your goals.

( Edited 07.05.2012 10:52 by Marzy )

There isn't much I want to change myself really.

Like Lrr, I'm bored of uni and feel it almost a waste of time. I have a brilliant job waiting for me which is more based on my interests, compared to anything I did at University which I start in two weeks.

I want to get fitter, a year of not doing much exercise has put me in a poor state. I'm still fairly skinny, but I've put some weight on the chest and sides that I could get rid of fairly easy. I'll join a Gym when I finish uni.

Wish I had slightly more confidence to ask people out.

Other than that, I'm pretty good about myself.

I've tried instruments, they didn't really click. I did Taekwondo for four years and got bored. Did a few months of Kung Fu (Tiger) and got bored of that at uni. I can't draw, I've resigned myself to that fact, but I'm not bad at graphic design on computers and following a career that applies to my strengths.

Instead of looking at what you want to change about yourself, look at where your interests are, what you are good at and follow that route. Try not to chase too much after what could be rather than what you are unless its achievable within a reasonable amount of time (Shane is a good example here with his Teeth et al.). Things come with time, push yourself where necessary, but don't longingly chase after something that will be difficult to change about yourself.

Find something you love, and let it kill you.

( Edited 07.05.2012 18:07 by Echoes221 )

Yea gotta agree with Marzy. Doing all those things he mentioned should help, but I think that in order to find that motivation, to keep you going 110%, you have to look deep within yourself. You have to find the purpose of this life. What's the point of all this? Ask these questions, and play Devil's advocate all the time. I suffered through around 1.5 years of depression, but now that I understand what the reality, love, hatred, life etc are, nothing's gonna stop me. I can do whatever the hell I want to do. I know this sounds really preachy, but you gotta figure out who you really are if you want to achieve whatever successes you want to.

bornforthis43 said:
Yea gotta agree with Marzy. Doing all those things he mentioned should help, but I think that in order to find that motivation, to keep you going 110%, you have to look deep within yourself. You have to find the purpose of this life. What's the point of all this? Ask these questions, and play Devil's advocate all the time. I suffered through around 1.5 years of depression, but now that I understand what the reality, love, hatred, life etc are, nothing's gonna stop me. I can do whatever the hell I want to do. I know this sounds really preachy, but you gotta figure out who you really are if you want to achieve whatever successes you want to.

To put it crudely: Life is a playground, make it your bitch.

Echoes221 said: To put it crudely: Life is a playground, make it your bitch.

Pretty much sums it up right here.

( Edited 07.05.2012 18:12 by bornforthis43 )

Bart (guest) 07.05.2012#13

Not much. I'm pretty satisfied with myself.

I used to not be. I used to do just what I felt like all day everyday. Which made me incredibly lazy(which I described as tiredness to myself) and an all around weak character. Then work happened, my own place happened, and due to passive social pressure(the pressure that's not enforced by your friends or family, but by yourself when comparing to your social circle) from the people I met, I went from strength to strength, fulfilling dreams I had, but was way too fucking lazy to actually go for before.

So not much I'd change about myself now. I hope I stay healthy enough to meet many more people, learn from every experience, and have lots and lots and lots of laughs and insights from all kinds of fields, always to have an open mind and the ability to feel free and enjoyment wherever I am.

I wish I had some more friends. Smilie
And a proper job. Smilie
I also wish I could speak a foreign language. I've always trying to improve my German but it's hard when there's so little chance to speak it in real life situations.

But yeh, to anyone saying they wish they could play an instrument, JUST START PLAYING ONE. Piano and guitar are both relatively easy to pick up. If you can't afford lessons then just get someone you know who can play to show you the basics, the internet can help a lot too.

( Edited 07.05.2012 21:15 by Cheesing it up )

saunderscowie said:
Ah yes, a second language is another one. Probably Japanese because i'm so interested in the country.

Oh yeah I'm seconding this, something I'd like to pick up along the way..

As for Uni I.. feel like the course itself is a waste of my time, even though I'm getting the hang of it and getting a bit better at it.
But I don't regret going to Uni for the fact that it's helped me realise a lot of things about myself, helped me become more independent, helped me think about what my options for the future are, helped my confidence slightly.

I wish it was the ~magic confidence fixer~ all the adults told me it was when I was younger, I still don't feel like everyone accepts me and I sure as hell don't feel like everyone wants to talk to me.
But eh.

My dad told me he always felt pretty uncomfortable in Uni, maybe some people just suck socially.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

If you are interested in learning a language. Download 'Language Immersion' for google chrome. It makes parts of sentences into a different language depending on the level you want. Pretty good.

Bart (guest) 08.05.2012#17

Cheesing it up said:

I also wish I could speak a foreign language. I've always trying to improve my German but it's hard when there's so little chance to speak it in real life situations.

I almost never use English in real life situations. I'm not sure what you're proficiency level at the moment is, but:

1) Play your (favourite) video games in German
2) Watch German spoken movies with English subtitles
3) Watch English movies with German subtitles
4) Read German websites about your interests and hobbies
5) Participate in forums (granted, this will not teach you perfect spelling or grammar, but it will help you pick up all kinds of (local) sayings, subtleties, slang, wordplay etc)

Even though English isn't my native language, I feel like these things have helped me a lot on my quest to master it. Hell, I just wrote a 1000 word English rhyming story the day before yesterday.

German is a beautiful language as well, so good luck with your studies!

Lose weight, master hand to hand combat, fly through the air at will, gain several super powers...that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

It is not wise to speak on subjects you do not know all facts about, nor is it smart to judge a game based on looks alone. PSN: Nintendo_Gamer 3DS: 4296-3029-7422

Who couldn't be a bit more healthy and in shape, right? Smilie

But besides that, I wish I could go back to my old self of trying really hard at everything I did. It seemed to me that the more outgoing and social I became, the lazier I became, which is odd and the opposite of what happens with most people. But in a nutshell, it all boils down to just overall motivation and avoiding procrastination. I make these awesome game plans in my head and even sometimes sketch it out on paper what I'm going to do, but I never end up doing it.

That's not to say that I've become some sort of lazy slob- far from it. It's just always easier to criticize yourself than it is others.

The former top user was Keven! You'd probably give birth to yourself 1000 times over until you sprout wings to fly away into the fading sun, that or you'd just turn into a lesbian. Who knows @_@ - L, 12/06/09

Bart (guest) said:
Cheesing it up said:

I almost never use English in real life situations. I'm not sure what you're proficiency level at the moment is, but:

1) Play your (favourite) video games in German
2) Watch German spoken movies with English subtitles
3) Watch English movies with German subtitles
4) Read German websites about your interests and hobbies
5) Participate in forums (granted, this will not teach you perfect spelling or grammar, but it will help you pick up all kinds of (local) sayings, subtleties, slang, wordplay etc)

Even though English isn't my native language, I feel like these things have helped me a lot on my quest to master it. Hell, I just wrote a 1000 word English rhyming story the day before yesterday.

German is a beautiful language as well, so good luck with your studies!

I am curious of your native language. I also never use English in real life so I feel a little difficult in English reading and speaking.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.