The Xbox/360/720 Topic

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 18.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Image for

Discussion for all things Xbox

Well it's about time C3 had a more proper place to discuss Microsoft's brand of consoles, they've been around long enough afterall. Smilie
But really, since it's been so long since the old Xbox Live Thread was used, I figured it'd be appropriate to have a new thread to not only discuss Xbox Live, but the original Xbox, Xbox 360, and the hot topic of the moment, the Xbox One.
-------------
Xbox Live Gamertags
Here will be a collection of all the Gamertags posted in this thread. If you wanna post your Gamertag but don't want to be on the OP, just say!

• Cubed3 Username | Gamertag
  •  
-------------

Recent Xbox news bulletin:

• Xbox One confirmed, though the conference didn't seem to address many concerns.
  • A lot of questionable, anti-consumer moves that MS will hopefully backpedal on.
Any developments, games, and thoughts on Microsoft's console-line can be discussed here, no worries. (Fancy seeing the worst of the new console rumours and how gamers feel about them? This other thread may be for you.)

( Edited 25.06.2014 11:06 by Azuardo )

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

The always online thing sounds like a pain to me. If the lock on pre-owned games is also true, I'm definitely not bothering with it. Shame, the 360 was probably my favourite console this gen.

I don't support companies that treat their customers with contempt and arrogance, which was partially the reason for me never buying a PS3.

Currently, it seems that Microsoft are no longer even pretending to support games creatively or meaningfully in any way. There's been no show of integrity in their behaviour for a while. They've concentrated on their primary business plan, which seems to comprise of having their expensive Kinnect-controlled media centre to be in the living room of every 20-something male with a taste for sports, Netflix subscriptions and the 13th edition of some video game blockbuster that is probably called Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. That's it. I think they show a complete lack of respect for the video game industry and a presumption on the loyalty of their audience.

They annoyed me when my Xbox 360 died twice, and then they decided to shit down my everyone's throat with their weak casual player pandering, and their dashboard plastered with advertisements, which they continue to charge for.

(If true, but probably not) Durango won't allow second hand games? Fuck you too Microsoft. Sony look to have learnt their lessons.

( Edited 18.04.2013 14:28 by Slydevil )

IANC said:
Dude yuor totally awesome. And i won't be killing you anytime soon.

I'm not sure about the second-hand games thing, Sony also still have to speak out in fact on that matter but I doubt we have to worry as much about the PS4.

According to this new "leak" (read: more rumours), Microsoft are actually making two new Xbox thingies.

• Main goal for both is to compete with Apple TV
  • The "Xbox Mini" is a redesigned 360 made to compete with Apple TV. Oh boy.
  • Won't play discs, only digital games, so like the PSP Go was to the original PSP?
  • The only way for Durango to be backwards compatible is by using it with the Xbox Mini, so it's basically like an extension that can also be used alone. When you connect the Xbox Mini and Durango, you can run 360 discs on the Durango.
  • The original 360 can't be used for BC, you may as well just play games on it!
  • This kinda implies that the Durango at base will not have the ability to run Xbox or 360 games at all, not even via cloud?
  • Both systems will work offline for games that do not require online, but system functionality will be useless without "always-online"
  • It won't block second-hand games
If this is true, it doesn't sound too bad, but eesh it's a lot to take in. Very confusing business model, not really "consumer friendly" like the apple of Microsoft's eye (Apple, badumtss).

I'm not sure why MS are so determined to see Apple as their rival rather than the other actual games industry members, it seems like the Durango will not be a games console but more like a multimedia device of the most multimedia kind. Either way, doesn't sound as bad as it did before.

That guy who caused offense on Twitter has been ousted by the company.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400417/adam-orth-leaves-microsoft-following-public-defense-of-always-online/

New XBOX will be fully intergrated into existing TV's via a cable box connection.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-10-the-next-xbox-will-be-fully-integrated-into-your-tv-via-a-cable-box-connection-report

( Edited 11.04.2013 10:22 by Linkyshinks )

Hmm, I'm more likely to consider it if second-hand games aren't blocked then. Still confused by the 'always online' thing though. Definitely won't bother with the Xbox Mini, seems pointless if it doesn't run discs.

