Future Dreams?

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 25.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Does anyone have any future plans or dreams for the future they hope to achieve? I thought i'd share mine with you..

I would like to own a smallish cafe something in Manhattan possibly.. It'll be quite clean, modern, airy, minimalistic, light and with loads of books for anyone to just pick up and read, interesting art work on display throughout. Pretty much a "art-cafe".

Serving a selection of organic teas, coffees and other drinks along with food - sandwiches, cakes, crepes etc.

At night it will continue to be a cafe but will have a bar element with live music from indie / niche bands, stand up comedy etc. Also in the basement / somewhere in the building there will be a small cinema screen with food and drink (reasonably priced!) connected with a good projector / blu ray to show interesting films maybe twice a week. "Classic" films, mine / anyones favourites.

I would love to do this sometime in the future.. to design the entire building, collection furniture, resources, build relationships, help set everything up and to just meet loads of new interesting people.

Also, you guys are all welcome for discounts!! Smilie

Do it. Next time I'm in Manhattan I'll say hello.

I'm studying Audio Engineering in college. I'm also studying Japanese (got a minor in "Asian Studies"). Clearly, my presence on Cubed3 means I'm also a big fan of video games. My dream is to jam all of these together and make a living.

I want to work on the audio of video games while living in Japan (at least for a while). Sound design kind of stuff. Working on localizing games, especially voice over work, would be great, too.

Getting super dreamy; I would love to have a home in America and a home in Japan. I would stay and work at one place for a stretch of time, then work at the other. I would try to experience the best of both worlds.

*Edit*
Deleted a double post. My internet was being silly.

( Edited 12.06.2012 05:41 by TAG )

TAG: That American Guy

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

I'm kinda shocked no one has replied to this topic sooner.

I love the idea with the cafe/books/mini-theater. Coffee is good, coffee AND books are even better! If you ever do this, And I am in the area I will be hitting you up for that discount! I'll probably need it because my dream has always been to be a cartoonist and damn it, if I die destitute and penniless it won't matter to me because I've always enjoyed sitting at my desk and drawing.

I went gangbusters drawing in high school, but since college it's much harder to find time. If I get to drawing more over the summer here (And I will!)
maybe I'll post some cartoons. I've always found Feedback and criticism helpful.

I think the reason this hasn't gotten more replies is that it's a deep topic and not the kind of thing you reply to on a whim and also becuase those of Cubed3 are already living their dreams or future plans. I mean, after you've become one of the superpowers of the internet, what else is their for you to do besides sit back and bask? Smilie

I am seriously curious now though, what do you want to ultimately do with your lives, people of Cubed3?

Duggler657 said: my dream has always been to be a cartoonist

Ever look at a program called "Flipbook?" It's for making animated cartoons. There's a trial version, and I think all it does it put a giant watermark on your work. That's fair for testing the product out. I played around with the trial some and it seemed solid to me. I'm no cartoonist, though; I was just curious.
*Flipbook*

( Edited 12.06.2012 05:38 by TAG )

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Thanks, TAG! I'll give it a look. I've always been into comics strips more than animation, (Calvin and Hobbes are my heroes!) but with newspapers kinda dead and all, I may need to be more practical and look into something like animation if I really want anything to happen with this.

Good luck with the audio engineering! Sounds fun. I've dabbled around with radio for the past year and its a blast. localizing games and having the opportunity to work with guys like Nolan North, Steve Blum, and Jamieson Price would be the coolest!

Honestly? I'd like to own a metal pub, possibly a club instead.

It makes me sad that metal and rock clubs are closing in London, and there's so few so each time we lose one, it sucks hard.

That said, I'm doing a teaching degree. Trololo.

I think most people have gathered what my future dream is. I want to be an artist and get paid for my work, so basically my job.

If this could happen, I would also love to move somewhere away from town in a forest or something and paint all day, whilst relaxing to music and the birds tweeting outside. It's a major dream of course and probably not realistic (the latter part at least), but yeah, that's a future dream of mine. Smilie

Good posts so far! My dream isn't really my future career dream (I just finished my uni course studying Film Production so obviously I want a career in film making), but it would be nice as a hobby / side project. And of course discounts all round!

Marzy said:
If this could happen, I would also love to move somewhere away from town in a forest or something and paint all day, whilst relaxing to music and the birds tweeting outside. It's a major dream of course and probably not realistic (the latter part at least), but yeah, that's a future dream of mine. Smilie

Why is that not realistic? Since going to college, my family has moved into a house like that. I'm not sure what England is like, but I imagine that it's easier/cheaper to get a house like that in America. We've got more rural land.

I just looked at some realtor site and found a few cheap houses in Mississippi with several acres. I picked Mississippi just because I know it's a poor rural state, so I guessed it'd be easy to find cheap stuff. If you do some serious looking, it'd also be good to keep in mind tax laws, as they change from state to state.
$135,000 for house on 80 acres
$177,000 for house on 84 acres

Those are feasible, aren't they? Just something to keep in mind while you dream.

There are rural areas in the UK, but I always assumed they're really expensive to buy houses there. I think Scotland would be great, there's some fantastic views up there.

Moving to another country wouldn't be out the question either.

It would be a wonderful dream to come true. Thanks for the information, I'll check them out.

( Edited 12.06.2012 19:39 by Marzy )

I want to be an adventurer and see something different every day. I'd make sure to stop by the Manhattan art-cafe on my travels Smilie

Too much! Be a great cook, multi instrumentalist, conjurer, sportsman, lover, technician, gunman, artist, friend, teacher, survivalist, race car driver...I'll just try to sample as much as possible. Or I'll just become a father and be happy too. Smilie

You are not alone. I am here with you. Though we're far apart...you're always in my heart. Love u!

