The Super Smash Bros. 4 General Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Share Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo 3DS) friend codes, online trades and chat live.

User Poll - Which version of SSB4 will you be getting?

Wii U
3DS
Both
Image for

(thread image subject to change if anyone feels like making a nice one!)

• Wii U - Winter 2014
  • 3DS - 13/09/14 JP, 3/10/14 US/EU, 4/10/14 AUS
On this beautiful morn (actually it's kinda grey and raining) I woke up and realised.. It's August! That means it's only 2 months and 2 days until the release of one of this gen's most anticipated games, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS​, releasing on the 3rd of October. The Wii U version, probably even more anticipated by more invested gamers, will follow afterwards this Winter. I figured since it's getting so close it was about time we got some more discussion up here on Cubed3 dot com!!

Of course, one of the most popular topics of discussion when it comes to Smash is the character roster, and here's how the wonderful roster is shaping up so far;

Image for

Full Complete Roster (spoilers) under the spoiler tags! This Roster will feature in both versions.

Do you have any predictions for what's left to come for the Wii U version?

Of course when it comes to Smash, the playable roster may be the main attraction for some but it's still the tip of the iceberg. For example, in recent weeks, the Miiverse Pic of the Day has shown an increasingly common amount of new content such as New Stages, New Assist Trophies, and even New Game Modes, making it seem like the Smash hype train is going to get better and better in the run up to release. What about you, C3? What are your biggest questions or hopes for either version of SSB4? What's excited you the most about the games so far? And what are you looking forward to trying most when you get your hands on it?

Recent News/Reveals (last 2 weeks newest to oldest):

( Edited 12.09.2014 20:04 by SuperLink )

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

YES, I voted before the topic creator! I win! Smilie

I see no 'Neither' option lulz

Cool, the OT links from both game's data pages direct to this topic now.

It is possible to direct the online chat topics too, but I fear about something like the Pokemon Safari thread, with tons of randomers appearing to ask people to add/fight and actual discussion getting lost. But it's a dilemma because people will likely use this thread to arrange matchups anyway, like what happened with the MK8 topic. It'd be nice to have it all in one place, but that worry is there (the Pokemon Safari topic spam).

( Edited 01.08.2014 15:58 by Azuardo )

I know you said you like Mario Kart far more than Smash, but are you really going to skip the Wii U version, Az?

I will definitely get it. I love all the music and unlockables and trophy descriptions and stuff lol. Just a bit unsure if I'll buy right away. Will just see how I feel closer the time.

I think ideally the Chats will link to the individual Online threads for each, and maybe each thread could link back here for the option of general game discussion. It'd definitely be a shame if this thread was bogged down by ID/Code swapping rather than game discussion.

Azuardo said:
I will definitely get it. I love all the music and unlockables and trophy descriptions and stuff lol.

That's one thing I'm a bit uncertain on, unlocks. So many modern fighting games just have everything unlocked right away, and Smash 4 may do the same. There are arguments for pros and cons of this either way, but I personally just always loved the feeling of getting that iconic "Challenger Approaching!" screen.

Smash wouldn't be the same without it Smilie (especially if it's Jigglypuff)

( Edited 01.08.2014 16:01 by SuperLink )

I'd much rather only have a third of the roster unlocked at the start. The only sad thing is that the "Challenger Approaching!" thing will lose a lot of its appeal for people like us who probably won't be able to dodge the true, leaked roster from the Japanese release until we play it ourselves. That is, if they don't just announce all characters in advance. Makes little difference to me, either way.

( Edited 01.08.2014 16:07 by SirLink )

SirLink said:
The only sad thing is that the "Challenger Approaching!" thing will lose a lot of its appeal for people like us who probably won't be able to dodge the true, leaked roster from the Japanese release until we play it ourselves. That is, if they don't just announce all characters in advance. Makes little difference to me, either way.

Yeah, thing is I reckon we will have most of if not all the cast announced before release, and even if we don't I'll be actively seeking the full roster list (mostly because I just have to know if there are any Golden Sun characters or not!)

Still, even when knowing who the characters are, there's something exciting about that challenger screen. And for the few people out there who manage to go into this game completely blank.. they could well have a lot of surprises to look forward to.

Just realised you get the 3DS friend codes at the top of the OT. For whatever reason, it shows the 3DS game being linked as the main game, rather than the Wii U one.

Well, whatever.

DIXIE FOR SSB4

I'm still hoping for a single player adventure type mode for the Wii U version. I know lots of people didn't like Subspace Emissary, but I loved it and the cutscenes were really nice. Also, for characters, I'd love to see Dixie Kong added, of course!

Looking forward to both versions!

Marzy said:
I'm still hoping for a single player adventure type mode for the Wii U version. I know lots of people didn't like Subspace Emissary, but I loved it and the cutscenes were really nice. Also, for characters, I'd love to see Dixie Kong added, of course!

Looking forward to both versions!

Yeah same, even if the Subspace game wasn't 100% amazing the cutscenes were a lot of fun, it was awesome to see the characters interact so I hope we get something like that again even if it's not on the same scale as Subspace. I'd even be ok with a smaller Adventure mode like Melee had.

Dixie seems like a really popular choice, I think it would be weird if there was no new DK character considering how successful it's been for Nintendo lately.. but there are only a few new characters to come, so I'm starting to lose hope for my fave picks (Isaac) Smilie sob

Even in Brawl there was a pink Diddy Kong recolour, sort of like they hinted at Dixie Kong. ;_;

I kind of always wanted Chibi-Robo, too, but then I realised he'd be tiny and it wouldn't work with all the other characters being big (unless they made Mecha-Chibi-Robo). x)

( Edited 02.08.2014 14:03 by Marzy )

I'd love Chibi-Robo, I don't think his size would be an issue either because of Olimar and Kirby. I do think he's not popular enough and maybe too obscure to be considered Smilie so I try not to hope for him too hard. Poor Wonder Red couldn't even make it in.