I can understand that adding backwards compatibility to a successor with totally different fundamentals is probably tough, so it's good that the option of the Xbox Mini is there for people who really need BC. I just hope that it's small enough to not make the system look ugly as heck when mounted on the Durango. Remember how well the 32X did? Me neither, so Microsoft had better be careful with that idea if it's true.

It is confusing, but from the sound of thise "leak", the always-online functionality is like a more extreme version of the WiiU. When you're playing the WiiU offline, the WaraWara Plaza is full of Miis saying "go online to do this or that!" and all you can really do is play games. It's a games console, so that's good enough, but what would the extreme of that be? An internet connection is required to do simple tasks on the system, and what if only a select few retail games now work without a connection? It's gonna be interesting to see how it turns out.

Also, considering how little I play my 360, I'm currently in the "not bothered to get Xbox Mini" crowd, in the chances I do get a Durango, spending an additional £100 for a BC add-on doesn't sound too appealing when I could just set up my 360 if I ever wanted to play those games.
XBLA games better be compatible with Durango without the Mini though :/ that's still the worst-sounding thing about the PS4 for me.

VGleaks isn't trustworthy so this could go either way, but I will say that the Xbox Mini would have been of interest to me had it not have been digital only. I've never bought a 360 but there are still a few games on it that I would like to play, and I've owned the majority of consoles anyway, so I would like to add 360 to the collection one day. Would the entire 360 back catalogue be up for download? How much would a 7-year old game cost on it now? I'd probably be better off buying a current 360 and getting the physical games much cheaper off ebay instead. Shame, because it could definitely have been of interest to me.

I'm not even sure from the sounds of this Xbox Mini that it could take off, either. Like you said, SL, the 32X failed. The PSP Go failed. The Wii Mini has failed. Releasing a dumbed-down 360 at this point in time, one that is digital-only, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Azuardo said:
Would the entire 360 back catalogue be up for download? How much would a 7-year old game cost on it now? I'd probably be better off buying a current 360 and getting the physical games much cheaper off ebay instead. Shame, because it could definitely have been of interest to me.

Nope, only the Xbox on-demand games would be up for download, which is a good chunk, but still not everything. Similar problem the PSPGo had in that aspect too, a dedicated console missing a chunk of its own content. I guess it depends on the kind of game you wanna play though, since Tales of Vesperia is far cheaper digitally than physically. The original 360 isn't expensive second-hand, so I'm not sure who exactly the Xbox Mini appeals to.. unless people really want BC that much, and I spose to cut down on wires and space around your TV it'd do that job.

I'm not even sure from the sounds of this Xbox Mini that it could take off, either. Like you said, SL, the 32X failed. The PSP Go failed. The Wii Mini has failed. Releasing a dumbed-down 360 at this point in time, one that is digital-only, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

The main difference is that I'm assuming it'll be a heavily marketed accessory, whether that does it any good remains to be seen, but the 3 you just mentioned had practically non-existent marketing.

Bumpety:

Unrelated to the Durango (still stuck in a perpetual state of rumourings), Microsoft have announced a campaign to get Japanese gamers into the 360. Nice icea in theory, but as they say "poor execution"?

If Japan makes it to a million hours, Microsoft Japan will give 400 MSP to gold members (enough to get some older XBLA games) and 30 MSP for free members.The catch is not all Xbox 360 games are counted towards Japan's Xbox 360 play time.

So basically, if Japanese players spend 1million hours on the 360 collectively over the next month, they'll get 400 free Microsoft points (only if they have Xbox Live). Yaaay.. 400? You can buy what, a mediocre indie game or a DLC costume with that? Free members only get 30 points which is about as useful a penny.

This kind of promotion might be nice for western users, but this really isn't enough of an incentive to get a region that isn't too into the 360 into the 360. Maybe if they offered 1000 MSP for success, it'd have been a bit more neat. Plus it only works with 20 games.. most of which are FPS. It'll be interesting to see if Japan achieves this (if they do I bet it'll be through Monster Hunter Frontier)

( Edited 17.04.2013 11:25 by SuperLink )

Microsoft confirmed that it will hold a press event on May 21st at the company's headquarters in Redmond, Washington to "give you a real taste of the future."

