Official Monster Hunter Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 24.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

It's excellent to see that Capcom is indeed listening. I won't be using Off-TV play since I'll stick to my Classic Controller Pro but cross-region online play is awesome. I know plenty of people including myself who'll appreciate and take advantage of that.

I'll hunt you down if you don't get the Wii U version now, Phoenom. The price difference is even smaller in the UK and like I said before, multiplayer is a huge part of the series.

yay!

SirLink said:
It's excellent to see that Capcom is indeed listening. I won't be using Off-TV play since I'll stick to my Classic Controller Pro but cross-region online play is awesome. I know plenty of people including myself who'll appreciate and take advantage of that.

I'll hunt you down if you don't get the Wii U version now, Phoenom. The price difference is even smaller in the UK and like I said before, multiplayer is a huge part of the series.

£10 is still a fair bit though. Help me find a copy for £35 and I'll bite. Smilie

Phoenom said:
£10 is still a fair bit though. Help me find a copy for £35 and I'll bite. Smilie

You're already lucky with the £38 and £39 offers that I saw on various UK websites. I wish I could get it around that price. >.> On Amazon Germany, the 3DS version is £39 and the Wii U version £51...and I'm pretty much screwed because I don't know of any other choice that is cheap and gets me the game in a timely manner. Smilie

Heh, I'll stick with my 3DS preorder for now and keep a beady eye out for offers in the runup to release. I'd be surprised if at least one retailer doesn't undercut the rest.

SirLink said:
Phoenom said:

You're already lucky with the £38 and £39 offers that I saw on various UK websites. I wish I could get it around that price. >.> On Amazon Germany, the 3DS version is £39 and the Wii U version £51...and I'm pretty much screwed because I don't know of any other choice that is cheap and gets me the game in a timely manner. Smilie

Wouldn't it be cheaper to download them off the eShop?

Phoenom said:

Cheapest is £37.98, the extra £3 is worth it because the multiplayer will extend the game's playtime by at least 300 hours. XD

Where did you see that offer? I'll get a few coins out of the swear jar for that. Smilie

L said:

I really dislike digital copies (especially of games I really care about) and can't actually buy anything from the eShop. :/ I still don't get why eShop cards aren't easily obtainable through online retailers because they certainly aren't in any shops in my area.

Phoenom said:
Where did you see that offer? I'll get a few coins out of the swear jar for that. Smilie

I'm guessing he means this one from Zavvi. That was one I mentioned yesterday rounded up to 38 pounds but I didn't think those two pence were a deciding factor for you. Smilie

SirLink said:
L said:

I really dislike digital copies (especially of games I really care about) and can't actually buy anything from the eShop. :/ I still don't get why eShop cards aren't easily obtainable through online retailers because they certainly aren't in any shops in my area.

Can't you use your credit card? If so it's cheaper just download it and then buy it later in the future when it's super cheap. I'm pretty sure the save files are shared between the disc and download version on Wii U. Not on the 3DS version yet though.

SirLink said:

Phoenom said:

I'm guessing he means this one from Zavvi. That was one I mentioned yesterday rounded up to 38 pounds but I didn't think those two pence were a deciding factor for you. Smilie

That's the one.

L said:
Can't you use your credit card? If so it's cheaper just download it and then buy it later in the future when it's super cheap. I'm pretty sure the save files are shared between the disc and download version on Wii U. Not on the 3DS version yet though.

All that comes up when I try that option to add funds is Visa or Mastercard which I don't have. I doubt that it'll even be cheaper to download at all. Many full-price games are £49.99 on the eShop, that's hardly cheaper than my retail copy. Even if it will end up being cheaper and I could actually buy it digitally, I'd have to wait until release day to find out. I'll just bite the bullet on this one, it's not like I'm not getting a ridiculous amount of playtime out of it.

That aside, I finished killing Lagombi and Plesioth with all weapon types yesterday. I'm liking the Bow more and more, particularly for slower and larger monsters like Plesioth because they're easier to do the arc shot on. Aiming with the R shoulder button is still kinda wonky for me (Am I doing something wrong? lol), so I just do the arc shot without aiming and judge the range based on my memory. It's also the only weapon where I really use the lock-on feature because I can't charge my bow with X, move with the L-stick and control the camera with the R-stick. With any other weapon, I forget that feature is even there.

Okay. Preordered the WiiU version. You guys better be the best team members ever! Smilie

Phoenom said:
Okay. Preordered the WiiU version. You guys better be the best team members ever! Smilie

Wise choice. Smilie Don't worry, it'll be totally awesome. Smilie

Phoenom said:
You're now officially in my good books. Smilie Looking forward to playing online with you guys.

SirLink said:

That aside, I finished killing Lagombi and Plesioth with all weapon types yesterday. I'm liking the Bow more and more, particularly for slower and larger monsters like Plesioth because they're easier to do the arc shot on. Aiming with the R shoulder button is still kinda wonky for me (Am I doing something wrong? lol), so I just do the arc shot without aiming and judge the range based on my memory. It's also the only weapon where I really use the lock-on feature because I can't charge my bow with X, move with the L-stick and control the camera with the R-stick. With any other weapon, I forget that feature is even there.

