What is your Game of the year so far?

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

For me...

Bioshock Infinite: The gameplay felt a little simplistic at times, but the story and world were mindblowingly good.  The game had balls. It could have so easily been a cash grab, but instead it shows developers what a sequel should be. Can't wait for Burial at Sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHW78X1XeE

I too must go for Bioshock Infinite. Can't recall too many experiences that have held my attention for the duration quite like it. 

Fire Emblem Awakening would be a close runner up for me.

Toughie - I'd say Pikmin 3 for me, plus the absolutely sublime Project M - more of a mod, but feels like a fresh experience for me! J

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

So far mine's Fire Emblem: Awakening closely followed by Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Potential games that could still take it are The Wonderful 101, Tales of Xillia and Pokémon X/Y.

Our member of the week

Fire Emblem: Awakening is the game I played most this year, so that would be it. I total 130+ hours already, and I am still going back to it whenever I get the time. First game I ever bought DLC for, even!

I'm surprised no one mentions Animal Crossing: New Leaf, despite surely being the most owned game at the moment among the regular members on the website Smilie

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate but mainly because that's the only thing I've properly played this year. =P

RudyC3 said:
I'm surprised no one mentions Animal Crossing: New Leaf, despite surely being the most owned game at the moment among the regular members on the website Smilie
I think that's because it's not the type of game many of us would consider as a candidate for their Game of the Year, no matter how good it is.

Probably a very easy question - I see AC:NL coming up a lot - can anyone give me 3 reasons why I should give it a go - have played WW and LGTTC and found both games... okay!

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

If you didn't love the previous games in the series, there probably isn't any reason you'd find New Leaf any more compelling. It's the best game in the series, but it's still the same concept.

Personally, despite it's improvements, I haven't played it once since the first week I owned it. Just didn't get hooked the way I did with the old ones! Maybe once classes start again I'll get back into a rhythm of waking up, checking my town, going to class, checking between classes, etc.

Does EarthBound count? Smilie Cause if so, EarthBound for sure.

If not, then Pikmin 3Persona 4 Golden or Tales of Xillia are probably my goty so far. It's a tough choice! Especially as I haven't really had time to get stuck into P4G yet.

All that said I'm currently pretty confident that Pokémon XY will be my goty come the year's end. It's doing all the things I've wanted Pokémon to do for so darn long.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Dishonored even though it came out last year

Tomb Raider for me. Amazing atmosphere with a well put together story and campaign that seems to just flow perfectly. Combat was well done and the platforming is fantastic. Definitely brought Lara into the big leagues and well earning of the "AAA" status.

Need to shout out for DmC: Devil May Cry for just being a whole heap of fun. Not since the original game has a DmC game gained this much respect from me.

Reboots have kicked ASS this year. Smilie

Dunno. Animal Crossing: New Leaf? I play that some days more than I play out my real life.

I should play more games.

( Edited 31.08.2013 23:48 by Slydevil )

IANC said:
Dude yuor totally awesome. And i won't be killing you anytime soon.

I knew I'd be changing my mind all the time, but now I think Wonderful101 is a fantastic candidate too. Once you get used to the gameplay it's exhilarating, completely original, and over the top in a way that really works. Solid difficult that doesn't piss you off when it punishes you, and tons and tons of value. I personally think it's Platinum's best game yet and Hideki Kamiya's ode to everything he's ever loved and directed, it's a shame that the controls have fissured opinions somewhat. Even bigger shame that it's not selling, because man does it deserve to. I guess that's just Platinum's curse.

PS. the credits confirmed my suspicions that Nintendo worked heavily on the game alongside Platinum (largely localisation efforts) and that Nintendo own the copyrights. I hope Kamiya can make the sequel he wants to make someday. Smilie

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

SuperLink said:
I knew I'd be changing my mind all the time, but now I think Wonderful101 is a fantastic candidate too. Once you get used to the gameplay it's exhilarating, completely original, and over the top in a way that really works. Solid difficult that doesn't piss you off when it punishes you, and tons and tons of value. I personally think it's Platinum's best game yet and Hideki Kamiya's ode to everything he's ever loved and directed, it's a shame that the controls have fissured opinions somewhat. Even bigger shame that it's not selling, because man does it deserve to. I guess that's just Platinum's curse.

I agree, only that The Wonderful 101 isn't just a candidate for me but outright became my new Game of the Year. At this point I highly doubt even Tales of Xillia or Pokémon X/Y will stand a chance and those are two of my favourite franchises. I've simply never played a game like this before and you can feel that it's full of love for gaming and imagination. Some people hating the controls was inevitable since that always happens with unconventional control schemes that people have to actually learn first, just look at Okami (Wii version) or Skyward Sword. I'll be playing Tales of Xillia now but I'm totally going back to The Wonderful 101 afterwards, it's just too good to not play through at least several times.

I'm really liking Luigi's Mansion 2 (thought i'd drop it in there) but its been a good year for games, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Fire Emblem and Bioshock surely have to be the top of lists.

Pokemon X/Y would also be a serious contender too! 

It's starting to sound like GTAV is the real deal, too. Going to be a tough one when the major media outlets start coming out with their lists. Guessing it'll be a three way battle between:

- Bioshock Infinite
- The Last of Us
- GTA V

I have a feeling The Last of Us will be the trendy pick, with GTA 5 close behind. Infinite may well get snubbed due to the (far overblown, imo) controversy over the violence - I don't think I've ever seen a game put under more scrutiny than Infinite. 

Hoping Fire Emblem gets some nods, at least from Nintendo centric sites.

Probably Monster Hunter followed closely by Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Fire Emblem for me. Not received my copy of Rayman Legends yet, that could be in with a shout.

I think right now I have to go with Pikmin 3 although Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is a close second. Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Earthbound are also candidates.

I can't really choose between Tomb Raider and Pikmin 3. I also liked Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, but an expansion just isn't GOTY material. Other than that I didn't play too many new games.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
mikem52, Nayu

There are 2 members online at the moment.