Official Monster Hunter Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

The second new weapon type in Monster Hunter 4 is called the Charge Axe, which is a hybrid between a Sword and Shield and an Axe. The Sword and Shield mode is for quick attacks and accumulating Charge Energy, while the Axe mode is for slower, more damaging strikes and using said Charge energy for attribute attacks.

This is pretty interesting to say the least, I don't think anybody expected that. I don't like the Switchaxe because it's two heavy weapons, so I'm really curious about this one. As usual, if this picture is any indication then these weapons will look cool as hell too. Can't wait to see it in motion.

Image for

( Edited 12.12.2012 09:50 by SirLink )

Our member of the week

I was always using the short sword and shield in Tri, just because I couldn't be arsed to master the heavier weapons, which make you always miss your target when it moves out of your reach as you're readying your blow. However I missed heavy weapons when a boss was lying on the ground and i wanted to deal with it as fast as possible by dealing it as huge damage as possible.

This new weapon sounds like it combines the best of both worlds, but I hope for the sake of the game that it doesn't break the balance of the game entirely... If it was both as powerful as heavy weapons in axe mode and as powerful and fast as a shield and sword in sword mode, then it'd render all the other weapons utterly useless for me;

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Heavy weapons are definitely hard to master but it pays off if you do. While Sword and Shield/Longsword were my main weapons in Tri, I also learned Hammer and Lance for some variety. In a sense, heavy weapons are the beauty of Monster Hunter because they really test your timing and skill. Nothing quite like landing a Level 3 Charge with the Greatsword or a Super Pound with a Hammer with perfect timing.

I'd imagine that the two modes both have lower overall damage output than the "pure" Sword and Shield and heavy weapons like a Greatsword. It would make perfect sense if you had to use both somewhat equally to achieve a similar damage output by utilising that charge energy, getting players familiar with a heavy weapon while still giving an option to fall back to their trusty Sword and Shield if they need to. That way, more players who were put off by learning a heavy weapon might get used to them in an easier way and start using weapons like the Greatsword or the Hammer. Of course, that's just my take on it and more or less pure speculation.

Image for

Image for

( Edited 12.12.2012 11:02 by SirLink )

Our member of the week

Speculation that makes sense though Smilie. That's also how I imagine it'll work.

I'm a bit disappointed by this new weapon, was expecting something that was more similar to the gun lance, but for a different weapon type(great sword, hammer, axe etc...). I guess they went this route since they're are so many rookie players that don't move on from their (training wheels) sword and shields, and the low damage output from that weapon generally makes you useless in hunts (unless you're using a status sns).

I still look forward to using it, but this weapon was definitely created to give sns users more bang for their bucks(or zenny). I guess in the end it's a win win. Players new to MH can move onto a weapon that gives them more damage, while I get random hunters that can actually help in quests.

SirLink said:
I'd imagine that the two modes both have lower overall damage output than the "pure" Sword and Shield and heavy weapons like a Greatsword. It would make perfect sense if you had to use both somewhat equally to achieve a similar damage output by utilising that charge energy, getting players familiar with a heavy weapon while still giving an option to fall back to their trusty Sword and Shield if they need to. That way, more players who were put off by learning a heavy weapon might get used to them in an easier way and start using weapons like the Greatsword or the Hammer. Of course, that's just my take on it and more or less pure speculation.

It's a good speculation, but i think the sns mode will probably output the same amount of damage as the regular sns or way more because of the charging. While the axe mode will give the user similar damage to that of the switch axe in axe mode. The thing that's really going to put it over the sns though is it's ability to gain a multiplier through charging. Even with all those bonuses I still think the dual swords are a nice step to goto when you want more damage but you're only comfortable with the sns.

I totally agree with you on the axe mode getting players use to a slower weapon which will make it easier for them to move onto other weapons of a similar speed. It's also going to get them use to hunting monsters with out a shield for a moment while still giving them confidence cause they can always switch back to sns mode to guard..

J Tangle said:
I guess they went this route since they're are so many rookie players that don't move on from their (training wheels) sword and shields, and the low damage output from that weapon generally makes you useless in hunts (unless you're using a status sns).

Don't underestimate the SnS. Smilie That's a common mistake many people make. A skilled SnS player with the correct elemental weapon is a force to be reckoned with and far from only being useful with a status one. The weapon only sucks if the player using it does, which is true for all weapon types.