Yeah aiming with the bow is a bit weird because you have to stop moving if you want to aim but like you said the lock on feature sort of makes up for it. I hate how the camera angle moves up after using an arc shot underwater, still haven't got used to it yet. If you press the home button during the demo you can access the manual that tells you how to use each weapon.
I was surprised to find out that different charge levels of the bow do different things for example level 1 charge will fire a piercing arrow while the level 2 charge will fire a scatter shot. I just assumed charging it just increased the arrows strength. Also the arc shot is different with each bow, the bow in the demo uses an impact damage arc shot.
From all the weapons I've used in the demo I think I've taken a liking to the Hunting Horn the most. It's like a better version of the Hammer plus you can move really fast with it. It must be amazing in a team. So I'm going to alternate between the Gunlance and the Hunting Horn in the actual game. 

L said:

Yeah aiming with the bow is a bit weird because you have to stop moving if you want to aim but like you said the lock on feature sort of makes up for it. I hate how the camera angle moves up after using an arc shot underwater, still haven't got used to it yet. If you press the home button during the demo you can access the manual that tells you how to use each weapon.
I was surprised to find out that different charge levels of the bow do different things for example level 1 charge will fire a piercing arrow while the level 2 charge will fire a scatter shot. I just assumed charging it just increased the arrows strength. Also the arc shot is different with each bow, the bow in the demo uses an impact damage arc shot.
From all the weapons I've used in the demo I think I've taken a liking to the Hunting Horn the most. It's like a better version of the Hammer plus you can move really fast with it. It must be amazing in a team. So I'm going to alternate between the Gunlance and the Hunting Horn in the actual game. 

I did some research too and there's a lot more to the Bow than meets the eye. Using it underwater is just weird though. It'll definitely stay a land-only weapon for me. So you're going to use just two weapon types? I think I'll use a lot more than that if I can keep up crafting them. Sword and Shield, Dual Swords and Long Sword will probably be my main weapons but I also want to use the Bow, Lance, Gunlance and Hammer depending on the situation. It'll be awesome to hunt with a Hunting Horn user though. Smilie

Yeah I'm just going to be using those 2 types and occasionally the Dual Blades and Bow because I used the other weapons enough in Tri so I'm just going to be using the new weapons.

19 more days left!

Our member of the week

Is there any kind of weapon that you could call middle-heavy in Monster Hunter? Because as I am playing Darksiders II right now, I'm taking great pleasure in using the heavy lances, axes and maces in that game, doing combos with them. But nothing in Monster Hunter Tri that I can remember of quite compares to that, all the heavy weapons I ever tried in Tri were MUCH slower, so in order to feel comfortable I would always resort to any faster weapons, but which can't quite deal the same amount of damage. Any suggestion?

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

That's fair enough, I played through most of Tri with the Sword and Shield and later Long Sword once it became available. Long Sword should be a much better choice this time around because the number of them in Tri was really low. For a long time, you had really limited options and even then it lacked Poison and Sleep as well as an Ice element without Awakening. I didn't start using Hammer and Lance until I did arena quests and started farming Alatreon and Deviljho, so I want to use them earlier this time around.

@Rudy: I haven't played Darksiders II yet so I'm not sure how those weapons feel but I guess the closest weapon to that might be the Long Sword? Not as fast as the Sword and Shield or Dual Swords but also not as slow as the heavy ones like Great Sword or Switchaxe (in axe mode anyway). Using the fade slashes (A+X and hold left/right to hop to either side or nothing to jump backwards) also gives you some decent mobility with the weapon out and if used correctly you can quickly retreat out of a combo if you lacked time to dodge it normally. It received some slight changes since Portable 3rd and has a more consistent damage output now too.

( Edited 03.03.2013 15:11 by SirLink )

RudyC3 said:
Is there any kind of weapon that you could call middle-heavy in Monster Hunter? Because as I am playing Darksiders II right now, I'm taking great pleasure in using the heavy lances, axes and maces in that game, doing combos with them. But nothing in Monster Hunter Tri that I can remember of quite compares to that, all the heavy weapons I ever tried in Tri were MUCH slower, so in order to feel comfortable I would always resort to any faster weapons, but which can't quite deal the same amount of damage. Any suggestion?

Probably the Switch Axe, you can move around quite fast with it in Axe mode and it's attacks aren't too slow, in Sword mode you move quite slowly but the attacks are faster than the axe's, plus you can attack straight after a dodge with it.
Long Sword could be an option as well like SirLink said.

Our member of the week

Never tried the switch axe before, so I went ahead and tried and god is it slow Smilie... The Long Sword is a bit faster, but nothing quite like i wished it was... Still not sure I'll buy this game, I can't find any weapon in it that makes me happy (I had to cheat on Wii to beat the solo mode in Tri, otherwise I wouldn't have ever made it to the end). The monsters always move so fast that 90% of my hits don't even touch my target and the character takes AGES to recover from its missed moves, leaving him stupidly open for seconds to any attack coming at him.

The learning curve is too steep for me, I have like a hundred games left to beat, so I don't have 100 hours to spend with it to master its controls. If Capcom hopes for a breakthrough in the west, I don't think they'll get it with a game that asks that much dedication.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is £34.18 (Wii U) and £26.99 (3DS) from Zavvi but only for today. You need to enter the code "POG10".

Capcom posted a very nice list full of stats explaining in detail just how big of a game Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate really is and that calling it a port of Monster Hunter Tri is just simply wrong. I already knew roughly how much was added to it but seeing all those numbers is just really impressive and exciting! Less than a week to go now! Smilie

For a shorter summary, this picture says pretty much all a hunter needs to know.

Image for

So true:

Image for

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz, Sandy Wilson

There are 2 members online at the moment.