Cubed3 Nintendo gaming, Wii and DS

Beyond Good and Evil Review

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: Today 20:47
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

What if the army that had sworn to protect you became entangled with the enemy? This is the question Rayman creator Michel Ancel has put forth in his latest creation Beyond Good and Evil. Adapting and expanding upon the style of solid gameplay found in the most recent of the Legend of Zelda series, developer UbiSoft has created a very compelling adventure for gamers to immerse themselves.

Although the core gameplay of Beyond Good and Evil is very much borrowed from Nintendo's Zelda series, UbiSoft has employed enough variety to keep things fresh. Protagonist Jade is a photographer and missions are more about taking incriminating pictures than they are about senseless destruction. Jade's camera is also used on the side to record pictures of the diverse animal life on the planet, unique in that it rewards players for becoming more fully aware of the gaming environment.

Since she is an investigative journalist, a lot of stealth is involved in gameplay. For the most part this is pulled off well, although some of the challenges can get to be a little frustrating. Thankfully, the developer was very forgiving in terms of punishment for failure and tends to place Jade right before the challenge in which she was defeated.

Although stealth is an infiltrator's general rule of thumb, occasionally Jade will find herself in a mess where the only solution is to run like mad. There are a couple very fast-paced chase sequences reminiscent of the Sonic Adventure series that really provide a rush of adrenaline.

Similar to Link, Jade has a vehicle to move around in the overworld. UbiSoft has employed this element to much greater lengths than Nintendo did in Wind Waker. Jade begins with a basic hovercraft, but throughout the game can upgrade it and eventually replace it all together with a spaceship. Besides basic transportation, these vehicles are used for racing, entering facilities, chasing bandits, and Star Fox-like combat.

What's most impressive about Beyond Good and Evil's variety is the way in which the diverse gameplay elements flow together almost effortlessly. At one point in the story, Jade must enter a slaughterhouse and finds out that the only way in is in the middle of one of the racetracks. Meanwhile, missions often go on much longer than you expect them to. Just because you defeated a boss doesn't mean you're done with the area. You never really can predict exactly what will be coming next in this adventure.

Jade is accompanied by at least one sidekick much of the time, and this system is employed very well. They act on their own for the most part but can be given context-sensitive orders by Jade with the touch of the Y button. They occasionally do get in the way of either Jade or the camera, but it never became a major issue for me during play.

Probably the most compelling aspect of Beyond Good and Evil is its narrative. Unlike many games where the story is really more of a purpose such as

all this feedback is overwhelming . Smilie

I really should get this game, I've been wanting too for ages, but always seem to get sidetracked, nice review, succinct, and blanaced

Yeah me too, but for me in clashed with the Wind Waker, and going to play OOT soon as well, so not really too keen on another adventure game...

This is an excellent game, well worth the budget price. I just completed a week ago, got cheesed off with the ending and now...

Guys, maybe I should send it to one of you guys, then after you finish it (it won't take long) you pass it on? Seriously...

Anyway, nice review Kroova, now I want to know if they'll actually get a sequel for it...

"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh." Fly fast, stay low, hit hard
Guide to using the Metroid Bounty Hunters.
{Guild}Ohmdal: But how did you get the poo inside of the box when the goat was sleeping on top of it?
{Guild}Ohmdal: oops wrong chat

POP got a sequel, but since BYG&E, didn't do as well, Ubi Soft, may not see as much profit in it.

Damn it all i got sidetracked also, is beyond good and evil worth putting on hold all other games????

(Signature width too big)
View Sig
"Im a bouncer, i make a living putting my life on the line"

Anyway, incase anyone had forgotten, this thread is about the review more than anything else. Smilie

It's very well written Kroova. Nice job. Smilie

Sex on television doesn't do any harm unless you fall off.

frazzle wrote:
This is an excellent game, well worth the budget price. I just completed a week ago, got cheesed off with the ending and now...

Guys, maybe I should send it to one of you guys, then after you finish it (it won't take long) you pass it on? Seriously...