I reckon there'll be at least 45 characters - another row of 9 on the official site - this can't be the final roster just yet.

Adventure mode is a must, with at least CGI endings.

Agree on having locked content - All new characters really should be locked from the start, at least. I hate having everything already available.

Maybe an option on all new save files:

"Unlock all characters and stages?"

YES - Bring on the brawl
NO - I want to unlock things.

( Edited 03.08.2014 13:45 by jb )

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

jb said:
I reckon there'll be at least 45 characters - another row of 9 on the official site - this can't be the final roster just yet.

That's the most interesting part for me, for the longest time I was convinced that we'd get 45 maximum, but now I realise that even with the bare minimum important veterans (Wario, Ice Climbers, Falco, Ganondorf, Ness, MetaKnight, Jigglypuff) that takes the roster to around 45. I'm thinking things might even go nearer to 50 since there are a couple more Newcomers on the way too, even though last year I never would have considered that possible.

Also agreed on the option to have everything unlocked, I think that'd be the best way to make everyone happy, even if it'd make unlocking things feel a bit less special, it's preferable to having everything unlocked right away and no choice in the matter.

PS. I'm pretty convinced we'll get a veteran reveal in the next few weeks, Ganondorf or MetaKnight.

( Edited 03.08.2014 14:07 by SuperLink )

but now I realise that even with the bare minimum important veterans (Wario, Ice Climbers, Falco, Ganondorf, Ness, MetaKnight, Jigglypuff) that takes the roster to around 45

Hmm - to be honest, I'm thinking that Falco and Ganondorf might not be included - MetaKnight seems likely, as does ol' Jigglies. Ness and Ice Climbers would be good too. Not even sure Wario would make the cut, to be honest.

That said, personally I'd be well up for all of these characters to be included - perhaps Sakurai has been keeping an eye on Project M and really wants to go all-out on the roster. Really the key thing people really want to have unlocked are characters, imo, stages are really secondary in the longrun.

Definitely shaping up from what I've played - am really excited Smilie

I'm pretty confident they'll be back, but you're right, anything could happen at this point. Sakurai has definitely been keeping an eye on Project M, a lot of the new features like multiple tether recoveries at once, and some of Sonic's new moves, seem almost directly inspired by Project M featured.

Meanwhile, Nintendo of Europe's Twitter proves once again that they're better with captions than Nintendo of America.

Image for

I'll weep if Wario doesn't come back. ;_;

Honestly it's pretty hard to judge who'll go tbh, since Sakurai is pretty unpredictable at times. I definitely think Ganondorf and Wario are coming back and Snake is most likely gone although I'm not really sure about the others.
Then again I'm pretty happy with the roster we've got so if most of the veterans in brawl return, I'll be incredibly satisfied with the roster!

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

Well as soon as Nintendo announces the next character (well, I hope they do), then we can at least guarantee another 9 up to 45. But, blimey, 45 characters!

Yeah, it's definitely getting insane with the amount of characters we may end up getting! Not long until Japan's release date and ours as well tbh.

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

Marzy said:
I'll weep if Wario doesn't come back. ;_;

I'm like 99% sure he will Smilie his logo appears in the game for Waluigi and Ashley's Assists afterall. I also think we'll see a veteran this week, but we're even more likely to see one (Ganondorf) next week.

Image for

Pic of the day.
Victini and Xerneas are both support Pokémon. Victini's Victory Star boosts the attack of whoever throws the Poké Ball, and also prevents flinching. Xerneas's Geomancy increases the launch power of all fighters, but exceptionally raises it for whoever had the Poké Ball.

Besides Monday's pic, this weeks pics haven't been as interesting as last week's. I wonder if they're saving for something special on Friday or next week Smilie what do you mean wishful thinking

I'm like 99% sure he will, his logo appears in the game for Waluigi and Ashley's Assists afterall.

Woot! ^_^

Some early advertising in Japan for the 3DS version.

Oh, and you can now buy tophies! I really like that idea, since I find it really hard to get them all. I'm sure it'll still be challenging to get them still, since I'd imagine some are expensive to get.

Image for

( Edited 07.08.2014 10:32 by Marzy )

Today's update is awesome! And here's why!

Image for

Pic of the day. Here's the trophy gallery for the 3DS version. You can rotate the trophies by drawing circles on the bottom screen. Super Smash Bros. Brawl had tons of trophies, but rumor has it that the 3DS version alone may have more than Brawl. Looks like the Dr. Wily that we made from scratch for the 3DS version is on his knees in disbelief.

Smilie!!
Unbelievable! I never expected a handheld Smash would have more Trophies than Brawl, they already seem much better than the ones in Brawl too, this is great news! No wonder Dr. Wily is so shocked.

Also, seems like there are also trophies of Oikonny, Zelda's Phantom (it has the DS visual style unlike the realistic one from Zelda's moveset), and Viridi!

Just how many trophies will the Wii U version have then? o.O A trophy shop will be really nice to combat the randomness a bit. I know in Brawl it was a pain to get that last sticker I was missing for ages.

With Sakurai on the job, nobody should have ever expected that the 3DS version wouldn't be crammed full with all kinds of stuff. That's just how he works, and Kid Icarus: Uprising had no shortage of that, either.

Comment on Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo 3DS)

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Developer

Bandai Namco

Publisher

Nintendo

Genre

Fighting

Players

C3 Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10

Reader Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10 (6 Votes)

European release date Out now   North America release date Out now   Japan release date Out now   Australian release date Out now    Also on Also on Nintendo eShop
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex

There are 1 members online at the moment.