"On Tuesday May 21st, we'll mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment"

"On that day, we'll be holding a special press event on the Xbox campus and we invite you to join us via the live global stream that will be available on Xbox.com, Xbox Live and broadcast on Spike TV if you are in the US or Canada.

"Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we'll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.""We are thrilled to pull back the curtain and reveal what we've been working on."

edit:

( Edited 24.04.2013 20:44 by Linkyshinks )

I'm looking forward to seeing what's revealed. While the silence on the industry issues is worrying, I'm confident it won't be as bad as people think.

If there's any time for developers to learn from their audiences rather than further alienate and aggravate them, it's now when the industry is going through a nasty transitionary period..

Bump: Paul Thurrott, a guy who does review and preview for beta Microsoft stuff and is a trustworthy inside source, has this to say on the 720;

Early announce. The initial reveal date was pushed back from April 24 to May 21 so that Microsoft could better position the device against the PlayStation 4, which Sony announced in late February.

Full (end user) announce. Microsoft will fully reveal details about the next Xbox, including the launch lineup of games, on the eve of the E3 tradeshow in early June 2013.

Developer announce? It appears that Microsoft will discuss the next Xbox developer platform at the Build conference in San Francisco in late June, based on clues on the Build website.

Launch. The next Xbox will launch in early November 2013.

Windows 8 Core. The next Xbox is based on the "Core" (base) version of Windows 8. This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8. It also suggests that Microsoft could open up this platform to enthusiast developers. (That last bit is supposition on my part.)

Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console: a standalone version for $499 and a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

No entertainment box. Microsoft originally planned to offer both a "full" version of the next Xbox (with video game playing capabilities) and a lower-end entertainment-oriented version, code-named "Yuma," that didn't provide gaming capabilities. But plans for Yuma are on hold, and no pure entertainment version of the next Xbox will appear in 2013 (or possibly ever).

Blu-ray. The next Xbox will include a Blu-ray optical drive.

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be Internet-connected to use. This is the source of the "always on"/"always online" rumors and isn't as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Another Xbox 360. Microsoft will also deliver a third-generation Xbox 360 console this year that will be significantly less expensive than the current models. The new Xbox 360 is code-named "Stingray," but it's not clear whether this device is required because the next Xbox isn't backward-compatible or because Microsoft simply wants a low-cost entertainment box alternative. (A third possibility—and to be clear, these possible reasons are all speculative—is that the Xbox 360 simply has life left in it and with dwindling component prices in the 8 years since the original launch, the firm can still make money selling such a device.)

Sneaky; the subscription model may seem cheaper but it works out to at least $540 in the end. I really hope a lot of this isn't true, some of these factors would really turn people off the system.

( Edited 25.04.2013 21:09 by SuperLink )

IllumiRoom for Xbox 720

Works well, I can see lots of possibilities with this in all manner of games.

Watch_Dogs Trailer

( Edited 29.04.2013 17:10 by Linkyshinks )

Ok, I'm sorry, but can someone PLEASE explain to me what this "IllumiRoom" is? Like I've said before, I was never a big Xbox person, And I can't be bothered to look it up.

CrystalMushroom said:
Ok, I'm sorry, but can someone PLEASE explain to me what this "IllumiRoom" is? Like I've said before, I was never a big Xbox person, And I can't be bothered to look it up.

Just watch the video right above you?

I think it's a pretty cool idea. Gimmicky, but cool. I wonder how much it would cost, though, and I don't exactly have a coffee table in front of me to use something like that. In fact, my TV is in a corner, so I doubt it'd work properly at all. Would only be suited for people with space, but it's cool nonetheless. Though, it did look odd having the gun on the TV in an FPS, and then seeing no actual person when you can see behind him. I felt like I needed to be seeing the rest of the character. Some interesting ideas there, though.

I thought it was a concept Nintendo would beat them to last year. 

