Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - Official Topic

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Discuss Mario Kart 8 (Wii U), news, the latest pictures and videos!

CloudTom Cruise

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

I'm sorry but I have to post these up. Amazing.

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

( Edited 02.06.2014 15:51 by Phoenom )

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=114430387#post114430387 <- 1.2m copies sold over the weekend.

Image for

( Edited 02.06.2014 19:22 by Stulaw )

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Mario Kart 8 is now officially the best selling console game on Amazon (US) in 2014 beating games like Titanfall and Infamous Second Son.

1) Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
2) Titanfall (Xbox One)
3) GTA V (Xbox 360)
4) GTA V (PS3)
5) Infamous: Second Son (PS4)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames

Great patch incoming on 27th August for MK8.

8/27 update to add map display on the TV screen, 3 free Mercedes-Benz karts: GLA, W25 Silver Arrow, 300 SL Roadster.

Records screen w/ total coins, online win-loss record, character selection rates, etc. being added. Improved online stability.

Default menu selection following GP changing to next race. Last used kart customization added to save. Edit others' highlights.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869000

Lots of seriously badly needed updates there. Really glad Nintendo has been listening.

Still things I think need fixing yet, but they've got a lot of main ones down there.

Interested to see if online runs any better for me. I did get a new router, but still got d/cs.

Our member of the week

Azuardo said:
Still things I think need fixing yet, but they've got a lot of main ones down there..

Yeah... true battle arenas for crying out loud !!

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Battle arenas is a huge one and a big turn off for me right now.

Have to admit, this game hasn't held my interest as long as I'd have liked at all. Really, really needed strong single-player content like adventure/missions. This desperately has to change in the next game.

Our member of the week

Online races have been fun enough for me so far, now that I start getting to know the tracks a bit better and I found a kart that I'm comfortable playing with. I quite like to pop it in and play two-player online with my bro Smilie. I don't understand why they didn't implement into the Wii U the option to join your friends from the friends list like they did on 3DS though. Wasted opportunity here, they know how to do it but they didn't.

The coin counter will be good for me to get around to 100%ing the game. We should really arrange another session in the near future, a while after it came out the WC showed up and put several people out of commission (mostly Az lol) and this is one of those games where it's best to have a lot of people, ideally eight or more.

Maybe we can have a session around when the patch gets released?

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

Yeah, would love to play online again with everyone, it's been a while.

Our member of the week

You guys been playing MH3U a lot too, which has made playing MK8 together a bit harder XD.

That's just my back-up plan. Smilie It's far easier to simply tell Mush and sometimes Lewis to get their ass on MH3U instead of organising a MK8 session with lots of people. Smilie

Still a bit put off going online due to the balancing plus the insane amount of people who fire hop. Doesn't make it so enjoyable, really.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

jb said:
Still a bit put off going online due to the balancing plus the insane amount of people who fire hop. Doesn't make it so enjoyable, really.
You never played online with us anyway, you fanny.

I assume 'fanny' is as popular in England as it is in Wales now. Keep it up.

I found another thing that annoys me in MK8. The number of points you get added or taken off at the end of an online race disappears far too quickly. I swear in MKWii the added points stayed up there next to your total points even after they were added, but in MK8, I have this tendency to look away at my PC or something as soon as I finish a race, and then when I look up, I have no idea how many points I just won or lost. I wish the totals just stayed up there. Annoyinnnnng.

Mush said:
jb said:
You never played online with us anyway, you fanny.
Truth.

Our member of the week

Been playing the game online rather consistently. At the moment what annoys me most are the amount of people who do leave after you win a couple races XD. You start out with twelve, play 5 races, win like 3 out of 5 and manage to stay well ranked for the most part, and after these 5 you end up with only 5 people in play and no one else joining. They need to fix how they attribute people to new rooms when they come online methinks. I end up having to log out and log back in to try my luck with another group of people to try and get more people. You don't win enough VRs when you play with just four or five XD.

I'm still waiting for the patch to get back into it. My motivation to get 10k coins to :Complete: it on backloggery will be far higher when I actually know how much freaking progress I'm making. I have absolutely no idea how many I have, could be anywhere from 3000 to 6000.

Our member of the week

Yeah I must be slightly below that, although my many weekly local multiplayer sessions on week-ends must have made my count go up.

