Has a video game ever gotten you interested in a new band/singer?

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

I think I've reached the point where I've discovered more of my favourite bands from games than I have done from radio. Heres just a few that come to mind.

Queens of the Stone Age - Need for speed Underground 2
Skindred - Need for speed Underground 2
Placebo - A formula 1 game on PS1
Mindless Self Indulgence - Lollipop Chainsaw
Feeder - Gran Turismo 2
Cage the Elephant - Borderlands
Bad Religion - Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
NOFX - Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Foster The People - SSX
The Naked and Famous - SSX
Rob Zombie -Twisted Metal

Interesting thread! Can't say there's actually much that springs to mind in terms of discovering new bands. I remember I hadn't really properly got into Incubus until they did that Halo 2 soundtrack (which featured in a much more compressed and stripped down form within small segments of the game) - other than that, I guess it's mostly down to (generally speaking) games these days only featuring quite popular and well known artists. It's a shame there's not more developers willing to latch on to lesser-known upcoming artists .

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

Not necessarily in game, but more from a trailer perspective - if the music is done right it gets me excited. Some examples:

Nico Vega - Beast (Bioshock Infinite) 
The Heavy - Short Change Hero (Borderlands 2 intro)

There's loads more too.

Only I can think of would be "Queens of the Stone age" from playing Jak X,
I did however get a game only for the reason that one of my favorite bands made a song for it. And that the protagonist was based on a finish actor (me being originally from soumi-land). Band being "Poets of the Fall" and game being Alan Wake.

Our member of the week

The most recent Burnout games have some great Indie Rock bands in them of which I had never heard of before, so these have gotten me into some new bands, yup! Namely Burnout Paradise and Burnout revenge, I like at least 50% of the songs in those, and by extension the bands making them.

1080° Avalanche introduced me to Seether as well, which I quite like Smilie.

( Edited 10.12.2012 21:39 by RudyC3 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Forza Horizon has an absolutely brilliant collection of music, got that recently and had to mention it. 

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

the Guitar Hero did.

Gaming said:
the Guitar Hero did.

I am surprised it took that long for someone to mention Guitar Hero. There are so many awesome songs on these games and it did get me in to a few songs.

Any games with licensed music tends to have a few gems in there FIFA and Tony Hawks are great examples of this. I have really loved the songs in the last 4/5 FIFA's.

Most notably for me 1080 Avalanche got me into a band called Seether. Probably one of the only Nintendo games to have franchised music!

Quite frankly i am surprised that not more bands would be pushing for their songs to be in more games, i can imagine it would be very lucrative in the long run to be!

I also love this and this

Yup,

Cage the Elephant - Borderlands

Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and most recently GTA V have got me interested in new artists. Surprisingly Non Stop FM was my favorite station on GTA V even though I heavily prefer rock and metal as my favorite genre of music. Though there wasn't really a modern rock or metal station.

Former 2003-2006 poster known as Silver13 and F.O.R.M. (Fan of Rock Music).

Smashing Pumpkins, Bloc Party, The Strokes, The Fall of Troy, Eric Johnson - had heard of these artists before, but got more interested after GHIII.

And Supergrass after playing... Donkey Konga lol!

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Nayu

There are 1 members online at the moment.