J Tangle said:
It's a good speculation, but i think the sns mode will probably output the same amount of damage as the regular sns or way more because of the charging. While the axe mode will give the user similar damage to that of the switch axe in axe mode. The thing that's really going to put it over the sns though is it's ability to gain a multiplier through charging.

But that would effectively render the real SnS useless if the Charge Axe can do its job and much more. Of course, this is assuming that they even have a remotely similar moveset. Both the sword and shield of the Charge Axe are a lot bigger than a standard SnS, so I'd expect it to be at least slightly slower. We really need some video footage of it in action at the very least.

SirLink said:
Don't underestimate the SnS. Smilie That's a common mistake many people make. A skilled SnS player with the correct elemental weapon is a force to be reckoned with and far from only being useful with a status one. The weapon only sucks if the player using it does, which is true for all weapon types.

At the end of the day even an aggressive sns user still falls short in damage compared to any other weapon. I'm completely aware of what the sns can do, I have a few setups that can make use of it. I've used it plenty of times with various skills in different combinations to increase its damage multipliers ranging from sharpness+1, adrenaline+2, heroics, Attack up L, Critical eye +3, Element attack up, and even fortify. The weapon is out shined by every other type of weapon. So no it's not a "common mistake" that people see it as a weak weapon, I would say it's a "common mistake" that so many people don't understand what it's purpose is.

I'm not saying that it's not possible to kill something with it. My point is that it's the weakest weapon  when compared to any other weapon in the games. No matter how much skill the player has if you do a side by side with someone of similar skill, the person with out the sns would out damage them.

SirLink said:
But that would effectively render the real SnS useless if the Charge Axe can do its job and much more. Of course, this is assuming that they even have a remotely similar moveset. Both the sword and shield of the Charge Axe are a lot bigger than a standard SnS, so I'd expect it to be at least slightly slower. We really need some video footage of it in action at the very least.

Yeah I expect it to be slightly slower, I really want to see it in action aswell. People were saying the same thing about the lance when the gun lance came. Yet there are still people that prefer the lance to the gun lance. So really it's more about giving the player more options.

J Tangle said:
At the end of the day even an aggressive sns user still falls short in damage compared to any other weapon. I'm completely aware of what the sns can do, I have a few setups that can make use of it. I've used it plenty of times with various skills in different combinations to increase its damage multipliers ranging from sharpness+1, adrenaline+2, heroics, Attack up L, Critical eye +3, Element attack up, and even fortify. The weapon is out shined by every other type of weapon. So no it's not a "common mistake" that people see it as a weak weapon, I would say it's a "common mistake" that so many people don't understand what it's purpose is.

I'm not saying that it's not possible to kill something with it. My point is that it's the weakest weapon  when compared to any other weapon in the games. No matter how much skill the player has if you do a side by side with someone of similar skill, the person with out the sns would out damage them.

I never said that a SnS would outdamage any other weapon but it's far from "Status SnS or GTFO!" like you implied and I've heard plenty of people say to me before. Some other weapons lose to beasts like the Greatsword or Hammer in pure damage output too, so what about them? In reality, those side by side comparisons don't mean nearly as much because there are a lot of factors involved, such as the monster in question, group setup and the fact that the majority of the community isn't that good at the game. In specific comparisons the SnS sure won't fare well but the conditions for those are rarely ever present.

( Edited 13.12.2012 17:36 by SirLink )

SirLink said:
I never said that a SnS would outdamage any other weapon but it's far from "Status SnS or GTFO!" like you implied and I've heard plenty of people say to me before. Some other weapons lose to beasts like the Greatsword or Hammer in pure damage output too, so what about them? In reality, those side by side comparisons don't mean nearly as much because there are a lot of factors involved, such as the monster in question, group setup and the fact that the majority of the community isn't that good at the game. In specific comparisons the SnS sure won't fare well but the conditions for those are rarely ever present.

So what exactly are you trying to say about the sns? First you tell me I'm underestimating it and next you say it can't out damage any other weapon. The sns not only lacks in damage, but also lacks in attack range. Not being able to reach a monster's weak point is it's biggest downfall next to it's already feeble damage. When you look at situations where you can reach a monsters weak point with the sns every other weapon can already do the same. Leaving it still behind in terms of damage.