Another thing I noticed when I made a profile on my Wii U for my brother to have his own save file, is that the coins he earned when playing online two-players with me, using my own player profile, DID count towards his own count of coins!! When he started playing solo on my system he already had collected 1500 coins and unlocked a bunch of kart parts as a result Smilie (had to enter and exit the one player kart select menu 15 times for all of them appear though, which sucks. If you made more than one hundred, all unlocked parts should appear at once, that also should be fixed in my opinion)

( Edited 18.08.2014 10:29 by RudyC3 )

I've noticed the same room decreasing issue Rudy, and then no one else joins to increase the count again. I end up leaving and researching after a few races too. It's definitely a weird matchup system in place. So many little niggles wrong with this game that it makes you wonder why so many were made.

I think one of the main things I want is for friends to be able to choose whichever track they want in friend lobbies. We can't actually choose to have an N64-only tourney at all now, unless we get lucky and they appear in the selection. That, and choosing the items for friend lobbies is also a big one for me.

Our member of the week

And why can't we join friend races from the friends list like on 3DS ?? 3DS is a vastly inferior piece of kit and yet you could on there !! And it was brilliant in my opinion!! Should be standard across most games on the home console as well in my opinion, and all the more on THE online game for the system (until Smash Bros comes along) !!

Azuardo said:
I think one of the main things I want is for friends to be able to choose whichever track they want in friend lobbies. We can't actually choose to have an N64-only tourney at all now, unless we get lucky and they appear in the selection. That, and choosing the items for friend lobbies is also a big one for me.
Wait, what? You can definitely do the former, no idea what you're talking about there mate. You can select any of the 32 tracks in a friend lobby, only random lobbies have the 'pick one out of three' system. It's not been THAT long since we played together for you to forget that lol.

Really? Shit. Well that shows how long it has been then to me. Hardly played it like I did MKWii to remember lol. Okay it's redeemed itself a little then.

The other stuff though, and a bunch of others I've mentioned elsewhere, seems really uncalled for. I want to say a lot of it was due to lack of time, and some of it probably was, but others I don't think there's any excuse for. Like the item selection or the friend invites system Rudy mentioned that's already on 3DS - the main online game of the console has been so half-arsed on the network side it's kinda disgraceful imo. At this point in time, MK8 should technically be the pinnacle of Nintendo's online service yet, but in all honesty, this is worse than tons of first-year last gen games...nearly decade old games.

I know most people will deal with it and think there's hardly a problem with it, and the faults are minor, and obvs I can deal with it too, but it's the fact there's so many basic and wanted things missing that it just doesn't leave a good impression at all. It's just really weird in fact.

Maybe certain things will still be added in future patches, I dunno. I hope so.

MK8 DLC leaked?

Image for

Image for

Each Add On Content pack will contain two new cups, each with four courses, which, in total, increases the number of available courses by 50 percent. The Add On Content packs include classics like Wario's Gold Mine from Mario Kart Wii, as well as new courses, some taking place in the worlds of The Legend of Zelda and Animal Crossing. New vehicles will also arrive with each pack, including the Blue Falcon kart representing the F-Zero franchise in the first AOC pack.

Mario Kart 8 Pack 1 - Released: November 2014

Pack 1 includes:

3 Characters: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link
4 Vehicles
8 Courses

Mario Kart 8 Pack 2 - Released: May 2015

Pack 2 includes:

3 Characters: Villager, Isabelle, Dry Bowser
4 Vehicles
8 Courses

As a bonus for purchasing both packs - as a bundle or separately - you can get eight different-coloured Yoshis and eight different-coloured Shy Guys that can be used right away.

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

Image for

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ddc/the-legend-of-zelda-x-mario-kart-8-aoc-pack-digital-download/10991121.html

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-ddc/animal-crossing-x-mario-kart-8-aoc-pack-digital-download/10991122.html

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882800

( Edited 26.08.2014 22:36 by Azuardo )

Comment on Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Developer

Nintendo

Publisher

Nintendo

Genre

Driving

Players

C3 Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10

Reader Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10 (5 Votes)

European release date Out now   North America release date Out now   Japan release date Out now   Australian release date Out now    Also on Also on Nintendo eShop
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex

There are 1 members online at the moment.