By the way, if anyone's seen the new ~confirmed Xbox name~ as Xbox Infinity, it's fake and the creator of the logo has come forward already.

A shame, as I quite liked the name! One of the better system names to come out of the industry recently. I can't wait to see what the real name is though, I pray it's not something as ugly sounding as "Durango". Smilie

Bump

This thread isn't as popular as I was expecting! So what's the verdict on the "Xbox One"? Some impresions;

• Visuals aren't really all that impressive, they look like current PC or even late PS3 games
  • The tech is impressive, but it's very similar to what they've been trying already, it'll sell as an entertainment hub, not a games system, which is their goal I spose.
  • 15 exclusives in the first year, no idea what any of them are yet because apparently they hate showing games
  • Halo TV series sounds cool! But.. again, that's not a video game
  • Supposedly not backwards compatible with 360 games.
  • Quantum Break rhymes with Alan Wake
  • It can be used offline but it might block used games
If that last one is true, that'd be shocking.

But eh, either way I'm not really excited. The Kinect stuff is impressive, but it didn't impress me, it knows what audience it's going after but apparently I'm not part of it. I generally am more comfortable using buttons over gestures to control my systems, so all that sci-fi stuff is cool, but I can't see myself using it in that way often. Also.. yeah, the graphics didn't impress me much, it looks like more of the same, which is ok, but that's also why we're seeing consoles that focus on things other than visuals, eh?

Bring on E3, I really hope they show some games there.

Update on pre-owned games: Wanna play a pre-owned game? Gotta go through a paywall!

All games require a mandatory installation, expect DRM control to come hand in hand with this

( Edited 21.05.2013 19:23 by SuperLink )

I AM A PROPHET.

Good to see a complete lack of imagination on display. It reaffirms how much I don't want to buy a Microsoft console again.

IANC said:
Dude yuor totally awesome. And i won't be killing you anytime soon.

Until I see a game that really impresses me I'll stick with the Wii U xD

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

Looking at stocks on Google;

• Microsoft stocks are plummeting
  • Nintendo stocks are rising
  • Sony stocks are soaring
All this is a result of the event, Microsoft better save themselves at E3.

Also; there is a feeling amongst some that E3 dropped Wii U support because Microsoft's mandatory paywall and installation give EA the kind of DRM control they wanted to have on the Wii U (but Nintendo denied them)

So if those rumours are true, DRM control could get much worse before it gets better.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/ea-microsoft-ink-strategic-partnership-for-xbox-one/

I wonder if this strategic partnership is like the one they formed with Nintendo - releasing a couple of rushed ports at launch before dropping all support for the Xbox One a couple months in. Smilie

It's funny how EA recently announced they won't be doing online passes anymore. Now we know why, it's because the Xbox One will do all that for them. Wii U isn't getting any games from them in the near future but how that will work on the PS4 then? I can't imagine EA not doing any DRM there too.

Maybe EA figured it can't function without Sony's userbase.. I really pray that Sony isn't doing a similar thing with DRM or used games.

Also, a bit more bad news (well I consider it bad)
Xbox One won't work unless Kinect is plugged in.

I don't wanna sound like someone who watches too much sci-fi, but this does make me worry for my privacy somewhat. What do they have to gain by forcing you to keep your voice recording camera on all the time you use the console? Why can't we just play the Xbox One without Kinect?

Awesome, sounds like I won't be buying one then. Honestly a bit relieved, I have neither the time or money to rock all the consoles for another gen. I'll be going back to Nintendo exclusive methinks, maaybe grabbing a PS4 when they get cheap.

Anyone got a link to the unveil video?

I think you can watch it here?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2013/05/21/video-live-stream-microsoft-xbox-event/

Still eager to find out what those 15 exclusive games are. The features of the thing really put me off.. so I'll be a bit irked if it gets some games I really want.

Big brother is watching you!

EDIT: Jesus, apparently since games are account locked, you have to pay extra to use a game on a different account, even if it's on the same console. It's rumoured to be £400.

I wonder if people still think this will destroy the Wii U Smilie

( Edited 21.05.2013 20:29 by SuperLink )

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, jesusraz

There are 2 members online at the moment.