The side by side factors do mean alot though because no matter how many factors you can think of there's another weapon that could fill the role better than the sns. Whether it's a monster that wants to constantly fly, spam its projectiles, constantly dig, spam tremors, spam roars, too many minions in the map, environmental hazards etc. There's a stronger weapon to fill that roll other than the sns. It's like a jack of all trades but a master of none.

It's only positives are speed, defense, having both cut and impact damage, and the ability to use items while the weapon is unsheathed. Everything about the weapon points toward it being a training tool. So focusing on something like status would help the team, since it doesn't do much damage.

As far as the other weapons are concerned, their reach lends them more advantages than the Great sword or hammer. Hell, those two don't even have the largest dps when compared to weapons like the switch axe, gun lance, lance, long sword, dual swords, bows, and bowguns. In some MH games the real power house weapon is the Hunting Horn (I think it's freedom 2 where HH's damage multipliers and songs give it the highest dps). So no these "rarely presented conditions" that you speak of aren't rare at all, they're throughout the entire series.

Give me a situation where the sns isn't rendered useless out side of it being suitable for status and the ability to pot while the weapon is unsheathed(A training tool)? I bet you I can name a weapon that could easily out damage it in the same situation.

Image for

Image for

( Edited 17.01.2013 20:25 by Azuardo )

I think I actually like this boxart more than I like the Japanese one... o:

So there's a rumour going around that Monster Hunter 4 will also be announced for same-day release on the Vita as well as the 3DS. Thoughts anyone?

Phoenom said:
So there's a rumour going around that Monster Hunter 4 will also be announced for same-day release on the Vita as well as the 3DS. Thoughts anyone?

Idk, I've been hearing stuff that Sony and the MonHun team were having problems which is why MHp3rd was never localised. So i kind of doubt that there will be another MH on a sony platform for awhile, but who knows maybe capcom will pull a Re4 with MH4.

On another note, I like the box art. Azure los with a hunter showing off it's G rank armor and both Shakalaka running around looks nice. The Japan Bracchidios box art was nice aswell.

New Monster Hunter 4 trailer, showing off the Charge Axe in motion, a new awesome snake-like monster and the wyvern virus taking over some new and familiar monsters.

I'm playing the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demo on the Wii U right now and found out that I just can't play it with the GamePad. xD After hundreds of hours playing Tri with my Classic Controller Pro, it'll be really hard to get used to anything else, I think I'll just stick with it. I'll post more impressions later.

Have you played it on the 3DS? It seems to play smoother to me, not sure why.
I know what you mean about not being able to use the gamepad, took me a while to get used to it but now it's fine. The camera control on the right analog stick is a little too sensitive but the targeting feature makes up for it.

I'll try it out on the 3DS later but only out of curiosity since the Classic Controller Pro is definitely my perfect Monster Hunter controller. I'm surprised that I got used to everything rather quickly after almost two years since I last played Tri. I'm not quite at my former skill level yet, though.

I killed Lagombi with every weapon and the only ones I really need to work on are the Hunting Horn and Bow. The Dual Swords might just become my new favourite weapon at this rate, I'm already really great using them after only two quests and all I really lack for now is knowledge about all the combos you can do. Plesioth is pretty cool to fight. I killed him with the Long Sword and Sword and Shield, the latter being a challenge because that weapon is pretty terrible underwater and he likes to chill out in the water regularly.

Yeah I did the same and beat Lagombi with every weapon. I've taken a liking to the Dual Swords as well. It's got so many moves and it only took me 6 minutes to beat Lagombi with them. They're even more solid when you drink Dash Juice and get infinite Demon Mode for a while.
I actually like the Hunting Horn and Bow a lot. With the Hunting Horn you have to increase your speed by playing the the song that consists of two white notes (press X twice and then R), The Hunting Horn seems like a really awesome team support weapon because it's got so many status buffs. I somehow managed to give myself infinite stamina by playing a random song.
I think the Bow is the best ranged weapon, it's really good at inflicting status effects especially using the arrow rain move (charge up the arrow to the max and then hold R and a red circle will appear, just press A to release them).
The Gunlance seems pretty good to but it's so slow and hard to control underwater.
From all the reoccurring weapons from Tri that I tried none of them seemed to have any improvements except for the Heavy Bowgun because now you can use continuous fire with it. It seems like they nerfed the Long Sword because the Spirit Gauge depletes after you use it once so you can't spam it anymore.
It was a good demo and the 4 week wait is going to be painful.

