Original Pokemon (RBY) references in X and Y

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 20.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Whilst people have been talking about the possibility of references to Ruby/Sapphire and the potential for remakes, I think the references similarities to the 1st generation of pokemon games are far more apparent and intriguing. 

Note: There may be mild SPOILERS BELOW as it is dealing with information on the new games. I don't think they'll be anything that will negatively impact the play experience for anyone, so I've mostly left the spoiler tags out.

References/Similarities to RBY:
1) Most obviously the choice between Bulasaur, Charmander and Squirtle near the start of the game.

2) Santalune Forest is a clear homage to Viridian Forest. Not only does it appear at virtually the same point in the game, but it also has exactly the same pokemon in (Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey and Pikachu) and the path is very similar (if not identical!) to Viridian Forest.

3) You can catch Mewtwo after completing the games

4) There's a place called Zubat Cave! (Isn't every cave Zubat Cave? Smilie )

5) There's an NPC that refers to a trainer that came from another place and said "Smell ya later!" all the time. Shorts guy also makes a return!

Pokemon Origins also has many references to the first pokemon games. The idea of releasing a show now based on a game released 15+ years ago is surprising, but it's more surprising to see so many things directly related to the game.

There's a bit of a chicken and egg situation here, but really it adds more intrigue as to why Nintendo would choose to hark back to something so old, particularly when their core market for pokemon wouldn't have been born at the time. 

Perhaps they are simply targeting the nostalgia factor of older fans (or past fans). After all, nostalgia has helped get things like the Smurfs and Transformers back in the cinema. But if that's so then why now? And why are the references generally subtle?

Another thing that struck me about X and Y is the general lack of new pokemon, which appear to have capped off at around the 70 mark. This means that a lot of the pokemon you catch you've seen before, which is a major departure from Black and White (although I've never played B+W 2). I for one love this, as it gives me a chance to "catch up" on pokemon that I may have missed and revel in a bit of nostalgia, but it seems an unusual route to take given the fact that so much other stuff has changed. Maybe that was the point of X and Y though: let's have Charizard, Mewtwo and co. become even more awesome and battle it out  in full 3D. I suppose the Mega Evolutions have allowed a way to power up old favourites without the potential disappointment of old pokemon.

What do you think? Are there more 1st gen references in X and Y? And why are there so many in the first place?

( Edited 23.10.2013 19:39 by Cheesing it up )

Probably because they probably realise it maybe time to bridge the gap between first gen and current gen for the players, try to claw back those who may have left the series during the last few games at least - methinks!

I'm also considering 2016 to be an important year, possibly. I reckon they may just release the biggest-freaking-game ever. I'd love a 20th anniversary game where players can visit any of the regions and battle for a shed load of badges.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
mikem52

There are 1 members online at the moment.