Seeing as the game's just a day away in Japan (with some lucky gits already steamrolling through a copy of the game) and a few months away for the rest of us, I figure it's about time I reminded C3 this little 'unique' entry into the Pokémon series exists.. which is, understandably, a bit of a mixed bag, it's kind of hard to say what exactly they want to do with it!
Obviously BW didn't get a third version like everyone thought it would, instead the clearly unfinished game gets a bit of a sequel treatment which is ultimately somewhere between a third version and what GS is to RGB... continuing the plot and letting you visit lots of the same places in a slightly different order.
- A lot of the same Gym Leaders, but a few new ones!
- Explore the Unova region in a different order, less linear, and a lot of new locations, possibly twice as many.
- All the music is basically the same except for presumably new locations
- Many old Pokémon now found as standard rather than after the game's ending
- New protagonists Nate and Rosa, and new Rival Hugh.
- Old Rivals Cheren and Bianca return, Cheren is a Gym Leader and Bianca is the new Professor.
- Continuation of BW's plot
So yeah.. BW2 is more than a third version, but less than an all-new game with a lot of the same locations. I guess you could call it a third version with more incentive for those who want freshness? Like I said before reception has been a mixed bag; personally I like this better than a third version, and it's possible that we'll get an all new Gen in another 2-3 years anyway.
Plus some of the li'l new features such as more convenient item management, much smoother sprite animations and high quality models in small instances gives a small peek at what a potential 3DS Pokémon could be like!
So.. discuss away! What does C3 think of the Pokémon series having its very first ~sequel~ game?
PS. For those of you wishing they'd do something new with the series, look no further as I'd like to point you in the direction of Pokémon Conquest, a strategy spinoff game which has been getting surprisingly great reviews across the board! (which will.. hopefully come to Europe soon)
PPS. forgive the awful banner I was lazy
EDIT: And what better way to start than with some footage of the opening? The title screen theme is fully orchestrated for the first time in a mainseries game and it sounds brilliant!
( Edited 13.10.2012 02:03 by SuperLink )