Anyway, nice review Kroova, now I want to know if they'll actually get a sequel for it...

Send it my way Fraz

<:: Lee Sanders :: Cubed-3 :: News Reporter :: Writer :: Head Of Secret Operations:: Resisdentual Slacker ::> On Twitter = LeeTSanders I have a Cubed3 limited Edition mug!
DO YOU! So Cute - bit.ly/yIEgXv

i payed 20

its a chocobo(lets get 2 chocobos and make a chocobo baby)"that is inapropriat" ff is the best

Nice review Kroova, very enjoyable.
Whatever happened to the 'Great Cubed 3 BG&E World Tour'?

In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king.

the one Frazzle started the game has already begun its tour and its the person who receives it resposibilty to pass it on.
Also frazzle is tottaly gone from the site.

We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh

heh, I'll give you AU$15 if you mail it to Australia Smilie
that would be about &7 (yes I'm aware that's not the pound sign, I'm just expressing my anger towards keyboard companies, in fact, who needs another asterisk on the number 8 key? there's already one on the numpad, ect. ect.)

Smilie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Duffman ~~~~~~~~~
"If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything", Daniel Dennett

Redking wrote:

Is that why he posted 5 posts above you? Smilie

In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Redking wrote:

Yeah he quit..... *sniggers*

<:: Lee Sanders :: Cubed-3 :: News Reporter :: Writer :: Head Of Secret Operations:: Resisdentual Slacker ::> On Twitter = LeeTSanders I have a Cubed3 limited Edition mug!

It is the Summer, so its very likely he is away!

Sharpshot wrote:
It is the Summer, so its very likely he is away!

Yes.... or this? Smilie

We have got to get lee AWAY from the sugar in future.

Anyway yeah he posted 5 above me but that was about 19 days before bellsy soooo lol

We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh

Isn't Frazzle moving or something?
I believe he said his computer has been packed away. So that'd explain the no show recently.

O and nice review Kroova.

<1187>

Yeah, he's moving to Blackpool. Said something about he hates Scotland and ......Chilli... he doesn't like chilli? Smilie

Ah yes, the famous Scottish Chillis, reknowned for sending many a gaming kilt wearing lad to Blackpool. Smilie

Dont even joke about how bloody freezing it is to wear a kilt!
I dont know how Blackpool will be TOO much better although we do have the northern wind or some crap up here. Frazzles left Scotland But how will he get to EIGF in edinburgh with the same ease!
Frazzles Left Scotland, Omg your right the air its somehow lighter, the dark clouds are parting I can see the sunlight and I suddenly have a higher sense of wellbeing. Smilie Smilie Smilie

Just joking Frazzle scotland wont be the same without you. For one thing there will be a hell of a lot more chocolate and chocolate related paraphenial for the rest of us Smilie

Sharpshot wrote:
Ah yes, the famous Scottish Chillis, reknowned for sending many a gaming kilt wearing lad to Blackpool. Smilie

So I am not the only one who has heard of it!

Actually picked up this game today... Looks good, yet to play though.

May I point you to Tempo's review here.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.

Follow this topic Follow this topic

Keep up with new comments with the RSS feed for this topic, or subscribe via email above.

Share this topic Share this topic

Turqoise Radio - Cubed3's Glass to the Wall
Latest news and updatesSite Feed
Vote on our latest community pollNintendo Poll
Vote: Which eShop Games will you Download this Week?
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl Demo
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Golden Sun
I am in the Movie
Mario Golf: World Tour Demo
My Exotic Farm
My Farm
Nintendo Pocket Football Club
Putty Squad
Tiny Games - Knights & Dragons
Member of the weekMember of the Week
This week's top member is jres80, awarded the most stars for great posts.
Online Play and ChatOnline Nintendo Play & Chat
General Chatroom: Click here to chat Wii U Nintendo Network Codes - Find other Nintendo Wii U users 3DS Nintendo Network Codes - Find other Nintendo 3DS users
Listen to our Nintendo Jukebox - Classic Mario, Zelda, Metroid songs and more Nintendo news and reviews on the move