I had a really great Lagombi time with the Dual Swords too, around 5 or 6 minutes. It's a shame you can't check the time (or your equipment xD) in the demo, so I mostly used the notifications to estimate my times. Yeah you're right, it's a shame they only give you one Dash Juice. In the actual game I'll totally never leave on a quest without a bunch of them when using Dual Swords, it's just too good.

I'm totally going to learn Hunting Horn and Bow but probably not in the demo where I can't even see what skills I have or what songs that particular Hunting Horn has. I tried doing the arrow rain but once I get into the mode with the red circle my aim becomes really, really sensitive which wasn't too great when trying to hit Lagombi most of the time. Gunlance is cool, I suppose you have to really take advantage of the actual gun and not play like you're using a Lance that's really slow. Using explosions regularly is pretty fun, though. xD

I was afraid of the Long Sword nerf that I saw in some videos but it's not too bad. No more spam-happy Long Sword users but being able to do the full combo with around 75% (something like that) of the bar and the red Spirit Gauge decreasing only to yellow is a decent trade-off, assuming they didn't change the damage values of some attacks. Either way, it should make people who have no idea how to use them without hindering their teammates a lot less annoying.

Tried both demos yesterday. I'm guessing the full game would start with some kind of Tutorial right? Because the demos seemed to just chuck you in the deep end somewhat. Smilie

Does combat get more involving? Like, unlocking extra combos, or being able to block? Just seemed a bit too hack-and-slashly from what I played.

I preferred it on the 3DS so that would be the version I'll get, but I'm still thinking about it.

Phoenom said:
Tried both demos yesterday. I'm guessing the full game would start with some kind of Tutorial right? Because the demos seemed to just chuck you in the deep end somewhat. Smilie

Does combat get more involving? Like, unlocking extra combos, or being able to block? Just seemed a bit too hack-and-slashly from what I played.

I preferred it on the 3DS so that would be the version I'll get, but I'm still thinking about it.

If my memory serves me correct, MH Tri contained a tutorial at the start of the game, so I'm sure this will too. The demos just showcase the "monster hunting", which doesn't really leave new players with a good impression as there is no tutorial.

Combat gets as involving as the player wants it to, the only things that are "unlocked" are new weapons, which can be crafted by using different monster parts. These are obtained by completing quests, carving monsters at the end of quests and there are also parts you can acquire by hitting a monster in a certain spot until it breaks off (Head, horns, etc.) you can also chop off tails which yield a part when carved.

Some weapon types allow you to block, some do not. It's all about the player's preferred play style and adopting new play styles, depending on the monster you're going up against. For all new players, I would recommend using the Sword and Shield as it's the easiest to get used to and you can block with it.

Can I ask why you preferred the 3DS version? You really should get the Wii U version, so you could play online with me, SirLink and whoever else will be getting the game. The game is great when played alone, but it's AMAZING when played online with other people. Especially people you "know". Smilie

Well, it's more the convenience factor. I don't really get the TV to myself for long and I know there's no off-tv play in the WiiU version, so handheld is the way to go.
Also, it's a case that the cheaper version would soften the blow if the series doesn't get me hooked, and I could always get the WiiU version later for cheaper and a fully developed character ready to go for online. Smilie

Thanks for the clarifications. I'll put in a pre-order. (Just beat the mutant bunny so I'm a little more eager now.Smilie)

There is actually a patch that allows one to play online with the 3DS version using a Wii U but you need a LAN adapter because from what I understand the 3DS takes up the wireless connection and then pretends to be a Wii U to connect to the online servers. It's Japan only and kinda complicated though. Smilie They probably did it to give the players who've had the 3DS version since late 2011 an option to play online without buying it on the Wii U as well, if they have one.

It's cool, though. The tutorial teaches you how to take care of yourself for the most part and you can just ask about anything else here. Smilie

( Edited 22.02.2013 10:31 by SirLink )

Our member of the week

OK so I managed to beat the Lagombi with the twin blades eventually (love that weapon btw), and then tackled the harder one with the Hunting Horn, managed to get it to flee once while limping but couldn't defeat it.

Okay, so apparently there will be a patch for the WiiU version of MH3U in April that will give it cross-region online play and off-TV play. 
Might have to reconsider my 3DS preorder now. :/

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Steven M

There are 1 members online at the moment.