I want to be a God...no seriously Comic Book only rules be DAMNED I WILL become a Super Hero!!

It is not wise to speak on subjects you do not know all facts about, nor is it smart to judge a game based on looks alone. PSN: Nintendo_Gamer 3DS: 4296-3029-7422

Vorash Kadan said:
I want to be a God...no seriously Comic Book only rules be DAMNED I WILL become a Super Hero!!

Shame...I was hoping you'd reply seriously. I liked the fact that the thread didn't turn out into 'ha ha I want to be a brewery so I can drink all day lolol' yet.

Do you have any actual achievable dreams you want to fullfill?

I just find it interesting to read about people's motivation, inspiration and what they want to do with their life.

You are not alone. I am here with you. Though we're far apart...you're always in my heart. Love u!

Obviously my desired career path is the film industry. I just finished my third year at university studying film production and now looking for a job... which is very hard!

Epic dream of child-like proportions would be to become a successful musician. I am not ashamed to say that I have played out my big debut on the Jools Holland Show several thousand times. It’s good to dream. If anything remotely close to that ever happened to me, I could die happy. To write a hit album would also be pant-jizzingly good.

A little bit more realistic, I would love to just be involved in the music industry somehow. A session guitarist, a music journalist. If ever I could afford it, I’d love to setup my own studio. I imagine helping new bands set themselves up, getting them on their feet and such, could be just as satisfying as being successful yourself.

As for lowest-tier dreams (not to belittle its importance): finding love, putting a ring on it, having kids and living happily ever after would also be a fantastic dream realized. And hey, if you don’t achieve your own unrealistic dreams, you can always channel those desires into your kids! Smilie

( Edited 30.06.2012 00:19 by The Strat Man )

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

Well I am dead serious about what I said...if it were possible to safely alter human genes into whatever someone wanted them to be...but I suppose I'd really like to work in video games. Preferably my own third party company (whose name will remain anonymous since I haven't copy written it yet) or work for Nintendo or a second party Nintendo company like Retro.

It is not wise to speak on subjects you do not know all facts about, nor is it smart to judge a game based on looks alone. PSN: Nintendo_Gamer 3DS: 4296-3029-7422

saunderscowie said:
Obviously my desired career path is the film industry. I just finished my third year at university studying film production and now looking for a job... which is very hard!

Well if you ever need an audio guy, I'd enjoy helping out Smilie

The Strat Man said:
If ever I could afford it, I’d love to setup my own studio. I imagine helping new bands set themselves up, getting them on their feet and such, could be just as satisfying as being successful yourself.

Stay back! I don't want anymore competition Smilie Smilie

I forgot to mention this, but another dream of mine is to go to Mars! If the opportunity came up, I would drop everything and do it. I recently found out about some rich dude wanting to send a few people to Mars and film it as a reality TV show. As dumb as that is, I'll probably apply if it looks like it might happen. Smilie
*link*

( Edited 30.06.2012 21:09 by TAG )

Can vouch for the fact helping out people is great, Stratman. Helping people achieve their dreams is a succes in itself to be proud of. You'll get the appreciation from the ones you worked closely with. And I'd prefer it to (millions) of people who love you without even knowing you, i.e. fans. I imagine writing a hit album being performed by some group would also be great versus the hassle of touring and such. You still rake in the money to travel around the world, but without the 'can I have your autograph' thing that gets very tiresome I'm sure. There's no reason you can't be in a band or bands besides that. Still, that dream of performing...which musician hasn't had it? Definitely exciting.

Vorash Kadan said:
Well I am dead serious about what I said...if it were possible to safely alter human genes into whatever someone wanted them to be...but I suppose I'd really like to work in video games. Preferably my own third party company (whose name will remain anonymous since I haven't copy written it yet) or work for Nintendo or a second party Nintendo company like Retro.

Are you a coder, artist, composer? How many games have you made? It's kind of impossible starting a game development company without that experience, let alone get to work for the biggest game company on the planet...just a word of advice(the name of a company is not important).

True but with my company being made up of MOSTLY if not entirely Lefty's the name works very well with us & I don't want to risk it being taken. No unfortunately I can draw a GREAT stick figure...& that's about it. I haven't done much of anyting with code so I might have tallent for that, pretty much I can think up good stories (or so I've been told by people) & I pay attention to even the little/subtle things that can tug at the audience.

Whule the characters & premise are different I've thought of similar plot styles & emotional situations that people such as Joss Whedon have done. But yeah I know you can't gain much initial credibility in the industry simply by saying "I can write a great story!!" Didn't Hideo Kojima start out as a Code Monkey or something?

For most people, if they were rich they'd purchase a really big, fancy house and live out their days in a dominion too large for their own sanity. For me, I want to purchase a small house somewhere out of the way (but not too out of the way) and fill the inside with all the coolest things I find from traveling around the world. Chair, fans, statues- think William Randolph Hearst, but on a much, much smaller scale.

The former top user was Keven! You'd probably give birth to yourself 1000 times over until you sprout wings to fly away into the fading sun, that or you'd just turn into a lesbian. Who knows @_@ - L, 12/06/09

Keven said:
For most people, if they were rich they'd purchase a really big, fancy house and live out their days in a dominion too large for their own sanity. For me, I want to purchase a small house somewhere out of the way (but not too out of the way) and fill the inside with all the coolest things I find from traveling around the world. Chair, fans, statues- think William Randolph Hearst, but on a much, much smaller scale.

William Randolph Hearst on a small scale is still crazy huge place to live. He lived in a castle in the middle of a ton of land where zebras and kangaroos that he bought ran around. Dude was a nutter Smilie

Picture:

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.